ADVERTISEMENT

For Purdue's system, what is the primary skill a quarterback needs to have?

What is the number 1 skill a Purdue QB needs to succeed in this system?

• Accuracy

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • Ability to thread the needle

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • High football IQ

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Arm strength

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Quick release

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Mobility

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fire (unquenchable thirst to win)

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Historically, what is the number one thing a QB has to have to succeed at Purdue? (understanding that it is a combo of the list, what still needs to stand out) Knowing some folks won't want to limit it to one, you can vote for 2.

Accuracy and the ability to quickly process information and make decisions under pressure
I was going to add "Good field vision" but I think I was putting that and your second response under Football IQ, although maybe those aren't equivalent. Agree with it, though.

Accuracy, then quick release. When Purdue has found success in the big, it’s always been through the air, often with a pretty spread out field of receiving targets to choose from. Purdue will always have an uphill battle matching up with the better programs’ defensive lines, so good decision making, quick reads, and fast releases with accurate passes are key here more than most places. When we’ve been able to get a good running game going, it’s usually been born out of the defense keying in more on the passing game. IMO, intangibles like “fire to win” are assumed or at least can be coached and brought out by team culture.

I’d include High football IQ, but we can only pick 2. Because if you don’t have accuracy and a quick release, in the immortal words of James Hatfield, nothing else matters.

Last edited:
Accuracy, then quick release. When Purdue has found success in the big, it’s always been through the air, often with a pretty spread out field of receiving targets to choose from. Purdue will always have an uphill battle matching up with the better programs’ defensive lines, so good decision making, quick reads, and fast releases with accurate passes are key here more than most places. When we’ve been able to get a good running game going, it’s usually been born out of the defense keying in more on the passing game. IMO, intangibles like “fire to win” are assumed or at least can be coached and brought out by team culture.

But if you don’t have accuracy and a quick release, in the immortal words of James Hatfield, nothing else matters.
Nice Metallica reference👍

Isn't accuracy and thread the needle basically the same thing?
My though it accuracy is being able to put the ball in the receivers hands often on short, medium and long passes. Threading the needle is putting it on the money when a guy has one or more defenders in the very near vicinity. Almost all QB's can hit a wide open guy; but it takes timing, accuracy and a certain Je ne sais quoi (or maybe devil-may-care?) mindset to do it. The best have it, the middling don't.

Accuracy. Brohm also wants someone who will push the ball downfield (plummer lacked that)

Reactions: Tommaker
Quick through your READS (can’t believe this isn’t on there - it ruined plummer) and accuracy all day every day
That was sort of my point, too. I don't think IQ quite captures it. You could have a high IQ and yet be indecisive or timid. I am around people like that everyday and they are functionally worthless. Taking 5 seconds to read through progressions and then pull the trigger results in a sack. Or you become Checkdown Charlie.

ADVERTISEMENT