ADVERTISEMENT

Fletcher Loyer

what does it say when an ncoming recruit admits publically that we seem to be weak at the Pg position? and that he admits he's a shooter , but is willing to try to be a PG ? When are we going to sto p recruiting combo guards and shooters, and start recruiting PGs that can distribute the ball and be a floor general?

We can't even use that good old recruiting tool of immediate playing time to attract a transfer PG. What is it about Purdue that true PGs hate and don't want to be a part of ???

a true PG could easily get 8-10 assists a game with the other shooters on this team. As Tina turner would say: we don't need another shooter. what's beyond the Thunder sweet 16?
Your questions are easy to answer.

Painter will never stop recruiting shooting guards. I'm surprised that you think he shouldn't have recruited Carsen and Ivey.

He has always recruited "PGs that can distribute the ball and be a floor general". I'm surprised that you are on a website that discusses it every year, and yet you didn't know this.

Reactions: pboiler18
IMO Morton will be here three more years, as I think he would have redshirted his freshman year if it had counted against his eligibility. I've said this before, but I see him as an all-B1G player by his final two years.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Not sure why your inability to follow the thread and your poor comprehension of what I wrote makes you think I don't understand this situation. Maybe you don't need to push the personal insult right in the middle of the point you are making? That said, your point is very valid. Williams had the most spectacular and effective assists on the team. I doubt Morton will operate at the same level, but if he becomes a good facilitator, we will be okay, and maybe better than okay.

Each year Painter has fielded a different team based on the talent he gets. Each year people freeze that previous year's team's play in their minds and look for one-for-one replacements of the lost components. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. There is no replacing a Hummel, Williams, Edwards, or Ivey. There is just next year's team, and you can bet the mortgage that it will look and play differently than the past year's edition.

Last edited:
I think assist numbers in Painters offense should have an * next to them. Dumping the ball into a 7'4 guy on the low block and him making a shot isn't really a unique skill.
Breaking your man down off the bounce, getting into the lane, drawing the D and hitting the open cutter to the bucket is the kind of assists we need.
ANY assist that results in a bucket is what we need. If Kuafman or Hiede can break down his man and drive the basket, that works too. Not sure why you think it has to be a guard. As long as you can break down a defender, or a defense, it doesn't matter who, or which position does it.

8_0

Reactions: Schnelk
"what does it say when an ncoming recruit admits publically that we seem to be weak at the Pg position? "
It means we are telling a good recruit there is a fit for him. Why would he not say that Purdue has told him he is needed because we can use help in the position he plays. I don't get why you are using this as some sort of validation of your arguement. I think we all agree that we would like better players to come to Purdue. They need to know they are needed!

what does it say when an ncoming recruit admits publically that we seem to be weak at the Pg position? and that he admits he's a shooter , but is willing to try to be a PG ? When are we going to sto p recruiting combo guards and shooters, and start recruiting PGs that can distribute the ball and be a floor general?

We can't even use that good old recruiting tool of immediate playing time to attract a transfer PG. What is it about Purdue that true PGs hate and don't want to be a part of ???

a true PG could easily get 8-10 assists a game with the other shooters on this team. As Tina turner would say: we don't need another shooter. what's beyond the Thunder sweet 16?
I missed this gem originally from wooly…
Great PGs from this class we lost due to NIL. Let’s not kid ourselves.
let’s look at painters PH recruiting over the past 6 years…
2023 - DGL. Got him, top target for PG.
2022 - painter recruited Bruce Thornton. A true Pg. Can’t recall the reason he committed to OSU but then got our next target Braden Smith. We really liked him and hope we see why some day. It’s not like we offered 20 PGs and struck out.
2021 - small class and we were loaded at PG. We only had 3 commits, 0 PG offers. We didn’t lose here. We won’t be able to recruit every position every year.
2020 - got his man, Morton. Called him the best passer and he may have 3 more years to prove it.
2019 - another year we were loaded at Pg. Lost out on francis which is understandable and took IT.
2018 - recruited pg hard that year. Surprised initially on phinisee. We had tyger campbell all but committed after he decommited from DePaul before he surprised the world and went to ucla for $$.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerAndy
IMO Morton will be here three more years, as I think he would have redshirted his freshman year if it had counted against his eligibility. I've said this before, but I see him as an all-B1G player by his final two years.
It's not easy being all B1G. Here is the entire list of All B1G guards under Painter:
1. E Moore (2 time)
2. Carson Edwards (2 time)
3. Jaden Ivey (one time)

ANY assist that results in a bucket is what we need. If Kuafman or Hiede can break down his man and drive the basket, that works too. Not sure why you think it has to be a guard. As long as you can break down a defender, or a defense, it doesn't matter who, or which position does it.

8_0
I agree. But we don’t have a lot of players who can do that. Last year, only Ivey and TW. Everyone else was a catch n shoot type.

I missed this gem originally from wooly…
Great PGs from this class we lost due to NIL. Let’s not kid ourselves.
let’s look at painters PH recruiting over the past 6 years…
2023 - DGL. Got him, top target for PG.
2022 - painter recruited Bruce Thornton. A true Pg. Can’t recall the reason he committed to OSU but then got our next target Braden Smith. We really liked him and hope we see why some day. It’s not like we offered 20 PGs and struck out.
2021 - small class and we were loaded at PG. We only had 3 commits, 0 PG offers. We didn’t lose here. We won’t be able to recruit every position every year.
2020 - got his man, Morton. Called him the best passer and he may have 3 more years to prove it.
2019 - another year we were loaded at Pg. Lost out on francis which is understandable and took IT.
2018 - recruited pg hard that year. Surprised initially on phinisee. We had tyger campbell all but committed after he decommited from DePaul before he surprised the world and went to ucla for $$.
Disagree on 2021. Huge error by Painter to not get an upgrade at PG in the portal. It was pretty obvious that the combination of IT, Hunter and Morton was going to be a poor PG position.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Disagree on 2021. Huge error by Painter to not get an upgrade at PG in the portal. It was pretty obvious that the combination of IT, Hunter and Morton was going to be a poor PG position.
I don’t necessarily disagree with your comment. However we are premature in making this judgement on Morton at this point in his career.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily disagree with your comment. However we are premature in making this judgement on Motion at this point in his career.
Morton is 21 years old. Most students who are his age would be heading into their senior year so he's not young.

Not saying you've done this Mathboy but this thread starts by saying that Loyer may play some point guard, others are saying Smith is going to surprise a lot of people, yet others in this thread say Morton will eventually be All B1G. Still others are hoping Gibbs-Lawhorn reclassifies and Painter is still looking for a transfer.

So I'll ask anyone who cares to answer, who will be the starting point guard in 2022? What about 2023? Because whoever that is will get 25 to 30 minutes and there will be 10 to 15 minutes left for someone else. That's it.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your comment. However we are premature in making this judgement on Motion at this point in his career.
Really? I think we pretty much know what we're going to get. He's not going to suddenly get quicker and more athletic.
He's a pretty good defender, hits the occaisonal open 3, looks to pass first, not much off the bounce or ability to get his own shot. Decent ball handler bringing it up the floor.

Morton is 21 years old. Most students who are his age would be heading into their senior year so he's not young.

Not saying you've done this Mathboy but this thread starts by saying that Loyer may play some point guard, others are saying Smith is going to surprise a lot of people, yet others in this thread say Morton will eventually be All B1G. Still others are hoping Gibbs-Lawhorn reclassifies and Painter is still looking for a transfer.

So I'll ask anyone who cares to answer, who will be the starting point guard in 2022? What about 2023? Because whoever that is will get 25 to 30 minutes and there will be 10 to 15 minutes left for someone else. That's it.

I would wager Morton is the starting PG. We have an Indinia problem with too many forwards and not enough guards. At least we have shooting, tho. Need Newman&Morton to either be borderline All-B1G or Loyer/Smith/Heide/Waddell to make an impact (3 of them are coming off injury) to make waves in the B1G. Our front court is too good, IMO, to drop any lower than 5th in conference.

On offense I think it’s Morton. I’m defense it will be matchup dependent.

I would wager Morton is the starting PG. We have an Indinia problem with too many forwards and not enough guards. At least we have shooting, tho. Need Newman&Morton to either be borderline All-B1G or Loyer/Smith/Heide/Waddell to make an impact (3 of them are coming off injury) to make waves in the B1G. Our front court is too good, IMO, to drop any lower than 5th in conference.
Asking Newman or Morton to be borderline all B10 is a massive leap from where either are currently.

Purdue is more likely to finish 10th than 5th this coming season. Last time they did finish outside the Top 5? The 19-20 season. And the guard position was better that season than this coming season. Hunter, Proctor, Stefanovic, Thompson and Eastern were the group of guards and surrounded a big duo of Williams and Haarms. This year it's Morton, Loyer, Newman and Smith. Unless Painter has some magic up his sleeve, I'll say NIT is the most likely.

I think the year will start with Morton as the primary ball handler. Probably Smith will come off the bench in relief. I really don’t have an opinion on Loyer, since I have not followed him close enough to share even an unfounded opinion, something all too common on these boards.

I don’t think either Morton or Smith are going to be All-BIG as point guards, so let’s put that nonsense to bed. Will they be adequate PG’s? Yes. We will win games based on the other players on the court, not because of our PGs.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
If you read the Indy star article on point guards, it sure sounds like Morton is our starter based on Matt painters comments unless he finds the “quintessential point.” We had a transfer from Utah over this weekend who sounds like will play more of the 2.

Purdue is more likely to finish 10th than 5th this coming season. Last time they did finish outside the Top 5? The 19-20 season. And the guard position was better that season than this coming season. Hunter, Proctor, Stefanovic, Thompson and Eastern were the group of guards and surrounded a big duo of Williams and Haarms. This year it's Morton, Loyer, Newman and Smith. Unless Painter has some magic up his sleeve, I'll say NIT is the most likely.

I would say let's have a wager, but I am guessing you won't be around by the time next bball season is over.

I would say let's have a wager, but I am guessing you won't be around by the time next bball season is over.
Nothing to wager. It's just the more likely scenario. I guess they could get some good help from the Big Ten being down though.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say, no other Big Ten school is too worried about Braden Smith. In fact, will probably love putting on the pressure next season. Loyer should be able to contribute right away.

No one in the B1G fears Chucky Hepburn either. If Smith can stay healthy and do what Hepburn did for Wisky last year, I'll be absolutely thrilled.

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
They were 9-11 that year, not terrible. But they were a TERRIBLE shooting team that year, not sure I would agree the guard position was better. Pretty bad when Nojel Eastern was statistically one of the better shooters at guard. Look at these FG% numbers in conference....
Eastern 405
Hunter 390
Proctor 389
IT 370
Sasha 361
Wheeler 222
And as a team shot 0.311 from 3 in conference. This past year we shot 0.380. Quite a difference. Morton shot 0.419 in conference last year and 0.400 from 3 in conference games. Newman had a small sample size but overall shot 0.321 from 3 (but 0.379 the prior year on a larger sample size). I think we will be a better shooting team than the 2019-2020 team.

No one in the B1G fears Chucky Hepburn either. If Smith can stay healthy and do what Hepburn did for Wisky last year, I'll be absolutely thrilled.
Sure I guess. But Hepburn was coming out of HS ranked 128th at 6-1 185lbs. While Smith is coming out of HS at #195 and 5-10 165.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
I would wager Morton is the starting PG. We have an Indinia problem with too many forwards and not enough guards. At least we have shooting, tho.

Today's game kinda trending towards forwards though. Look at Boston Celtics. They have Marcus Smart as a guard, but Robert Williams is a forward, Horford is a F/C, and both Tatum and Brown are forwards. That is what allow the team to switch on all ball screens defensively.

I see MSU moving that way too. They were playing with a plethora of forwards: Hauser, Bingham, Gabe Brown, Malik Hall, Marble, Brooks. Even their guards, Christie was 6'6 and Hoggard 210-lb. That allowed them to switch on ball screens.

Sure I guess. But Hepburn was coming out of HS ranked 128th at 6-1 185lbs. While Smith is coming out of HS at #195 and 5-10 165.

Smith is listed as 6'0 180-lb on the Purdue official page. Looking at his muscle, I think he is closer to 180 than 165.

FH8fJ8GX0AUT9HX

Nope. It's was just more likely of Top 150 recruit to perform well. Name the last 5-10 kid ranked outside the Top 150 to perform well in the Big Ten.
Well, Zach obviously wasn't ranked in the top 150. Most people don't use the top 150 as a marker of talent, but personally i think if the kid is outside the top 100 your expectations should be limited for 2 years.

I would look at Morton as he was a fringe top 100 kid that hasn't really moved the needle to much. Now, you could also look at Pack and he would discredit your personal assumptions.

Well, Zach obviously wasn't ranked in the top 150. Most people don't use the top 150 as a marker of talent, but personally i think if the kid is outside the top 100 your expectations should be limited for 2 years.

I would look at Morton as he was a fringe top 100 kid that hasn't really moved the needle to much. Now, you could also look at Pack and he would discredit your personal assumptions.
Sure Edey wasn't. Edey is also 7-3 and not 5-10. It's not that shorter guards can't succeed, it's just not very likely. And Smith isn't exactly what you'd consider blazingly fast or strong.

The B1G will likely be bad this year. After looking at all the rosters linked in another thread yesterday, I'd be shocked if Purdue isn't top 6 or 7 and a bubble team. This roster in last year's B1G might finish 10th, but it's been awhile since the league has been this down IMO.

Edey will be an AA level center if he continues to improve at the same yearly rate. Even if he plateaus he'll be ALL B1G simply with the minutes jump. Surrounding him with guys who have proven they can hit 35-40% from 3 might be tough to deal with (all the guys returning with college experience have shown they're capable to hit at that rate, and Smith/Loyer might be the best pure shooters on the team.) Yes, they don't have a true PG, but every B1G team has it's flaws.

This will be a classic B1G team that methodically wins possession war by pounding the glass and minimize TO by playing a half court game. It will not be a formula to go deep in March, but this team is going to be built to grind out some B1G wins in January and February, especially since half of the league looks really bad.

Reactions: TX4GB
The B1G will likely be bad this year. After looking at all the rosters linked in another thread yesterday, I'd be shocked if Purdue isn't top 6 or 7 and a bubble team. This roster in last year's B1G might finish 10th, but it's been awhile since the league has been this down IMO.

Edey will be an AA level center if he continues to improve at the same yearly rate. Even if he plateaus he'll be ALL B1G simply with the minutes jump. Surrounding him with guys who have proven they can hit 35-40% from 3 might be tough to deal with (all the guys returning with college experience have shown they're capable to hit at that rate, and Smith/Loyer might be the best pure shooters on the team.) Yes, they don't have a true PG, but every B1G team has it's flaws.

This will be a classic B1G team that methodically wins possession war by pounding the glass and minimize TO by playing a half court game. It will not be a formula to go deep in March, but this team is going to be built to grind out some B1G wins in January and February, especially since half of the league looks really bad.
The Big Ten will likely be bad. And if the book conference is rough, a 5th or 6th place finish my not get you into the tourney. In the 2012-2013 season, the last time Indiana went into the season as Big Ten favorite with an All American center, Iowa finished 9-9 and 6th and didn't make the tourney, Purdue finished 8-10 and tied for 7th and didn't make the tourney. So Purdue has to take care of business in the out of conference schedule. The conference isn't even going to have the top notch teams the league had in that 12-13 season.

ADVERTISEMENT