ADVERTISEMENT

Fletcher Loyer

I don't think people have yet to give enough respects for
this incoming tandem of Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer.

I really like what they are bringing to the team this year.
These two will make a nice tandem of Chris Kramer/Aaron Craft Part Deux.
Two you would just hate if on opposing team, but falling in love if on your team.
Imaging them playing on the same team..

For four years!!

Boiler Up!!

Two you would just hate if on opposing team, but falling in love if on your team.

For four years!!

Boiler Up!!
I'm just going to go out on a limb and say, no other Big Ten school is too worried about Braden Smith. In fact, will probably love putting on the pressure next season. Loyer should be able to contribute right away.

I've said this before, but my buddy who coached him with G. Oden comparing him to a J. Diebler from OSU former top 50 kid. To me that's a pretty nice compliment.

Same kid that would out shoot Goode in practice everyday. I definitely see a bright future for this kid as a Boiler.

Last edited:
Smith & Loyer @ pg in upcoming year. Might work. Might not. I am excited to see these 2 play @ Purdue.

CMP had plans to bring in a productive transfer....but both transfer history & NIL shows you that might not work. Other than Octeus who fell into Purdue's lap late, CMP transfer history isn't great.

Luckily he is a great coach at bringing talent up to par if they have the defensive capabilities. But the D level of Purdue frosh is often the limiting factor.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
As a Hoosier fan, I can state unequivocally that I am very, very excited at the prospect of Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer as Purdue's point guards next year (btw, I think that Loyer is a strong catch and shoot prospect ala Cline). And while I think that Morton is a solid player, I am also very excited that he may be Purdue's point guard next year.

As a Hoosier fan, I can state unequivocally that I am very, very excited at the prospect of Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer as Purdue's point guards next year (btw, I think that Loyer is a strong catch and shoot prospect ala Cline). And while I think that Morton is a solid player, I am also very excited that he may be Purdue's point guard next year.
Unless Painter can pull some magic, we'll be a bottom level B10 team at the G position.

Reactions: DavidBoiler
Unless Painter can pull some magic, we'll be a bottom level B10 team at the G position.

As an outsider it is truly weird to me. Painter has an excellent reputation. Far lesser programs got good guards out of the portal. And the opportunity for minutes and playing with such a good front line should be attractive.

And yet, only four guards on the whole roster? An injury or foul trouble makes that a problem in and of itself.

I've been on record as a full-on Matt Painter fan, but I just don't understand how he can go into a season with only four guards, two of whom have never seen a college court. And no, Waddell and Heide are most certainly not guards. Even in high school they didn't play with the ball in their hands much.

Maybe he's got an experienced international player ready to sign? That's all I can come up with at this point.

As an outsider it is truly weird to me. Painter has an excellent reputation. Far lesser programs got good guards out of the portal. And the opportunity for minutes and playing with such a good front line should be attractive.

And yet, only four guards on the whole roster? An injury or foul trouble makes that a problem in and of itself.

I've been on record as a full-on Matt Painter fan, but I just don't understand how he can go into a season with only four guards, two of whom have never seen a college court. And no, Waddell and Heide are most certainly not guards. Even in high school they didn't play with the ball in their hands much.

Maybe he's got an experienced international player ready to sign? That's all I can come up with at this point.

Like I said above CMP does not have a good history of establishing a short term relationshop & bringing in these good transfers.

What he is good at is IDing talent early & working on a long relationship with great recruits & bringing good ones to Purdue. Newman, Edey, Colvin, DGL, TKR, Frust, Smith & Loyer as well as past Boilers all history of this. Past Boilers I might add that have put down the Hoosiers quite often these last few years.

There are still several lesser guards in the portal perhaps one of those is secured and helps. But in any case alot will be demanded of Loyer & Smith. Offensively they will be fine. Defensively??

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
An ex-diehard Hoosier to a Boiler conversion is always a pleasure!
TIC

Loyer is a very good and smart player. I'm looking forward to years 2-4. Unless he gets a lot stronger in the next 4 months, he will have trouble in conference play. That doesn't mean he can't contribute this year. But to plan/hope that he is a go-to guy at the guard spot year 1 is asking a lot.

Like I said above CMP does not have a good history of establishing a short term relationshop & bringing in these good transfers.

What he is good at is IDing talent early & working on a long relationship with great recruits & bringing good ones to Purdue. Colvin, DGL, TKR, Frust, Smith & Loyer as well as past Boilers all history of this.

There are still several lesser guards in the portal perhaps one of those is secured and helps. But in any case alot will be demanded of Loyer & Smith. Offensively they will be fine. Defensively??
Offensively it helps that Painter runs motion offense. Less need for guards to create mismatches by working of ball screens and creating mismatches off the bounce.

On the other hand, I think all would agree that creating defensive rotation and mismatches for bigs is what good guards can do. Not seeing that.

Reactions: ChuckJr
could have the worst backcourt in the Big Ten. Hope not.. but imho the frontcourt better be scoring 60 points a game.

Offensively it helps that Painter runs motion offense. Less need for guards to create mismatches by working of ball screens and creating mismatches off the bounce.

On the other hand, I think all would agree that creating defensive rotation and mismatches for bigs is what good guards can do. Not seeing that.
I've been reading several posts on here espousing this narrative a lot and while Painter does indeed run a motion offense, if Purdue has inexperienced lesser talented backcourt players than all the other teams they face to run said motion offense, then whatever advantage that motion offensive scheme supposedly affords this team goes out the window imho. You still need high quality skills and experience in the backcourt no matter what offensive scheme Painter runs for this team to succeed. You can spin this any way you want, but the fact remains that Purdue may have a real backcourt problem this coming season. It looks pretty scary to me.

Not worried about anything but D. Typically that is the frosh wall @ Purdue. Both these guards are offensively gifted.

Last edited:
I'm worried about inexperienced guards trying to feed the post... that's a recipe for disaster and we saw this last season when Purdue was turning the ball over 20 times a game with a very experienced, senior laden backcourt. How many turnovers a game will we see this coming season trying to get the ball down low to Edey and Furst and TKR and others? Will we see some 30-40 turnover games from Purdue this coming season? That's what scares me the most. And inexperienced shooters clanking jump shots while turning the ball over 30 times a game? Wow...Not a potentially pretty picture.

And when you don't have any creators in the backcourt who can take the ball and create their own shots off the dribble, they don't have to pass and potentially turn the ball over trying to feed the post but can create and score off the dribble on their own, it makes it much easier for opposing defenses to defend the post entry passes because they know that there are no creators on Purdue, and it just bogs down the offense and will lead to tons of breakaway layups and demoralizing easy buckets for the opposition. That's going to be a real problem for Purdue this coming season imho.

+1

what does it say when an ncoming recruit admits publically that we seem to be weak at the Pg position? and that he admits he's a shooter , but is willing to try to be a PG ? When are we going to sto p recruiting combo guards and shooters, and start recruiting PGs that can distribute the ball and be a floor general?

We can't even use that good old recruiting tool of immediate playing time to attract a transfer PG. What is it about Purdue that true PGs hate and don't want to be a part of ???

a true PG could easily get 8-10 assists a game with the other shooters on this team. As Tina turner would say: we don't need another shooter. what's beyond the Thunder sweet 16?

Reactions: DavidBoiler

and we will still beat IU!

and we will still beat IU!
Woody is 1-1 against Purdue. Given Purdue's roster last year I was satisfied with that outcome.

While the proof will be in the outcomes, I am very much looking forward to our two games this coming year, and throughout the Woodson era.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I've said this before, but my buddy who coached him with G. Oden comparing him to a J. Diebler from OSU former top 50 kid. To me that's a pretty nice compliment.

Same kid that would out shoot Goode in practice everyday. I definitely see a bright future for this kid as a Boiler.
Diebler averaged 41 points, 12 rebounds, and 6 assists his Senior year of high school....

Reactions: johnboiler123
I'm very excited about this class. Loyer is going to be a sniper! In todays game, you can never have enough shooters. Braden will surprise a lot of people. Yes, he is undersized, and everyone says "he is not big or strong enough for the BIG," but just watch out. He is a student of the game. He is a winner. He has a chip on his shoulder and that grit you love in a player. Berg is an interesting prospect and has a skillset we have not typically seen from our bigs. I trust Painter and Brantley and what they have seen. Finally, the player that no one is really talking about is Heide. Another good shooter and he has a great all around game and could possibly contribute this year.

Building on my last comment, dare I say it......all these incoming freshman seem to have a high "basketball IQ", a love for the game and a drive to be better. This is where Purdue has thrived. Painter brings is players that want to get better and have that drive. We can go back, but recent list includes: Carson, Ivey, Williams, Edey.....etc.

I look at a player like TJD for IU. He is the exact same player he was coming out of high school. His skill set has not changed or developed. When he was a freshman, I thought to myself....if he works on his game and can develop an jump shot or 3pt shot, he will be a lottery pick. But, 3 years in and he is still the same.

Woody is 1-1 against Purdue. Given Purdue's roster last year I was satisfied with that outcome.

While the proof will be in the outcomes, I am very much looking forward to our two games this coming year, and throughout the Woodson era.
This coming year might be a “down year” for Purdue. Next year IU is set up to have it’s best year in a while. Do you expect IU to sweep? I guess it could happen. You’re not being obnoxious or anything, but I detect some smugness. Isn’t IU 1-9 in the last 10 meetings or something? I don’t even know.

Curious. What positions do you expect IU to have such a big advantage? I saw IU being ranked in the top ten by Katz. What are your thoughts?

Painter runs a motion offense, right? Yet when I read some of these "whoe is me" posts, they seem to think that everyone stands in a fixed position with the guards at the back, and the forwards at the front. Really?

For some reason, only Purdue's guards are allowed to make a quick first step and create going toward the basket. That's probably the biggest fallicy I read here, and I read it over and over, post after post. We are going into next season with some very quick and talented forwards that are going to bring a lot of flexibility to the motion. Anyone remember Robbie Hummel? Just say'en.

:cool:

This coming year might be a “down year” for Purdue. Next year IU is set up to have it’s best year in a while. Do you expect IU to sweep? I guess it could happen. You’re not being obnoxious or anything, but I detect some smugness. Isn’t IU 1-9 in the last 10 meetings or something? I don’t even know.

Curious. What positions do you expect IU to have such a big advantage? I saw IU being ranked in the top ten by Katz. What are your thoughts?

I really don't want to turn this into an IU thread, but briefly? IU was something like 1-9 over the last ten against Purdue... and curb-stomped at 0-8 during the Archie era. It's a real part of why Archie is gone (so thanks for that at least).

IU under Woody is different. It should be easy for Purdue fans to see - the game at Mackey when IU was down double digits in a hostile environment? They would've ducked tail and died under Archie - instead they were an open three pointer from leading in the last minute under Woody.

For this season? I expect IU to be really good - while the strength of this IU team is their front line, the big advantage over Purdue is at guard. With X Johnson, a borderline 5 star point/combo in Schifino, a useful Galloway, and Bates who was erratic but showed promise as a freshman that's pretty good - that group has quickness and aggression on defense and the ability to drive past defenders and create mismatches. Need shot makers.

The reason IU should probably be top 15-ish IMO? In an era of huge roster turnover, IU lost almost no players of consequence and added two five stars to a 21 win team. That's an objectively good situation.

Since it's the Loyer thread, let me summarize what I've seen and heard about Loyer: Fantastic catch and shoot in high school and this is important - he did it against top tier competition and in top tier AAU. Not a point guard under any definition but a really good player. Perfect for Painter's offense - curling around a screen ready to rise up for a three.

Purdue brings in five new players - if Kaufman and Loyer aren't far and away the biggest successes from this Purdue class I'd be shocked. Rankings are an inexact science, but rankings coupled with offer list say a lot. Not a fan of Berg or Smith, and Heide was fading as a prospect. Kaufman and Loyer were coveted.

Cheers

Waddell and Heide aren’t guards but Purdue can play them as a more traditional 3/wing. Highly doubtful we go into the season without a late transfer or signee at guard.

I really don't want to turn this into an IU thread, but briefly? IU was something like 1-9 over the last ten against Purdue... and curb-stomped at 0-8 during the Archie era. It's a real part of why Archie is gone (so thanks for that at least).

IU under Woody is different. It should be easy for Purdue fans to see - the game at Mackey when IU was down double digits in a hostile environment? They would've ducked tail and died under Archie - instead they were an open three pointer from leading in the last minute under Woody.

For this season? I expect IU to be really good - while the strength of this IU team is their front line, the big advantage over Purdue is at guard. With X Johnson, a borderline 5 star point/combo in Schifino, a useful Galloway, and Bates who was erratic but showed promise as a freshman that's pretty good - that group has quickness and aggression on defense and the ability to drive past defenders and create mismatches. Need shot makers.

The reason IU should probably be top 15-ish IMO? In an era of huge roster turnover, IU lost almost no players of consequence and added two five stars to a 21 win team. That's an objectively good situation.

Since it's the Loyer thread, let me summarize what I've seen and heard about Loyer: Fantastic catch and shoot in high school and this is important - he did it against top tier competition and in top tier AAU. Not a point guard under any definition but a really good player. Perfect for Painter's offense - curling around a screen ready to rise up for a three.

Purdue brings in five new players - if Kaufman and Loyer aren't far and away the biggest successes from this Purdue class I'd be shocked. Rankings are an inexact science, but rankings coupled with offer list say a lot. Not a fan of Berg or Smith, and Heide was fading as a prospect. Kaufman and Loyer were coveted.

Cheers

Will love it when Smith comes in and shows the B1G what he can do especially when I continue to see comments like this. Would not surprise me (as long as he heals peoperly)if he isn't an All Frosh B10 kid. He is just a warrior that could shock alot of people.

I don't look for minutes from Berg and Heide. As one, Berg, surely will RS or maybe even both might RS.

Last edited:

Cheers
I thought the top ten was aggressive. I’d give IU 20-25 all day. Good roster coming back but got boat raced by St Mary’s in their last game. Purdue lost prior to this year to North Texas and had a top 10 preseason team, so I get the idea there. Added some high end players. The big guy will sit behind TJD while the guard starts immediately.

I wish IU would’ve kept Archie. Probably better off under Woodson. Definitely a better defensive team. I’d be happy this year if Purdue split. I still think it’s close in the Big10 ranks between us. I would expect us both around 3-6.

Loyer is a good player. I hope he can be like Guy from Virginia some day. Maybe in the same mold. We will see if he can become that good.

Berg might surprise you a bit. Looks like he can shoot and play on the perimeter. Teske might be a fair comp. We will see. He probably is a RS.

Smith may be similar to Bohannon offensively but I expect him to be a fiery competitor. He won’t jump off the page athletically, but he’s a very good shooter.

Heide had some injuries. I think he was a really good shooter and had some dunks. Had trouble staying healthy, but has some upside.

I'm just say
Painter runs a motion offense, right? Yet when I read some of these "whoe is me" posts, they seem to think that everyone stands in a fixed position with the guards at the back, and the forwards at the front. Really?

For some reason, only Purdue's guards are allowed to make a quick first step and create going toward the basket. That's probably the biggest fallicy I read here, and I read it over and over, post after post. We are going into next season with some very quick and talented forwards that are going to bring a lot of flexibility to the motion. Anyone remember Robbie Hummel? Just say'en.

:cool:I'm just saying painter has never been able to recruit that elite PURE point guard and i ask why. Painter can recruit BIG men. painter can recruit shooters. painter recruits a lot of combo guards. But painter never seems to be able to land that PURE 4/5 star point guard. neither ivey or carsen were pure point guards. they were combo guards who could handle the ball.

All of the top 50 4/5 star point guards (admitedly there are not many to begin with) don't want to play for Painter.

so i ask, WHY ???? Is it the motion offense? is it they don't get a chance to showcase their talents? is it they hate West lafayette? What is it tha t drives them away?

the only logical answer i could come up with is that a pure point guard must not like playing in painter's offense. You tell me, is there a different reason ?

For four years!!

Boiler Up!!
Loyer's and Kramer's games have nothing in common.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I'm just say

All of the top 50 4/5 star point guards (admitedly there are not many to begin with) don't want to play for Painter.

so i ask, WHY ???? Is it the motion offense? is it they don't get a chance to showcase their talents? is it they hate West lafayette? What is it tha t drives them away?

the only logical answer i could come up with is that a pure point guard must not like playing in painter's offense. You tell me, is there a different reason ?
I wouldn't think having your offense being run through the low post is the type of offense a highly ranked point guard would want to play in.

Purdue has focused on bringing in centers to be the focal point of the offense. The only year that it wasn't the case was Carsen's jr. year. Nothing wrong with that but it's the path Painter has chosen.

I wouldn't think having your offense being run through the low post is the type of offense a highly ranked point guard would want to play in.

Purdue has focused on bringing in centers to be the focal point of the offense. The only year that it wasn't the case was Carsen's jr. year. Nothing wrong with that but it's the path Painter has chosen.
Shooters have done well in the system. We’ve had some good slashers in JI and CE. Painter lets guys that are pros really have lots of freedom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT