ADVERTISEMENT

Flash Flood warnings for East and West Coasts July 9th

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Massive melting of snowflakes after our next SCOTUS is announced. Weeping, wailing, and threats of revolt are coming and I'm happy to see it. Could we have the second Hoosier on the Supreme Court?

Massive melting of snowflakes after our next SCOTUS is announced. Weeping, wailing, and threats of revolt are coming and I'm happy to see it. Could we have the second Hoosier on the Supreme Court?
Well I guess not all of us on the east coast are as hard as you apparently are. I don’t know about the west coast.

Luke 13:28 snippet "There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth..."

I want a contextualist...as much as possible. I want a clone of Scalia! I want the law judged on the law with much less activism and more of an equal branch of the three in place. I want the laws if needing changed, to happen at the house as intended...much closer to the people and people can then vote their representatives in or out as needed. If the laws need changed to get the output desired...let the house change it, but move towards 9 that only rule on law and not extend it past its merits. 5 unelected people serving for as long as they want or can need some type of oversight as well...

I kinda doubt she will get it, but I could be wrong. People forget that the SCOTUS a few years ago were Catholics in the majority (many went to the same parish around McClain, VA) and yet there many things have not changed. ND is a pretty liberal place for Catholics. Anyway..should be interesting. What if Trump completely fools everyone again and appoints someone outside the 4 that have gathered all the attention? Mike Lee???? I doubt it, but wouldn't be totally surprised either.

not melting, but the state of being....and some want more "FREE" education when there is NO sign the previous has been taken advantage????

not melting, but the state of being....and some want more "FREE" education when there is NO sign the previous has been taken advantage????

A meaningless, unrepresentative video of a conservative troll ambushing random people. This is supposed to tell us, what, exactly?

Please start contributing to society and grow up.

This thread, between the idiotic/trolling subject and the circle jerk within is modern American conservatism in a nutshell. What a disaster.

A meaningless, unrepresentative video of a conservative troll ambushing random people. This is supposed to tell us, what, exactly?

It tells us the education system in this country is failing miserably for one.

people are stupid...both sides of the aisle. what it should show is that college students have been indoctrinated with stupidity in a lot of majors where the opportunity exists. Some are like a sponge and absorb it and others not so much. there is a reason the potus should be at least 35 and there is a reason why a 35 year old voter is probably better on the average than the 18-22 that have never been in the real world yet.

Ambushing people...did you really mean that? It appeared they were there on their own for all to see. This was college students and we are to believe they are smarter than those not in college? Was indoctrination not prevalent? Now we can debate what percentage they represent...and that is fair, but it is what it is...a sampling of people that show immense stupidity and indoctrination. Now, for the record I'm not suggesting you couldn't find stupid conservatives, but I doubt they are as prevalent in college as they probably venture into areas less susceptible to majors that allow much material freedom. THE POINT was the views held even though there was NOTHING to suggest they had the slightest idea that nobody has been nominated...just that the person was horrible without even knowing who the person would be. If that doesn't scare you with the taxpayer's money in many cases...what will? Anyway, not meant to be partisan, but merely to show that education has a huge element of indoctrination prevalent...

Reactions: SKYDOG
Ambushing people...did you really mean that?
Yes. We have no idea how many students he approached and we clearly saw his misleading priming of them. It's absolutely an ambush and deeply intellectually dishonest. It tells us nothing.

Anyway, not meant to be partisan, but merely to show that education has a huge element of indoctrination prevalent...

1. It didn't show that.
2. That is an inherently partisan talking point.

Yes. We have no idea how many students he approached and we clearly saw his misleading priming of them. It's absolutely an ambush and deeply intellectually dishonest. It tells us nothing.

1. It didn't show that.
2. That is an inherently partisan talking point.
When you gather up enough data points over many areas and actually review the particular areas...indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses. If you wish to believe different..go ahead. Stupid kids...representative of some video across this country. I guess, my hope for the college student was a bit higher...perhaps I'm wrong and the level is just fine?

When you gather up enough data points over many areas and actually review the particular areas...indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses. If you wish to believe different..go ahead. Stupid kids...representative of some video across this country. I guess, my hope for the college student was a bit higher...perhaps I'm wrong and the level is just fine?

I have pretty good luck hiring college grads from NYC schools, so there's another data point for you. ;)

Mr. Reese explained it very eloquently.
I have listed The Language Police many times to show the bias in education, but it requires something more than Osmosis to understand it. Her study was the result of Clinton wanting her to study bias and her stature in education relative to fads and history is quite esteemed. REad her Bio...

Amazon product ASIN B000XUAEOE

I have pretty good luck hiring college grads from NYC schools, so there's another data point for you. ;)
I don't know that your expectations for work has much to do with their understandings? If your view is your own without any previous study into educaiton...how could we expect to arrive at a similar conclusion?

I don't know that your expectations for work has much to do with their understandings? If your view is your own without any previous study into educaiton...how could we expect to arrive at a similar conclusion?

And I don't know how you can view a video that talks to three college kids as being anything other than biased garbage.

Just curious for what position are these graduates hired for?

Analysis and data science roles.

If they're dumb, they won't get hired. If they fool me and others who interview them, they'll be exposed when their analyses are bad...and they'll be fired.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I cannot disagree with the statement that indoctrination and bias exist in the liberal 4-year university system...but that video was just dumb and you lose credibility in the conversation by even posting it. As miksta noted...it doesn't do anything to actually prove a point. If anything, in a twist of irony it does the opposite by showing that people on the other side of the debate are being "indoctrinated" with information like these videos to solidify their existing bias.

If you wanted to use video to better prove your point, I would have pointed to Steven Crowder's "Change my mind" series where he actually has real conversations and doesn't bait the people he speaks to.

I cannot disagree with the statement that indoctrination and bias exist in the liberal 4-year university system...but that video was just dumb and you lose credibility in the conversation by even posting it. As miksta noted...it doesn't do anything to actually prove a point. If anything, in a twist of irony it does the opposite by showing that people on the other side of the debate are being "indoctrinated" with information like these videos to solidify their existing bias.

If you wanted to use video to better prove your point, I would have pointed to Steven Crowder's "Change my mind" series where he actually has real conversations and doesn't bait the people he speaks to.

The video is not for me...I spent something other than Osmosis to arrive at my views over a few decades...

And I don't know how you can view a video that talks to three college kids as being anything other than biased garbage.
AS I said below...the video is not for me...I knew things long before that video was made.

I can't name his last appointment without looking. This one will be the same. I can't control it, so I couldn't give two rips about it. Overall, I'm glad the SCOTUS will have a conservative lean likely for the bulk of my adult life. Fine by me.

Do try and be less of an asshole.

My anecdotal analysis, having taught thousands of college students over the course of the past 15 years, is that their average intelligence exceeds that of this board by 4.2 orders of magnitude.

Your assertion that "indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses" is both laughable and unfalsifiable.

actually, I doubt anyone changes his or her views on a video... I doubt few on here every change his or her views on much of anything. Just have an eye to see and an ear to hear and then review what is going on in education rather than some hand picked hire that may or may not represent a large segment of the population or a video that by itself may not represent a major or general area either.

If indoctrination was not in play...why multicultural approval of math books as a simple starting point. The father of public education John Dewey declared after visiting Prussia that the greatest goal of education was social reform. You could make an argument that back in the 50s it was pro USA indoctrination, but make no mistake..it is going on.

This issue is that NO SCOTUS was nominated and YET there was bias against the person that has not yet been picked. HOW do we arrive at a conclusion other than bias in education or bias in the media...somewhere...somehow these lemmings are getting fed.

My anecdotal analysis, having taught thousands of college students over the course of the past 15 years, is that their average intelligence exceeds that of this board by 4.2 orders of magnitude.

Your assertion that "indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses" is both laughable and unfalsifiable.

I have tried reviewing this thread to see where I said ""indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses" and admit I cannot find it. I did say some courses allow much more freedom to indoctrinate than other courses or majors. Perhaps we can start there pointing out where I said what I said...so I have a better feel in what you are saying? Also, in what department do you teach as well as the course? I do like the 4.2 number though...

well, I went t through it again and still can't find the quote. I did fine these two though. "
Now we can debate what percentage they represent...and that is fair, but it is what it is...a sampling of people that show immense stupidity and indoctrination. Anyway, not meant to be partisan, but merely to show that education has a huge element of indoctrination prevalent..."

I don't see that supporting your contention that I asserted "indoctrination is absolutely going on in many courses".
Is there a chance that you are commenting on something that doesn't exist? I don't want to believe that you created a strawman that doesn't exist, but you quoted it from someplace. Anyway, I talked about things outside of a single classroom. BTW, what do you teach and where? It is always good to see people exposed to academia foodfights... ;)

This post.

This post.
thank you...I missed it and understand that many to some would be science fields where there is less opportunity. Now, I'll stand by textbook adoption, and the "Now we can debate what percentage they represent...and that is fair" appears to conflict with my poorly worded use of "many". I'm not going to hold him or her to the 4.2 number though...as I understand that to be hyperbole and that is fine. Still, I'm interested in what and where he or she teaches.

thank you...I missed it and understand that many to some would be science fields where there is less opportunity. Now, I'll stand by textbook adoption, and the "Now we can debate what percentage they represent...and that is fair" appears to conflict with my poorly worded use of "many". I'm not going to hold him or her to the 4.2 number though...as I understand that to be hyperbole and that is fine. Still, I'm interested in what and where he or she teaches.

I've taught at a for-profit institution, a community college, and I'm also lucky enough to be employed by our favorite university.

I've taught or am teaching:

Geosystems
General Geography (including both physical and political)
Climate Science
General Physical Science
Critical Thinking

Of the proposed SCOTUS nominee's, will you be happy with any of them?
I won’t be happy or unhappy. However, I think long term people like you who are “happy to see,” whatever ever discomfort you may think you’re seeing, will probably be less satisfied in the long term no matter who it is.

I've taught at a for-profit institution, a community college, and I'm also lucky enough to be employed by our favorite university.

I've taught or am teaching:

Geosystems
General Geography (including both physical and political)
Climate Science
General Physical Science
Critical Thinking
thank you. A poster posted a video about intersectionality which is a joke like african studies, womens studies and so forth. Climate studies does open a window for personal bias especially if the students and teacher do not have much background into modeling and/or regression. I'm guessing your students do not. I'm not saying you are doing this...just that this opens a door of opportunity. I've had my disagreements over the years relative to "critical thinking". It is a goal of education and yet ed skool promotes the socratic method absent the relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain necessary for it to happen. Sorta like talking about the advantages or disadvantages of a man or zone defense absent the real knowledge of each. All that is for another day.

What I did intend to state is that there are a lot of majors that open the door to indoctrination much easier than other majors. I think it is pretty clear that past data shows the political makeup of "most" teachers in college or heads of the departments. There isn't a lot of diversity of conservative and liberal thought across this country..and I say that using the word "diversity" as though it is a good thing...on purpose, but a lead in to it not naturally being a good thing.

It may be good and it may not be good. The fact that many students use it as a "good" thing tells me they don't udnerstand it si a descriptor absent a positive or negative direction. how so many of hte youth were led to believe that it was a "good" thing above a description of a makeup, suggest previous suggestions or teachings as well. That is not random...that is not by chance...another sign that students have been given a bit of a direction to think relative to the political climate.

Seeking diversity as the main goal is bad...having diversity as a by product can be wonderful...diversity in demographics, and particularly in thought!

I think a lot of liberal art studies open the door to indoctrination and a teacher naturally likes to reflect his or her thoughts concerning things to these youngsters will to absorb. My daughter dated this guy for about three years. He used to tell me how he had to be politically correct in his political science class at Notre Dame and not stick out too much as he was surrounded by liberals holding certain beliefs and so he experienced it. I watch him from afar to see if he goes into politics ;) https://au.linkedin.com/in/edwardyap

I too could go on and on about anecdotal evidence of this and that, but Cultural Marxism has been prevalent for some time and it falls in line with some teachers in some fields that allow much more freedom in the subject coverage for a person to inject his or her bias. There is quite a ground swell of youth holding some very unconventional thoughts and so you ask...is this random? IF not random...is it in the air or water we drink? What "thing" affects so many? I even had national policy people tell me that being knowledgable in teh subject area is just not that important...and I'm reminded when public education first started in teh government schools in Columbia Teachers College...the president said no wider road existed in Columbia than the road between the academics and the pedagogy schools. Jumping back a few years just to show that this isn't something just now...I'm going to find a quote .

Here is a 1997 report discussing Senator Robert Bryd's "RAIN FOREST MATH" ...again this is MATH.. https://www.texaspolicy.com/library/doclib/1997-11-15-rejectedbooks.pdf

thank you. A poster posted a video about intersectionality which is a joke like african studies, womens studies and so forth. Climate studies does open a window for personal bias especially if the students and teacher do not have much background into modeling and/or regression. I'm guessing your students do not. I'm not saying you are doing this...just that this opens a door of opportunity. I've had my disagreements over the years relative to "critical thinking". It is a goal of education and yet ed skool promotes the socratic method absent the relevant knowledge in the appropriate domain necessary for it to happen. Sorta like talking about the advantages or disadvantages of a man or zone defense absent the real knowledge of each. All that is for another day.

What I did intend to state is that there are a lot of majors that open the door to indoctrination much easier than other majors. I think it is pretty clear that past data shows the political makeup of "most" teachers in college or heads of the departments. There isn't a lot of diversity of conservative and liberal thought across this country..and I say that using the word "diversity" as though it is a good thing...on purpose, but a lead in to it not naturally being a good thing.

It may be good and it may not be good. The fact that many students use it as a "good" thing tells me they don't udnerstand it si a descriptor absent a positive or negative direction. how so many of hte youth were led to believe that it was a "good" thing above a description of a makeup, suggest previous suggestions or teachings as well. That is not random...that is not by chance...another sign that students have been given a bit of a direction to think relative to the political climate.

Seeking diversity as the main goal is bad...having diversity as a by product can be wonderful...diversity in demographics, and particularly in thought!

I think a lot of liberal art studies open the door to indoctrination and a teacher naturally likes to reflect his or her thoughts concerning things to these youngsters will to absorb. My daughter dated this guy for about three years. He used to tell me how he had to be politically correct in his political science class at Notre Dame and not stick out too much as he was surrounded by liberals holding certain beliefs and so he experienced it. I watch him from afar to see if he goes into politics ;) https://au.linkedin.com/in/edwardyap

I too could go on and on about anecdotal evidence of this and that, but Cultural Marxism has been prevalent for some time and it falls in line with some teachers in some fields that allow much more freedom in the subject coverage for a person to inject his or her bias. There is quite a ground swell of youth holding some very unconventional thoughts and so you ask...is this random? IF not random...is it in the air or water we drink? What "thing" affects so many? I even had national policy people tell me that being knowledgable in teh subject area is just not that important...and I'm reminded when public education first started in teh government schools in Columbia Teachers College...the president said no wider road existed in Columbia than the road between the academics and the pedagogy schools. Jumping back a few years just to show that this isn't something just now...I'm going to find a quote .

Here is a 1997 report discussing Senator Robert Bryd's "RAIN FOREST MATH" ...again this is MATH.. https://www.texaspolicy.com/library/doclib/1997-11-15-rejectedbooks.pdf
perhaps this is really new to some, but as I said...I was involved long before it became fashionable for hte masses to be interested in education. Here is a snippet relative to "rain forest math"...again...let this soak in this was two decades ago and just never started there and it is a MATH book!!! Ever wonder why the math books are so large today?

"I AM a college professor who has algebra homework every night. My teenage daughter is studying algebra using a book that includes Maya Angelou's poetry, pictures of President Clinton, and lectures on what environmental sinners we are.

It has photos of students with names such as Tatuk and Esteban, who offer my daughter thoughts on life. It includes icons for fine arts, industry, and science. The book is full of color pictures and graphics. About the only things you can't find are explanations about how algebra is done and actual algebra problems.

Welcome to rain-forest math. My daughter is studying algebra under a newly adopted, district-wide curriculum that includes an integrative textbook and cooperative/group learning. Students measure their wing spans for a class period. They toss coins for another class period just to be certain we aren't lying to them about probability. For all I know, they're joining hands and singing "Kum By Yah."

Some might say this is indoctrination and even in MATH!!! https://www.csmonitor.com/1996/0402/02182.html

Now I could tell you why she had homework every night, but that too is for another day. Two years after 911 I had invites to Washington, D.C. to represent parents in a forum between NCTM and Mathematically Correct at John Stone's ( https://www.etsu.edu/coe/efse/edfn/faculty/stonej.php ) request in a forum Lynne Cheney was hosting. I didn't go and and have not been involved for the last decade and so I'm not as current as I was...but my exposure to education a bit more than some...

Curious to what is your vocation? You are certainly knowledgeable on many fronts.

Curious to what is your vocation? You are certainly knowledgeable on many fronts.
I'm an engineer. My family had lot of teachers and when I saw many fads going on in education, I became interested enough to study them. education is something that many don't involve themselves with outside of seeing if their children are getting good grades. I saw education as much more than a particular child and such...but the effect on society. Education, religion and politics help frame a lot of people and if you have a bit of knowledge in those three, it allows you an insight that could be missed by others. I belonged for a few years to Educational Consumers. http://education-consumers.org/

I generally talk in averages knowing that there are always exceptions. Consequently, I many times use a statistical feel for things. I've forgot a lot of statistics, but find it a great way to measure and understand things as well. This is foreign to many. My son-in-law used to talk about going to Lilly and explaining to them what was going on in his research and the group of very smart people had little understanding of what he was saying. Doctors may not have that good of an understanding of statistics. I caught a bit of hell for correcting the Indiana Dept.of Education years ago using their data to show their desire to use reduced lunch children for pouring more money into education. Their data did NOT show that, but after asking me what I did, told me they "thought" it should... even if the data didn't support it. Should I consider not using data, but ideology as a bit of indoctrination there?

I'm actually quite ignorant in a lot of areas, but have chosen areas I think are more important than others to attempt to be informed a bit. I rarely watch TV other than Purdue basketball/football (sometimes other Big games), the news and don't go to the movies. Although I played football in HS, I rarely post much on the football site due to not understanding it remotely close to my understanding of basketball..and so I try to absorb there. People on the forums are generally people smarter than many and I learn things all the time. Still, I've had my share of hardships and tough times and so I share a bond with many in that regard. I'm just a person whose interest is different than many and yet similar in many things. I have more background in some areas and less in others. Mostly, I like to learn and finding time to read is getting really tough. ;)

Sometimes I start a post forgetting that some may not have the same understandings and assume some things are a given when in fact they are totally unaware and then things go south quickly. What I do hope is that I treat people as I would want to be treated whether they agree or disagree with me. That was a quick synopsis. My deceased brother-in-law ran for congress (democrat) in Ohio against Brown in the Springfield region and my father worked the election boards for democrats years ago. Both would not be democrats today. My mother was a republican. I have two sisters that are conservative/libertarians and one sister that is as liberal as possible. Politics has a few different directions in my siblings. ;) I consider people to be good people on both sides of the aisle in many cases, but HOW do we explain why people hold the views they do that are so different? Education adn religion or lack of, sometimes gives insight into how people hold different views. The world is becoming increasingly more technical...how is that data viewed and what background does one have in data analysis as a foundation? Then of course, we have our personal experience seen through our own eyes and interpreted through our experience and backgrounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT