FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Terrell 5.6
Alstott-VandeVanter 5.5
Calloway 5.5
Cox 5.5
Threats 5.6

Kind of early still, and there are some decent prospects, but if you’re looking for a big splash commit to get momentum going in this class, you’re still waiting. It’s trending more like the 2018 class than 2019 or 2020.

For comparison, here were the first five verbals of the last 3 classes.

2020:
Kruel 5.6
Hartwig 5.8
Bycznski 5.6
Kaltenberger 5.5
Murphy 5.7

2019:
Karlaftis 5.9
Triplett 5.4
Rice 5.8
Hewitt 5.5
Grant 5.9

2018:
Alexander 5.5
Plummer 5.6
Smith 5.5
Ball 5.5
Cravaack 5.6

Lots other things are probably affecting recruiting. Heck, a lot of schools may not be around in 2021.

Hartwig was a 3 star when he committed. Was a 3 star until December.

also, the ginger was a 2 star forever.

I checked the team rankings on the Rivals site and Purdue is down in the 40s. Problem is most B1G teams are doing pretty well early. Even iu is in the 30s. And Nebraska and Maryland are doing very well early. Need to land a 4 star or two to get back up where we belong.

I checked the team rankings on the Rivals site and Purdue is down in the 40s. Problem is most B1G teams are doing pretty well early. Even iu is in the 30s. And Nebraska and Maryland are doing very well early. Need to land a 4 star or two to get back up where we belong.

Hartwig was a 3 star when he committed. Was a 3 star until December.

also, the ginger was a 2 star forever.
It would be a better comp to use the RR at the time of commit if I could find the history (maybe that’s a subscription?). I do remember the Hartwig commit being a pretty big one, and he was a composite 88 at the time per 247, higher than any of our 2021’s.

It would be a better comp to use the RR at the time of commit if I could find the history (maybe that’s a subscription?). I do remember the Hartwig commit being a pretty big one, and he was a composite 88 at the time per 247, higher than any of our 2021’s.
5.6 I think

The dude from PA was a 5.4

Trust in Brohm. Seems to be a great closer. He does much better than a lot of coaches when he can get face to face with recruits. Also many of the assistant coaches do a great job selling the program face to face. I think this Social distancing isn’t helping Purdue right now with their bigger recruits. Give it time. They’ll get it done just like the last 2 years. Exciting times are coming for Purdue football !!!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Trust in Brohm. Seems to be a great closer. He does much better than a lot of coaches when he can get face to face with recruits. Also many of the assistant coaches do a great job selling the program face to face. I think this Social distancing isn’t helping Purdue right now with their bigger recruits. Give it time. They’ll get it done just like the last 2 years. Exciting times are coming for Purdue football !!!
That’s a great point about the current restrictions hurting some programs more than others. Hopefully they can get a lot of recruits on campus this summer.

Iowa does very well with mostly 3* guys. Obviously, we need to be in the top 3 in the Big10 west in recruiting. Getting 5 solid guys is great. Probably need to get five 4* guys per class to keep up our trend.

200.gif

Brohm has consistently demonstrated far better recruiting than Hazel. Success in recruiting looks different from year to year.

My version of success in recruiting:
1. top 3 in the Big10 West every year. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, northwestern, Iowa.....
2. Top 40 consistently and hitting top 25- 50% of the time.
3. Get 4 of the top 10 recruits in Indiana every year.

I think these are realistic for Purdue. Not sure if these are too lofty over time or too conservative.

I do think if we accomplished these, we’d have a more relevant program. What do people think?

I think we can all agree that a winning season this year is vital to recruiting going forward. The honeymoon recruiting period is over.

Norm for what? Hazell averaged 2 star classes.
I’m not sure why anyone is complaining about this class so far. Both Cox and Threats were plan A top priority guys the staff put a lot of effort into. As Nat pointed out, for several years prior to Brohm half the recruits were 2 or zero stars.

Brohm has consistently demonstrated far better recruiting than Hazel. Success in recruiting looks different from year to year.

My version of success in recruiting:
1. top 3 in the Big10 West every year. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, northwestern, Iowa.....
2. Top 40 consistently and hitting top 25- 50% of the time.
3. Get 4 of the top 10 recruits in Indiana every year.

I think these are realistic for Purdue. Not sure if these are too lofty over time or too conservative.

I do think if we accomplished these, we’d have a more relevant program. What do people think?
You said it.If Purdue can do that consistently,they should always be good.

These comments reek with not trusting Brohm. The guy came in and took a terrible program to a bowl and has been competitive with most of the better teams.We forget this. Last year he lost the leading QB/Receiver combo in the nation early in the third game. There is no way of judging the season because that happened. If the same happened to any other team in the country they would be hurting badly except for maybe the very top echelon. If that did not happen to us and we went to a bowl this worry about recruiting would not be there to the same degree. Right now the biggest threat to our team is that we may not have a season, which puts us in the same boat with everyone. Its still April and we're moaning about this class. Unreal. Kind of like to see if we even play and then see who we get when this class is completed. The one area I do agree about is that it mystifies me that we don't have more 4 star OL. In every other area we are excelling.

No moaning here. Just an objective analysis of where this class stands today and where it projects based on prior classes. I don’t see why people can’t just discuss things analytically without getting emotional or jumping on a “for” or “against” side. I’ve been a big Brohm fan from day one and I still believe in the job he is doing. At the same time I can talk about my view that this class might be trending a notch below the past two classes, and how at this point in the rebuild winning will speak volumes more to recruits than early playing time or hype.

These comments reek with not trusting Brohm. The guy came in and took a terrible program to a bowl and has been competitive with most of the better teams.We forget this. Last year he lost the leading QB/Receiver combo in the nation early in the third game. There is no way of judging the season because that happened. If the same happened to any other team in the country they would be hurting badly except for maybe the very top echelon. If that did not happen to us and we went to a bowl this worry about recruiting would not be there to the same degree. Right now the biggest threat to our team is that we may not have a season, which puts us in the same boat with everyone. Its still April and we're moaning about this class. Unreal. Kind of like to see if we even play and then see who we get when this class is completed. The one area I do agree about is that it mystifies me that we don't have more 4 star OL. In every other area we are excelling.
Not that it matters to your points being made, but Sindelar and Rondale were lost in Game 4 - Minnesota.

Now eight verbals in the books, no 4 stars (by any publication). Is it still too early to say this class is trending more like 2018 than 2019 or 2020? The recruiting efforts needs football this fall and getting back to a bowl game to turn around these headwinds.

Now eight verbals in the books, no 4 stars (by any publication). Is it still too early to say this class is trending more like 2018 than 2019 or 2020? The recruiting efforts needs football this fall and getting back to a bowl game to turn around these headwinds.
This is a good class so far. we are still only 4 years removed from Hazell. To be recruiting at this level is impressive.

This is a good class so far. we are still only 4 years removed from Hazell. To be recruiting at this level is impressive.
I think my point here is lost on some people. This program is light years beyond Hazell. Recruiting has gone from 0 to 100. Not saying anything bad about Brohm here or comparing him to DH1 or DH2. But the effects of a losing season appear to be creeping in a bit. Really, it would have been shocking if there was no drop-off in recruiting after a 4-8 season. 2018 was still a really good class, just not at the level of 2019 or 2020. I believe the only way to get back to the 2019/2020 level classes at this point is to start winning again ASAP. We'll see where this 2021 class ends up, but even with a Yanni or a McCulley its probably headed for the 40's.

I think my point here is lost on some people. This program is light years beyond Hazell. Recruiting has gone from 0 to 100. Not saying anything bad about Brohm here or comparing him to DH1 or DH2. But the effects of a losing season appear to be creeping in a bit. Really, it would have been shocking if there was no drop-off in recruiting after a 4-8 season. 2018 was still a really good class, just not at the level of 2019 or 2020. I believe the only way to get back to the 2019/2020 level classes at this point is to start winning again ASAP. We'll see where this 2021 class ends up, but even with a Yanni or a McCulley its probably headed for the 40's.
Its early still. We have a good shot at at least 2 and possibly 3 four star recruits. We get two of the three and this conversation changes.

Its early still. We have a good shot at at least 2 and possibly 3 four star recruits. We get two of the three and this conversation changes.
So say Brohm pulls some rabbits out of hats, finds a summer recruiting surge, and turns 2021 into another top 30 class.. do you think that carries over to a strong 2022 recruiting class without good on-field results this fall? At some point the results matter to recruits, the only question is whether we are seeing that now or later.

So say Brohm pulls some rabbits out of hats, finds a summer recruiting surge, and turns 2021 into another top 30 class.. do you think that carries over to a strong 2022 recruiting class without good on-field results this fall? At some point the results matter to recruits, the only question is whether we are seeing that now or later.
I think he needs 7 or so wins this fall to keep it going. That may not be possible.

Reactions: FirstDownB
Valid points. Coach Brohm is a salesman as every other coach is for recruiting. What’s he selling?

1. Early playing time. He can’t do this as much at WR and other skilled positions.
2. On field success. This has been a mixed bag. Obviously, the record last year wasn’t good.
3. Pathways to NFL. Maybe. Thatnhasnt played out for his guys yet.
4. Stats. Yes! He can sell the hell out of that for some positions.

Three star guys are solid Big10 players. Very early for some of the 4* guys yet. I would bet that we get 3-4 four star guys.

Recruiting success at Purdue right now looks like this:
1. Top 40 every year. Top 25 every other year.
2. 4 of the top 10 Indiana players. We are alive for at least 2 of the top 10.
3. Top 3 in the Big10 west.

I am happy with the OL/DL improvement. It looks promising, but need to see it on the field. I’m ecstatic about WR and skilled position recruiting. Not thirlled with DB or LB recruiting.

One extraordinary variable we cannot account for is the martial law. I can't help but think this is hurting the "up-and-coming" programs more so than the established programs. Getting them on campus is HUGE.

I think it prevents them from really selling the program, in the manner they're accustomed.

Like many, I've been using Zoom non-stop over the past 2 months. It's just an "okay" experience for clients, and really sucks when it comes to establishing trust and rapport with new clients.

Sure, every program is dealing with the same environment, but it's a bigger obstacle for some than others.

Yes, everyone currently that has verballed is a 3 star. Big deal. This year is a little different than prior years. Kids have not been able, and probably won't be able, to go to camps where they get a chance to bump up their stars or ratings. It just takes one 4 star and the dominoes start to go that way too. Also, we did not get our first 4 star until July, Greg Hudgins. Now, Hartwig did verbal early, but he was not made a 4 star until the last rankings came out late last year. These are kids that Brohm was targeting early, and had been on them for a while. I think this will be another class like last years and the year before.

We don't want to get Sales? He is a three star too, but I would be happy to get him. I won't put as much stock in the rankings right now as I would have in years past.

At some point winning is what matters.
Year one you get a pass. Year two things need to show improvement, year three is the benchmark good coaches win.
Throwing up stats & losing doesn’t help.
Look at Moore. He was overused & it takes it toll on someone his size. He threw up great numbers in a losing season. Then the next year only plays four games because of injury. So far Purdue is 7-10 in games he played in & 10-15 total since he’s been on the team. There is always the risk he gets hurt again with the way he is used & previous injury.
Having a losing record the three seasons you have Moore is not a great recruiting tool. Purdue needs to win this season if it wants to recruit at a higher level.

I think he needs 7 or so wins this fall to keep it going. That may not be possible.
The biggest obstacle to getting 7 wins is not playing football. If there is football, a healthy "Rondale 2.0" alone gets us from 4 to 6 wins. ANY improvement on the defensive side of the football should secure #7.

This would be a pretty bad year for a season to be cancelled...
-Probably lose Rondale for good, plus a year of Karlaftis and Bell.
-Have to wear 4-8 record around for another year. Lose chance for immediate redemption to show it was just a 'blip'.
-Attendance is in a pretty good place now, so more lost revenue than when we were averaging 30k
-At a time when the AD is trying to secure funds for stadium renovations

At some point winning is what matters.
Year one you get a pass. Year two things need to show improvement, year three is the benchmark good coaches win.
Throwing up stats & losing doesn’t help.
Look at Moore. He was overused & it takes it toll on someone his size. He threw up great numbers in a losing season. Then the next year only plays four games because of injury. So far Purdue is 7-10 in games he played in & 10-15 total since he’s been on the team. There is always the risk he gets hurt again with the way he is used & previous injury.
Having a losing record the three seasons you have Moore is not a great recruiting tool. Purdue needs to win this season if it wants to recruit at a higher level.
Overuse? Someone his size? Dude is built like a tank and works out like a mofo. It was a freak, soft tissue, non contact injury. He didn't get beat up from overuse. Bad take on Moore. Decent take on the need to translate hope into results.

Reactions: indy35
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT