ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue women's basketball First Thoughts (and game thread): Purdue vs. Rutgers

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
Good morning from Mackey Arena, everyone.

Rutgers was kind enough to come all the way out here to bring me bagels and while they're here they're just going to go ahead and play a basketball game vs. Purdue, on its senior night.

Purdue's got to, got to, got to have this one, obviously, to have a shot at the NCAA Tournament, which would require wins in Indy, too, most likely. How many, I don't know, but in this new era of NCAA selection, who the hell knows?

Anyway, a few thoughts on this game ...

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDING
This is just a part of Purdue basketball culture now, I guess, because it was a key — overlooked — part of what made the Boilermakers great last season and it's been critical toward at least giving them a chance now. Trevion Williams and Evan Boudreaux and Nojel Eastern have been forces in this element of the game, and if today devolves into typical Big Ten BattleBots basketball, offensive rebounding can be the difference-maker for Purdue.

RUTGERS GUARDS
Last game, Rutgers' bigger guards really attacked Purdue's smaller guards with post-ups. Those Boilermakers are going to have to be ready to post defend, or Purdue's going to have to throw help their way. Caleb McConnell is a guy you'd probably like to make beat you so that Ron Harper Jr. and Geo Baker aren't. But there was a real matchup advantage there.

From where Purdue has been this season, and for all its ups and downs, all its growing pains, to finish .500 in the best, deepest, league in college basketball against what's considered the toughest schedule in college basketball by at least one measure, that would be a hell of a deal if you ask me, whether Purdue ultimately makes the NCAA Tournament or not.

Thanks for reading everybody.

We'll be back after the game with full coverage, slightly delayed today because of the senior day ceremony. In the meantime, updates on Twitter at @brianneubert. In the meantime, discuss the game here in this thread or however you wish.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News