ADVERTISEMENT

First spring practice is in the books . . . .

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
First spring practice is in the books. Many players were already practicing when I arrived at 3:15 (they didn’t wait for me). They didn’t say goodbye when I left at 6:15, but they seemed to be wrapping things up.

The following players were in street clothes, or on the sidelines, not practicing:

- David Bell – street clothes

- Lorenzo (a friend suggested that you already know what you have with him, why risk injury?)

- Jackson Anthrop (off-season foot injury – played some of last season with a broken toe)

- Jared Sparks – in a walking boot

- Victor Beach – street clothes

- J.D. Dellinger – street clothes

- Probably others that I didn’t recognize

(tease - do you want any more?)

Practice was helmets and shorts, but no pads. I noticed quite a few linemen (OL and DL) wearing the knee braces. We’ve seen that on the OL for several years now, but to see it on DL and LB’s was new to me.

First spring practice is in the books. Many players were already practicing when I arrived at 3:15...
(tease - do you want any more?).

Our basketball team is 14-14 and on the verge of breaking their tournament streak... I think we are all wanting more football notes, yes please.

I watched the G&B Brohm video interview and I’m specifically interested in Diaco. I know he’s a high energy guy, did the players seem into his style? Respond to his coaching?

My other question would seem to be: can you name a couple players that from your observation, took this off-season to really work out /improve their body or skills.

Lastly, name a player we never talk about as someone who you saw today and were excited about.

For the record, Wednesday’s practice I’m expecting a full scouting report, player grades and play by play breakdown of all 22 players each play from you...

Our basketball team is 14-14 and on the verge of breaking their tournament streak... I think we are all wanting more football notes, yes please.

I watched the G&B Brohm video interview and I’m specifically interested in Diaco. I know he’s a high energy guy, did the players seem into his style? Respond to his coaching?

My other question would seem to be: can you name a couple players that from your observation, took this off-season to really work out /improve their body or skills.

Lastly, name a player we never talk about as someone who you saw today and were excited about.

For the record, Wednesday’s practice I’m expecting a full scouting report, player grades and play by play breakdown of all 22 players each play from you...
Yes,we need more details.We make excuses not to attend practices,so you guys that attend them need to work a lot harder...Get on the stick!

Reactions: Dandelion1972
First spring practice is in the books. Many players were already practicing when I arrived at 3:15 (they didn’t wait for me). They didn’t say goodbye when I left at 6:15, but they seemed to be wrapping things up.

The following players were in street clothes, or on the sidelines, not practicing:

- Lorenzo (a friend suggested that you already know what you have with him, why risk injury?)

- Jackson Anthrop (off-season foot injury – played some of last season with a broken toe)

Practice was helmets and shorts, but no pads. I noticed quite a few linemen (OL and DL) wearing the knee braces. We’ve seen that on the OL for several years now, but to see it on DL and LB’s was new to me.

Next to the other receivers, Maliq looks huge! Looks to be running with the 3’s, and he had several drops. In general, with Maliq, Milton, Mershawn and Kory, we’re getting some height at WR. All the receivers hung on to the ball pretty well, all except the TE’s. The TE’s had a stretch where no one could make a catch, mostly because they couldn’t get separation. Rondale went through the drills, but was noticeably absent when there were teams lined up against each other. Milton looks fast as does Mershawn. Rondale is Rondale!

There was one passing drill where a coach was rifling a pass at a closed door. The door was opened in time to allow the ball to pass, and the receiver was 6-8 yards on the other side of the door. They caught the ball about 25 times out of 26, I only remember one drop. I didn’t want to be the ball-boy opening the door, because as he opened the door, he had to duck and . . .

Offensive line running with the 1’s were Bramel, Jornigan, Garvin, Stickford and Hermanns. Hermanns is huge and still has the long hair, which I think he’s committed to cut off during a fund raiser honoring Tyler Trent. Hartwig was running with the 1’s a couple times and he doesn’t look out of place as far as size!

Running the ball in no particular order were Zander, Hewitt, King and Armor. If I were to guess, I think King will get the majority of work in the spring.

QB’s you ask? Well it looks like Jack and Aiden will be competing for the top spot, with Paul (who, to me, REALLY looks the part) coming in third. Albers looks really inexperienced compared to the other 3.

Defensive 1’s seemed to be this:

George Watts Deen Mitchell (can that be correct?)

Alexander Barnes Graham

Mackey Major

Thieneman Allen

Defensive 2’s

Lane Johnson Faucheux Triplett

Saunders Wahlberg Randall

Rucker Trice

Ball Smiley (hasn’t he been here forever?)

Alexander had 3 int’s, a couple were tipped by the receiver and he got the deflection (kinda lucky). On one of his int’s the QB, Albers, shouldn’t have thrown it, or it was horribly underthrown. Sanoussi Kane had a great pass break-up in one of the 11 on 11 drills.

We want Yanni!

Diaco will need to spread out his enthusiasm because this is only February. To say he is energetic is quite the understatement. And he gets in the players’ faces when they make a mistake. (He’ll be like Jim Colletto, hoarse by the end of each practice!)

Mary Biagi seems to be a good hire, also. They were working on some special teams techniques that I’ve never seen before. JaMarcus has lost a step or two since last season, or his players are faster. He really needs another year of two of eligibility, because he wants to be in there mixing it up with the receivers. I can see why a receiver would want to come to Purdue if he was their position coach.

Finally, there were 8 guys along the sidelines that were waiting for the end of practice. They went to the far northwest corner of the field and worked out for the last 15 minutes or so of practice. I think they were being considered for walk-ons. There weren’t any BIG guys, but some who were probably pretty good HS players. I met a couple of them, one a RB and the other a WR. Oh yeah, one was a friend from FCA, who I’ve gotten to know a little bit, but had no idea that he even was a FB player.

I was told that we’ll only be allowed in to the first 3 practices, so this reporting may be short and you may have to go over to GBI and get the professional run down on each practice by subscribing (hint – hint).

Next to the other receivers, Maliq looks huge! Looks to be running with the 3’s, and he had several drops. In general, with Maliq, Milton, Mershawn and Kory, we’re getting some height at WR. All the receivers hung on to the ball pretty well, all except the TE’s. The TE’s had a stretch where no one could make a catch, mostly because they couldn’t get separation. Rondale went through the drills, but was noticeably absent when there were teams lined up against each other. Milton looks fast as does Mershawn. Rondale is Rondale!

There was one passing drill where a coach was rifling a pass at a closed door. The door was opened in time to allow the ball to pass, and the receiver was 6-8 yards on the other side of the door. They caught the ball about 25 times out of 26, I only remember one drop. I didn’t want to be the ball-boy opening the door, because as he opened the door, he had to duck and . . .

Offensive line running with the 1’s were Bramel, Jornigan, Garvin, Stickford and Hermanns. Hermanns is huge and still has the long hair, which I think he’s committed to cut off during a fund raiser honoring Tyler Trent. Hartwig was running with the 1’s a couple times and he doesn’t look out of place as far as size!

Running the ball in no particular order were Zander, Hewitt, King and Armor. If I were to guess, I think King will get the majority of work in the spring.

QB’s you ask? Well it looks like Jack and Aiden will be competing for the top spot, with Paul (who, to me, REALLY looks the part) coming in third. Albers looks really inexperienced compared to the other 3.

Defensive 1’s seemed to be this:

George Watts Deen Mitchell (can that be correct?)

Alexander Barnes Graham

Mackey Major

Thieneman Allen

Defensive 2’s

Lane Johnson Faucheux Triplett

Saunders Wahlberg Randall

Rucker Trice

Ball Smiley (hasn’t he been here forever?)

Alexander had 3 int’s, a couple were tipped by the receiver and he got the deflection (kinda lucky). On one of his int’s the QB, Albers, shouldn’t have thrown it, or it was horribly underthrown. Sanoussi Kane had a great pass break-up in one of the 11 on 11 drills.

We want Yanni!

Diaco will need to spread out his enthusiasm because this is only February. To say he is energetic is quite the understatement. And he gets in the players’ faces when they make a mistake. (He’ll be like Jim Colletto, hoarse by the end of each practice!)

Mary Biagi seems to be a good hire, also. They were working on some special teams techniques that I’ve never seen before. JaMarcus has lost a step or two since last season, or his players are faster. He really needs another year of two of eligibility, because he wants to be in there mixing it up with the receivers. I can see why a receiver would want to come to Purdue if he was their position coach.

Finally, there were 8 guys along the sidelines that were waiting for the end of practice. They went to the far northwest corner of the field and worked out for the last 15 minutes or so of practice. I think they were being considered for walk-ons. There weren’t any BIG guys, but some who were probably pretty good HS players. I met a couple of them, one a RB and the other a WR. Oh yeah, one was a friend from FCA, who I’ve gotten to know a little bit, but had no idea that he even was a FB player.

I was told that we’ll only be allowed in to the first 3 practices, so this reporting may be short and you may have to go over to GBI and get the professional run down on each practice by subscribing (hint – hint).
Good report. However, The TEs had 5 TDS in 7 on 7 and 11/11 . Trice was running with the 1s quite a bit. Ball was running with the 3s quite a bit. Maliq had more drops than catches. Practices are closed to GBI as well except the first 3. Anthrops was a bone in his lower leg , not a toe.

Last edited:

When they say practices are closed, doesn’t that mean G&B (Tom/Brian) won’t be on the practices either? That’s my understanding. As always, thanks for your input. After Friday of this week, I guess we will all have to wait until April 4 spring game.

My favorite nugget of info was your note about Paul Piferi.

The more I think about it, the more I’m worried about the secondary than the linebackers. 3-4 probably brings more zone into the equation, which suits Mackey, Major and Graham better than Trice, but they need lots of work. Howard will help. A safety group with Thieneman and Smiley in the 1s/2s scares me more than clowns.

Last thoughts for the group... in Brohms G&B video interview it sounded as if they were going to focus on the 3-4 (while using the word “multiple” more times than I can comprehend).

With the discussion of 1 LBs being Mitchell, Alexander, Barnes, Graham(? Brohm said they were working him at nickel/safety)... I’m excited to see Samesi, Saunders, Wahlberg, Elijah Ball or Chase Triplett and what they are capable of. Kruel and Jenkins I would guess will be redshirted.

Based off last years tape, I liked Saunders closing speed and aggression. Hope he bulks up, Wahlberg works into the 2s and the other guys bring their lunch pail to work everyday. Last spring Elijah Ball seemed to have promise, only to disappear all season. Based off Tripletts genealogy and ethic, he might be a contributor too.

LOL!!! Good call......think we're all ready for football after the BB team has fallen apart........Just sweep little brother to the south this Thur....

Last edited:
I was hoping Barnes might be moved back to linebacker. And it looks like he'll get a lot of playing time there. Good news. And I like hearing the transfer LB Mitchell is not undersized, by a long shot. Sounds like things might be coming together.

One major thing that worries me is Bell being out until summer. Brohm didn't sound too confident in his recovery.

I was hoping Barnes might be moved back to linebacker. And it looks like he'll get a lot of playing time there. Good news. And I like hearing the transfer LB Mitchell is not undersized, by a long shot. Sounds like things might be coming together.

One major thing that worries me is Bell being out until summer. Brohm didn't sound too confident in his recovery.
Bell was out the first week of fall camp last year, but bounced back quite nicely! I think he'll be fine, but if not we have plenty of options at WR!

Reactions: purduepat1969
Good report. However, The TEs had 5 TDS in 7 on 7 and 11/11 . Trice was running with the 1s quite a bit. Ball was running with the 3s quite a bit. Maliq had more drops than catches. Practices are closed to GBI as well except the first 3. Anthrops was a bone in his lower leg , not a toe.

Thanks for the corrections.

His HS coach told me his little toe, and that he had it for the last half of the season. I did hear what coach said about Jackson, and we'll go with him. One way or the other, he's a gamer!

"The TEs had 5 TDS in 7 on 7 and 11/11" - I must've been doing something else at that time, cause there was a stretch where the TE's couldn't catch anything. It was about 5 drops in a row.

I didn't want to say that about Maliq, cause it was his first practice and all, but he did have a few drops.

His HS coach told me his little toe, and that he had it for the last half of the season. I did hear what coach said about Jackson, and we'll go with him. One way or the other, he's a gamer!

"The TEs had 5 TDS in 7 on 7 and 11/11" - I must've been doing something else at that time, cause there was a stretch where the TE's couldn't catch anything. It was about 5 drops in a row.

I didn't want to say that about Maliq, cause it was his first practice and all, but he did have a few drops.
Wasnt trying to correct you as your reporting was awesome! ( as always). Just picked up on a few additional things. Won’t be able to see them again until the spring game! BoilerUp!!

Much appreciate your reporting!

Wasnt trying to correct you as your reporting was awesome! ( as always). Just picked up on a few additional things. Won’t be able to see them again until the spring game! BoilerUp!!

No problem, just a football fanatic (my son doesn't understand that with our success at BB and failure at FB). I guess when you're 18 years old and walk into a stadium with 66,000 people, it kinda overwhelms you. We were also ranked #1 for a little while in my freshman year.

No problem, just a football fanatic (my son doesn't understand that with our success at BB and failure at FB). I guess when you're 18 years old and walk into a stadium with 66,000 people, it kinda overwhelms you. We were also ranked #1 for a little while in my freshman year.

I was unfortunately present at school for the Fred Akers / Jim Colleto years. Tickets were obviously free for students at that time!!

Sounds like you were a freshman when I was a senior in 1965.

Thanks for the information on practices. Always an enjoyment to read, and the more people attending and describing their experience and what they see and feel, the better. Of course, you can't be watching everything. Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's version.

Now on April 4th if the stadium is not full, should we wear nametags? Like @Dandelion1972 or @KentuckyBoiler. I will wear one since I’d really like to meet some of you guys. (and gals)
I might create a t shirt for the Spring game.

I would like to meet some of the call names on here. My wife and I are planning on going to the Spring game this year, like we did last year, if everything goes to plan.

I was unfortunately present at school for the Fred Akers / Jim Colleto years. Tickets were obviously free for students at that time!!

Yeah, I had parked my car in WL one day. The mistake I made was leaving 2 tickets on the dashboard in clear view.

Someone came along, smashed the windshield and put 2 more tickets there.

Sounds like you were a freshman when I was a senior in 1965.

Thanks for the information on practices. Always an enjoyment to read, and the more people attending and describing their experience and what they see and feel, the better. Of course, you can't be watching everything. Eagerly awaiting tomorrow's version.

Yeah, freshman in chemistry.

It's a challenge sometimes, with over 200 people on the field.

Let me know who you want me to give a special look at, and I'll make some notes for myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT