ADVERTISEMENT

First loss?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Doubt we run the table, so when do you see our first loss?

I think we get by Rutgers narrowly as they are coached very well & will make a game of it, but lose 2 in a row narrowly to OSU & PSU rolls us, and this site goes nuts with ridiculous doom & gloom. The road is a tough deal & PSU I think will play over their head against us & @ OSU is just a tough hurdle.

Hope though ...CMP used to be Mr.January. If he can bring back his January magic, it would be cool to go undefeated into February. Possible??

Your thoughts?

I think we take down Rutgers and surprise OSU on the road because our defense. We get a hot hand against PSU and can’t match their shots and drop a tough one. That is back to back road games.

Reactions: bobpoglits
I hope it is not the OSU game. I bought my tickets a few weeks ago and will be road tripping. If we lose, you guys can blame me! I am going with PSU as the first loss.
I certainly hope it's not the psu game. I live in Pa. and don't want to see that on every newscast I watch. It's bad enough during football season

You got to know PSU will be juiced to beat us with their ex Purdue coach. When they are hitting 3s, they are a tough out. Dangerous game.
yea I know about them and their 2 23 yr old guards and Bucknell transfer. Maybe if we start hitting some 3's wouldn't have to worry about psu. The Palestra is a cool venue though, saw alot of great games on TV w/ the BIG 5 back in the day.

I think we get by Rutgers narrowly as they are coached very well & will make a game of it, but lose 2 in a row narrowly to OSU & PSU rolls us, and this site goes nuts with ridiculous doom & gloom. The road is a tough deal & PSU I think will play over their head against us & @ OSU is just a tough hurdle.

Hope though ...CMP used to be Mr.January. If he can bring back his January magic, it would be cool to go undefeated into February. Possible??

Your thoughts?
@OSU

Reactions: Boiler Buck
We're getting everyone's BEST shot right now. I would be stunned if we win at OSU. This is the BigTen, every road game is hard to win. If not OSU then probably Penn State. I love this team and all, but it'll happen a few games into the BigTen schedule...

One of the Michigans on the road will get us for the first loss. Purdue will beat them in Mackey.

I want to beat Michigan really badly. Last year they ran us out of the gym up north. They were a holes about it too. I’d love to beat them down this year. Diabate have us fits last year with his length. Seems like they were shooting out of their minds too. That will be a tough match up.

I hate Michigan more than any other B1G team right now. They are loafing in the non-con again and not helping the conference out blowing multiple chances at quality wins. Really want to sweep those clowns.

I think @ OSU will be really tough if Purdue is still #1. They have loads of talent and will surely give Purdue their best effort of the year.

I really hope Purdue avoids the non-student B1G opener let down against Buttgers too. Wisconsin got us last year and Minny did a few years back too. Mackey can be sterile if the team comes out flat.

I really hope Purdue avoids the non-student B1G opener let down against Buttgers too. Wisconsin got us last year and Minny did a few years back too. Mackey can be sterile if the team comes out flat.

With starting Morton & Gillis we have a higher probability of coming out flat scoring wise, as those two are low production guys. However, that lineup makes less mistakes (usually) and is pretty good defensively.

Was not aware students would not be there that night. That does take some of the electricity & juice out of Mackey home court. We will see how much of a problem that is?

neva-never.gif

• Haha
teams have been so up and down this year it’s hard to know. I have to assume we’ll see the ups more often than not with teams wanting to take down number 1. I’m hoping the team gets through Penn State unscathed. they would have set a new most wins without a loss record and might be the only unbeaten left. That kind of publicity is priceless.

First loss and maybe only loss is at Michigan. Dickinson is really the only dude that can get close to matching up size wise with Edey. It'll be the one game outside of playing IU they get super hot and hit shots and Dickson will act like a super dbag after every layup he hits.

I think @ OSU will be really tough if Purdue is still #1. They have loads of talent and will surely give Purdue their best effort of the year.

also have to figure in how long will Zach miss from a conditioning stand point. Last night I watched the Creighton game and they said Kalkbrenner missed 3 games and he was a bit hamperred yet last night.

You got to know PSU will be juiced to beat us with their ex Purdue coach. When they are hitting 3s, they are a tough out. Dangerous game.
I have not caught a game against PSU and yes Shrew knows Matt's preferences, but this isn't last years team that either shot the three or posted...except for Jaden driving and everyone knew he was going to the rim when he started. I see this team a bit smarter, more depth and more versatile than last year. I don't see opposing fans making Braden and even Fletcher uncomfortable or see them distracted arguing with fans although you always worry about that first time for a freshman not aruging but feeling some pressure.

Purdue just needs to defend, not turn it over and "dominate" the boards and I think Purdue will have enough assuming no surprises from the refs or Purdue basically falls apart. Purdue is capable of winning this without Zach, but Purdue must be focused, know the scouting report, be under control, but aggressive on O and D which will probably be the story all year. I'm more worried about Braden getting in foul trouble than anything since I'm not sure there is another with a similar skill set.

PSU should be rocking and loose, but I would rather have Purdue than PSU most nights. I think Rutgers will be a good gage on the mental outlook even if home. They should require Purdue to be good on O and it will be interesting to see how the boards are. Still it is all guesswork. Once that ball goes up the adjustments start, whether rehearsing them again as a reminder or tweaking them as desired. No matter the results I'll probably not be as disappointed in play... win or lose as I "sometimes" got last year knowing how talented even if less versatile they were

Could you imagine the agony of IU fans if Purdue breaks through with the first undefeated National Champion since 1976...
Meh. Is what it is. Gonzaga almost did it two years ago. Kentucky should have in 2015. Gotta happen eventually I'd think.

Could you imagine the agony of IU fans if Purdue breaks through with the first undefeated National Champion since 1976...
It is a heck of a lot harder to do now. There is a bit more influence by the computer. The possessions are closer from game to game to make the computer numbers more accurate and therefore "less" (still have it) influence by people determining the brackets of who they put against each other and in the bracket and region.

There is still personal bias (doesn't the NCAA like that money?), but now a computer serves as a counter balance and the "fans" are aware of the numbers prior to the bracket determinations. In 76 if I recall, Purdue was in the driver's seat in the final minute with the ball (15' in front of me) when Quinn broke Parkinsons hand stealing the ball. No he really didn't "break" his hand, but he did get the ball on a steal. Course the year before Steve Green went berserk on the baseline opposite of "todays" visitor bench...maybe 10/12 or something close 12/14????? I think that was at Purdue but not sure where I was sitting if at Purdue?

Last edited:
It is a heck of a lot harder to do now. There is a bit more influence by the computer. The possessions are closer from game to game to make the computer numbers more accurate and therefore "less" (still have it) influence by people determining the brackets of who they put against each other and in the bracket and region.

There is still personal bias (doesn't the NCAA like that money?), but now a computer serves as a counter balance and the "fans" are aware of the numbers prior to the bracket determinations. In 76 if I recall, Purdue was in the driver's seat in the final minute with the ball (15' in front of me) when Quinn broke Parkinsons hand stealing the ball. No he really didn't "break" his hand, but he did get the ball on a steal. Course the year before Steve Green went berserk on the baseline opposite of "todays" visitor bench...maybe 10/12 or something close 12/14????? I think that was at Purdue but not sure where I was sitting if at Purdue?
Much more difficult now. There are more than 3 or 4 good teams now.

While the schedule is not yet out, I am going with game #19 in the ‘25-‘26 season as the first loss after most of our current roster has graduated or gone pro. 😉

Of course, after experiencing that level of consistent success, the Boilers would likely be reeling in Top 5 recruiting classes every year, so the first loss may not occur until after Matt Painter retires.

🚂 —>🚄 It will be a transformation from a steam locomotive to a bullet train!

Boiler Up and Merry Christmas to all!

Your thoughts?
It is entirely up to Purdue. That second ten minutes against NO was good because Purdue moved the ball with no hesitation. Maybe the caliber of NO allowed that but it was key to that run. That is the way they can keep winning.

We’ll lose in the big 10 championship tournament to the lowest seed and we’ll lose the next game after making the sweet 16. Out lot is cast in stone

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
With starting Morton & Gillis we have a higher probability of coming out flat scoring wise, as those two are low production guys. However, that lineup makes less mistakes (usually) and is pretty good defensively.

Was not aware students would not be there that night. That does take some of the electricity & juice out of Mackey home court. We will see how much of a problem that is?
I wouldn’t call Gillis low offensive production although he is certainly low volume.

I wouldn’t call Gillis low offensive production although he is certainly low volume.

Well right now there are 3 bench guys that out score him so far with less minutes. Gillis & Morton are 7th & 8th on the team in pts even though they get starters minutes.

I agree the potential for pts with Gillis is there, & I think he will raise his production as the B10 gets going. Right now he is @ ~5.7 ppg & I see him as a 8-10 ppg guy once he gets going after injury and gets in his groove.

ADVERTISEMENT