ADVERTISEMENT

First half--outplayed, outcoached

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
Cowgirls in triangle and 2 D forcing Purdue to shoot outside and not hitting so behind. Martin girl for Okst on fire. We can win this but have to adjust. D has not been spectacular and they are killing us on O board.

Re: First half--outplayed, outcoached no will to fight...

puzzlling how this team sometimes seems to come out sleepwalking and just can't get it going.

what's purdue's record when playing the early rounds at home?
doesn't seem like it helps as much as i'd like it too!

Just like south carolina two years ago. They are really whipping us. Our offense has no clue and we are missing FTS too. Cowgirls changing defense really confused us. Pulled it down to 6 when their star pg rolled her ankle but then Okla st just blew by us. Too bad to end season with such a poor performance and Moses has not played well at all, but will really miss her great attitude. So not a terrible season as it would have ended Sat vs. ND. Just would have been nice to win again at Mackey. No dice.

Big Yen used to be physical league. We can beat often when we play a team the is bigger, stronger and in this case, quicker, that we are. They had three very quick point guard types.

Yes the thoroughness of this loss surprised me. I thought this team was playing tougher. From pretty much the beginning that was apparently not true. On our home court, the Cowgirls outhustled and out fought us and so we lost. We could not solve their switching defenses at all and therefore had little chance.Game was worse than final score. Spilled milk but KK could have made a difference in this one. However, when Okla St. lost their leader they responded and could have easily crumbled. Instead a freshman back up point guard rose up and really took it to us. Disappointing, but overall this season we played very well at times, very poorly at others. We are a top half BT team and, with the recruiting we have, should stay there, but will not, it appears, win it all very many times with Maryland and Rutgers coming in. It is what it is. Still better than having a losing program.

Next year is reverse of this year. This year we had experienced guards and a raw frontline, including the loss of Taylor which took some time to adjust to, and we lost KK at a critical time. Next year our front line is veteran--Thornton showing some real promise also. Bays can be all Big Ten--if she stays healthy and no guarantee of that as we have seen too often. Guards Wilson and Perry will be solid but the depth behind them is suspect. Newcomers will help as they seem good and if one of the frosh really contributes that could help. Again, I project top 5 finish and NCAA but who knows.

Just like CCM at UT, we have our fickle, sky is falling, fans, don't we. The ball wasn't going in the basket, pure and simple. Had the ball been going in, everything would have looked better. These ladies tried their best, but IMHO the way OSU was bumping and hacking them with the rim seemingly having a lid on it, they got a bit frustrated.

I think we should be at least as good next year as this year. Bays is a difference maker. Clemons has really come on very well now that the injuries seem to be behind her. Redmon should be a major force next year, and Torrie Thornton will be a year better, too. April Wilson will be an excellent point guard next year--Perry and Hamby will also be starters (and both should be very good with another year of maturity, weight room, etc.), and we have *really* good freshmen coming in. In fact, our next two recruiting classes are better than any we have had, I believe, so they may well surprise a lot of people.

I do thnk that some re-alignment of our personnel in that OkSt game might have helped, like--why wasn't CMo shifted to the point when the "usual" wasn't working? But I'm not a coach. And I have to admit to being a poor sport and a bad fan. I wasn't there, but watching on TV, and when we played so poorly, I saw the writing on the wall and turned it off, went to bed, and had bad dreams of this morning's sports headlines. I didn't even try to kid myself that "they'll come out on fire in the second half." I knew better. :(

This season was what it was. We wanted more--and yet--there are a lot of schools who would have been thrilled at what we had. The glory days spoiled us and we want them back. WAAAH. Maybe next year. (sniff)

Perry is NOT a guard. She is so one handed I would tie her left arm to her body and have her practice using only her offhand until September.

Perry is listed as a guard in the media program and was used that way mostly. She potentially can shoot 3's quite well and probably will get better at it. She is big and versatile enough to play the 3 and the 4 too. She will be an outstanding player for Purdue before she is done. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT