ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Matt Painter Petition...

Just took a look and Kentucky Carl from this board just signed it, so Paint's @ss is grass.

Honestly, it's pretty sad that this is happening IMO. Way too many people need to get a life and put their hope in something other than college basketball. Painter is a great coach and you need to be careful what you wish for....

First of all, I went to Purdue when Painter played. I like him as a person and I think he a good regular season coach, but not many people outside of the Midwest care much about BIG titles and certainly not the national media calling Purdue the "Choke Artist Program of the Decade" etc...
College basketball is all about March and us losing to North Texas (#13), St. Peters (#15), Fairleigh Dickinson (#16) along with Little Rock etc. are not acceptable for program like Purdue.

The head coach is the CEO of their program, so when you have failed on the biggest stage you should be accountable for his failure.
I think Painter has become too comfortable, too stubborn and too rigid for the good of Purdue.
So with this petition, this is your chance to voice your displeasure with Matt Painter.
This might not get him fired but it should be put him on notice to at the very least to make major changes if he wants keep his job.

So just so we are all in the know, you are wanting to fire a coach, who in the last 7(SEVEN) years has:
been to 3 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8(one late shot clock starting from Final 4) in NCAAT
made the tourney every year they had it
Won 3 Big Ten Championships with a couple of 2nds and a 3rd
Won 1 BTT
But last 3 losses in NCAAT were to high seeds,though in 2022 was in the Sweet 16
I think he is underpaid
Do you think Rutgers, Michigan, IU, OSU, Illini, Wiscy coaches resumes better than above for last 7 years. Probably only a few coaches in nation with better last 7 years.
Maybe we can agree Big 10 needs all new coaches, that is harder to argue against, than the argument to Fire Painter.
I know we are all butthurt over the losses, but come on, don't believe you would like your bosses holding you to these standards.

So just so we are all in the know, you are wanting to fire a coach, who in the last 7(SEVEN) years has:
been to 3 Sweet 16's and 1 Elite 8(one late shot clock starting from Final 4) in NCAAT
made the tourney every year they had it
Won 3 Big Ten Championships with a couple of 2nds and a 3rd
Won 1 BTT
But last 3 losses in NCAAT were to high seeds,though in 2022 was in the Sweet 16
I think he is underpaid
Do you think Rutgers, Michigan, IU, OSU, Illini, Wiscy coaches resumes better than above for last 7 years. Probably only a few coaches in nation with better last 7 years.
Maybe we can agree Big 10 needs all new coaches, that is harder to argue against, than the argument to Fire Painter.
I know we are all butthurt over the losses, but come on, don't believe you would like your bosses holding you to these standards.
My favorite are the folks who know we absolutely, positively have to fire Painter RIGHT NOW… but have no earthly idea what to do after that…

Just took a look and Kentucky Carl from this board just signed it, so Paint's @ss is grass.

Honestly, it's pretty sad that this is happening IMO. Way too many people need to get a life and put their hope in something other than college basketball. Painter is a great coach and you need to be careful what you wish for....
It is sad Purdue has so many ill informed fans, I thought we had a smarter fanbase-maybe not.

Not putting certain players in the dog house and playing scared. (Newman immediately comes to mine but everyone on the team looked afraid to take a shot when it came crunch time)
True, True, Absolutely True - to many times this year players hesitated to shoot wide open threes. It was as if they had no confidence. It started with Newman last year.

Reactions: clankhan
True, True, Absolutely True - to many times this year players hesitated to shoot wide open threes. It was as if they had no confidence. It started with Newman last year.
Newman was never benched for missing open 3's, it was for a forced unopen shot or a turnover usually.

It is sad Purdue has so many ill informed fans, I thought we had a smarter fanbase-maybe not.
A significant portion of the Purdue fanbase are engineers of some sort. In my experience, most engineers are really smart in their focus area, but many times lack common sense. I have set at Purdue games before and can almost always pick out the engineers from listening to them and always ask to verify, only been wrong a few times.

I have no idea about the wound tight you are talking about. I've never made any assertion that the players or CMP is tight in the tourney. Seems weak if true.

My assertion and one, I think many others share, is the B1G does not prepare you well for March. Likewise, success in the B1G does not correlate to success in March. Yes, we won the BTT the weekend prior by Beating the following teams:

Rutgers - Didn't make the Dance
OSU - Didn't make the dance
PSU - a 10 seed in the dance.

Not exactly a murders row. Also those teams, like the rest of the B1G are very predictable. CMP has found a formula that works in the conference but doesn't translate to success in March. Dump it in to the post, and when your center can't score or get the ball you pass it around until the shot clock is almost up and then shoot a 3. The reason that works in the B1G is because that is how they play. Slow, plodding, hold and grab on defense. Don't press, don't fast break just slow it down and grind it out. Our center is better than anyone else's at doing just that so we win a lot of conference games.

Forget about us for a second and just look at IU last night. They were whipped by a team who's center is not the focus but they couldn't contain their guards. Miami was so much quicker it wasn't even close.

Top 2 teams in the B1G were beaten by teams that have more athleticism especially at the guard position. Not surprising and also not new. We know what the problem is, are we willing to change to fix it? Or just keep doing what we do? And I mean that from a conference perspective, not just PU.

Unless MSU pulls a miracle (very doubtful) this will be year 23 since a B1G has won it all. Very likely we won't even get a team to the FF. No other P5 conference has such futility.

Last thing I will say on this in this thread: You watch a lot of B1G basketball. Can you honestly say you don't see a difference between what you watch in January and February and what you are seeing now? It's a different game being played on the same court.
OSU won 6 out of the last 7. Had they been playing all year like they were before Purdue beat them in the tourney, they record would have been much better and probably in the tourney. We know Rutgers is a horrible match-up, but Purdue won, and PSU was playing very well as well when Purdue beat them and so those BTT teams were much better when Purdue beat them than earlier in the season. Considering Miami, the Wong kid was great, but I must admit my eyes went to the 6’7” guy defending TJD. His effort on the offensive boards was GREAT! Don’t know how many he got, but he worked his butt off to get inside offensive position right in front of TJD that TJD would have got any other time. I was impressed with that kid…don’t know his name, but one of the best offensive rebounders I’ve seen for some time…at least in that game since Ian Stanback.

Purdue lost primarily because they missed open shots and the other team hit some contested shots. Had Purdue hit open shots, would the discussion be different? IU lost to Miami primarily due to Wong. IU was at the Wong place at the Wong time. Wong is a bit more than an athletic guard. Kid is very talented! Were there no athletic guards that Purdue faced in the season that day in and day out as good as the FDU’s guards? Purdue is getting more athletes, overall than it has for several years. Were the guards that were athletes older and more mature? What is the balance between athletic ability and skill and when does one have more value than the other or are they always the same. FWIW, I’ve said many times my preference in the 4 and 5 positions different than the last several 5s. Still, these other teams didn’t have the weeks of publicity that Purdue got when everybody thought Purdue was head and shoulders above the rest. Did all the pundits then not know Purdue didn’t have athletic enough guards for all the praise sent Purdue’s way or did they see Purdue doing well against a variety of teams that they thought were good measuring sticks.

Part of the difference outside of Matt (since we are off on to other things) is that there are a lot of refs that have an athletic whistle, reward quickness, and ignore size, but as I type that Jaden was athletic and quick and his last game was not a good one. The more athletic and skilled the players are… the better and the older they are another plus. Many mid major teams are not in the tourney every year, but get there when they have a lot of good seniors and end up a lower seed due to teams it played and then play against a younger team many times. There are a lot of good guards across the USA and when they develop at the smaller schools and become seniors, they can quite often be better than a youngster that maybe had more offers.

NewPal used “wound tight” and I agreed with him is how that came up except we may have different causes? Now of course more athletic AND skill guards would be great, but how about the 4 position that was highly recruited? I think the 1& 2 had a better year that the 3&4s. What if you had the same 1 &2 and had a more athletic and skilled 3 and 4? Would the 3 help break a press AND score? Could we expect a 3 and 4 to face a basket and drive a bit and score. I can make just as important need for the 3 and 4 positions. Purdue never got much out of those spots every game for what Purdue needed? When Zach is gone I believe Purdue gets up and down the court more. I wished before the season that Purdue would actually play different with Caleb and Trey than just subbing Trey in for Zach. Anyway, Matt has elevated the program to the point that national media now figures Purdue will be good and it should help recruiting being in that position. Every recruit is different and all are good enough to believe that they can make a difference. I think being number 1 for several weeks rather than a bad game in the tourney carries more weight, but who knows????

Purdue was different in January than Feb and there are a lot of reasons for that due to scouting of team and players and seeing what looks to be working as well as a possible freshmen wall commonly referenced.

A significant portion of the Purdue fanbase are engineers of some sort. In my experience, most engineers are really smart in their focus area, but many times lack common sense. I have set at Purdue games before and can almost always pick out the engineers from listening to them and always ask to verify, only been wrong a few times.
I think there is a lot of truth to that, but go to any game and just listen to fans everywhere. Even refs and their family many times sit away from the crowds.

Going into the FDU game, our poor outside shooting was not a secret. To think it was going to magically get better after about 15-20 poor games would be idiotic by a Head Coach.

We lost by 5 points. We needed to make that up on the defensive end, because it was not coming from the offensive end. Mixing in a zone where Zach could protect the rim and not get exposed to switches resulting in many easy points, could have easily made the difference in that game. That is where his stubbornness comes into play with the FDU game, IMO. It’s like what Forrest Gump Mama says…

Last edited:
Reactions: Grob13 and Gesysp
The Big Ten needs more diversity of styles, but I don’t think that Purdue should be the one to adjust as the defending champ. OSU, Michigan, Maryland, and IU all can pull in the athletes and they need to continue to. Penn State is a small ball team now. I think that UCLA and USC will bring in an uptempo west coast style.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
The Big Ten needs to employ and direct its officials to allow for the freedom of movement, like the NCAA said they were going to do. If freedom of movement would have been employed in the FDU game, Purdue wins by 20 points plus and Edey scores 45-50 himself.

First of all, I went to Purdue when Painter played. I like him as a person and I think he a good regular season coach, but not many people outside of the Midwest care much about BIG titles and certainly not the national media calling Purdue the "Choke Artist Program of the Decade" etc...
College basketball is all about March and us losing to North Texas (#13), St. Peters (#15), Fairleigh Dickinson (#16) along with Little Rock etc. are not acceptable for program like Purdue.

The head coach is the CEO of their program, so when you have failed on the biggest stage you should be accountable for his failure.
I think Painter has become too comfortable, too stubborn and too rigid for the good of Purdue.
So with this petition, this is your chance to voice your displeasure with Matt Painter.
This might not get him fired but it should be put him on notice to at the very least to make major changes if he wants keep his job.

You, sir, are a dumbass. Hard period. I would go on a mini rant on how you don't speak for others, but I don't think you'll get that message.

There are lots of them coming out of the woodwork, exposing their college hoops ignorance for all to see.
No kidding. I have seen posters on here I've never seen before, displaying a sad lack of knowledge. Clankhan is a great example. Seems to have been a long-term member since 2016, but never posted until we lost. Since then it's been nothing but vitriol in every post. Real dumb stuff mostly. He must have bet more than he could lose on this kid's game. Then wants to spout over here. Frankly I'd rather read the stuff from bonefish than Clank's crap. At least Lenny has been with us through feast & famine, and most importantly posts with respect for other members.

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
I have a question regarding the "too stubborn" charge. What exactly are people referring to? People used to say it about Painter playing his upper classmen over freshmen. Or that he won't play zone defense.

The more I read about the "stubborn" charge, the more I think that he just isn't doing what the TRUE experts in the fanbase want him to do.
My 2 cents on what he should be doing.

He continues to focus on a style of play that isn’t successful in the tourney. It helps win conference titles but not NCAA titles.

Portal - 0. I repeat 0 kids in the portal have said Painter has contacted them. Times are changing. Either you change or get left behind. Outside of Princeton have kids they recruited.

Updated defense and be willing to switch to forms of zones and switches. Us trying to fight under every screen hurt us at the end of the season. Opponents figured this out so they learned how to exploit it.

Reactions: BoilerDeac

Congrats on ZERO people signing to this point. You are making a difference!

Painter seems to like the analytics
either close 2 or a 3

FrDsjFxWAAUjzYH

FrDsQEjX0AMf1n4

FrDsMnbWIAUkMtp

FrDswezXgAAcvYh
Interesting. If the dots are somewhat accurate it appears that 1Kansas, 2UCLA, 8Arkansas, 3Gonzaga, 11Arizona state, 4IU, 2Texas, 1 Houston, 6Kentucky, 7Michigan State,8 Memphis, 8Maryland, 11N.C State, 9West Virginia ,11 Mississippi State, 10 USC were not afraid of the in-between game in the tourney

I'm organizing a sit-in.

I'm going to sit in my living room and drink beer until he is fired.
If Anheuser-Busch is looking for the next installment of “Real American Heroes” …. I think we have it—- right here on this board.

Hoisting my pint in your direction, Gem95😎👍

I am as frustrated as anyone with our tournament results. Last summer Painter did try to pick up Pack and one other guard out of the portal. Both went elsewhere, most likely due to money. We finally got Jenkins. So Painter played the hand he had.....Loyer and Smith. For a freshman PG I think Smith played well all season. Yes, he made TOs but he is learning the most difficult position on the run at a major level. Loyer was very good early but I think he just wore down as a younger player will do. Also heard he had a calf injury late in the season. I think Painter has mismanaged Newman for the past 2 years and overrated Morton. It may never happen, but we need to be able to play zone on occasion. Breaking the press has been an issue off and on for a few seasons. These are in the "in house" issues. Add to that the Big Ten style of play and poor officiating and you have a several contributing factors leading to failure in March. Painter runs a good program that we can all be proud of, March not withstanding. His players are high character. They graduate and don't get into trouble. Most importantly , they all seem to genuinely care about each other. Painter may not be perfect but he wouldn't have a problem getting a job elsewhere. Off hand, I can't think of anyone in the Big 10 I would prefer over Matt. Nationally I am hard pressed as well. And don't say Shaka....he has had one good run and that's it. One of the hottest coaches in the country now is Shrews..... and where did he come from??

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No kidding. I have seen posters on here I've never seen before, displaying a sad lack of knowledge. Clankhan is a great example. Seems to have been a long-term member since 2016, but never posted until we lost. Since then it's been nothing but vitriol in every post. Real dumb stuff mostly. He must have bet more than he could lose on this kid's game. Then wants to spout over here. Frankly I'd rather read the stuff from bonefish than Clank's crap. At least Lenny has been with us through feast & famine, and most importantly posts with respect for other members.
You should worry about your own post history as there's more than enough to talk about there. Not sure how foreign this concept is for you but fans tend to complain when their team is not performing well.

Also respect tends to be a two way street (unlike most streets on campus (tic)). Assuming you have been following along, I stopped arguing with Pally a while back (and hint: I wasn't the one throwing insults but I'm sure you know that since you went through my post history).

Lastly, I don't gamble. However, people are allowed to (and tend to) voice their displeasure when their team is not doing well. I've been lurking for several years but decided to post recently as the last three years have been terrible enough to ask for a change (I'm sure there are a huge portion of Purdue fans that agree).

At the end of the day; whether Purdue makes three consecutive final fours, Painter grabs five lottery picks via the portal, we have a team full of Donnie Hales and Ronnie Johnsons or we become forever NIT bound, my life is not really affected (sans for some saved time and heartache come Winter and Spring). I just find amusing (and a tad bit irritating) the jumping through and bending over hoops some people do to justify/defend the state of the program whilst accusing disgruntled fans with different viewpoints of being 'IU fans' or 'Morons' . (i.e. "TOP PLAYERS DON'T WANT TO COME HERE CAUSE... oF tHe AcAdeMicS!", "We DoNt GeT tOp PlAyErS cAuSe We DoNt ChEaT!", "NiL iS StUpId, GeTtInG yOuR eDuCaTiOn PaId FoR iS eNoUgH", "YoU ArE a MoRoN")

Sorry if this offends you.

Last edited:
You seem to talk in circles a lot, Pally.
Just to provide some context to why I said this (just so '@mathboy' has the right info before he starts on another red bull / stimulant induced text wall)

Pally went from:
Schools are lining up to hire Painter off our hands --> Painter would be hired at any top program -> Painter is not leaving Purdue -> Schools like Arkansas would immediately jump all over Painter if he were to leave -> People refuting said claim --> (Pally reverting back to) Painter is not leaving Purdue --> Pally asking why people are still responding to him --> Pally asking why people are whining.
(rinse and repeat, not 100% in the same order however)

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the "too stubborn" charge. What exactly are people referring to? People used to say it about Painter playing his upper classmen over freshmen. Or that he won't play zone defense.

The more I read about the "stubborn" charge, the more I think that he just isn't doing what the TRUE experts in the fanbase want him to do.
Playing bums like Stefanovic and Morton way too many minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT