ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Matt Painter Petition...

BoilerInChiTown

True Freshman
Oct 5, 2016
First of all, I went to Purdue when Painter played. I like him as a person and I think he a good regular season coach, but not many people outside of the Midwest care much about BIG titles and certainly not the national media calling Purdue the "Choke Artist Program of the Decade" etc...
College basketball is all about March and us losing to North Texas (#13), St. Peters (#15), Fairleigh Dickinson (#16) along with Little Rock etc. are not acceptable for program like Purdue.

The head coach is the CEO of their program, so when you have failed on the biggest stage you should be accountable for his failure.
I think Painter has become too comfortable, too stubborn and too rigid for the good of Purdue.
So with this petition, this is your chance to voice your displeasure with Matt Painter.
This might not get him fired but it should be put him on notice to at the very least to make major changes if he wants keep his job.

First of all, I went to Purdue when Painter played. I like him as a person and I think he a good regular season coach, but not many people outside of the Midwest care much about BIG titles and certainly not the national media calling Purdue the "Choke Artist Program of the Decade" etc...
College basketball is all about March and us losing to North Texas (#13), St. Peters (#15), Fairleigh Dickinson (#16) along with Little Rock etc. are not acceptable for program like Purdue.

The head coach is the CEO of their program, so when you have failed on the biggest stage you should be accountable for his failure.
I think Painter has become too comfortable, too stubborn and too rigid for the good of Purdue.
So with this petition, this is your chance to voice your displeasure with Matt Painter.
This might not get him fired but it should be put him on notice to at the very least to make major changes if he wants keep his job.

I have a question regarding the "too stubborn" charge. What exactly are people referring to? People used to say it about Painter playing his upper classmen over freshmen. Or that he won't play zone defense.

The more I read about the "stubborn" charge, the more I think that he just isn't doing what the TRUE experts in the fanbase want him to do.

Matt Painter is not going to get fired and if he did get fired, programs would be lining up to hire him. He just won a regular season and BTT championship with average talent and youth. His shooters didn’t shoot well in key games this year and his freshmen guards played like freshmen, but only an idiot would fire Matt Painter this off-season. Have fun with your petition.

Matt Painter is not going to get fired and if he did get fired, programs would be lining up to hire him. He just won a regular season and BTT championship with average talent and youth. His shooters didn’t shoot well in key games this year and his freshmen guards played like freshmen, but only an idiot would fire Matt Painter this off-season. Have fun with your petition.
Who would line up to hire him? Nebraska?

I have a question regarding the "too stubborn" charge. What exactly are people referring to? People used to say it about Painter playing his upper classmen over freshmen. Or that he won't play zone defense.

The more I read about the "stubborn" charge, the more I think that he just isn't doing what the TRUE experts in the fanbase want him to do.
Not putting certain players in the dog house and playing scared. (Newman immediately comes to mine but everyone on the team looked afraid to take a shot when it came crunch time)

The logic dictates that being stubborn and not changing is the reason for a line of demarcation between season and tourney...OR does that make sense? ;) I've read a LOT of opinions and they are all over the place. Sometimes they ever contradict what was said by the same poster inside a post....and some like those thoughts. ;) What is true is that the public finds the seasonal expectations being met very well, but not the tourney over a few years. A real answer may not be as easy as many believe.

Nobody is going to fire Matt. The people that want that have no influence. However, let's pretend that Bobinski was ready to fire Matt. If the reason for firing Matt was tourney success and let's pretend that firing Matt never affected potential coaches that have proven success applied. Wouldn't bobinski want to know the real reason why the differencee between season and tourney played out so he could focus on the attributes that would apply at Purdue?

Do something other than lose to double digit seeds (including a 16 seed) three years in a row.

I'm depressed as anyone after this devastating loss. Can't even think about wearing Purdue gear visibly in public. And I agree this loss is on Painter. I get that he didn't miss all those 3s, but he obviously didn't have a plan B.

That being said, putting a petition to oust Painter is way over the top and quite frankly a bad look for the fanbase.

🤣

Time well spent.

But wouldn’t expect anything less from someone who calls a fellow Purdue fan a “ball licker”. Classy.

Why would Miami, Arkansas or Alabama line up to get CMP?? Did I miss something?
If they had an opening, and we had stupidly fired him, you bet an NIL-rich school would be interested.

That would allow him to play the way he wants, instead of play the way the has to, due to money restrictions.

If they had an opening, and we had stupidly fired him, you bet an NIL-rich school would be interested.

That would allow him to play the way he wants, instead of play the way the has to, due to money restrictions.
Those 3 schools probably weren’t the best examples though, I do agree with your remark though, just not the examples lol

Reactions: clankhan

I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. Those 3 schools have no interest in CMP now. I guess if your point was that they fired their coaches they would want CMP, I guess they might be interested. But seems like 3 strange schools to pick out right now.

Reactions: clankhan
This is a fatuous endeavor. Perhaps you would be more successful in steering players and recruits to Terhune.

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Bobinski is not going to fire Painter, and the latter is not infallible, nor immune from providing answers to tough questions posed by the former. And Painter needs to answer for some of his tactics, how he plans to reverse the double-digit seed hang-up, the strident/sarcastic tone of some of his late public statements, whether he still wears Drakkar Noir, etc.

The number of fans/donors who could truly convince Bobinski to dismiss Painter is miniscule, and I sincerely doubt that those most -- if any -- of those people want him gone today.

But good luck with the petition indeed.

I guess I missed the point you were trying to make. Those 3 schools have no interest in CMP now. I guess if your point was that they fired their coaches they would want CMP, I guess they might be interested. But seems like 3 strange schools to pick out right now.
Those are 3 schools that have a considerable NIL advantage over us, and would be appealing to Painter, who could be tired of being the A’s or Reds and wants to be the Yankees or Dodgers.

Reactions: Dryfly88
The logic dictates that being stubborn and not changing is the reason for a line of demarcation between season and tourney...OR does that make sense? ;) I've read a LOT of opinions and they are all over the place. Sometimes they ever contradict what was said by the same poster inside a post....and some like those thoughts. ;) What is true is that the public finds the seasonal expectations being met very well, but not the tourney over a few years. A real answer may not be as easy as many believe.

Nobody is going to fire Matt. The people that want that have no influence. However, let's pretend that Bobinski was ready to fire Matt. If the reason for firing Matt was tourney success and let's pretend that firing Matt never affected potential coaches that have proven success applied. Wouldn't bobinski want to know the real reason why the differencee between season and tourney played out so he could focus on the attributes that would apply at Purdue?

Are you saying you (or Bobinski) don't know what the difference is between the B1G and the tourney? I think we all do, it's not a matter of knowing the difference. It's a matter of wanting or being willing to change to facilitate a better possible outcome.

Reactions: drewjin
I'm depressed as anyone after this devastating loss. Can't even think about wearing Purdue gear visibly in public. And I agree this loss is on Painter. I get that he didn't miss all those 3s, but he obviously didn't have a plan B.

That being said, putting a petition to oust Painter is way over the top and quite frankly a bad look for the fanbase.
Plan A was always get it inside to Edey and if they prevent that or double and triple team, then Plan B was to kick it back out to shooters and they just didn't hit enough. I think they even did some Plan C with attaching the basket on the press, but I think Smith wore down and Jenkins really isn't that type of player. If Purdue had a decent backup point guard, that might have helped, but good PGs are the position to find and most teams are lucky if they get one. Purdue's offense just doesn't run well with combo guards running point unless most of them are hitting well from the outside.

One of my biggest pet peeves, is the over reliance on 3 pointers in basketball right now, way to many times teams pass up good mid-range jumpers for a more low percentage 3. It is not a Purdue problem, but a basketball problem in general at all levels. I know that mostly comes from analytics, but I think that could be the best and easiest change Painter could make going forward, take the best shot available, not strictly the best 3 pointer. Maybe he does teach that, but it is so ingrained in the players now, that they revert to it without even thinking. I know, I am living in the past, but until someone can show me documented, peer reviewed 😁 proof that zero points is more than two, I will stick with old school.

Plan A was always get it inside to Edey and if they prevent that or double and triple team, then Plan B was to kick it back out to shooters and they just didn't hit enough. I think they even did some Plan C with attaching the basket on the press, but I think Smith wore down and Jenkins really isn't that type of player. If Purdue had a decent backup point guard, that might have helped, but good PGs are the position to find and most teams are lucky if they get one. Purdue's offense just doesn't run well with combo guards running point unless most of them are hitting well from the outside.

One of my biggest pet peeves, is the over reliance on 3 pointers in basketball right now, way to many times teams pass up good mid-range jumpers for a more low percentage 3. It is not a Purdue problem, but a basketball problem in general at all levels. I know that mostly comes from analytics, but I think that could be the best and easiest change Painter could make going forward, take the best shot available, not strictly the best 3 pointer. Maybe he does teach that, but it is so ingrained in the players now, that they revert to it without even thinking. I know, I am living in the past, but until someone can show me documented, peer reviewed 😁 proof that zero points is more than two, I will stick with old school.
You can’t make a serious NCAA tournament run today without 3 point shooting being part of the mix. Painter has the shooters, but this season three point shooting was a huge struggle. That was not the case when he had his string of consecutive sweet 16 appearances. It became a mental thing with the current team.

So far we have 618 fans who want him fired.

However, I support him. Did a good job this year and should have been Coach of the Year in the B10 by winning the league by 3 games from a team thought to be an also ran.

Sure he is the worse NCAAT in history imo. But it is SO RARE we even have the guard talent to compete past the first weekend anyway.

You can’t make a serious NCAA tournament run today without 3 point shooting being part of the mix. Painter has the shooters, but this season three point shooting was a huge struggle. That was not the case when he had his string of consecutive sweet 16 appearances. It became a mental thing with the current team.
That wasn't my point, I am not say don't shoot any 3s, just too many times teams settle for step back 3s that aren't in rhythm, when the 15-18 footer was. Analytics can't account for in rhythm or out, but I bet if they could, in rhythm 2 point jumpers would beat step back 3s all day, especially in the last ten minutes of the game when players legs are starting to tire.

So far we have 618 fans who want him fired.

However, I support him. Did a good job this year and should have been Coach of the Year in the B10 by winning the league by 3 games from a team thought to be an also ran.

Sure he is the worse NCAAT in history imo. But it is SO RARE we even have the guard talent to compete past the first weekend anyway.
But it is SO RARE we even have the guard talent to compete past the first weekend anyway.

Exactly. Let's find a coach who will prioritize said guard talent.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
You are truly clueless.
Paint has a great basketball mind, a little stubborn at flexing his system sometimes or when it matters. He is overall is a good coach. He most definitely would/could get a job with more resources than Purdue. It's been the path for Purdue sports for a very long time.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Are you saying you (or Bobinski) don't know what the difference is between the B1G and the tourney? I think we all do, it's not a matter of knowing the difference. It's a matter of wanting or being willing to change to facilitate a better possible outcome.
It is a single elimination game like the BTT they won a couple of days before. The results leading up to the NCAA tourney are different than the results in the tourney. If Matt doesn't change, then why expect losses when Purdue won before. Sure FDU was much better than many thought, but we can't say they were better than most teams in the Big. So I think you are implying that Matt must be changing to change the results from winning to losing or that his changes he makes may work for other teams, but not in the tourney. I'm trying to understand the whys. There is no doubt that Matt is aware of potential "stress" of a tourney. It isn't his first rodeo and he is with other coaches and talks to other coaches to try to prevent that. NO coach is immune from those thoughts in any tight game. Even the players "offer" that Matt keeps them loose.

Many see "wound tight" and I can agree with having that perception. Now, if the appearance is truly related to being wound tight does our database only have one answer to that for all players...and that is stress cause by Matt that was different in the tourney than the games before...not just this year, but other years as well. My point about Bobinski is that if he ever got to the point where Matt left or he wanted to fire Matt due to lacking tourney success he would want to know the "characteristics" to "search for" in a candidate...not a flash in the pan or another coach in a different circumstance, but what to look for at Purdue to bring tourney success. He wouldn't say ...this guy had tourney success let's get him...I don't think. When he was hiring the football coach he never brought in someone that had a history of success, but appears he looked for characteristics he thought were important. Whether it works out or not my point is there were more considerations than what was the record because there wasn't much and I image there were a lot more history with others. I only mentioned Bobinski because it appears his considerations were greater than a single item...at least it appeared that way to me...

He had the NPOY who is 7'4" & couldn't beat a 16 seed team with no player bigger than 6'7. Schools with big NIL money are not going to hire a coach that has been to 1 E8 in 18 years.
Why do you think he’s trying to win with a 7’-4” guy….think about it…

If there's any success with this petition, I might start a gofundme page for clinical depression over watching my beloved team go down in flames during their annual pilgrimage to Never Final Four Land....I could some extra spending money. What say ye , old great philosopher's of the orange pumpkin called basketball 🏀 🤣

Reactions: drewjin
It is a single elimination game like the BTT they won a couple of days before. The results leading up to the NCAA tourney are different than the results in the tourney. If Matt doesn't change, then why expect losses when Purdue won before. Sure FDU was much better than many thought, but we can't say they were better than most teams in the Big. So I think you are implying that Matt must be changing to change the results from winning to losing or that his changes he makes may work for other teams, but not in the tourney. I'm trying to understand the whys. There is no doubt that Matt is aware of potential "stress" of a tourney. It isn't his first rodeo and he is with other coaches and talks to other coaches to try to prevent that. NO coach is immune from those thoughts in any tight game. Even the players "offer" that Matt keeps them loose.

Many see "wound tight" and I can agree with having that perception. Now, if the appearance is truly related to being wound tight does our database only have one answer to that for all players...and that is stress cause by Matt that was different in the tourney than the games before...not just this year, but other years as well. My point about Bobinski is that if he ever got to the point where Matt left or he wanted to fire Matt due to lacking tourney success he would want to know the "characteristics" to "search for" in a candidate...not a flash in the pan or another coach in a different circumstance, but what to look for at Purdue to bring tourney success. He wouldn't say ...this guy had tourney success let's get him...I don't think. When he was hiring the football coach he never brought in someone that had a history of success, but appears he looked for characteristics he thought were important. Whether it works out or not my point is there were more considerations than what was the record because there wasn't much and I image there were a lot more history with others. I only mentioned Bobinski because it appears his considerations were greater than a single item...at least it appeared that way to me...
I have no idea about the wound tight you are talking about. I've never made any assertion that the players or CMP is tight in the tourney. Seems weak if true.

My assertion and one, I think many others share, is the B1G does not prepare you well for March. Likewise, success in the B1G does not correlate to success in March. Yes, we won the BTT the weekend prior by Beating the following teams:

Rutgers - Didn't make the Dance
OSU - Didn't make the dance
PSU - a 10 seed in the dance.

Not exactly a murders row. Also those teams, like the rest of the B1G are very predictable. CMP has found a formula that works in the conference but doesn't translate to success in March. Dump it in to the post, and when your center can't score or get the ball you pass it around until the shot clock is almost up and then shoot a 3. The reason that works in the B1G is because that is how they play. Slow, plodding, hold and grab on defense. Don't press, don't fast break just slow it down and grind it out. Our center is better than anyone else's at doing just that so we win a lot of conference games.

Forget about us for a second and just look at IU last night. They were whipped by a team who's center is not the focus but they couldn't contain their guards. Miami was so much quicker it wasn't even close.

Top 2 teams in the B1G were beaten by teams that have more athleticism especially at the guard position. Not surprising and also not new. We know what the problem is, are we willing to change to fix it? Or just keep doing what we do? And I mean that from a conference perspective, not just PU.

Unless MSU pulls a miracle (very doubtful) this will be year 23 since a B1G has won it all. Very likely we won't even get a team to the FF. No other P5 conference has such futility.

Last thing I will say on this in this thread: You watch a lot of B1G basketball. Can you honestly say you don't see a difference between what you watch in January and February and what you are seeing now? It's a different game being played on the same court.

ADVERTISEMENT