ADVERTISEMENT

Filling out a 2020 winning depth chart

CDBRclass01

All-American
Sep 16, 2019
I thought this would be an interesting exercise to do.. sort of, as a mechanism for coping with the season seemingly in the crapper (I think we’d all agree that it’s there until further notice. Not saying Brohm can’t pull off a miracle)

The idea is to start with a depth chart that’s mostly empty, and then to fill in players as they serve notice that they could hold down x spot on a team that can go 7-5 next year.

WR David Bell
Jared Sparks

WR Rondale Moore
Jackson Anthrop

WR Amad Anderson

QB Jack Plummer

LT Grant Hermanns

LG ______________
Mark Stickford

C ______________

RG _____________
DJ Washington

RT _____________

TE _____________
Payne Durham

RB King Doerue

DE George Karlaftis
Branson Deen

DT Lawrence Johnson
Jack Sullivan

DT Anthony Watts

Leo Derrick Barnes

LB Cornel Jones

LB ______________

LB Jaylan Alexander

NB Simeon Smiley
Jalen Graham

CB Cory Trice

FS ____________

SS ____________
Brennan Thienemann

CB ___________

I think this looks right. I feel comfortable that I could answer any “but why is/isn’t x here??”

Here is where I think this gets interesting to me. The only current seniors to me that fill in blanks are McCann and Hopkins as starters, Holt as a starter, and Mosley perhaps as a starter if a defense was good enough that FS is not one of your stronger positions.

So, if you have a player like Higgins. Someone may say “but freshmen are too weak to play DT in the Big Ten.” Isn’t Higgins 250ish lbs and not an explosive threat at DE? Could Faucheux be weaker than that?

Cam Allen. I wouldn’t be shocked if they are thinking safety with him. He’s fast, big and seems to have a knack for being in the right place.

“But what about Mackey and major??” Dudes got benched. Maybe the defensive changes will bring in them back into good graces.

So many changes on offense, I’ll be burning on who makes any kind of presence known.

Thoughts?

Reactions: DannyGranger
I thought this would be an interesting exercise to do.. sort of, as a mechanism for coping with the season seemingly in the crapper (I think we’d all agree that it’s there until further notice. Not saying Brohm can’t pull off a miracle)

The idea is to start with a depth chart that’s mostly empty, and then to fill in players as they serve notice that they could hold down x spot on a team that can go 7-5 next year.

WR David Bell
Jared Sparks

WR Rondale Moore
Jackson Anthrop

WR Amad Anderson

QB Jack Plummer

LT Grant Hermanns

LG ______________
Mark Stickford

C ______________

RG _____________
DJ Washington

RT _____________

TE _____________
Payne Durham

RB King Doerue

DE George Karlaftis
Branson Deen

DT Lawrence Johnson
Jack Sullivan

DT Anthony Watts

Leo Derrick Barnes

LB Cornel Jones

LB ______________

LB Jaylan Alexander

NB Simeon Smiley
Jalen Graham

CB Cory Trice

FS ____________

SS ____________
Brennan Thienemann

CB ___________

I think this looks right. I feel comfortable that I could answer any “but why is/isn’t x here??”

Here is where I think this gets interesting to me. The only current seniors to me that fill in blanks are McCann and Hopkins as starters, Holt as a starter, and Mosley perhaps as a starter if a defense was good enough that FS is not one of your stronger positions.

So, if you have a player like Higgins. Someone may say “but freshmen are too weak to play DT in the Big Ten.” Isn’t Higgins 250ish lbs and not an explosive threat at DE? Could Faucheux be weaker than that?

Cam Allen. I wouldn’t be shocked if they are thinking safety with him. He’s fast, big and seems to have a knack for being in the right place.

“But what about Mackey and major??” Dudes got benched. Maybe the defensive changes will bring in them back into good graces.

So many changes on offense, I’ll be burning on who makes any kind of presence known.

Thoughts?
Just doing offense. Maybe defense later if I get time.

WR’s
Bell/Sparks
Anderson/Bonner
Moore/Anthrop

QB
Plummer/O’Connell

RB
King//Hewitt/Murphy

TE
Durham/Miller/Bilodeau ( but all 3 play situationally)

RT
Bramel/?

RG
stickford/?

Center
Beach/Garvin

LG
McKenna/Washington

LT
Herman’s/Miller

WR’s
Bell/Sparks
Anderson/Bonner
Moore/Anthrop

QB
Plummer/O’Connell

RB
King//Hewitt/Murphy

TE

RT
Bramel/?

RG
stickford/?

Center
Beach/Garvin

LG
McKenna/Washington

LT
Herman’s/Miller

The concept I’m going with here is what Is established? In other words, not listing a player as a starter unless they’ve proven that they are starter quality

The concept I’m going with here is what Is established? In other words, not listing a player as a starter unless they’ve proven that they are starter quality
Oh Ok.. I guess I just put my 2 Deep together, moving players into a starting role if I thought they would be starters ( i.e McKenna, etc). May give it another shot later with your rules if I have time.

Oh Ok.. I guess I just put my 2 Deep together, moving players into a starting role if I thought they would be starters ( i.e McKenna, etc). May give it another shot later with your rules if I have time.

I’m not trying to be a dick. I’m saying, where we are ain’t pretty, so if we start with an almost blank chart, it will be interesting to see who can play their way onto it.

If you look at the 03 team, by the end of 02, you had a pretty good depth chart established and the amount you needed to fill in was inconsequential

Reactions: BlkGoldHoops

WR’s
Bell/Sparks
Anderson/Bonner
Moore/Anthrop

QB
Plummer/O’Connell

RB
King//Hewitt/Murphy

TE

RT
Bramel/?

RG
stickford/?

Center
Beach/Garvin

LG
McKenna/Washington

LT
Herman’s/Miller
Who ya got on d?

Karlaftis, Moore, Bell, herrmanns, Barnes, watt can all be inked in as starters. After that,...?

Doerue, Jones, Alexander, johnson, Anderson

Starter quality... they could get beat out but if they don’t I’m good with it

Doerue, Jones, Alexander, johnson, Anderson

Starter quality... they could get beat out but if they don’t I’m good with it
Doerue probably
Jones probably, but damn he makes bad reads
Alexander no
Johnson no
Anderson probably. Forgot how much I’ve been impressed with him

Doerue probably
Jones probably, but damn he makes bad reads
Alexander no
Johnson no
Anderson probably. Forgot how much I’ve been impressed with him

Depends on your burden for starting. Not claiming any of them are dominant starters

He is the only big ten caliber player we have. All the pressure has come from the right side or right over Criddle.

I saw a lot of pressure run right around him in the PSU game. Numerous times...

And yes, he's better than our right tackle. But that's not saying much...

I saw a lot of pressure run right around him in the PSU game. Numerous times...

And yes, he's better than our right tackle. But that's not saying much...
He is the beat lineman. Easily

who had responsibility for blocking the person you think ran by him? Psu overloaded the edges and it confused the shit out of our offense

He is the beat lineman. Easily

who had responsibility for blocking the person you think ran by him? Psu overloaded the edges and it confused the shit out of our offense

Handicap our chances of having a left tackle better than hermanns by the 2020 opener lmao

Dude ran a stunt around beech and wasn’t touched by Criddle or beach in the process. I mean wow

Do you think beach is that bad healthy?

And maybe $19.99 is what it takes. Maybe if we pay that, instead of this “you never know” bullshit, if we end up with starters like Criddle, Horvath and holt, we will be told “nice kids, good people, but cover your nuts guys.”

Do you think beach is that bad healthy?

And maybe $19.99 is what it takes. Maybe if we pay that, instead of this “you never know” bullshit, if we end up with starters like Criddle, Horvath and holt, we will be told “nice kids, good people, but cover your nuts guys.”
I don’t think he’s suited for center

Are you remotely aware how good gross Matos is?

Are you remotely aware of how bad this line looked against Penn State and TCU? Both of those are good, but not great teams. How many sacks would we have against Ohio St or Wisconsin, or even Auburn for that matter? How do you suppose this team is going to compete for the West in the next two years if Hermanns is our "best" lineman? I'm not saying it's reality that Hermanns doesn't start next year. But if he is the "best" we have, then wow...

Are you remotely aware of how bad this line looked against Penn State and TCU? Both of those are good, but not great teams. How many sacks would we have against Ohio St or Wisconsin, or even Auburn for that matter? How do you suppose this team is going to compete for the West in the next two years if Hermanns is our "best" lineman? I'm not saying it's reality that Hermanns doesn't start next year. But if he is the "best" we have, then wow...
Uh, you are offbase with PSU. They are an excellent team. Potent offense and a strong. aggressive, defense. They are ranked #10 or so now and have only had one game that was remotely close so far (Pitt), and that game was played in horrible weather.

Uh, you are offbase with PSU. They are an excellent team. Potent offense and a strong. aggressive, defense. They are ranked #10 or so now and have only had one game that was remotely close so far (Pitt), and that game was played in horrible weather.

And yet they've played no one in the Top 25. Until they do, i won't consider them a great team. We'll see how they do this weekend.

They’re beating opponents by around 50 ppg while giving up 7 ppg. That seems dominant to me.

Again, who have they played?? You may be right. But the same thing was said the past few years and they got destroyed by elite teams. I'll hold on calling them great until I see it happen.

Updated

WR David Bell
Jared Sparks

WR Rondale Moore
Jackson Anthrop

WR Amad Anderson
Milton Wright

QB Jack Plummer

LT Grant Hermanns

LG ______________
Mark Stickford

C ______________