ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite arena to watch college basketball (And lambert discussion)

njm8845

Senior
Jul 1, 2008
Wondering how many different venues people have watched college basketball. Here’s my viewing experience and some quick notes:

1) Mackey
2) carver Hawkeye - neat concept, good crowd even tho they were bad the two times I’ve visited.
3) welsh Ryan - I just like old gyms. It was unbelievably hot, but I’m excited for their renovation.
4) State Farm arena (Illinois) - the slope of the bowl is too shallow, you’re so far away from the court. I think it’s very ugly from the outside too. No character like the home rub renovation that Mackey did.
5) Crysler center - plush red seats and dim lights encouraged fans to be really quiet. I didn’t like it at all. And the students have awesome seats but they always seem to not be very raucous.

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

As you can see, I’m a big fan of the older arenas.

As an aside, has anyone in here ever seen a game in lambert?

Wondering how many different venues people have watched college basketball. Here’s my viewing experience and some quick notes:

1) Mackey
2) carver Hawkeye - neat concept, good crowd even tho they were bad the two times I’ve visited.
3) welsh Ryan - I just like old gyms. It was unbelievably hot, but I’m excited for their renovation.
4) State Farm arena (Illinois) - the slope of the bowl is too shallow, you’re so far away from the court. I think it’s very ugly from the outside too. No character like the home rub renovation that Mackey did.
5) Crysler center - plush red seats and dim lights encouraged fans to be really quiet. I didn’t like it at all. And the students have awesome seats but they always seem to not be very raucous.

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

Mich has changed, their court's lighting has gotten brighter much like ours over the years and I think their arena got a make over in the last 5 yrs. I also like Carver-Hawkeye.

In the 1960's I went to a few games in old Lambert Gym (both my parents worked at Purdue back then and we lived a couple blocks away near Westside HS)-I think the capacity was around 7,500 but could be increased with indoor collapsible wood bleachers to around 10K? The temp bleachers were erected fairly high up and steep or maybe that's how one remembers them as a little kid?

Inside was very dark-glaring bright lights illuminated only the court-to be honest, I have been in HS gyms that had more electricity-as far as lighting or excitement........In my opinion Hinkle Fieldhouse was then and still is a better venue for basketball

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckJr

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

Lambert in my Purdue years 1952-1956.It was also the site for our high school semi state(Logansport regional).I saw a semi state bloodbath between Lafayette Jeff and a Gary school (I think Froebel).Dickson,Klinker and Fisher for Jeff and Fred "The Hammer" Williamson for Froebel.Jeff won the game but Froebel won the brief altercation resulting from a Jeff player providing the shove that sent a Gary player off the end of the elevated floor and into the crowd.I had a class or two in Lambert(one taught by Piggy who still had his hand in the basketball program as freshmen coach).A total different era with tuition at $65/semester and almost zero autos owned by students.I had three friends with autos.Two were Air Transportation students and the other lived at home in Romney.I think we were all sort of odd as only Kirk had a big 3 auto.Phil had a Kaiser,Chuck had a Hudson and at home I had a Graham.

I've been to a handful of games at Williams Arena. "The Barn" is pretty cool with its raised floor,barrel roof, etc . Team locker rooms are also subgrade and until 1990's were awful-too hot or too cold. Site lines for fans can be problematic. I once sat behind a steel I-Beam support but overall it is a place to visit to soak up the atmosphere and nostalgia. The last time I was there, I went with a handicapped wheelchair bound friend and we were seated courtside in a special area, 3' below the court.

In the 1960's I went to a few games in old Lambert Gym (both my parents worked at Purdue back then and we lived a couple blocks away near Westside HS)-I think the capacity was around 7,500 but could be increased with indoor collapsible wood bleachers to around 10K? The temp bleachers were erected fairly high up and steep or maybe that's how one remembers them as a little kid?

Inside was very dark-glaring bright lights illuminated only the court-to be honest, I have been in HS gyms that had more electricity-as far as lighting or excitement........In my opinion Hinkle Fieldhouse was then and still is a better venue for basketball
Lambert in my Purdue years 1952-1956.It was also the site for our high school semi state(Logansport regional)...
Seems that I recall Lambert as being a "temporary" court layed over the indoor track and surrounded by huge draperies that would occasionally result in delays for floor sweeping when exit doors would be opened and the wind would blow dirt on the floor. Is my mind failing or do you recall that?

Reactions: indyogb and ChuckJr
Seems that I recall Lambert as being a "temporary" court layed over the indoor track and surrounded by huge draperies that would occasionally result in delays for floor sweeping when exit doors would be opened and the wind would blow dirt on the floor. Is my mind failing or do you recall that?
I remember the curtains as being tarp-like. Flapped every time the doors opened. Needed to leave your coat and gloves on in the winter.
I've been to Lambert, Mackey, SIU, the old Murray State arena, Market Square, Roberts Stadium and the one at Indiana State.

Reactions: 70boiler

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

I saw games (mid to late '60s) in Lambert too. Purdue teams with Schellhase, Ebershoff, Brady ... Mount's freshman year. First Big 10 games I saw, so it made an immense impression. Rickety bleachers. Cavernous. Reeked of popcorn (and cigarettes around the exterior). Doors opened, Indiana winter winds rushed in.

Mackey seemed ultra-modern -- Space Age, as we called it then -- when it was built 50 years ago.

As I recall, Lambert maintained an indoor track after Mackey opened. A basketball floor too; I played in the old barn during my mid-'70s undergraduate years. For better and worse, every gym has its character, especially if you have hoop dreams.

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

Besides Mackey.....

1) St John’s arena
2) frank Erwin center (the Drum)
2) pyramid (Memphis)
3) carver Hawkeye
4) assembly hall (Champaign)

I reallly want to see a game in the barn

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

Madison Square Garden is the best pro arena to watch a game (it's nice but it's not spacious/full of amenities - hence best to watch a game). It's Mackey Arena as a pro arena. The roof is slightly concave too, so it does not feel cavernous. You'd never guess it's 20k+.

Bankers Life is probably the next best - but too many of the seats are way up high. Can be hard to get a good atmosphere. Maryland's arena is a smaller version of Bankers Life - not that much smaller in capacity, but more compact.

If you have a chance to go to MSG for the Big Ten Tournament this year, go.

Mackey Arena, Purdue -- The Rocket launched Roundball in the Round
Assembly Hall/State Farm, Illinois -- Spaceship on the Prairie since ’63
Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Iowa -- Oval under street level
State Fairgrounds Coliseum, Indianapolis -- Cigar cloud over Roger Brown
Hinkle Fieldhouse, Butler -- Shooting from sunrays into shadows
Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis -- Jordan’s All-Star debut; our girls owned it
Athletic & Convocation Center/Joyce, Notre Dame -- Basket by Austin Carr
Lahaina Civic Center, Hawaii -- Up close and personal in Paradise
Market Square Arena, Indianapolis -- Elvis never left the building
Conseco/Bankers Life, Indianapolis -- Bricks on facades and rims
Bradley Center/BMOC Harris, Milwaukee -- The Big Dog’s Yard
United Center, Chicago -- The House that Jordan Built
Chicago Stadium, Chicago -- The House that Jordan tore down
Rupp Arena, Kentucky -- The Big House of Hoops
St. John’s Arena, Ohio State -- Balcony vs. Courtside a tie
Welsh-Ryan Arena, Northwestern -- Would-be junior high gym
Stegeman Coliseum, Georgia -- Kenny Rogers got booed as a fan
Frank Erwin Center, Texas -- Superdrum in name only; our drum beats theirs
The Summit, Houston -- Joe Barry vs. Moses
Crisler Arena, Michigan -- Next to The Big House; non-de-script
Breslin Center, Michigan State -- Purdue robbed of title to end first year
SIU Arena, Southern Illinois -- Walt Frazier’s Saluki home
Rosemont Horizon, DePaul -- Wood beams for jet screams
Genesis Center, Gary -- Frank Kendrick’s Steelheads ruled
Athletics-Recreation Center, Valparaiso -- Fans inspired to jog around
Golden Panther Arena, Florida International -- Middle-school cafeteria
International Amphitheater, Loyola-Chicago -- Next to cleaner Stock Yards
Alumni Gym, Loyola-Chicago -- So intimate, fans can play
Read Fieldhouse, Western Michigan -- Kalamazoo city zoo
Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit -- The Three Amigos would’ve helped demo
ass-embly/swayback hall, iu -- Got sick in first visit; not ironic

Loved 'em all ... but one

Last edited:
Madison Square Garden is the best pro arena to watch a game (it's nice but it's not spacious/full of amenities - hence best to watch a game). It's Mackey Arena as a pro arena.

If you have a chance to go to MSG for the Big Ten Tournament this year, go.
Planning to do that. My daughter lives in Manhattan, and she just finished booking round trip flights for me to visit her in New York for the long weekend of the B1G tournament. Our plans are to take in at least 1 Purdue game in the tourney.

Venues I've seen games in include:
• Mackey Arena
• The old Fairgrounds Coliseum in Indy
• Market Square Arena in Indy
• Hoosier/RCA Dome in Indy (including the 1997 NCAA Final Four)
• Joyce Center at Notre Dame (1988 NCAA 1st & 2nd rounds)
• Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy
• Welsh-Ryan Arena at Northwestern
• Athletics & Recreation Center at Valpo
• Rosemont Horizon
• assembly hall in bloomington

I've been in Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, but that was for a family member's graduation ceremony.
I would have been at the Pontiac Silverdome for the NCAA 1988 Regional if Purdue had reached the regional finals. Had my ticket, but Purdue was upset in the round of 16 so we did not go for the finals.

Besides Mackey.....

1) St John’s arena
2) frank Erwin center (the Drum)
2) pyramid (Memphis)
3) carver Hawkeye
4) assembly hall (Champaign)

I reallly want to see a game in the barn

Nice list.

Mackey is always first on my list of places to watch.
I really, REALLY loved watching games at St. John's arena. It was a close 3rd behind Hinkle Fieldhouse.

5 top arenas I have visited:

Allen Fieldhouse- Kansas: Its like nothing else in the sport: There is a reason ESPN voted it best venue in all of American sports.The Wrigley Field of college athletics

Hilton Coliseum-Iowa state: Really great venue, old and loud with the fans right on you. Might be skewed because I've only seen the atmosphere there when Kansas is in town.

Mackey Arena: In my opinion by far the best venue in the Big Ten and one of the better in the country. Old and nostalgic with a great game day atmosphere.

Rupp Arena-Kentucky: Went for the Kansas vs Kentucky game last year. Ok but nothing special, felt kind of like an NBA arena. Expected to be much louder with a capacity of 23,000

Chrysler Arena: Michigan- Went the first year thy did all the renovations in 2010 really nice arena. Good vantage point from every few and top notch accommodations.

Most Overrated/disappointing I've visited: Breslin Center (Michigan State) Gallagher Iba (Oklahoma State)

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

I sat behind the bench in my JV sweater (kinda looked like cousin Eddie’s sweater, minus the turtle neck dickie) back in ‘83 at Hinkle Field House. It is a beautiful old building for a ball game.

5 top arenas I have visited:

Allen Fieldhouse- Kansas: Its like nothing else in the sport: There is a reason ESPN voted it best venue in all of American sports.The Wrigley Field of college athletics

Hilton Coliseum-Iowa state: Really great venue, old and loud with the fans right on you. Might be skewed because I've only seen the atmosphere there when Kansas is in town.

Mackey Arena: In my opinion by far the best venue in the Big Ten and one of the better in the country. Old and nostalgic with a great game day atmosphere.

Rupp Arena-Kentucky: Went for the Kansas vs Kentucky game last year. Ok but nothing special, felt kind of like an NBA arena. Expected to be much louder with a capacity of 23,000

Chrysler Arena: Michigan- Went the first year thy did all the renovations in 2010 really nice arena. Good vantage point from every few and top notch accommodations.

Most Overrated/disappointing I've visited: Breslin Center (Michigan State) Gallagher Iba (Oklahoma State)

Have to agree with you on the Rupp Arena comment. I went a few years back. Although, the game I attended was more of an exhibition, but still. It wasn't at all what I expected.

Of course, the drunk sitting next to me didn't help matters. It wasn't that he was obnoxious, he just reeked of booze.

Planning to do that. My daughter lives in Manhattan, and she just finished booking round trip flights for me to visit her in New York for the long weekend of the B1G tournament. Our plans are to take in at least 1 Purdue game in the tourney.

• Mackey Arena
• Rosemont Horizon

I've been in Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, but that was for a family member's graduation ceremony.
I would have been at the Pontiac Silverdome for the NCAA 1988 Regional if Purdue had reached the regional finals. Had my ticket, but Purdue was upset in the round of 16 so we did not go for the finals.

I've also seen quite a few games in Conseco/Banker's Life. I didn't like it - too big. But it seems like it's about as good as an NBA arena can get.

It's strange how many of the new arenas are lifeless - Louisville, Ohio State. Why are they so bland? Nebraska's new arena seemed to have a cool atmosphere for our game last year. I don't know if it's always like that or not.

Cintas Center (xavier) is really well done. The best comparison is Bankers life without a 3rd level.

I've been to Rupp, its kind of bland.

I will visit Cameron Indoor in my lifetime.

Nice list.

Mackey is always first on my list of places to watch.
I really, REALLY loved watching games at St. John's arena. It was a close 3rd behind Hinkle Fieldhouse.

I always wanted to see a game at the old university of Oregon MacArthur court

Cintas Center (xavier) is really well done. The best comparison is Bankers life without a 3rd level.

I've been to Rupp, its kind of bland.

I will visit Cameron Indoor in my lifetime.

There's a few new-ish that's like Bankers life minus 3rd level. Mizzou's is similar as well. I like Xavier's (it's a good size for a college arena). The Pauley Pavilion renovation was well done - it needed it.

• Mackey Arena
• Rosemont Horizon

Hopefully you'll be at 3!

Enjoy NYC - glad you'll have a local's influence. It's hard to have a local experience in NYC, even many places that don't seem like tourist traps, indeed are. And she'll know that 5 minutes spent in Times Square is 4 minutes too long. :eek:

Reactions: Boilermb
I don’t have much to add to this right now as I’ve only ever been to Mackey, Crisler Arena, and the Joyce AAC at ND. But I hope to change that dramatically in the next few years. I’ve decided to catch a Purdue game at every Big Ten venue within the next 10 years. I’ve already been to Crisler in Ann Arbor. I have purchased tickets for my first game in Bloomington on January 28. Might also hit Champaign this year. Should be a fun journey through all these venues.

Hopefully you'll be at 3!

Enjoy NYC - glad you'll have a local's influence. It's hard to have a local experience in NYC, even many places that don't seem like tourist traps, indeed are. And she'll know that 5 minutes spent in Times Square is 4 minutes too long. :eek:
My first trip to Times Square resulted in me being greeted by 'Boiler Up!' by a passer by who noticed my Purdue hat. We were passing thru the square on our way to Heartland Brewery.
On another trip I did a bike ride thru Riverside Park along the Hudson River and got as far as Ground Zero. Stopped to take a long look at what was at the time just the 2 bath tubs. On my way back I passed the empty slip where the USS Intrepid was normally moored. It was empty, but out on the Hudson I saw the USS Intrepid being positioned by a fleet of tug boats. Turns out she'd been towed to another site for an extensive refurbishing, and was at that exact time I was passing, being guided back into her permanent slip.

Last edited:
total homer here, but its true. Anyone ever see a game at the old Robertson Memorial Fieldhouse in Peoria, IL.....Bradley University...????best place I have ever seen a game... raised floor like Minny. Field house like Hinkle. Lights off except for the floor. Like playing on a stage magnificent

They used to dim the lights on the crowd at Mackey Arena in the early years. All the lights were on the floor and the baskets stood out strongly. I always thought that was the best shooting environment possible. At least it eliminated all these crowd shenanigans we see in both college and pro arenas around the country.

They used to dim the lights on the crowd at Mackey Arena in the early years. All the lights were on the floor and the baskets stood out strongly. I always thought that was the best shooting environment possible. At least it eliminated all these crowd shenanigans we see in both college and pro arenas around the country.
it makes for a phenomenal environment..like i said..playing on a stage..but I bet it doesnt translate to TV

total homer here, but its true. Anyone ever see a game at the old Robertson Memorial Fieldhouse in Peoria, IL.....Bradley University...????best place I have ever seen a game... raised floor like Minny. Field house like Hinkle. Lights off except for the floor. Like playing on a stage magnificent
Yes. I attended many games there. The exterior building was fabricated from 2 WWII era air hangers. It was a great floor that had many great players perform on it.

Reactions: beercity23
Lambert in my Purdue years 1952-1956.It was also the site for our high school semi state(Logansport regional).I saw a semi state bloodbath between Lafayette Jeff and a Gary school (I think Froebel).Dickson,Klinker and Fisher for Jeff and Fred "The Hammer" Williamson for Froebel.Jeff won the game but Froebel won the brief altercation resulting from a Jeff player providing the shove that sent a Gary player off the end of the elevated floor and into the crowd.I had a class or two in Lambert(one taught by Piggy who still had his hand in the basketball program as freshmen coach).A total different era with tuition at $65/semester and almost zero autos owned by students.I had three friends with autos.Two were Air Transportation students and the other lived at home in Romney.I think we were all sort of odd as only Kirk had a big 3 auto.Phil had a Kaiser,Chuck had a Hudson and at home I had a Graham.

Being from the Lafayette area and whose father also attended Purdue, as a kid, I attended a number of sporting events at Lambert including the Purdue relays where Harrison Dillard from Baldwin-Wallace (who was the fastest man in the world in the 100 yard dash at the time) performed. I also attended the1955 Semi-State that year at the Fieldhouse where Gary Roosevelt (with future Purdue star Jake Eison) performed. I remember their Globetrotter "Sweet Georgia Brown" routine. They easily swept the Semi-State that year and looked invincible only to get throttled by the upstart Crispus Attucks team with the Big O and Willie Meriweather (who later played for Purdue) in the State Finals at what is now Hinckle Fieldhouse. Our entire High School basketball team attended the State Finals games and my recollecton of Hinckle was a similar experience to that portrayed in the movie, Hoosiers. It was the largest gym that I had ever been in and we sat up in the nose bleed seats. My recollection of Crispus Attucks was how Oscar Robertson could be going full speed, come to a quick, complete stop and loft an over-the-head jump shot. Completely ahead of his time and totally unstoppable. He revotionized basketball. Great memories of Indiana basketball.

I saw games (mid to late '60s) in Lambert too. Purdue teams with Schellhase, Ebershoff, Brady ... Mount's freshman year. First Big 10 games I saw, so it made an immense impression. Rickety bleachers. Cavernous. Reeked of popcorn (and cigarettes around the exterior). Doors opened, Indiana winter winds rushed in.

Mackey seemed ultra-modern -- Space Age, as we called it then -- when it was built 50 years ago.

As I recall, Lambert maintained an indoor track after Mackey opened. A basketball floor too; I played in the old barn during my mid-'70s undergraduate years. For better and worse, every gym has its character, especially if you have hoop dreams.
The pool was also under the floor at Lambert believe it or not.

1) Mackey

Here’s my bucket list:
1) Kansas
2) Minnesota
3) butler

Lambert as a barn was fun. I usually sat in the balcony behind one of the baskets as there were seats open. Highlights? Terry Dischinger, Dave Schellhase, beating IU with Jimmy Rayl and the VanArsdale twins, and watching paper airplanes get launched from the top of the student section. The few planes that made it all the way to the floor got standing ovations.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT