ADVERTISEMENT

Farewell to Arms

In Texas it is required to pass 6 hours in course instruction PLUS a shooting proficiency (usually 50 rounds) before a license is issued. Also, before a gun can not be bought legally until a criminal background check is done by the county sheriff. Also, the serial number is registered on any firearm bought.
Thank you. I don't know where this notion came from that anybody with $500 in their pocket can just stroll into a store and walk out with a firearm. Laws vary by state, but there are plenty that require training and demonstrated proficiency. Just look at the strict gun control laws in Illinois and see what's it's done for Chicago.

IMO, the people who are most afraid of guns and who are the biggest proponents of strict gun control are the people who know nothing about them other than what the media sensationalized for them or what they see at the movies.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Umm, In Texas you can walk into any gun show with that $500 and walk out with a gun. I recently moved from Houston where there was a multi-day Gun show at least twice a month. Texas has around 500 gun shows every year and I have personally seen friends buy guns without even showing an ID.

Originally posted by boilerntx:
In Texas it is required to pass 6 hours in course instruction PLUS a shooting proficiency (usually 50 rounds) before a license is issued. Also, before a gun can not be bought legally until a criminal background check is done by the county sheriff. Also, the serial number is registered on any firearm bought.
Thank you. I don't know where this notion came from that anybody with $500 in their pocket can just stroll into a store and walk out with a firearm. Laws vary by state, but there are plenty that require training and demonstrated proficiency. Just look at the strict gun control laws in Illinois and see what's it's done for Chicago.

IMO, the people who are most afraid of guns and who are the biggest proponents of strict gun control are the people who know nothing about them other than what the media sensationalized for them or what they see at the movies.
Umm, In Texas you can walk into any gun show with that $500 and walk out with a gun. I recently moved from Houston where there was a multi-day Gun show at least twice a month. Texas has around 500 gun shows every year and I have personally seen friends buy guns without even showing an ID.
So it's like that everywhere, then? Illinois, for instance? California? Washington?

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Purdue 95:
Originally posted by boilerntx:

So it's like that everywhere, then? Illinois, for instance? California? Washington?

Not sure about everywhere, I was just commenting on what I have personally seen in Texas. I'm pretty sure Oregon has a state law requiring background checks at gun shows and I know that California has a lot of gun show regulations.

This post was edited on 6/15 1:06 PM by boilerntx

You can not legally carry a concealed hand gun-with a few exceptions in Texas. Traveling more than two contiguous counties (business), rifles come under a different category especially for hunting and of course at home (defense). The license to carry is subject to review by the county sheriff. Felons can not legally carry, mentally committed can not. That still doesn't stop people from carrying legal or not. You are correct, almost anyone can buy at a show such as straw men can be used-it is illegal. Serial numbers are still supposed to be recorded at shows of the owner and ATF gets those. That doesn't mean things are ignored.

The horse is out of the barn. This debate will go no where because most of us that already own them won't just throw them away if Washington tried to confiscate them and the bad/goofy people will always have access.

This post was edited on 6/15 9:07 PM by threeeputtt

But that's half the problem - it's taking things to the extreme.

Nobody has suggested to go into people's homes and take guns from them. And to say every murder committed would be committed no matter what the law is, is also quite presumptuous.

The fact of the matter is our laws are quite non-21st century. States used to be these borders that were not often crossed, travel was not as easy, car ownership was not as high, etc. While states rights are important, it makes less and less sense as we have reached modern times to have such varying laws amongst certain topics. When it comes to making money (i.e. when states can make sales tax for online purchasers), they don't want a "competing" more relaxed law, but other things they don't care about.

While I'm certainly not saying it shouldn't be legal to be able to own a gun, the 2nd amendment as written centuries ago, has nothing to do with what we argue today. The second amendment had to do with resisting oppression, defending the country (it was a new country that just gained independence) and protecting liberty - it was about maintaining a militia because many did not approve of a standing army. Modern gun ownership has nothing to do with any of that.

Some of the things I've mentioned earlier just make no sense to oppose. It does nothing to take guns away from people or to even make it harder for someone who should legally be able to buy a gun, buy a gun.

Here's what irritates me, as a responsible gun owner and collector: these open carry advocates who go around brandishing AR15's just to show off their weapons. I think we should have the right to open carry even though I think it is stupid, as you simply make yourself the first target of a criminal. However, anyone who carries a concealed weapon knows that they don't want anyone to know that they have a weapon on them. Anti-gun people would be SHOCKED if they knew how many people walking around them have a handgun on them. If those people ever found themselves in an unfortunate situation where they needed to defend themselves or others, they have a HUGE advantage in the element of surprise. These people brandishing AR15's in public to make a point are not only hurting their right to open carry, they scare people and make them think that's how all gun owners act. They take advantage of honorable companies like Starbucks and Chipotle who follow local laws and don't outlaw guns in their businesses. When these people brandish their rifles in these businesses, they force the businesses' hand and then they bitch about it. There's a reason you usually see some 20 year old scrawny jackass doing this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT