ADVERTISEMENT

Fans

Sep 2, 2001
I was a freshman at Purdue on Aug. 1967 and graduated in Jan. 1972. I have been watching Purdue football since I was about 12 years old. Jack Mollenkoff (sp?) was the coach and he did a great job winning at Purdue. Since then, I watched a parade of coaches (Agase, Burnett, Young, Coletto, etc.) try their best, but some of them could not win-some did win. I think Purdue could have not got a better football coach than Brohm. We have to be patient, give him and his coaches time. The OL coach may not be the best or the players are not understanding what to do. Hazel was a nice man and did his best. Under Hazel, I think Purdue football was probably the worse team in the USA during those 4 years. No one can turn that kind of program around in 3 yrs.

Having graduated in 1966 and visiting Purdue for games previously to that from 1959 on when my older brother and sister attended, I am also a Purdue fan who loved the Mollenkopf years and Purdue's success. Being out of the country for 23 years I guess I luckily missed a lot of Purdue bad football, but am presently thrilled with Brohm as coach. He's had a lot more to do than just field a winning team, like immediately returning fans to the stands and providing an interesting watchable product while increasing Purdue fan support, interest and contributions. This was not necessarily entirely compatible with fielding a winning team this year especially with injuries, but I believe this to be a minor aberration in the overall continuous improvement of the team toward where we can compete for meaningful titles and bowl games. I am thankful for Brohm and the hope that he has given for Purdue football and making me once again an avid fan.

I was a freshman at Purdue on Aug. 1967 and graduated in Jan. 1972. I have been watching Purdue football since I was about 12 years old. Jack Mollenkoff (sp?) was the coach and he did a great job winning at Purdue. Since then, I watched a parade of coaches (Agase, Burnett, Young, Coletto, etc.) try their best, but some of them could not win-some did win. I think Purdue could have not got a better football coach than Brohm. We have to be patient, give him and his coaches time. The OL coach may not be the best or the players are not understanding what to do. Hazel was a nice man and did his best. Under Hazel, I think Purdue football was probably the worse team in the USA during those 4 years. No one can turn that kind of program around in 3 yrs.

Young was not a bad coach,you must have ment Akers.I liked Burnett,he needed a better staff to keep his job.Hazel was not a collage coach more like a junior high if that.

Young was not a bad coach,you must have ment Akers.I liked Burnett,he needed a better staff to keep his job.Hazel was not a collage coach more like a junior high if that.

Burtnett was another example of a great coordinator, but a poor HC. He was never going to show long term success at the D1 level, IMHO.

Fred Akers was a bad hire. (Les Miles would have been Fred Akers, part deux.)

Not sure if you think Hazell is truly that bad, or another manifestation of the unbridled hatred on this forum. No way DH has the kind of resume' he has with junior high coaching skills. That's just dumb. I get it... he was a massive failure as Purdue's HC, but for the love of G-d, let it go.

Reactions: Inspector100

You didn’t give an argument as to why Purdue could have done better than Brohm .. you just said it like I’m supposed to clap my hands and go “well you guys heard it here first. Sounds like Brohm is bullshit.”

Brohm would do well to study Mollenkoffs teams He had great defenses and a great won and loss record.

I was a freshman in 1959 and the student body did not appreciate Jack as 1 of our cheers when we were losing was Fire Fat Jack. We didn't know what we had until he retired as we were in or close to the top 25 almost always

Reactions: phila and SKYDOG
I was a frosh in 2008 and graduated in 2014 with drgrees in chem, management and engineering. Headed back there for grad school next year (engineering masters and mba). Woot!!!

ADVERTISEMENT