ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion rumors again - Big 12

BoilerBiker

All-American
Oct 13, 2006
possibly memphis & cincinnati.
sort of makes sense geographically i guess to help out west virginia, and add some 'markets'.

if the power 5 ever separate and give the finger to the ncaa finally, can we just start all over and truly have football only conferences/divisions, and then reset all former conferences back to original form for all other sports?!

didn't mind it too much at first, but now even high schools are going crazy with switching conferences.

rumors

This post was edited on 12/6 2:29 PM by SunnyFL24

Originally posted by SunnyFL24:
No way the BIG is looking at those two schools. Doesn't fir the conf academically. Ga. Tech and VA are the two in the rumor mill.

Cincy's academics have improved considerably. I think they out rank a couple current B1G schools.

However, no way OSU would let in another Ohio school.

As for the big 12, they need 2 more so they can have a championship game. Lack of one might hurt tcu or Baylor
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BoilerBiker:
sort of makes sense geographically i guess to help out west virginia, and add some 'markets'.

if the power 5 ever separate and give the finger to the ncaa finally, can we just start all over and truly have football only conferences/divisions, and then reset all former conferences back to original form for all other sports?!

didn't mind it too much at first, but now even high schools are going crazy with switching conferences.
would be great for Cincy and Memphis, but i see absolutely nothing in it for other B12 schools.

Would improve the B12 instantly in Basketball, as for football not nearly as much. Cincinnati is doing a massive renovation to Nippert Stadium in the heart of campus. Capacity will be just over 40,000 which is small but it's a pretty neat setting for a game. Being from the Cincinnati area would love to see it happen for the Bearcats.

Originally posted by OhioBoiler3:
Would improve the B12 instantly in Basketball, as for football not nearly as much. Cincinnati is doing a massive renovation to Nippert Stadium in the heart of campus. Capacity will be just over 40,000 which is small but it's a pretty neat setting for a game. Being from the Cincinnati area would love to see it happen for the Bearcats.

Cincy native here too

Originally posted by i'vegotwinners:
Originally posted by BoilerBiker:

would be great for Cincy and Memphis, but i see absolutely nothing in it for other B12 schools.
Yea, you split the pie 2 more ways without growing it enough to offset it. Plus I'd say if they expanded BYU and Cincy would make the most sense. Memphis has been awful at football forever.

If expanding back to 12 was the goal after losing A&M and Neb, and if they really thought adding WVU was the answer with the long distance being made up for by adding a quality football program, they should have invited Cincy and Louisville then, to give then some contiguous neighbors. Texas being a bully, is probably what kept out Louisville, a decision that looked dumber every year thereafter.

If tcu and Baylor don't get selected for the final four now, the big 12 will be adding 2 schools asap I bet (whichever ones they end up being)

Texas is what kept out other teams since the conference caved to them to keep texas from going independent (remember when the longhorn network was going to transform everything).

SMU makes sense but it's tcu that doesn't want to compete against them openly for recruits (if you've ever visited both schools you'd know).

This geographic expansion is getting ridiculous but its reality now

Does SMU have a killer campus or something? I saw TCU's when I stayed at a friends in Ft Worth when we were down their for the Heart of Dallas Bowl, the stadium was kind of cool, and was surrounded by a nice setting, but on my quick drive through not a whole lot else sticks out about campus.

If they really are seeking 12 teams soon, I think they would be absolutely nuts to not try to make it work with BYU, brings in a new state market with a very good fanbase and somewhat of a national audience. I would pursue they and Cincy, who has long shown to be a solid consistent program.

Memphis may have just had a decent season and UCF has been solid for several years, but I'd pass on them.

I know they like the cash they are not having to share while being independent, but with the CFP hear to stay (and surely jumping to 8 teams within the next decade) they have virtually no access to getting into the postseason party now, and I'd think would want to join a conference so they could.

This post was edited on 12/8 11:31 AM by JHetfield99

Big Mistake....

Sorry, but the last things the Big needs is more schools. Rutgers and Maryland were a mistake and I see no need to continue to compound the mistake!

Hetfield, I am admittedly biased on this but SMU has a much better campus and is a lot better college regionally if someone really wants a career.

That said the administration there is a somewhat similar to Burke, they don't prioritize football and want to seem above it all so as to avoid committing the resources to be successful. Sorority girls, college life, Dallas all of those things favor SMU. Think of why they used to dominate the Southwestern Conference (everyone cheated so it isn't that easy).

You do not see Tony Romo at TCU games.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT