ADVERTISEMENT

exhibition game today

Hardin hits back to back 3's to get Purdue back in it. Down 23-22 with 7:58 left in the 2nd.

Ava Learn has made 3 nice passes leading to buckets. Petree is better defensively than I was expecting. Hardin has made another 3. Petree has made a couple also. Purdue up 41-33 2:58 in the 2nd

That was a tough first quarter to get through for both teams…. But second quarter shooting improved

Reactions: Russ Ford
Purdue up 48-40 at the half. Caitlyn Harper leads Purdue in scoring with 12 points. Young lady by the name of Hurd I think has 15 points for the visitors. Madison Layden still playing a ton of minutes. I was hoping she would be able gets some breaks this year with the increased depth. But not so far. Haven't seen any of the Freshmen at all yet. (Potts, Stoddard, Holzer and Rudini)

Purdue up 63-42 4:12 in the 3rd. Harper has 19 now I think. Jayla Smith is approaching double figures. Petree has made a couple more nice defensive plays. I like her game. Layden playing a lot of point. Ellis not playing much for some reason.

Purdue up 73-49 after 3. After a slow 1st quarter.....Purdue scores 34 in the 2nd and 25 in the 3rd. Harper still leads with 22 now. Stoddard runs like a deer.....man she has long legs. Good looking athlete.

Purdue’s two transfers looking pretty good this game. Whole team is making their shots at the foul line. That’s always comforting. Finish strong now Ladies…

79-53 7:45 in the 4th. Petree now has 14 points. She just tied up another Purdue Northwest player. She gets her hands on a lot of balls.

Reactions: BoilerGal74
Purdue up 86-58 with 4:43 left. I would like to see the Freshmen get back in.

Stoddard has a nice stroke from the line. She made both and has 4 points now.

My thoughts. Petree was a huge off-season get for us. Like I figured, her length and defensive prowess out on the perimeter is really going to help our post defense as it’s going to be harder for guards to feed the post. Harper was also a good get as well. She doesn’t offer much in terms of vertical athleticism, but she is an experienced, skilled post player who will be able to start us out strong before being relieved by woltman. She also has a perimeter shot that she didn’t show this game but I think will in the future. Athletic teams will really bother us as will athletic post players, that’s not any surprise. We will need to shoot well, and I think we can, to win games in the big ten. Freshmen are work in progress. Stoddard has major potential but will have to get stronger. Potts just doesn’t seem comfortable with her role in the system yet and with our amount of experienced guards i don’t see her playing much at all. Our overall depth is much better than last year but we really can’t afford to have any injuries in the post. We can 20+ games with the combination of Harper and woltman. We are just a more fluid machine with Learn out there, she doesn’t do anything great but she does everything well, the ultimate glue player. Ellis looked like she hurt her shoulder so she only played a few minutes, no need to have her in during these games but she looks like she’ll deliver much of the same she did last year. Layden is just solid in all respects of the game. Smith looks more comfortable out there and really shines defensively and gives us a much need athleticism boost in the backcourt but still doesn’t have a reliable outside shot it seems, which will continue to limit her. Overall after the horrid 1st quarter where I thought SV was still here, it was a solid tune up. Purdue NW is a pretty good team, their leading scorer used to be a D1 player at Milwaukee. On to the next.

Last edited:
I think Addison Potts was just extremely nervous. Then on her first possession she got stripped. On her second, she stuck out a chicken wing on the drive and got caught. On her 3rd she stepped back and out of bounds before starting her drive. I expect we'll see different results the next time she plays. I think she'll get more and more minutes as the season unfolds.

This is how my mind works I'm already thinking about the starting 5 for next season. And I think Stoddard and Potts will be starters along with Smith, Madison, and Learn. Of course, the transfer portal could be a factor. But if the talent level and depth keep steadily improving as it was obvious yesterday it has this season over last season, the future is looking brighter. Harper is a vast improvement in the post. She's a solid 15 ppg center that they haven't had in a while. Stoddard just looks the part physically, she could be special down the road. I think Petree is a huge addition as others have already noted. She's a real defensive force that they haven't had in ages in this program and just played an all-around great game. She's indispensable. Madison Layden is just solid, nothing really fancy, she's just really solid, great basketball IQ, if she can rain 3's all season, and score 15 or so ppg it may be hard to beat this team, I would love to see her really break out this season. Jayla Smith seems bigger and stronger this season, again just a really athletic player... when I watch her I see a UConn-level body and athleticism that just needs to develop a truly lethal jump shot but she has the potential to be special for sure. Looking for a huge season from her. Learn as someone else put it is a "glue" type player with some skills and height and always seems to impress. I was really impressed by Cassidy Hardin yesterday...she's a 5th year senior and she's going to really contribute this season in this her farewell year, she too seems improved IMHO, and if she gets hot and rains 3's and plays suffocating defense like she did yesterday afternoon in stretches and stays healthy? wow.. what a final season at Purdue she could have. I Hope Ellis is ok... she will be missed if her shoulder issue means missing some time, but it probably means more pt for Jayla and maybe Potts, but Ellis is a force on the floor, her passing and creating off the dribble and her 85% free throw shooting, etc, and she seems to be the quickest player on the team... her speed and quickness and experience as another vital senior guard are great assets. And finally, Terry was really solid as well, another senior who I hope has a career season. It's a deeper, more talented team overall than last season, so 20 + wins is very doable this season IMHO barring catastrophic injuries. It's another step in the right direction for this program, and I liked what I saw yesterday. Boiler Up. Glad the season has started.

I think Addison Potts was just extremely nervous. Then on her first possession she got stripped. On her second, she stuck out a chicken wing on the drive and got caught. On her 3rd she stepped back and out of bounds before starting her drive. I expect we'll see different results the next time she plays. I think she'll get more and more minutes as the season unfolds.
Surprising to me in view of all the games and honors she garnered in Florida. But college is always a jump.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
This is how my mind works I'm already thinking about the starting 5 for next season. And I think Stoddard and Potts will be starters along with Smith, Madison, and Learn. Of course, the transfer portal could be a factor. But if the talent level and depth keep steadily improving as it was obvious yesterday it has this season over last season, the future is looking brighter. Harper is a vast improvement in the post. She's a solid 15 ppg center that they haven't had in a while. Stoddard just looks the part physically, she could be special down the road. I think Petree is a huge addition as others have already noted. She's a real defensive force that they haven't had in ages in this program and just played an all-around great game. She's indispensable. Madison Layden is just solid, nothing really fancy, she's just really solid, great basketball IQ, if she can rain 3's all season, and score 15 or so ppg it may be hard to beat this team, I would love to see her really break out this season. Jayla Smith seems bigger and stronger this season, again just a really athletic player... when I watch her I see a UConn-level body and athleticism that just needs to develop a truly lethal jump shot but she has the potential to be special for sure. Looking for a huge season from her. Learn as someone else put it is a "glue" type player with some skills and height and always seems to impress. I was really impressed by Cassidy Hardin yesterday...she's a 5th year senior and she's going to really contribute this season in this her farewell year, she too seems improved IMHO, and if she gets hot and rains 3's and plays suffocating defense like she did yesterday afternoon in stretches and stays healthy? wow.. what a final season at Purdue she could have. I Hope Ellis is ok... she will be missed if her shoulder issue means missing some time, but it probably means more pt for Jayla and maybe Potts, but Ellis is a force on the floor, her passing and creating off the dribble and her 85% free throw shooting, etc, and she seems to be the quickest player on the team... her speed and quickness and experience as another vital senior guard are great assets. And finally, Terry was really solid as well, another senior who I hope has a career season. It's a deeper, more talented team overall than last season, so 20 + wins is very doable this season IMHO barring catastrophic injuries. It's another step in the right direction for this program, and I liked what I saw yesterday. Boiler Up. Glad the season has started.
Good analysis. Have not watched the whole game yet but I will today. In the first Q I saw Smith making the same careless TO’s (2). Sigh. (But apparently, looking at the box score, that was it for the game.)

Yes, losing Ellis for any length of time would be very detrimental. But better now than in the B1G season. Hopefully she will be back long before that.

Really good breakdown! I think the starting five projection might change with the new recruit class CKG has been very high on. And I'm pretty sure Woltman, Harper, Terry and Ellis can all come back next year.

But I think we're all ready to watch this team compete this year!

Really good breakdown! I think the starting five projection might change with the new recruit class CKG has been very high on. And I'm pretty sure Woltman, Harper, Terry and Ellis can all come back next year.

But I think we're all ready to watch this team compete this year!
I believe all 4 can return, maybe Ellis and Harper come back, I doubt all 4 do.

Come on Michael, I know you are out there lurking. I'm always interested in your opinion.....I just wish you could see the bright side sometimes. Lol.

Reactions: DocRon
Come on Michael, I know you are out there lurking. I'm always interested in your opinion.....I just wish you could see the bright side sometimes. Lol.
This game means no more than the game against Marquette, and only making predictions off of one shows much more wishful thinking than rational thought IMHO. With the very weak preseason schedule, we won't really know how good this team is until mid to late January, but I'm hopeful for a top 6 BT finish and a 9 or 10 seed in the NCAAs, but expecting similar finish to last year in conference and wnit. Been on vacation and decided to let the crazed optimists run amok as they weren't going to listen to any reasonable predictions right now anyway. 😋

Last edited:
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT