ex-Purdue players in the NFL

boilerman101

True Freshman
Nov 11, 2011
I was curious how many Purdue guys are currently in the
NFL, and came across an interesting website: ourlads.com
Purdue in the NFL:

That site also has NFL & CFB depth charts. It has David Bell
starting at SWR alongside Amari Cooper at LWR & Peoples-Jones at RWR for the Browns.
#18 David Bell's contract:

I had no idea Zander Horvath was doing so well with the
Chargers. They have him listed as their 1st string FB.
#45 Zander Horvath's contract:

Looks like George Karlaftis is off to a good start in KC.
#56 George Karlaftis contract:

Go Boilers! Boiler Up! Penn St goin down in a "Sea of Black", on the 1st!

Last edited:
I've been using that site to look at depth charts for Fantasy research. I haven't heard anything more than that about Horvath, but if you can believe that, then you have to figure he makes the team if they simply choose to keep a FB, which not all teams do these days.

Bell had 3 for 36 last night against the Bears. I think he had similar #s in their previous game. Listed as the #3 WR for what that's worth, which is great.

GK will be solid.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Horvath making almost $1M/yr on a 4 yr deal. That's pretty great for a FB in today's NFL. He's certainly not going to make many highlight reels but he might be able to get that tough yard or 2 when needed. He's got decent hands so could be used at a pass catching FB on screens, etc.

I've been trying to keep up with Horvath and it appears he is locked in as the teams FB.

David Blough hasn't had the best preseason and a lot of fans are calling for both he and Tim Boyle's heads. Not sure if Blough will still be a Lion come tmr at the deadline.

Horvath making almost $1M/yr on a 4 yr deal. That's pretty great for a FB in today's NFL. He's certainly not going to make many highlight reels but he might be able to get that tough yard or 2 when needed. He's got decent hands so could be used at a pass catching FB on screens, etc.

He could make the highlight reel by hurdling a tackler.

Reactions: krf3632
I've been trying to keep up with Horvath and it appears he is locked in as the teams FB.

David Blough hasn't had the best preseason and a lot of fans are calling for both he and Tim Boyle's heads. Not sure if Blough will still be a Lion come tmr at the deadline.
The Athletic is projecting him to make the team, but it sounds like that's based on reputation more than anything else.

The Athletic is projecting him to make the team, but it sounds like that's based on reputation more than anything else.
It'll probably be a few more days before we know about Blough. With Boyle gone he's the #2 for now. But, it's clear Dan Campbell still has reservations. He was candid about the team looking around to see who's available after final cuts. Blough knows the system and the players, and Campbell said it would have to be a clear upgrade and obviously someone the Lions could fit within their cap. So, we'll see. I'm sure it's going to be a tough week for David.

FWIW, Blough sounded like a man resigned to his fate after the Steelers game. I don't know that those comments necessarily helped his cause.

It'll probably be a few more days before we know about Blough. With Boyle gone he's the #2 for now. But, it's clear Dan Campbell still has reservations. He was candid about the team looking around to see who's available after final cuts. Blough knows the system and the players, and Campbell said it would have to be a clear upgrade and obviously someone the Lions could fit within their cap. So, we'll see. I'm sure it's going to be a tough week for David.

FWIW, Blough sounded like a man resigned to his fate after the Steelers game. I don't know that those comments necessarily helped his cause.

I watched the 4th Q of the Lions/Steelers game last weekend. Blough's WRs weren't helping him at all. They dropped two well thrown balls, both of which should have been TDs if caught. That's on the WR, not Blough.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I watched some of the first half of the Lions/Steelers game. I didnt think that Blough did a very good job, but whenever there was a big play for Detroit, it was called back usually for holding. Kind of hard to move the ball if your team is being penalized, but perhaps that was why they were big plays. And having to move the ball frequently 15 yards or so for a first down certainly didn't help along with not making a first down 4th and less than a yard. Poor play by the rest of the team certainly didn't help him.

Tyler Coyle cut by dallas
Etling cut by GB
Steinmetz cut by KC

Purdue could use a guy like Zander Horvath to show up on campus every 2-3 years. (That way one would be ready to break into the line up about the time one graduates)

Blough was just waived. Could find himself on a practice squad pretty quickly though, which still pays handsomely.

Blough was just waived. Could find himself on a practice squad pretty quickly though, which still pays handsomely.
Tough break, and sucks to lose out to an IU guy. But Campbell clearly wasn't convinced by either of his backup quarterbacks. I read somewhere that Detroit has started a backup qb 11 times in the past three seasons and is 0-11 in those games. Blough himself is 0-5, I believe. I'm sure it's not all his fault. Looks like they will resign him to the practice squad. Not sure how attractive he'd be to other teams at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT