ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Boudreaux Should Start

He should start. Let's get our best 5 players out there at the start of the game.
It's a long game and a long season. Developing roles is much more important than worrying about who starts. Evan has starter's stats, which is a killer for opponents when he comes off the bench. Purdue's duo of centers is dominating with scoring and rebounds.

The issue is the substitution patterns would be thrown out of whack.

You’d likely have to sub Haarms out first with Grady and slide EB to the 5. Then the question become when does Wheeler sub in? Your hypothetical would actually reduce Wheeler’s minutes unless you are advocating for Grady to slide all the way to the third option at the 4.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I am not too worried about it this early in the season. Grady has been pretty solid. It is not like Evan is not getting significant minutes. Is it just me or do we seem to be improving every game so far? I like how we are playing. If we can keep improving like we are we should be really tough by tourney time when it matters most! Boiler Up!

Armchair coaching ugh. We are only 3 games into the season. If EB starts who's going to sub in for Haarms? I don't think Tre is ready for that yet. Then you end up with your 2 big men on the bench at the same time. Maybe next year when Dow and Tre are ready for those rolls

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
Armchair coaching ugh. We are only 3 games into the season. If EB starts who's going to sub in for Haarms? I don't think Tre is ready for that yet. Then you end up with your 2 big men on the bench at the same time. Maybe next year when Dow and Tre are ready for those rolls
Have wheeler sub in and move Boudreaux to the 5

The issue is the substitution patterns would be thrown out of whack.

You’d likely have to sub Haarms out first with Grady and slide EB to the 5. Then the question become when does Wheeler sub in? Your hypothetical would actually reduce Wheeler’s minutes unless you are advocating for Grady to slide all the way to the third option at the 4.
I think this is the real answer. None of us sees how the team practices, so we don't see who plays best in their role. When Wheeler outplays Eifert in practice, he'll start. And with Purdue dominating opponents with their aggressive team play, the substitution pattern is playing a big role in that.

I dont see what Wheeler brings that Grady can't do. Grady is the better rebounder and they are both so-so from 3. Neither are good inside the paint.

I think this is the real answer. None of us sees how the team practices, so we don't see who plays best in their role. When Wheeler outplays Eifert in practice, he'll start. And with Purdue dominating opponents with their aggressive team play, the substitution pattern is playing a big role in that.
I am one who thinks the best lineup for Purdue would actually have EB and Haarms playing an interchangeable 4 and 5 WHICH may end up occurring in late stages of games if both are not in foul trouble. A lot of it truly depends on the ability of the bigs to possibly play for 6-8 consistent minutes for it to work and CMP has rarely been comfortable doing that with bugs.

Just like Holt has said with Neal this year at DT...he would be a better player at 50 snaps BUT he had to play him 70 snaps at times bc there just isn’t anyone behind him. You’d like to go Haarms/EB at the 4/5 but there just isn’t another solid post option at this point

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Start Luce!!!! :)

IMO...Coach has things under control. I did say earlier that I would like to see Tre get minutes in these blowouts....and he did the other night. So all good.

I like having quality players coming off the bench. Evan is probably better than Grady, but he adds leadership to the second team. Last year I proposed starting Nojel with the other experienced seniors and bringing in Pj as a 6th man to lead the second unit. I'd still like to see Wheeler as a 3 and not a 4. However for that to happen, he has to improve his outside game. I'm just not enthused at seeing Wheeler as a 4. That was why I was so hoping that Tre and Dow would have been ready to be immediate contributors as freshmen much like Swanigan was.

He doesn't need to start but he needs to play minutes with Haarms, there is no reason he and Haarms should be playing less than 20 minutes a game

ADVERTISEMENT