ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN rates Anthony Mahoungou as our 2nd best recruit

BigTimeAt69

All-American
Nov 27, 2005
Westfield
Just noticed it and thought that was interesting. This is their scouting report on him. He's rated a 79. One below Sindelar and one above Wyatt Cook.

Rated #9 JUCO WR

STRENGTHS: Possesses great size and a wide catch radius -- uses his frame well and has a powerful stride off the line to strain the defense. Straight-line speed and burst are very good given his measurables. Can take the top off the defense with size/speed combo. Can be tough to tackle after the catch, but is straight-lined for the most part... AREAS OF IMPROVEMENT: Speed is good, not great. Limited RAC with average suddenness to make people miss. Is at his best on underneath and deep routes where he can use his size. Must develop a route tree and a greater feel for coverage... BOTTOM LINE: Mahoungou is a very good player that should have an early role, especially as a jump ball guy. He could be a guy that works out of the slot to work against zone coverage. His size is his greatest asset and he catches the ball very well in a crowd.
This post was edited on 12/9 12:35 PM by BigTimeAt69

A lot of JUCOs go evaluated unless they are great, or actually commit somewhere it seems like

Still love his size, and that he is newish to the game

Re: Here is the staff' big chance....

to actually coach someone up. Hope we are up to the task.

Read in the paper he is from Paris, France?

I see a guy like Jean Girard in "Talladega Nights." Smoking underhand in team meetings. Interesting recruit.

Forgive me if I'm not reading the context right, but have you looked at our recruiting class? It wouldn't take a whole lot to be one of our top 3 recruits right now.

Originally posted by pboiler18:
Yeah man, getting the Gatorade POY in Indiana and Kentucky REALLY sucks!
This, + that he is a 79 or 1 point off from a 4 star which is the magic number of stars for guys like him

Yeah man, getting the Gatorade POY in Indiana and Kentucky REALLY sucks!

You realize that award has little value when projecting college production right? Travis Carroll won it for basketball
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You also realize it means he was a good high school football player right?

That's a good first step to be a contributor at the college level...

You also realize it means he was a good high school football player right?

That's a good first step to be a contributor at the college level...

Of course it does. However, plenty of good hs players have gone on to struggle in college. Not saying they will
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Jones had great numbers but the big boys were not interested. We were the only Big Ten offer; even IU did not throw an offer his way. Glad we have him, but I doubt he sees the field for a while. Kind of a lifetime achievement award- 3 solid years. The kid from KY just tore an ACL so it will be 2 years before he could see the field anyway. Then Shoop will do his magic and he will be unable to throw the ball 8 yards down field. Neither guy is immediate impact. Agree with nat.

Originally posted by RegionWarrior101:

Jones had great numbers but the big boys were not interested. We were the only Big Ten offer; even IU did not throw an offer his way. Glad we have him, but I doubt he sees the field for a while. Kind of a lifetime achievement award- 3 solid years. The kid from KY just tore an ACL so it will be 2 years before he could see the field anyway. Then Shoop will do his magic and he will be unable to throw the ball 8 yards down field. Neither guy is immediate impact. Agree with nat. Just stop your annoying

When are Purdue fans going to learn that DEPTH matters in football recruiting?

Having 1 "near" 4 star is not the answer?

Purdue's current recruiting class has 21 recruits, 10 of which are 2 stars (nearly 50%). This recruiting class is NO different than any of Danny Hope's recruiting classes right now. You can play the diamond in the rough card all you'd like.

Our class is ranked 12th right now in the Big Ten. IU is behind us - but they only have 10 commits right now and 9 of them are 3 stars. Michigan is also behind us - they have 6 recruits, 4 of which are 4 stars. So as soon as they hire a coach and snag a few more, they'll be well above us.

So count him as a 4 star if you'd like, I don't care. That's not the problem. The problem is that the depth of our recruiting classes is weak. We got 4 stars under Danny Hope too, but it doesn't mean anything if the talent trails off quickly and you have no depth.

Originally posted by lbodel:
When are Purdue fans going to learn that DEPTH matters in football recruiting?

Having 1 "near" 4 star is not the answer?

Purdue's current recruiting class has 21 recruits, 10 of which are 2 stars (nearly 50%). This recruiting class is NO different than any of Danny Hope's recruiting classes right now. You can play the diamond in the rough card all you'd like.

Our class is ranked 12th right now in the Big Ten. IU is behind us - but they only have 10 commits right now and 9 of them are 3 stars. Michigan is also behind us - they have 6 recruits, 4 of which are 4 stars. So as soon as they hire a coach and snag a few more, they'll be well above us.

So count him as a 4 star if you'd like, I don't care. That's not the problem. The problem is that the depth of our recruiting classes is weak. We got 4 stars under Danny Hope too, but it doesn't mean anything if the talent trails off quickly and you have no depth.
This has been a problem since about 2006 with our recruiting classes....so it hasn't just been one coach.

All I was doing was focusing on people shitting on our top 2 recruits. That's all. Just defending them.

They are good players.

The idiot who thinks Jones is just getting a lifetime achievement offer is the biggest idiot of them all. Say what you want about the coaches. Don't shit on the players. Thanks. No matter if you think they will win the Heisman or not, both are solid D1 players and recruits.

I didn't say the offer was lifetime achievement....

I think Purdue should offer Mr. Football. I have no problem with the offer, but you are mistaken if you think they will have an immediate impact. No other Big Ten team was interested. Hey, I hope it drives him like Aaron Rodgers but we will see.

For the record I said the Gatorade Player of the Year Award is an achievement award... It does not go to necessarily the most talented player. Sammy Mireles the kid who won it in Indiana in 2013 is not even playing college football! That is what I said and stand by it.

I hear you, I'm not "shitting" on them and they're fine to have as recruits.

However, I think you could make the argument they aren't "premiere" type of recruits that should highlight your class. But me, personally, I am much more concerned about depth. I think the premiere recruits are a "second stage" to recruiting. Get a solid class first. Like I said, with Hope we had some 4 star good recruits, but they were accompanied by a bunch of players who aren't Big Ten talent. So just getting a few higher profile recruits alone isn't going to necessarily do what needs to be done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT