ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN’s lead story on Brees

My little Drew Brees story...

Having followed Drew from afar (living in AZ), I was always blowing to my two boys about how great Drew was at Purdue - and of course - like their dad, they watched all the Purdue games we could get on TV. So they were already well established in one of the front rows of the Drew Brees Bandwagon when he was drafted by San Diego. Now, since we knew the Chargers were going to play the AZ Cardinals on the last preseason game of the 2001 season, the boys pretty much begged me to get tickets to the game - which was then held at Sun Devil Stadium on ASU's campus. Of course, I had to oblige and even got a ticket for my wife, who normally does not care a whit about sports - unless one of our boys is involved.

So during the two hour drive down from Sedona, where we lived at the time, the boys were chirping constantly about how they hoped they could meet Drew at some point. Being the realistic dad I was, I tried to gently tamp down their expectations by telling them it would not likely happen. But also being the dad (and fan) I am, I felt it was worth the old college try.

So during the game - which was sparsely attended - my boys and I would constantly wander through the lower stands trying to get close to Drew - who was pretty much a fixture on the bench back then. After several attempts to scream our lungs out trying to get his attention, Drew finally heard us and turned and waved. When we tried to get him to come over, he mouthed that he couldn't during the game and gave us another wave.

Undaunted, just before halftime, my boys and I relocated to a spot just above the tunnel where the players were heading to the locker rooms and started yelling again as Drew approached. Being in the middle of a crowd of players from both teams, Drew again heard us but shrugged his shoulders and shouted back, "Sorry! Can't get over there." Well, by now, I was happy that Drew had acknowledged us and was ready to go settle into our seats for the second half, hoping to see Drew hit the field. But my boys were not ready to quit. However, I finally got them to settle down and watch the rest of the game in relative peace.

Yet once the game was over, and we were on our way out of the stadium to the parking lot, one of my boys noticed the Chargers' team bus around the corner, but about 100 feet behind the fence. So of course, the boys convinced me and my wife to go stand at the fence closest to the bus and see if we could see Drew getting aboard. Well, of course, we did. And if any family were ever capable of raising a racket, it was ours on that day. As Drew walked along the side of the bus, all of us, even my wife, began shouting at Drew. 100 feet was no match for the noise we made and Drew had to look over and wave, yet again. And as he started to step up into the bus, he kept looking at us and appeared to recognize us as the crazies who had kept after him during the game.

With apologies, he stepped back down and cut through his teammates and jogged over to where we were standing at the fence and greeted us with the most sincere and genuinely appreciative manner one could ever expect. He signed our program and chatted with the boys for almost 5 minutes as they recounted many of his heroics at Purdue, until someone from the bus called him over. He reached through the fence and shook all of our hands and wished us the best and, as he jogged back to the bus, looked over his shoulder and shouted, "Boiler up!" A true Boiler, indeed.

At that moment in time, there was not a soul in the entire universe who could have ever convinced either of my sons that Drew Brees, having yet to play a single regular season NFL game, would not eventually become the greatest quarterback of all time.

P.S. - I would post a picture of the program he signed, but I would be risking my life to pry it away from whichever of my two adult sons now has it in his possession...

Neat story. I'm guessing there are a million of these and will be another million in the future. Thanks for sharing.

My little Drew Brees story...

Having followed Drew from afar (living in AZ), I was always blowing to my two boys about how great Drew was at Purdue - and of course - like their dad, they watched all the Purdue games we could get on TV. So they were already well established in one of the front rows of the Drew Brees Bandwagon when he was drafted by San Diego. Now, since we knew the Chargers were going to play the AZ Cardinals on the last preseason game of the 2001 season, the boys pretty much begged me to get tickets to the game - which was then held at Sun Devil Stadium on ASU's campus. Of course, I had to oblige and even got a ticket for my wife, who normally does not care a whit about sports - unless one of our boys is involved.

So during the two hour drive down from Sedona, where we lived at the time, the boys were chirping constantly about how they hoped they could meet Drew at some point. Being the realistic dad I was, I tried to gently tamp down their expectations by telling them it would not likely happen. But also being the dad (and fan) I am, I felt it was worth the old college try.

So during the game - which was sparsely attended - my boys and I would constantly wander through the lower stands trying to get close to Drew - who was pretty much a fixture on the bench back then. After several attempts to scream our lungs out trying to get his attention, Drew finally heard us and turned and waved. When we tried to get him to come over, he mouthed that he couldn't during the game and gave us another wave.

Undaunted, just before halftime, my boys and I relocated to a spot just above the tunnel where the players were heading to the locker rooms and started yelling again as Drew approached. Being in the middle of a crowd of players from both teams, Drew again heard us but shrugged his shoulders and shouted back, "Sorry! Can't get over there." Well, by now, I was happy that Drew had acknowledged us and was ready to go settle into our seats for the second half, hoping to see Drew hit the field. But my boys were not ready to quit. However, I finally got them to settle down and watch the rest of the game in relative peace.

Yet once the game was over, and we were on our way out of the stadium to the parking lot, one of my boys noticed the Chargers' team bus around the corner, but about 100 feet behind the fence. So of course, the boys convinced me and my wife to go stand at the fence closest to the bus and see if we could see Drew getting aboard. Well, of course, we did. And if any family were ever capable of raising a racket, it was ours on that day. As Drew walked along the side of the bus, all of us, even my wife, began shouting at Drew. 100 feet was no match for the noise we made and Drew had to look over and wave, yet again. And as he started to step up into the bus, he kept looking at us and appeared to recognize us as the crazies who had kept after him during the game.

With apologies, he stepped back down and cut through his teammates and jogged over to where we were standing at the fence and greeted us with the most sincere and genuinely appreciative manner one could ever expect. He signed our program and chatted with the boys for almost 5 minutes as they recounted many of his heroics at Purdue, until someone from the bus called him over. He reached through the fence and shook all of our hands and wished us the best and, as he jogged back to the bus, looked over his shoulder and shouted, "Boiler up!" A true Boiler, indeed.

At that moment in time, there was not a soul in the entire universe who could have ever convinced either of my sons that Drew Brees, having yet to play a single regular season NFL game, would not eventually become the greatest quarterback of all time.

P.S. - I would post a picture of the program he signed, but I would be risking my life to pry it away from whichever of my two adult sons now has it in his possession...

Oh Robert, you have been missed as you have flitted into our lives like a 17 year locust. The boy from Wilmington with more pen names than Des needs to take up permanent residence at GBI.

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
Bob, I live in AZ too, but worked near campus at a restaurant that Drew came in allot so i got to know him. (I left shortly after he became pro), great guy and we often talked sports as he is a huge sports fan like all of us. So my story is funny, but makes me look like an idiot.

So one day before the combine, we were talking sports like we had done a couple of dozen times before. Drew asked me "What do I think of his chances in the NFL?" I asked "Honestly?" He said "Of course"

My response was "I think you will become either a really good backup or a really poor starter" Well Drew didn't blink an eye except a bit of a smile at my response.

Now to my credit, Drews career is not over so I can prove to be correct yet, lol

Reactions: Bob Sienicki
We accosted Drew and Brittney after a Purdue game as they crossed Northwestern. He parked his car near my uncle’s house. He must have been exhausted having played and done all the post-game stuff. You would never know it, very gracious and provided a family memory that will last forever.

We accosted Drew and Brittney after a Purdue game as they crossed Northwestern. He parked his car near my uncle’s house. He must have been exhausted having played and done all the post-game stuff. You would never know it, very gracious and provided a family memory that will last forever.
Geaux Drew and get another ring, the whole team deserves it esp. after last year's debacle in Minny

images

Great story Bob! I'm looking to taking my son to a Saints game next year for his 16th birthday present. Even at 16, I'm sure he will be just the same as your boys were back then.

The nice thing is we have some options for next year. The Saints will play the Bears here in Chicago. Also the Colts in New Orleans. The wife is a huge Colts fan. She and I went down there 8 years ago during the Manning injured year and the Saints won something like 62-7. Hopefully the schedule for either of those games works in our favor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT