ADVERTISEMENT

Eron Hodges Tweet

I wonder who this is in reference to? O$U getting Young maybe. I would love to see us take James from their plate! Or maybe to Michigan for trying to poach Karlaftis. I would love to see us flip Herron.

So in reference to Dontay. I guess I kind of see this but O$U hasn't even offered the guy.

a variety of possible meanings. This may be the start of making the lies and actions made during recruiting wars - public.

Reactions: Frankie611
a variety of possible meanings. This may be the start of making the lies and actions made during recruiting wars - public.
Not sure I'd go that far but I heard that when we hired Eron Hodges away from OSU for a higher salary and a position w/greater responsibilities, it was because of his close relationships builtup with several 2019 and 2020 recruiting targets. Notably, D Bell. Hodges was critical in recruitment of Samson James before he left OSU too.

Not sure I'd go that far but I heard that when we hired Eron Hodges away from OSU for a higher salary and a position w/greater responsibilities, it was because of his close relationships builtup with several 2019 and 2020 recruiting targets. Notably, D Bell. Hodges was critical in recruitment of Samson James before he left OSU too.
‘‘Twas similar birds singing that song in my ear.

I' m wondering how any WR can expect to receive 13 touches per game? I guess that's supposed to include 4-5 running plays?

the average QB throws 20-25 passes a game. A passing oriented offense would throw 30-35 passes. I just can't see one receiver being targeted 13 times on the average. Especially on a good team that has other quality receivers.

I' m wondering how any WR can expect to receive 13 touches per game? I guess that's supposed to include 4-5 running plays?

the average QB throws 20-25 passes a game. A passing oriented offense would throw 30-35 passes. I just can't see one receiver being targeted 13 times on the average. Especially on a good team that has other quality receivers.

That's the whole point....the 13 touches per game is the lie that Hodges is referring to. Harbaugh will do or say just about anything to undermine another coach.

The # of transfers departing from UM tells a different story.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That's the whole point....the 13 touches per game is the lie that Hodges is referring to. Harbaugh will do or say just about anything to undermine another coach.

The # of transfers departing from UM tells a different story.

But if a guy like myself knows this and can see through the lies, are you going to tell me that football athletes and their parents actually believe these lies, and can't discern the truth from the lies?

then again, I still can't believe Young actually believes he'll be an outstanding LB at OSU when he's never played the position in his life.

Do players really believe these lies? has our society really become that stu ……… naïve and gullible ??

But if a guy like myself knows this and can see through the lies, are you going to tell me that football athletes and their parents actually believe these lies, and can't discern the truth from the lies?

then again, I still can't believe Young actually believes he'll be an outstanding LB at OSU when he's never played the position in his life.

Do players really believe these lies? has our society really become that stu ……… naïve and gullible ??

1. First of all, this is the telephone game. The number of touches may have been exaggerated, but it wouldn't surprise me that a coach truthfully tells him he'll try to get him a lot of touches.

2. Secondly, Harbaugh has a lot of equity built up in his name. He turned Stanford into a powerhouse, he went to the Super Bowl, his brother has won a Super Bowl, he's charismatic, he sits in great facilities in Michigan... it's not hard to believe him when he tells you something.

3. Players want to believe it. Most cited thing for recruits for picking a school is "They showed me the love". Part of that is saying "You're so fantastic we're going to give you X touches a game!" It sounds a lot better than "Come in here and work your tail off, and you'll see the field early."

4. If you're an elite athlete, you think you're the best. You have to think you're going to succeed at a position you've never played. That confidence is partly what makes these kids special.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Gilbert Gardner came to Purdue as WR.

Reactions: DannyGranger

Id be shocked if we didn't target Moore at least that much next year.

Same with Bell if he came here.

Id be shocked if we didn't target Moore at least that much next year.

Same with Bell if he came here.

I would be shocked with our other targets Anderson, Taylor and other returning receivers, if we targeted one receiver more than 10 times in one game.

Unlike other teams, we have more than just one weapon to use. and if we're in a blow-out situation, our starters will be watching from the sidelines. And if we have a lead late, we may run more.

and if we targeted Moore 13 times, after the first game, other defenses would be double teaming him, and it would be stupid to keep throwing into double coverage if a guy like Taylor or our TE or Jones or Wright is wide open.

I would hope Sindelar isn't the type of QB that locks onto one WR without scanning the field.

As a Packers fan, I'm used to having a QB use all of his weapons rather than just one.

Reactions: 72Boiler
I would be shocked with our other targets Anderson, Taylor and other returning receivers, if we targeted one receiver more than 10 times in one game.

Unlike other teams, we have more than just one weapon to use. and if we're in a blow-out situation, our starters will be watching from the sidelines. And if we have a lead late, we may run more.

and if we targeted Moore 13 times, after the first game, other defenses would be double teaming him, and it would be stupid to keep throwing into double coverage if a guy like Taylor or our TE or Jones or Wright is wide open.

I would hope Sindelar isn't the type of QB that locks onto one WR without scanning the field.

As a Packers fan, I'm used to having a QB use all of his weapons rather than just one.
And "using all his weapons" is exactly what makes Brohm's offense so effective, to begin with. And it's not just WR's but RB's, and TE's. I totally agree with Wolegib on this.

I have to believe our WRs, TEs, and RBs will all get their touches. but to promise somebody he'd get an "average" of 13 touches a game, even for a 5 star WR seems to me to be going overboard.

D.J. Moore was the top WR drafted in the NFL this past year. he caught 80 passes and rushed 5 times. he had one game where he caught more than 10 passes. And they lost that game to powerhouse Northwestern. that's an average of 7 per game. and he played on a team where the next best receiver had 47 catches, and third best had 13 catches.

Last year, Brohm's passing attack had 3 receivers with 40+ catches; 3 receivers with 20+ catches and 5 with 10 + catches. To me, that's a balanced attack. .

I guess Michigan plans on passing for 5,000 yards and only throwing to one guy?

I am not sure of the number of passes to Moore, but Brohm will be creating specific plays for just him. We have not had a player like him since Dorien Bryant. As I said on here many times, I have seen him play in person. He is going to be a playmaker for us.

Reactions: pboiler18
To put the 13 per game into some perspective I remember Chris Daniels. Chris Daniels 109 regular season receptions in 11 games was good for 8th best in NCAA history at that time (1999). After the Bowl game that year he finished with 121 receptions in 12 games. So 10 per game was record setting in our spread offense with a future NFL QB at the helm. 13 per game? Unless some of those touches are runs.... I think not.

I am not sure of the number of passes to Moore, but Brohm will be creating specific plays for just him. We have not had a player like him since Dorien Bryant. As I said on here many times, I have seen him play in person. He is going to be a playmaker for us.

that is something I can believe. and if I were Bell, or Young, I can believe Brohm would use their talents to their fullest. but to make wild ass promises, I think most recruits can see through that.

Drew Brees connected 21 times to Kris Daniels in one game for more than 300 yards and three touchdowns against a Nick Saban coached team.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
As good as UM's defense was last year, he might get 6-7 punt returns ?? On kickoff's only if UM wins the toss?

As good as UM's defense was last year, he might get 6-7 punt returns ?? On kickoff's only if UM wins the toss?

so are you trying to say Michigan told him he'd be the next Jabril Peppers, and he'd catch the ball 6-8 times, and run 3 punts and 2 kickoffs, and run the ball 3-5 times? for his 13 touches?

I can believe a WR may have 13-20 catches in one game. I can't believe a receiver would average 13 catches per game. And if he did average 13 catches as a freshman, what's he going to do as a sophomore? I can see a lot of defenses taking action to ensure that doesn't happen.

I'll throw out a basketball reference. pistol pete was a phenomenal basketball player. and his dad allowed him to do anything he wanted on the court. But the best his team ever finished was 4th place in the NIT.

You can't win as a one man team .

and I can't believe a coach would try to sell that or an athlete would believe the coach's promise.

I do not disagree. A well balanced attack is always preferred. I saw Earl Campbell rush 741 times in two seasons and I saw Earl Campbell’s career cut short as a result of overwork.

Reactions: jason96
Another Hodges tweet - gotta be Michigan, right?

I think folks on here who assume this is about Harbaugh are wrong. This is most likely about David Bell and Iowa. It has been stated the Bell is looking hard at Purdue and Iowa, among others. Iowa recruited Indiana hard (especially Indy metro areas) during the D-Haze years. It's quite likely that David Bell knows some of their players, including the DB Tracy, who went there last year.

I think folks on here who assume this is about Harbaugh are wrong. This is most likely about David Bell and Iowa. It has been stated the Bell is looking hard at Purdue and Iowa, among others. Iowa recruited Indiana hard (especially Indy metro areas) during the D-Haze years. It's quite likely that David Bell knows some of their players, including the DB Tracy, who went there last year.
Who are the 2 rivals they lose to every year? Only UM makes sense (OSU & MSU)

"Balance" in an offense is not necessary. People look at rushing attempts of winning teams and point to that. "See winning teams run the ball almost as much, if not more than they pass the ball." That is often the result of running the ball late in the game because of building a lead because of passing the ball. If a team needs a 3 yard gain, the chance of an average team gaining the 3 yards is greater in a passing play.
It’s not the he 13 touches. It’s s 13 touches in UM’s offensive system that’s laughable.

Does the QB even get 13 touches a game?

Reactions: pboiler18

not hard to get 13 touches. returning punts and kicks , running plays, catches . they never said 13 catches.

I do not disagree. A well balanced attack is always preferred. I saw Earl Campbell rush 741 times in two seasons and I saw Earl Campbell’s career cut short as a result of overwork.
Earl was definitely overused, but his running style did him no favors either.

For example, Emmitt Smith had at 2 separate occurrences of 740 carries in a 2 year period, and had multiple 1300 + Yard seasons afterwards. But he was great at avoiding big shots. Earl was seeking out contact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT