ADVERTISEMENT

Eron Hodges is absolutely killing it as the director of player personnel...

Him and his whole team have been lights out. We are very lucky to have a group like that! Hopefully we do whatever it takes to keep them around.

Good marketing but I thought they would use something like:

"I see what your doin" a play on 20/20 vision.

All good stuff though......keep getting us Boilermakers.
My guess is that stuff had already been taken by other schools. I haven't run in to other schools using a similar 20K gold strategy.

Check out some of the stuff for the 2020 class which they have tabbed with the hashtag #20KGOLD

Hayden Pauls (@hpballer16) and Braedon Nutter (@Braedon_nutter) reposted it as well. And don’t forget the 20kgold water slide tweet Brohm posted. Tons of prospect recruits were tweeting at him. 4,900 likes and 157k views. ‘20 should be something real special!

Hodges got the attention of Henning, the #1 recruit out of Illinois. Assuming that was the guy Eron was talking about wearing Purdue gear in a snap. Got to lock up an elite target early. Also, the OL and DL seem to be high priorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Good marketing but I thought they would use something like:

"I see what your doin" a play on 20/20 vision.

All good stuff though......keep getting us Boilermakers.

Yes it is, and it's way, way better than the LEO Loosier-coaster:

giphy.gif

#LOL

How about a Purdue guy under him to learn the trade and help with basketball?
You really can’t deny that Football has more energy and buzz in their recruiting operation right now. They are really connecting with the kids.

You really can’t deny that Football has more energy and buzz in their recruiting operation right now. They are really connecting with the kids.
The ground is fertile and so are the support and finances. Purdue missed that after the baby boilers...and so there was no striking while the iron was hot. I remember ole Parker Dunham an IU grad (Obama's mother relative) telling me about 50 years ago that Purdue was a football school and IU was a basketball school. ;)

The biggest difference is in basketball there are about 150 or so really good players per year, and maybe 10 or so program changers. Basketball has the AAU corruption.

Football often has well over 1000 really good players per year, and probably 100 or so program changers. Cheating exists I am sue exists but not to the extent in basketball. You can also develop prospects in football as people gain weight and muscle. It isn’t uncommon to see somebody outside of the top 500 develop into an absolute star.

Finally, in basketball, the players play both ways. In football, the players just don’t affect as many plays as in basketball. It’s worth cheating for the top players because there is literally no punishment.

In summary, even if we do some cool graphics and throw awesome concerts and have fans gush over recruits practicing, without dropping off that duffel bag or making the right connections with handlers or AAU coaches it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: ChuckJr
The biggest difference is in basketball there are about 150 or so really good players per year, and maybe 10 or so program changers. Basketball has the AAU corruption.

Football often has well over 1000 really good players per year, and probably 100 or so program changers. Cheating exists I am sue exists but not to the extent in basketball. You can also develop prospects in football as people gain weight and muscle. It isn’t uncommon to see somebody outside of the top 500 develop into an absolute star.

Finally, in basketball, the players play both ways. In football, the players just don’t affect as many plays as in basketball. It’s worth cheating for the top players because there is literally no punishment.

In summary, even if we do some cool graphics and throw awesome concerts and have fans gush over recruits practicing, without dropping off that duffel bag or making the right connections with handlers or AAU coaches it doesn’t matter.
Lot of truth in there, but it would eliminate a variable that exists for many

it's also easier to turn around a B Ball program esp. in the fertile recruiting grounds of the Midwest, there is absolutely No reason that a school like Purdue should be having a walk-on in their starting lineup let alone in the top 8 or 9 players.

If you don’t follow Eron Hodges on twitter, you need to. He was calling out commits and prospects on Madden and talking smack. He was snapping with Justin Rogers, the massive OL top 15 kid out of Michigan and then talking smack after beating him in Madden. If Purdue lands him, that will be 100% on Hodges and Grant bringing him in. Hodges is worth every penny and a very fun follow. He was careful not to call the recruit by his name, but Grant dimed him out. ⬆️

It's crazy how quickly they turned it around while basketball can't ever break through.

eh?

The last 2 basketball recruiting classes we've taken 4 4-star and 2 3-star.

I'm not sure what "break through" means, and I still can't figure out why Purdue football recruiting is used as a cudgel to bash the Purdue basketball program.

eh?

The last 2 basketball recruiting classes we've taken 4 4-star and 2 3-star.

I'm not sure what "break through" means, and I still can't figure out why Purdue football recruiting is used as a cudgel to bash the Purdue basketball program.
I'm not trying to bash basketball, I just wish we could be more successful recruiting. Sorry for the wall of text, but here is how I see it:
Basketball we have an established coach, well respected by his peers and seems to have a good relationship with high school coaches. We are a consistent conference contender, and at the end of the year will in all likelyhood have two 1st team AA's in the last three years. The facilities are very good and updated, the crowds and arena are great, and there is a good tradition as well. Yes, we dont have banners that container asbestos or have a run of 4th place national finishes that we beat into the ground, but a good tradition nonetheless. We constantly lose recruiting battles to the two aforementioned schools. And it's not even close. We struggle to get the kids we want to play for our bball program. We get good kids and we occassionally win the battle like with Biggie, Travion, and Nojel. We get kids that I am proud to share alumni status with, but we are missing out on key pieces to make this team a national contender.
Football, we are two years removed from losing by 2-3 touchdowns at home to every D 1 opponent on the schedule. The stadium needs major work, and until this year was at least a third empty even during conference games. We struggled to be MAC programs for recruits and pissed away top talent like Espensa that was ours for the taking due to arrogance. Now, we sign the top two kids in the state and took kids from Ohio with OSU offers, kids from Michigan with Michigan offers, and kids from KY with Alabama offers. Brohm recruits a kid and gets him. Painter recruits a kid and gets a second place ribbon. Not trying to rip him or bball, just wish we could get our first picks more often.

I'm not trying to bash basketball, I just wish we could be more successful recruiting. Sorry for the wall of text, but here is how I see it:
Basketball we have an established coach, well respected by his peers and seems to have a good relationship with high school coaches. We are a consistent conference contender, and at the end of the year will in all likelyhood have two 1st team AA's in the last three years. The facilities are very good and updated, the crowds and arena are great, and there is a good tradition as well. Yes, we dont have banners that container asbestos or have a run of 4th place national finishes that we beat into the ground, but a good tradition nonetheless. We constantly lose recruiting battles to the two aforementioned schools. And it's not even close. We struggle to get the kids we want to play for our bball program. We get good kids and we occassionally win the battle like with Biggie, Travion, and Nojel. We get kids that I am proud to share alumni status with, but we are missing out on key pieces to make this team a national contender.
Football, we are two years removed from losing by 2-3 touchdowns at home to every D 1 opponent on the schedule. The stadium needs major work, and until this year was at least a third empty even during conference games. We struggled to be MAC programs for recruits and pissed away top talent like Espensa that was ours for the taking due to arrogance. Now, we sign the top two kids in the state and took kids from Ohio with OSU offers, kids from Michigan with Michigan offers, and kids from KY with Alabama offers. Brohm recruits a kid and gets him. Painter recruits a kid and gets a second place ribbon. Not trying to rip him or bball, just wish we could get our first picks more often.

???

So... we have an established coach, with an established record of very good recruits.

Yet, you want... what? For us to win every recruiting battle?

For us to offer kids ca$h?

Brohm doesn't get every kid he wants. Neither does Painter.

So....???

Do you REALLY think we struggle against MAC opponents for recruits? REALLY?

Care to take a look and see who we're beating for recruits in recent years?

IU, OSU, Xavier, MSU, UConn, .... the list goes on.

What??!

You can say that, but yes... yes, you are "trying to bash basketball." If you're not trying to do it, then don't. It's that simple.

Look... we all want BOTH programs to be more successful. Don't juxtapose one program against the other when wanting to elevate one or the other. It's not a good thing to do.

Reactions: joseole101
???

So... we have an established coach, with an established record of very good recruits.

Yet, you want... what? For us to win every recruiting battle?

For us to offer kids ca$h?

Brohm doesn't get every kid he wants. Neither does Painter.

So....???

Do you REALLY think we struggle against MAC opponents for recruits? REALLY?

Care to take a look and see who we're beating for recruits in recent years?

IU, OSU, Xavier, MSU, UConn, .... the list goes on.

What??!

You can say that, but yes... yes, you are "trying to bash basketball." If you're not trying to do it, then don't. It's that simple.

Look... we all want BOTH programs to be more successful. Don't juxtapose one program against the other when wanting to elevate one or the other. It's not a good thing to do.
You misunderstood his post. He meant Football went from beating MAC schools for recruits to beating Bama, ND, Ohio State, and Michigan in a couple years.

In short, I believe his point is that in recruiting, Football is outperforming their recent on field performance, whereas Basketball recruiting is underperforming, versus their recent on-court success.

You misunderstood his post. He meant Football went from beating MAC schools for recruits to beating Bama, ND, Ohio State, and Michigan in a couple years.

In short, I believe his point is that in recruiting, Football is outperforming their recent on field performance, whereas Basketball recruiting is underperforming, versus their recent on-court success.

apologies, Frankie.

Reactions: Frankie611
I think due to the sheer numbers involved the misses in basketball are more in the limelight. On average we sign 3 basketball recruits per year. We sign 20-25 football recruits per year. Fewer offers in basketball. Players are more well-known. In basketball once you miss on a kid, the marginal "drop" to the next kid is larger than in football. We expect to miss on football recruits because the numbers are so much greater. The basketball misses are more talked about than the football misses. Part of that is, like NP said, basketball has had the on-court success that football has not. So the question becomes, why is Brohm "successful" at recruiting and Painter is not? The answer is probably that they are closer in success rate than we think, but the perception is different.

Basketball ranking per 24/7

2019- 36th overall/ 5th B10
2018- 48th/9th
2017- 34th/4th
2016 -108th/13th (only Carson listed in class)
2015- 37th/7th

Reactions: SKYDOG
Basketball ranking per 24/7

2019- 36th overall/ 5th B10
2018- 48th/9th
2017- 34th/4th
2016 -108th/13th (only Carson listed in class)
2015- 37th/7th
Let's expand on this a bit. I'll focus on the national ranking for simplicity and because the strength of the conference fluctuates from year-to-year.

2019- 36
2018- 48
2017- 34
2016 -108*
2015- 37
2014- 33
2013- 28
2012- 16
2011- 92
2010- 37

Honestly, that is worse than I would have guessed. Even throwing out the outlier 1-man 2016 class, that is an average of 40.

Considering football has gone from 72 to 51 to 24 in three years, and given the built-in disadvantages football has (in-state talent, history, fan support), a comparison is almost inevitable. I don't like the idea of pitting one Purdue coach against the other, but I guess that's human nature.

With that said, I am curious whether the current level of football recruiting can be sustained once the honeymoon period is over. I believe the answer will lie completely in on-field success. If Brohm can continue to recruit top 30 classes to a program that is 77th in all time win pct, then that punctures a lot of the recruiting excuses. Otherwise, these early Brohm classes might be remembered as the football version of the Baby Boilers.

What is a Purdue guy? Were Noble Kizer, Jack Mollenkopf, Fred Hovde, Gene Keady, Bob King, Dr. Edward C. Elliott, George King, R.B. Stewart , et al Purdue guys?

What is a Purdue guy? Were Noble Kizer, Jack Mollenkopf, Fred Hovde, Gene Keady, Bob King, Dr. Edward C. Elliott, George King, R.B. Stewart , et al Purdue guys?
Yes...not at first but people not using Purdue as as stepping stone. When Gene was hired I "thought" I wanted Larry Brown, but we know he wouldn't be a purdue guy. I guess what I'm saying is the media can be learned and would like that talent to stay for a while. I'm fully aware NONE of those people were generational Purdue people. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT