ADVERTISEMENT

End of B1G/ACC Challenge

rgarlitz

All-American
Jun 16, 2012
This was news to me. It looks like the Big 10-ACC Challenge will end this year and the ACC will start a similar event with the SEC next year.

I guess I have mixed feelings about it. Purdue rarely seemed to get much respect in the Challenge, but we are one of a very few B1G teams that has a winning record in the event. The B1G was awful for the first 10 years but has won most of the challenges in recent years.

Unfortunately, Minnesota and Northwestern have us off to a rough start this year.

I love it. Glad it's ending. 20 conference games, so more flexibility is needed in non conference scheduling. Gavitt Games need to go next. Thankfully that trash Crossroads Classic ended.

I thought the B10 vs ACC was pretty interesting as it pitted the two conferences against one another. With the B10 winning more of their share lately, the match up brought added credibility to all the B10.

Like it or not, the ACC was a dominant BB conference at a point in time (kinda like IU and their BB history) but that is slowly changing as the work through a changing of the guard.

I don’t disagree with the added flexibility but hope Purdue schedules traditional strong power house programs that pushes them and elevates the program. Unlike our little sister program to the south that plays cupcakes in non-conference then wonders why they can't beat a B10 team.

Reactions: rgarlitz
I thought the B10 vs ACC was pretty interesting as it pitted the two conferences against one another. With the B10 winning more of their share lately, the match up brought added credibility to all the B10.

Like it or not, the ACC was a dominant BB conference at a point in time (kinda like IU and their BB history) but that is slowly changing as the work through a changing of the guard.

I don’t disagree with the added flexibility but hope Purdue schedules traditional strong power house programs that pushes them and elevates the program. Unlike our little sister program to the south that plays cupcakes in non-conference then wonders why they can't beat a B10 team.
Yea because no one schedules cupcakes.. lol. Purdue doesn't really schedule big time games on their own. But they will need to for next year.

Yea because no one schedules cupcakes.. lol. Purdue doesn't really schedule big time games on their own. But they will need to for next year.
Once the Big XII adds Houston, Cincinnati, BYU and UCF to get up to 12 teams (they'll lose UT and OU, of course), I think it's a no-brainer to have a Big Ten/Big XII Challenge on FOX and FS1. Who cares if Minnesota, Northwestern, Nebraska and [insert team that is currently bad] don't get to play? 🤣

I’d love to replace the challenge game with an annual matchup with UVa, another program that, like Purdue, does things the right way with a high level of success.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
Once the Big XII adds Houston, Cincinnati, BYU and UCF to get up to 12 teams (they'll lose UT and OU, of course), I think it's a no-brainer to have a Big Ten/Big XII Challenge on FOX and FS1. Who cares if Minnesota, Northwestern, Nebraska and [insert team that is currently bad] don't get to play? 🤣
Typically, the Big 10's worst teams did not sit. Here are the Big 10 schools that sat out the challenge (bold = team ranked at the time):

Indiana (99, 00)
Ohio State (99, 00)
Michigan (01, 02)
Purdue (01, 02)
Iowa (03, 04)
Penn State (03, 04)

After 2004, the ACC usually had more teams than the Big 10. Here are the ACC schools that sat out:
Miami (04, 07, 10)
Virginia Tech (04, 13, 19)
Boston College (05, 14, 16, 21)
Wake Forest (06, 13, 18, 20)
NC State (08, 22)
Georgia Tech (09, 15)
Clemson (13)
Pitt (17)

(Note: 2020 was a mess due to the coronavirus. Wake Forest was the designated school to sit out the challenge that year, but several games were cancelled.)

The Big Ten let some of the heavy hitters sit out, while the ACC seemed to do so less often. I know in the early years of the Challenge, there were a lot of complaints from Big Ten fans of matchups leaning towards the ACC. While I'm a bit sympathetic to both complaints, they are subjective (and I'm a biased observer).

All this is to state, there is no guarantee the Big 10 will sit the poorer teams if a Big 12-Big 10 Challenge occurs. If the ACC-Big 10 Challenge was any indication, it's likely Purdue would see a lot of TCU, Texas Tech, and Iowa State (the latter of whom represents one of those "lose/lose" matchups as they tend to be better than their sparse media attention might suggest).

Some of you who want to see this gone need to listen to yesterday's interview with Painter. He is not optimistic about replacing the ACC game with an opponent of similar quality. Sort of like trading ND/Butler for Davidson, be careful what you wish for.

While we didn’t get to always face the team we wanted like Duke or UNC, we usually faced a team that was also a tourney team. We seem to play fsu a lot

Some of you who want to see this gone need to listen to yesterday's interview with Painter. He is not optimistic about replacing the ACC game with an opponent of similar quality. Sort of like trading ND/Butler for Davidson, be careful what you wish for.
Well that is Purdues problem. Indiana, Michigan State will likely not have that problem. Next year might be tricky with such short notice though. Indiana replaced that trash Crossroads Classic with a game against Arizona in Vegas this year. And for Purdue, hell you guys aren't getting any help this year because you're playing a crappy FSU team that won't even matter on the resume. Painter and the AD will just need to get creative and get a big time home and home set with someone finally.

Reactions: pboiler18
Don't forget we play in Maui next November. That could be like this year with 3 quality games in one weekend. Bloom specifically mentioned Gonzaga as a team we would like to do a home and home with. Nothing set, but he seemed to think there would be a game in Mackey that fans would like.

Reactions: indyogb
Many of us have always wanted a home-and-home series with Luoiseville, but that potential jewel has turned into a turd.

Some of this concern for quality opponents will go away when UCLA and USC join the conference.

I'm not worried about finding a "quality opponent" to fill the gap. Finding another Florida State won't be that hard (we already had a better one in Marquette). We used to draw good opponents in Indy - I remember watching the Rodney Smith-led Boilermakers beating #1 Arizona there back in 2000.

Furthermore, with the preseason tournaments everywhere, we'll have at least a couple solid games. We play in the Big Ten - win 20 games and beat a couple decent teams, and we're likely in the tournament.

Reactions: pboiler18
Well that is Purdues problem. Indiana, Michigan State will likely not have that problem. Next year might be tricky with such short notice though. Indiana replaced that trash Crossroads Classic with a game against Arizona in Vegas this year. And for Purdue, hell you guys aren't getting any help this year because you're playing a crappy FSU team that won't even matter on the resume. Painter and the AD will just need to get creative and get a big time home and home set with someone finally.

Maybe you can puff your chest out there a little more. Not only is Purdue beneath you, but Butler and Notre Dame as well? Purdue has played Arizona in a non-conference game outside a tournament before, too (we've even managed to play a home and home with UCLA before!). ;)

Not suffering through the subtle arrogance like these claims were what made the Crean and Miller years so refreshing. Hopefully we can return to that place once the Woodson "honeymoon" ends.

Maybe you can puff your chest out there a little more. Not only is Purdue beneath you, but Butler and Notre Dame as well? Purdue has played Arizona in a non-conference game outside a tournament before, too (we've even managed to play a home and home with UCLA before!). ;)

Not suffering through the subtle arrogance like these claims were what made the Crean and Miller years so refreshing. Hopefully we can return to that place once the Woodson "honeymoon" ends.
It's the fact that Indiana, Michigan State basketball are more of national brands. I have no doubt Purdue can get something done with someone. But they completely failed to this year.

Indiana is not a national brand. They were long ago but are not anymore. This goes to the core of their problem. They live as if it was 1980 and Bob Knight was still their coach. They have been down for so long they forget that they don't command anything from anyone. Good heavens, they haven't made the tournament or won anything that their own sports program dept forgot how to spell Indina!

CMP has been around long enough and has established a program worthy of respect. Purdue will be able to find a suitable replacement that pushes the program without any issue.

All programs play cup cakes early on just to get the kinks worked out, develop rotations, develop chemistry, and see where improvement is needed.

My point was when you rely on those wins to get ranked, build stats, or in football to get to a bowl game then you have already lost.

I'm not worried about finding a "quality opponent" to fill the gap. Finding another Florida State won't be that hard (we already had a better one in Marquette). We used to draw good opponents in Indy - I remember watching the Rodney Smith-led Boilermakers beating #1 Arizona there back in 2000.

Furthermore, with the preseason tournaments everywhere, we'll have at least a couple solid games. We play in the Big Ten - win 20 games and beat a couple decent teams, and we're likely in the tournament.
Marquette was through Gavit games. In fact, all of Purdue's OOC quality opponents this season are either through conference tie-ins or the PK tourney. Not to say Purdue can't schedule ANY decent opponents, but straight from the coach's mouth it is more difficult.

It might come down to paying bucks to draw them to Mackey. I can see why other teams would be hesitant about coming to the one if the loudest venues in college basketball. We’ll need to return the favor and travel there. CMP has built some good relationships over the years with other coaches. Maybe get home and home with one or more of the following - TCU, Providence, West Virginia, Texas, Villanova, ….

It's the fact that Indiana, Michigan State basketball are more of national brands. I have no doubt Purdue can get something done with someone. But they completely failed to this year.
Purdue's non-conference schedule was fine this year---Marquette and a good holiday tournament that included games against West Virginia, Gonzaga, and Duke. The ACC Challenge game looks like a bust, but you can't really ask for much more than Purdue got this year.

It would be cool to get a game at Pitt since Morton is a HS hero in that area. Target an area where you want to recruit outside of Indiana.

Marquette was through Gavit games. In fact, all of Purdue's OOC quality opponents this season are either through conference tie-ins or the PK tourney. Not to say Purdue can't schedule ANY decent opponents, but straight from the coach's mouth it is more difficult.
Yeah, but isn't that pretty much the norm throughout college basketball? High major teams are reluctant to face other high major teams on the road. That's why we have so many holiday tournaments. I find it hard to believe that quality non-conference scheduling is a problem peculiar to Purdue.

Yeah, but isn't that pretty much the norm throughout college basketball? High major teams are reluctant to face other high major teams on the road. That's why we have so many holiday tournaments. I find it hard to believe that quality non-conference scheduling is a problem peculiar to Purdue.
That wasn't the point. The point was it is more difficult to schedule these games on your own and having quality OOC opponents is important both to improve your team and to build your resume for the tourney. So, while the ACC draws haven't been ideal, they might be better than the alternative.

That wasn't the point. The point was it is more difficult to schedule these games on your own and having quality OOC opponents is important both to improve your team and to build your resume for the tourney. So, while the ACC draws haven't been ideal, they might be better than the alternative.

I think Painter also spoke in terms of the conference as a whole. So some teams (like Michigan State) won't have too many issues......Purdue? probably ok - most years it seems.....but if you take all of the conference teams, Painter thought it would be difficult to match what the ACC challenge provided.

Wouldn't mind seeing another home/home with Texas or any of Texas Tech, Kansas, Villanova, Gonzaga, or Arizona for starters.

Reactions: TX4GB
Purdue's non-conference schedule was fine this year---Marquette and a good holiday tournament that included games against West Virginia, Gonzaga, and Duke. The ACC Challenge game looks like a bust, but you can't really ask for much more than Purdue got this year.
Right, but you're not getting a tournament like that every year, unless Nike is starting to do that yearly for all those schools. Gavitt Games are out of Purdues control. ACC/B1G was out of the schools control. So who will Purdue replace that ACC game or those tourney games with going forward will be the question. Obviously Purdue didn't have a lot of wiggle room this year, which probably lead to Purdue having to replace ND/Butler with Davidson this year.

It has been known for a few decades that no roads go to West Lafayette for some teams and coaches...

It has been known for a few decades that no roads go to West Lafayette for some teams and coaches...

You talkin to me?

images.jpg

Right, but you're not getting a tournament like that every year, unless Nike is starting to do that yearly for all those schools. Gavitt Games are out of Purdues control. ACC/B1G was out of the schools control. So who will Purdue replace that ACC game or those tourney games with going forward will be the question. Obviously Purdue didn't have a lot of wiggle room this year, which probably lead to Purdue having to replace ND/Butler with Davidson this year.
Well, sure, but Purdue knew about the Phil Knight Legacy field when setting up the rest of the schedule. Without it they no doubt would have gone after tougher games.

And the ACC gets the final W
Way to blow it, MSU and Michigan

Two other costly games were Tuesday - Wisconsin lost a home lead late and Penn State made a nice comeback only to drop it at Clemson in double OT.

Michigan State ran out of gas traveling to South Bend.

Big Ten wins - Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Nebraska, and Purdue

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Elliot wouldn't commit on air but he pretty much said that while it is challenging he thought they would be able to get good games both at home and in Indy going forward. A few of things to keep in mind:

1. While it hasn't been announced, I would be very surprised if the B1G Ten and Big 12 don't have a challenge. That replaces the ACC game and could actually be a better game for PU. ACC game hasn't exactly been great lately!

2. We go to Maui next year. That automatically means you are going to get 2 if not 3 quality games. I don't think it's been announced yet, but we'll probably be in another Holiday tournament in 2024. No reason to think we can't get into one in 24.

3. Elliot specifically mentioned Gonzaga for a home and home possibility. I don't think he would have said that if they weren't close to getting them or someone of that caliber.

I'm just not as worried as some about our future schedule. I have confidence we will have a good one next year and beyond.

You talkin to me?

images.jpg
I pity those poor ESPN production assistants who each day must wade through the flood of emails and calls from the multitudes who clamor for the return of Digger to the studio.

How we waited with bated breath each night between November and April to discover what color highlighter he would wield like a sword of wisdom.

lololololol.

Look at IUs schedule. Now look at ours. One of those things is not like the other…..

I’d imagine most years , especially with the state of our program we’ll play in a top OOC tournament. Davidson is a good if not better replacement than Butler or ND most years. We’ll grab a game or two every year that are fine.

Looking at our OOC schedules vs IUs over the past 10 years ours have been significantly better and it’s not even close. I remember a few years ago IU had that 11-0 start and fans had their chests puffed out. Only problem was they didn’t play anybody in the top 150 of the RPI and as soon as they did the losses started to mount.

The facts are…IU is less of a “national brand” than Purdue at this point.

As someone who lives in Chicago, you guys are so far up your own ass it’s kind of sad. National brand? 😂 You’re not even a “brand” one state over!

You’re an Indiana/statewide brand … even Purdue fans subconsciously overrate your relevance because they’re constantly talking about IU, but yeah … no. If you say it over and over, it still doesn’t make it true.

Reactions: Gemini95
ADVERTISEMENT