ADVERTISEMENT

End of B1G/ACC Challenge

One minor, but important correction. Purdue is the ONLY team in the Big10 with a winning record in the Challenge.

@ 13-9, yes - as Minnesota, Penn State and Wisconsin all lost this year to drop to .500. Nebraska won to get to .500. Meanwhile, 7 ACC schools have winning records, which includes Maryland when they were still a member.

At one point, I think Purdue was something like 2-6 in the early stages of this event.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
@ 13-9, yes - as Minnesota, Penn State and Wisconsin all lost this year to drop to .500. Nebraska won to get to .500. Meanwhile, 7 ACC schools have winning records, which includes Maryland when they were still a member.

At one point, I think Purdue was something like 2-6 in the early stages of this event.
Are you telling me the ACC Maryland wins weren't part of the package when they came to the Big Ten? I was looking forward to adding the UCLA nattys and USC Heisman winners to the Big Ten tally next year.

Are you telling me the ACC Maryland wins weren't part of the package when they came to the Big Ten? I was looking forward to adding the UCLA nattys and USC Heisman winners to the Big Ten tally next year.

Under the Walton rule, cannot be done - reserved solely for "THEE Conference of Champions."

lololololol.

Look at IUs schedule. Now look at ours. One of those things is not like the other…..

I’d imagine most years , especially with the state of our program we’ll play in a top OOC tournament. Davidson is a good if not better replacement than Butler or ND most years. We’ll grab a game or two every year that are fine.

Looking at our OOC schedules vs IUs over the past 10 years ours have been significantly better and it’s not even close. I remember a few years ago IU had that 11-0 start and fans had their chests puffed out. Only problem was they didn’t play anybody in the top 150 of the RPI and as soon as they did the losses started to mount.

The facts are…IU is less of a “national brand” than Purdue at this point.
Yea... Look at how Indiana replaced Butler/ND with... Arizona... And then a home and home with Kansas.... While Purdue went and got Davidson.

One minor, but important correction. Purdue is the ONLY team in the Big10 with a winning record in the Challenge.
Ha! They are now. That's probably not something to celebrate. Every other B1G team that had a winning record lost this year to drop them back down to .500. So, the mighty B1G has exactly one team with a winning record in the series. Way to go out with dignity, fellas.

That is correct. Purdue went 2-6 between 1999 and 2008 (with 2 no plays), but has gone 11-3 in the event since 2009.

Purdue has been ranked in the top-25 ten times during the challenge and faced nine ranked opponents. Purdue's most common opponent was Florida State ('05, '18, '21, '22) followed by Virginia ('00, '06, '19), NC State ('99, '04, '14) and Clemson ('03, '07, '12). Purdue faced Miami ('11, '20) and Louisville ('16, '17) twice each and Pitt ('15), BC ('13), Va Tech ('10), Wake Forrest ('09), and Duke ('08) once each. Purdue did not participate in 2001 and 2002.

That is correct. Purdue went 2-6 between 1999 and 2008 (with 2 no plays), but has gone 11-3 in the event since 2009.

Purdue has been ranked in the top-25 ten times during the challenge and faced nine ranked opponents. Purdue's most common opponent was Florida State ('05, '18, '21, '22) followed by Virginia ('00, '06, '19), NC State ('99, '04, '14) and Clemson ('03, '07, '12). Purdue faced Miami ('11, '20) and Louisville ('16, '17) twice each and Pitt ('15), BC ('13), Va Tech ('10), Wake Forrest ('09), and Duke ('08) once each. Purdue did not participate in 2001 and 2002.
Nice... Indianas like last decade or so has been UNC 3x, Duke 3x, FSU 2x, Cuse 2x. I think we played Louisville one year.

Nice... Indianas like last decade or so has been UNC 3x, Duke 3x, FSU 2x, Cuse 2x. I think we played Louisville one year.
And? UNC, FSU, Cuse, and Louisville all have losing records in the Challenge. Syracuse has the lowest win percentage of them all.

Oh, by the way...several of Purdue's regular opponents finished with winning records. Miami, Virginia, Clemson, and Wake to name a few.

And? UNC, FSU, Cuse, and Louisville all have losing records in the Challenge. Syracuse has the lowest win percentage of them all.

Oh, by the way...several of Purdue's regular opponents finished with winning records. Miami, Virginia, Clemson, and Wake to name a few.
Cool? You think Clemson and Wake were playing teams of worth every year? Who was UNC, Duke, FSU and Cause playing most years? Good teams.

The Challenge was a mixed bag for Indiana---as it was for Purdue.

Indiana went 4-1 vs. North Carolina but 0-5 against Duke.

The Hoosiers experienced EIGHT double-digit losses, including 4 by 20 or more (Duke in '15 and '18, Wake Forest in '03--by 33--and '08). So, yeah, Indiana got a lot of headline matchups. But they also served as cannon fodder, a lot.

For reference, Purdue had 3 double-digit losses, including that infamous 30-point curb stomping to FSU in '05. Purdue's last double-digit loss in this event was 76-60 to Duke fourteen years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: indyogb
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT