ADVERTISEMENT

Effortless PSU 80-yard drive

Feb 5, 2003
We let PSU go 80 yards for the game winning TD in just over a minute. Ridiculous!

We will never be a serious conference contender until we play quality defense.

We let PSU go 80 yards for the game winning TD in just over a minute. Ridiculous!

The D seemed gassed at that point and couldn't get any push or pass rush from the DL.

I don’t buy that they were gassed, rotating 7 or 8 DL all game. They just aren’t good at generating pressure without sending extra guys.
They weren't good even with sending extra guys...the lack of any pass rush or pressure was alarming.

I get Karlaftis was ridiculously good, but, if it takes having someone like that for Purdue to be good in that regard, that does not bode well, as, guys like that don't come along often, and, if the model is to find one, that won't be easy obviously.

I don’t buy that they were gassed, rotating 7 or 8 DL all game. They just aren’t good at generating pressure without sending extra guys.
Yeah, I think that's the real problem. And, I don't think it's just a Purdue problem. I can't remember the last time I saw any team beat a 2-minute offense using just a 4-man rush. That favors the offense every time. Passing, even a pedestrian attack, has just become too surgically precise if you give a guy time to throw and force the secondary to spread out and cover 4 or 5 receivers. Purdue had to bring some creative pressure on that last drive. Sure, it would have opened the defense up to a big play. But, without pressure PSU just marched down the field eating up clock. I hope we see a little more creativity in that situation from here on out.

Well in their defense (no pun intended) the D did stop them twice previously in the 4th - only to have the O do nothing. You knew stopping them a third time was asking too much.
The 10 pt swing debacle to end the first half though…

Yeah, I think that's the real problem. And, I don't think it's just a Purdue problem. I can't remember the last time I saw any team beat a 2-minute offense using just a 4-man rush. That favors the offense every time. Passing, even a pedestrian attack, has just become too surgically precise if you give a guy time to throw and force the secondary to spread out and cover 4 or 5 receivers. Purdue had to bring some creative pressure on that last drive. Sure, it would have opened the defense up to a big play. But, without pressure PSU just marched down the field eating up clock. I hope we see a little more creativity in that situation from here on out.
To say that it was disappointing would be an understatement...very, very little creativity last night, and, just not a lot of wins in individual matchups either.

Solid group, and, they were better in the run game than I had anticipated, but, they were bad against the pass throughout.

Reactions: rgarlitz
They weren't good even with sending extra guys...the lack of any pass rush or pressure was alarming.

I get Karlaftis was ridiculously good, but, if it takes having someone like that for Purdue to be good in that regard, that does not bode well, as, guys like that don't come along often, and, if the model is to find one, that won't be easy obviously.
I mean, a lot of us have been talking about this all off season, so I'd say the alarms have been sounding for months before the game. Anyone who watched the MCB, anyone who has been listening to the "non answers" from the coaches about who is stepping into that role, it is exactly what I've been expecting.
And I don't pretend to have any solutions. There might not simply be any for this season.
This is a team that will probably play the run better than the pass, might hold up a little better than in the past against ground teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota, but is simply going to give up yards and some big plays in the air against any kind of functional passing attack.
We'll need to simply outscore those type of teams, which puts last night into a different perspective - probably needed a better game from Aidan and the receiving corpse to overcome the deficiencies in the defense and running game. Not really a fair ask, but it is what it is.

Reactions: DAG10
Well in their defense (no pun intended) the D did stop them twice previously in the 4th - only to have the O do nothing. You knew stopping them a third time was asking too much.
The 10 pt swing debacle to end the first half though…

That was were we lost it instead of turning into the beat down we did to Ohio State in 2018. Without the dropped pass that made us punt from the 3 yard line, the fumble when we were driving and in scoring range, and the deja vu to the Hazel-era when the PSU tight end rambled all the way for a TD we would have had control of the game entering the second half.

I mean, a lot of us have been talking about this all off season, so I'd say the alarms have been sounding for months before the game. Anyone who watched the MCB, anyone who has been listening to the "non answers" from the coaches about who is stepping into that role, it is exactly what I've been expecting.
And I don't pretend to have any solutions. There might not simply be any for this season.
This is a team that will probably play the run better than the pass, might hold up a little better than in the past against ground teams like Wisconsin and Minnesota, but is simply going to give up yards and some big plays in the air against any kind of functional passing attack.
We'll need to simply outscore those type of teams, which puts last night into a different perspective - probably needed a better game from Aidan and the receiving corpse to overcome the deficiencies in the defense and running game. Not really a fair ask, but it is what it is.
Agree, but, shouldn't the bells have been ringing for the staff?!? Like say, Karlaftis was special (very much so), and, it was a crazy set of circumstances that allowed Purdue to get him, but, the alarms are sounding WAY louder after last night. To your point, not anything that can be done now for this season seemingly and unfortunately, but, that only compounds the frustration.

There have to be some creative ways to generate some pressure as things stand, and, there was none last night...literally none...not sure if that is because the DCs failed, or, because Purdue just lacks the talent for it...either is a bad thing and huge concern though.

Agree that the end result is them having to outscore teams and it not being an ideal solution or recipe for success, more so with a single effective TE and, after last night, what looks to be a potential bigger concern at the WR position as well...again, props to Jones, but, that he could not even get on the field in Iowa and came here and was not just the best WR that Purdue has, but, by a significant margin is concerning.

Purdue more or less never beats Penn St., Minnesota or Wisconsin, and, no reason after what we saw last night to think that it changes with respect to Minnesota or Wisconsin either unfortunately.

Guys like Durham, need to step up in games like against Penn St. Bell was the guy before, would have been a difference maker last night.
I don't recall Durham having any drops or errors. AOC missed him a couple of times but he caught the ball when it was catchable.
A WR can only 'step up' so much. We had a couple drops (PSU has more and worse ones than PU). and that fumble was really costly but against the strength of the PSU D and at least 1 NFL DB, they played pretty well.

I don't recall Durham having any drops or errors. AOC missed him a couple of times but he caught the ball when it was catchable.
A WR can only 'step up' so much. We had a couple drops (PSU has more and worse ones than PU). and that fumble was really costly but against the strength of the PSU D and at least 1 NFL DB, they played pretty well.
Just saying the seniors and guys with a lot of playing time, plus being hyped up, need to step up in these games. Durham was guy I thought of first.

Guys like Durham, need to step up in games like against Penn St. Bell was the guy before, would have been a difference maker last night.
Bell is obviously a big loss, but we also tend to deify players after they are gone.

Against ND last season, a team with a similarly talented secondary as this Penn St team, Bell had 7 catches for just 64 yards. Against Wisconsin he had 6 catches for 33 yards. It's not a given that he would have had a huge game last night.

While we have no one with the overall ball catching skills of Bell, there are a few guys who are better at creating separation. I really liked what I saw from Jones.

Bell is obviously a big loss, but we also tend to deify players after they are gone.

Against ND last season, a team with a similarly talented secondary as this Penn St team, Bell had 7 catches for just 64 yards. Against Wisconsin he had 6 catches for 33 yards. It's not a given that he would have had a huge game last night.

While we have no one with the overall ball catching skills of Bell, there are a few guys who are better at creating separation. I really liked what I saw from Jones.
Jones made some good catches, the guy is legit. Just can’t get over the team losing by mistakes.

Bell may not have had a big game overall but I would bet he could have gotten us a first down in crunch time when we desperately needed it.

Bell may not have had a big game overall but I would bet he could have gotten us a first down in crunch time when we desperately needed it.
Maybe, maybe not. Penn St was awfully salty in coverage in the 4th quarter. Let's not act like he was a magic potion. He had only 3 catches against them in 2019 and we lost to far worse opponents than Penn State with David Bell on the roster.

losing Miller and Wright didn't help our cause neither. Where is Yaseen, did Burkes have any targets?

Jones made some good catches, the guy is legit. Just can’t get over the team losing by mistakes.
agree on Jones and no knock on the kid but if he's going to be AOC's #1 option we have some issues. Nice to see Rice again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT