ADVERTISEMENT

Edey load management

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Purdue is off to a great start this season. Zach is on fire. Things are rolling. What could possibly derail things?

Let's look at his mpg stats
2020: 14.7
2021: 19.0
2022: 30.1

He is on pace for over 50% minutes increase from last season. That is a lot of potential mileage on the big guy. Big guys are more prone to injury.

How much of a priority should keeping him fresh for late in the season? Is there much to be gained by dropping 30 points and 20 rebounds on Hofstra, New Orleans, and Florida A&M? Or do you let the Furst/TKR combo get more run in those games?

How would you manage his load going into the meat of the schedule?

Purdue is off to a great start this season. Zach is on fire. Things are rolling. What could possibly derail things?

He is on pace for over 50% minutes increase from last season. That is a lot of potential mileage on the big guy. Big guys are more prone to injury.

How much of a priority should keeping him fresh for late in the season? Is there much to be gained by dropping 30 points and 20 rebounds on Hofstra, New Orleans, and Florida A&M? Or do you let the Furst/TKR combo get more run in those games?

You think they don't manage it?

Do you know what the right number is? They monitor these guys pretty closely. Zach's minutes last year weren't limited due to endurance.
My guess is 30 mpg is getting pretty close to his limits for keeping his wind. That’s how most starter playing time is limited. Load management is a different animal- inexact science, but seeks to prevent injury by minimizing time in the fatigue zone and slowly increasing physical demands. I don’t have the answer, i.e. why it was posed as a question for discussion.

Is 30 minutes the right number against Hofstra?
I think managing the load between games is probably more key. He generally will have 2 to 3 recovery days between games and even though he is huge, he is young. 7 footers in the NBA are happy to get a single day off. I would assume that the staff is monitoring his health and if his body starts showing signs of breaking down, Painter will adjust.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Do you know what the right number is? They monitor these guys pretty closely. Zach's minutes last year weren't limited due to endurance.
They were more predicated on fouls. He’s done an excellent job of staying out of foul trouble so far.

Free Love: Iowa/Duke on ESPN and Dickie V talking about Zachen. ❤️

Edit: Final Duke 74 Iowa 62. DEFCON4: Fran wondering how the Boilers beat these dudes by 19. 😮🤬

Last edited:

I mentioned this concern in another thread..... apparently not a concern of the basketball minds here.

There is some risk to overusage imo.....but the main deal is 30 for E also allows less for time TKR & Furst development.

I am sure coaches are on top of it as a stress fracture foot injury or other usage injuries could derail this season.

Best answer: 42

I think managing the load between games is probably more key. He generally will have 2 to 3 recovery days between games and even though he is huge, he is young. 7 footers in the NBA are happy to get a single day off. I would assume that the staff is monitoring his health and if his body starts showing signs of breaking down, Painter will adjust.
My only concern would be that by the time your body starts showing sign of “breaking down” some damage has been done that might require a more extended period of time to fully heal. I want this guy in prime condition in March because he is nearly unstoppable!
I’d lean toward 20 minutes or less against the likes of Hofstra. There’s simply nothing to prove there. Get TKR more live minutes and kill two birds with one stone.

If Edey is going to be the player of the year as that other thread suggests, then I would expect him to be able to play at least 30 minutes a game. If he can’t handle playing 30 minutes a game, then he is not npoy material. You can’t have it both ways!

My only concern would be that by the time your body starts showing sign of “breaking down” some damage has been done that might require a more extended period of time to fully heal. I want this guy in prime condition in March because he is nearly unstoppable!
I’d lean toward 20 minutes or less against the likes of Hofstra. There’s simply nothing to prove there. Get TKR more live minutes and kill two birds with one stone.
That’s fair if Purdue goes up big against Hofstra, but in the Big Ten season I expect big minutes. Up to a point, playing more minutes can improve his conditioning and ability to handle big minutes, but I agree that it also comes with some increased injury risk. I just see what NBA bigs handle over the course of a season and think that his body should be able to handle the load, but you never really know. Let’s just hope he stays healthy.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I mentioned this concern in another thread..... apparently not a concern of the basketball minds here.

There is some risk to overusage imo.....but the main deal is 30 for E also allows less for time TKR & Furst development.

I am sure coaches are on top of it as a stress fracture foot injury or other usage injuries could derail this season.
Can we throw out anymore jynxs???? The first rule about….

We've had Hammons, Haas, Biggie, Haarms, Tre and Edey. I don't remember any of them missing games for overuse/overtraining injuries.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If Edey is going to be the player of the year as that other thread suggests, then I would expect him to be able to play at least 30 minutes a game. If he can’t handle playing 30 minutes a game, then he is not npoy material. You can’t have it both ways!
Really, so if he averages 28pts and 18rebounds in 25 minutes a game he's a no go !!!!

With the depth of this roster, quality is more important than quantity in regards to minutes. Zach is the focus of the offense and takes a constant beating because that is the only way to defend him. This team simply should not need him overextending himself night in, night out, to meet its goals. If it was taking a while to gel with the freshmen for example, I would probably have a different opinion. But what I am seeing is a team that could practically drop into March madness tomorrow. The guards could use some more seasoning, but Zach is exactly where you need him.

If putting him on a pitch count comes at the expense of a few POY votes, so be it. It is a team game and the big team goals come to a head in March. I don't want to end up hearing about nagging issues holding this team back from its potential. This is the great thing about having depth. And Painter has talked about wanting to get TKR more minutes. Some golden opportunities are upcoming.

Edey isn't going to be averaging 30 mins at the end of the season. Painter loves to stress test his players and rosters in the early stages of the year. I see him falling to around 26 mins once conference play really gets rolling due to the more physically demanding play and just foul trouble.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Edey isn't going to be averaging 30 mins at the end of the season. Painter loves to stress test his players and rosters in the early stages of the year. I see him falling to around 26 mins once conference play really gets rolling due to the more physically demanding play and just foul trouble.
This has been huge so far. I have a feeling you are right. Come conference time he will spend more time on the pine simply because ref's put him there.

I think this is a great question. When you have a BTPOY and NPOY candidate, the inclination can be to play him enough to get him his numbers, even if you don't need him in a given game.

How do you balance that versus recognizing that it's a long season and you want your best players to stay as fresh as possible. I trust Painter and staff to manage but it's an interesting question.

I recall with Biggie, Painter did his best to get him his stats to win player of the year. in several games, he kept him in to get his double/double streak going.

and yes, I believe a poty should be able to handle playing 30+ minutes a game without an issue or fatigue or injury concern. .

although if you're up by 20-30 points, most coaches use common sense and play their second and third string players.

Welp. I got my answer. Edey with 32 minutes and still in the game up 20 with under 4 minutes. I don’t agree, but smarter people than me are in charge here.

Reactions: rjmpu82 and DrEss
Welp. I got my answer. Edey with 32 minutes and still in the game up 20 with under 4 minutes. I don’t agree, but smarter people than me are in charge here.

Yes I disagree too. Hopefully they are managimg his load in practice better than they do in games.

The game was over @ 20-2. From that point on they played us even to the end, regardlless of who was in there.

I recall with Biggie, Painter did his best to get him his stats to win player of the year. in several games, he kept him in to get his double/double streak going.

and yes, I believe a poty should be able to handle playing 30+ minutes a game without an issue or fatigue or injury concern. .

although if you're up by 20-30 points, most coaches use common sense and play their second and third string players.
That's really the question right? No one is suggesting resting Zach in close games to keep him fresh or reduce risk of injury, the question is how much do you play him in games that are early blowouts (we're likely to have two or three of those in the next few weeks).

Reactions: FirstDownB
That's really the question right? No one is suggesting resting Zach in close games to keep him fresh or reduce risk of injury, the question is how much do you play him in games that are early blowouts (we're likely to have two or three of those in the next few weeks).
It is pretty obvious to me now that Painter and Edey are chasing the Naismith/Wooden and willing to risk a small increased exposure to injury for it.

It is pretty obvious to me now that Painter and Edey are chasing the Naismith/Wooden and willing to risk a small increased exposure to injury for it.
Or maybe they are pursuing a national championship and Painter is experimenting with lineups early to see how productivity varies as a function of the players around Edey.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Or maybe they are pursuing a national championship and Painter is experimenting with lineups early to see how productivity varies as a function of the players around Edey.
Well shouldn’t the counter hold true? He should be experimenting with line ups without Edey?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT