ADVERTISEMENT

Eddie Watkins

I sure hope they are pursuing him at LB. My hope is Purdue has stopped recruiting undersized defensive linemen and hoping they'll gain 80 pounds by redshirting. he's probably 230 pounds by now, but still, to compete with the big boys, you need to start at 280 and grow from there. Playing small ball with Speed does not win in football in the Big 10. I thought we learned that lesson with hazell.

I sure hope they are pursuing him at LB. My hope is Purdue has stopped recruiting undersized defensive linemen and hoping they'll gain 80 pounds by redshirting. he's probably 230 pounds by now, but still, to compete with the big boys, you need to start at 280 and grow from there. Playing small ball with Speed does not win in football in the Big 10. I thought we learned that lesson with hazell.

LB or DE(LEO). I've heard he's around 240+ now so wouldn't need to gain all that much if he ends up at DE. Mainly just reshape his body(like the vast majority of freshmen) and be around 260 at end of first year(redshirt?)

[QUOTE="Wolegib, post: 2408080, member: 37187] Speed does not win in football in the Big 10. I thought we learned that lesson with hazell.[/QUOTE]

That’s the takeaway you had from the hazell era? That we shouldn’t focus on speed?

Reactions: jindy and DAG10

uhhh...Bryce Austin, 6'2", 285.

Last year was Faucheux at 269, already over 285.

The year before was Johnson, brought in at 295.

Bigs? WTH?

Make sure to watch how O$U plays D today with all those slow plodding giants.
interesting point

3 years ago, 6'2" 270.
2 years ago they brought in a 6'2" 270 and 6'2" 286.
This year's commit 6'3" 280.
Last year was the only exception, with DTs of 293 and 305.

Looks pretty similar to Brohm's.

We need to give them a "heads up"... they need bigger DTs if they want to compete....

;)

Reactions: jindy
Looks like those big slow D players from Wiscy are running out of gas in the second half. Looks like speed kills.

interesting point

3 years ago, 6'2" 270.
2 years ago they brought in a 6'2" 270 and 6'2" 286.
This year's commit 6'3" 280.
Last year was the only exception, with DTs of 293 and 305.

Looks pretty similar to Brohm's.

We need to give them a "heads up"... they need bigger DTs if they want to compete....

;)

Isn't Watkins being recruited as a DE and/or LB? I've said that I see him as a LB/LEO(like Barnes) so does he EVER need to be even 280?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT