ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern...

Gary Payton was a fantastic defender, but with all due respect to "The Glove," give me Coop every day and twice on Sundays.

What I really like from Nojel Eastern is that he seems to genuinely enjoy and relish the opportunity to defend....that's a big part of it. He's only a sophomore and going to get even better. But.....we shall see.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ezgif-2-714b3c7edf7a.gif
"EVER" covers a lot of players... ;)

I’d put my money on Romeo all day over Nojel.

Again, we shall see. That is if Nojel even guards Rome.

Also - I didn’t bring IU into this, before someone goes off saying “this is a Purdue board”

That comment deserves to be called out no matter Where it’s posted lol. Better than Gary Payton etc etc
He was talking about Purdue defenders. I certainly think it’s too early to call him the best Purdue defender ever, but he is already one of the best perimeter defenders that Painter has had, especially considering the changes in how hand checking is called. I think he does a lot of the same things as Chris Kramer, but with a much bigger body and much longer arms.

Also - I didn’t bring IU into this, before someone goes off saying “this is a Purdue board”

That comment deserves to be called out no matter Where it’s posted lol. Better than Gary Payton etc etc
A lot of this is how the D is set to stop the team and where Romeo fits into that. If Morgan is not playing that game, the whole D changes. The opposing coach goes with the best approach for that game...who do you allow to shoot on O and D? Which shot do you contend hard on D? Who do you help on and not help on D? Who do you keep off the boards? How many do you send to the boards? Who are the drivers? Who are the shooters? Depending on the others, Romeo will fit in. I suspect that Matt is much more concerned about Morgan's effectiveness than Romeo's. I expect Purdue to be better in 1-3, but we shall see what happens in 4-5.

All that said, I have NOT seen Romeo play that much and so I could be 180 degrees away from reality. I held and currently hold the opinion that Romeo is a great athlete that gets to the rim, much more than a skillful player. If true and if touch fouls are not called...Nojel will be fine. Now who will guard Carsen as well? If on, he just backs up five more feet to knock them down...and once spread he is effective going to the basket. If Romeo is a driver (I'm ignorant on this) primarily, then others must be a threat to open the lane?

I don't know who will do what, but whatever happens I imagine that Romeo will consider Nojel one of the best to defend him..however it works out...particularly if the touch fouls on the perimeter are not there when not shooting.

He was talking about Purdue defenders. I certainly think it’s too early to call him the best Purdue defender ever, but he is already one of the best perimeter defenders that Painter has had, especially considering the changes in how hand checking is called. I think he does a lot of the same things as Chris Kramer, but with a much bigger body and much longer arms.
Thanks, yes I was talking about Purdue defenders and certainly not professional players or all players of all time. Just really liked how disruptive he was last night shutting down Persons. He shut down Carr the same way last year, so yes I think he is a damn good defender. It is a Purdue board and so I can talk some smack if I want to. So Ralph Nader; you can just go away; you are not fooling anyone on your true identity!

Nojel will be a candidate for DOP the next three years. Last year, all we really needed from him was to be a lock down defender as we had plenty of other people to score. This year, we need some points from him every game. If he can get 12 a game like he did last night, Purdue will be a much better team. I don't care how he gets them, but we need him on the offensive end this year. He is going to score some off his his own defense and get some put backs as well. If he can make his free throws and hit a couple of jumpers as well, it will really help us. I know he has been working hard on his entire game and as soon as he can translate what he has worked on to game situations, he will be a beast.

Reactions: Purdue0034
Kinda like the writers who said Romeo is maybe the best to ever come out of Indiana. Stop and think about “that” list: Oscar Robertson, Bird, McGinnis, Mount, Skiles, Kemp, The Big Dog, Rayl, Swannigan, Wooden, and it goes on and on.
Like so many other areas in life where statements are made without a historic understanding

Kinda like the writers who said Romeo is maybe the best to ever come out of Indiana. Stop and think about “that” list: Oscar Robertson, Bird, McGinnis, Mount, Skiles, Kemp, The Big Dog, Rayl, Swannigan, Wooden, and it goes on and on.
Lol don’t put Swannigan on that list. Smh.

But I agree. Romeo is good, but you won’t hear me calling him the best ever out of IN. That’s not nearly as ridiculous as calling a player the “best defensive player I’ve ever seen” after shutting out a Ball St player for half a game, though. Romeo could have broken the scoring record if he tried to get his. Had one of the most prolific H.S. careers... how that translates to college TBD.

Hell Kramer was the best defender Purdue has had in recent memory. No question.

Reactions: SKYDOG
A little thing I noticed, I don't know if I was the only one. Cline scored on a fastbreak with around 10:48 left on the clock in the first half and the assist was credited to Stefanovic, but from the highlights video on YouTube you can clearly see that it was Nojel making the assist and Sasha should have instead been credited with a steal. I wonder how many of this kind of mistakes are part of the official boxscores that we so often treat like they are the Bible...

Reactions: Schnelk
I will just point out stat to date based upon 2 official games. It is also without saying that trying to draw conclusions from 2 games is really not possible. However, these stats are a snapshot in time.

Romeo is shooting 14.3% from the 3-pt line. He averaged approximately 35% through his HS career and now faces a greater distance and better athletes defending him. I am confident that when the season is over his 3 pt percentage is lower than his HS number. I have maintained it will be in the 31-32% range.

Time will see of I am right. As Twain stated: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."

I will just point out stat to date based upon 2 official games. It is also without saying that trying to draw conclusions from 2 games is really not possible. However, these stats are a snapshot in time.

Romeo is shooting 14.3% from the 3-pt line. He averaged approximately 35% through his HS career and now faces a greater distance and better athletes defending him. I am confident that when the season is over his 3 pt percentage is lower than his HS number. I have maintained it will be in the 31-32% range.

Time will see of I am right. As Twain stated: "Prediction is difficult, especially about the future."
Robert Phinisee averaged 36% from 3 in high school just like Romeo, and he is currently shooting 60% from 3 against the same length increase.

You are correct, you cant make a judgement off two games. Both the players I mentioned will likely be around 36% when all is said and done IMO.

Why are you even here?

Reactions: Purdue0034
Romeo is averaging 14 points a game against two of the worst division one teams. He will have a very hard time scoring against eastern

He also sat down with 10 minutes left in the game because Indiana was up 40. I honestly don't care how much he scores as long as he takes the opportunities that are there. He's an unselfish player that doesn't force things. That's what makes a good teammate. He'll do what he needs to do to help the team win, whether it surpasses your made up expectations of what he should score or not.

He also sat down with 10 minutes left in the game because Indiana was up 40. I honestly don't care how much he scores as long as he takes the opportunities that are there. He's an unselfish player that doesn't force things. That's what makes a good teammate. He'll do what he needs to do to help the team win, whether it surpasses your made up expectations of what he should score or not.
Painter didn’t recruit Romeo because they didn’t want him.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Why are there so many Iu people here needing our approval on things? I just don't get why you all are so obsessed with what we say here. Don't you have your own forum to go circle jerk each other?

I mean seriously, you're only fueling the stigma you all have of being unintelligent hicks.

Why are there so many Iu people here needing our approval on things? I just don't get why you all are so obsessed with what we say here. Don't you have your own forum to go circle jerk each other?

I mean seriously, you're only fueling the stigma you all have of being unintelligent hicks.
I don't think the few that come here are representative of the whole IU fan base, but they are fairly representative of those that post on the IU free board. They have this need to tell us how great they are "going to be", long before the game is played. I think it is a deep seated inferiority complex.

You see them in other threads, concerned that someone here used hyperbole that might not be true. They make up a new identity just to make sure we know that one of our players is not "the greatest defensive player who ever played at Purdue", but gladly tell us that Romeo is the "greatest player ever out of Indiana". It's kind of funny in a pathos type of humor. Just fun stuff on a snowy Tuesday.

:cool:

Lol don’t put Swannigan on that list. Smh.

But I agree. Romeo is good, but you won’t hear me calling him the best ever out of IN. That’s not nearly as ridiculous as calling a player the “best defensive player I’ve ever seen” after shutting out a Ball St player for half a game, though. Romeo could have broken the scoring record if he tried to get his. Had one of the most prolific H.S. careers... how that translates to college TBD.

Hell Kramer was the best defender Purdue has had in recent memory. No question.
Can't let this go without a response. One thing you can't say is that Eastern is not an elite defender; because he definitely is. If you knew anything about him you would have to agree. I watched him all of last season and then against Ball State and he has continued to get better and better it seems on the defensive end of the ball. He shut down Tony Carr with ease last year. Carr was drafted No. 51 in the NBA draft; so he is pretty decent. Eastern owned him.
Will he be Purdue's best ever, time will tell, but he definitely is a good candidate; he is just getting started. We all know Kramer was a great defender; so Eastern will have to be pretty elite to pass him but time will tell. How about you come back at the end of the year and we will see just how well our guy has done. I suspect that if Eastern gets accolades at the end of the year for his defensive play it will be crickets from you! :D

It's like clockwork. They win a game, they need to let us know and see if they can gain our approval. Some are here because they admit their free board is filled with... um... let's just say, people who couldn't find IU's campus but easily find the Wild Turkey at their local liquor store. And these are the same people who rush over here to tell us what "they" accomplished after an IU win.

Reactions: mathboy
Can't let this go without a response. One thing you can't say is that Eastern is not an elite defender; because he definitely is. If you knew anything about him you would have to agree. I watched him all of last season and then against Ball State and he has continued to get better and better it seems on the defensive end of the ball. He shut down Tony Carr with ease last year. Carr was drafted No. 51 in the NBA draft; so he is pretty decent. Eastern owned him.
Will he be Purdue's best ever, time will tell, but he definitely is a good candidate; he is just getting started. We all know Kramer was a great defender; so Eastern will have to be pretty elite to pass him but time will tell. How about you come back at the end of the year and we will see just how well our guy has done. I suspect that if Eastern gets accolades at the end of the year for his defensive play it will be crickets from you! :D
I will say that the defense he played in that 2nd half was downright intimidating. Persons couldn't get rid of the ball fast enough when Nojel closed on him. After Persons scored at will in the first half, I found myself just watching that match-up and how dominating Eastern was in the 2nd half. And he was aggressive, but without contact. The icing on the cake was how his offense lit up, too.

He’s not a proven elite defender. Woah look, I said it. You have nothing but a half of a game against BALL STATE to prove someone’s ELITE.... lmao

Can’t wait for him to win DPOY

They have all of last season. Now shut up and go back to the Hoosier free board (I'm an IU fan).
Not sure I paid attention to your handle before. Are you a New Castle Trojan? IF so..any chance you knew the Barr family?

New Castle, yes. I know a Barr around my age. I'm 25 and she would be 22.
Probably a relative. Three (4??) of the Barr's played football at Purdue I believe. Three I know did...However the youngest of the three I can recall was at Purdue in the late 70's (Jim) and I think one coached at SMU (Chris? 76) around that time as well and Phil that I know in 76? Barr in New Castle is probably related. Seems like there was a Tom, but I'm not certain on the fourth

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
Probably a relative. Three (4??) of the Barr's played football at Purdue I believe. Three I know did...However the youngest of the three I can recall was at Purdue in the late 70's (Jim) and I think one coached at SMU (Chris? 76) around that time as well and Phil that I know in 76? Barr in New Castle is probably related. Seems like there was a Tom, but I'm not certain on the fourth
That I'm not sure. The only Barr I know would be one of their daughters.

ADVERTISEMENT