ADVERTISEMENT

Early enrollment

We all know about students who can dual enroll in college classes as a high school student. I know some students who have completed 30+ college semester hours before they graduated high school. Is there a lawyer in the house who could clarify if this act would also qualify as an early enrollment?

We all know about students who can dual enroll in college classes as a high school student. I know some students who have completed 30+ college semester hours before they graduated high school. Is there a lawyer in the house who could clarify if this act would also qualify as an early enrollment?
Why does this matter?

It does not. The student has to be physically on campus and being enrolled as a student. High school students are not fully enrolled as a student and do not have a physical presence on campus. Being that your eligibility for college athletics starts upon your graduation from high school, it is impossible to complete dual credit courses and burn your eligibility.

Not unless they were actually enrolled at Purdue. Early enrollment for football refers to enrollment in the spring semester prior to the freshman season. This is significant because it allows the early enrollee to participate in and be added to the roster for spring practice. This is why enrollment in the summer sessions (which most Freshmen do) is NOT considered to be early enrollment The term has nothing to do with academic progress other than the fact that they need to be a full time student to be included on the roster.

FYI -- The NCAA rules apply to athletic eligibility and governance only. Academic related considerations (other than meeting designated NCAA minimum requirements) are not intended to be part of the NCAA governance. Therefore, try not to mix academic concepts with athletic where avoidable. It will be far less confusing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT