ADVERTISEMENT

Duke

paintball1979

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 13, 2008
Im as tired as the next guy with hearing about Duke, but they went into Chapel Hill and stole one basically playing 5 guys. This was a up and down the court high intensity game and Duke made play after play in the end with guys that had to be tired.
I thought Purdue showed grit in the end against MSU. We are going to have to equal and or surpass that kind of effort from here on out. Teams are out for blood and we better understand that anything less than all out effort, you are going to get smoked.
You can slaughter me all you want, but I think this Purdue team has a tendency to play a little soft and unless that changes I don't think we are going to get the results we all want.

The players themselves admitted the loss to Michigan was in large part due to a lack of effort late in the 2nd half.

I highly doubt and hope that won't be the case against our biggest rival on Saturday.

I really think we can go down there, steal a win, and give ourselves a strong opportunity for a top 4 seed and a really outside shot at a share of the big ten title.

The problem I have seen is that it isn't just a one game or streak of game issue (like MSU had for 3-4 games). The lack of effort and focus in the second half has been a problem throughout the entire season. To me, that means it is an inherent problem with the team this year. Some years, it's turnovers. Some years it is bad free throw shooting. This year, its a lack of 2nd half effort and focus.

Reactions: BAMD2323
Im as tired as the next guy with hearing about Duke, but they went into Chapel Hill and stole one basically playing 5 guys. This was a up and down the court high intensity game and Duke made play after play in the end with guys that had to be tired.
I thought Purdue showed grit in the end against MSU. We are going to have to equal and or surpass that kind of effort from here on out. Teams are out for blood and we better understand that anything less than all out effort, you are going to get smoked.
You can slaughter me all you want, but I think this Purdue team has a tendency to play a little soft and unless that changes I don't think we are going to get the results we all want.

I think you are right on target with what you are saying. There is a huge difference between your observation and some of the chicken little comments other have made.

:cool:

I think this may take care of itself next season. AJH for all his ability seems to shy from the role of team leader and is not a rah-rah guy. RD is a great intense defensive player with occasional glimpses of offensive ability but is also not an inspirational on-the- floor leader. I appreciate all they do for the team but they also set the tone for the rest of team and just don't have a strong spark when needed. Haas, Cline, Mathias and from brief glimpses, Taylor, seem to be more demonstrative and at present defer to the senior leaders. We are getting a seemingly very good guard in Edwards next year and will have an often unmentioned forward that has been on redshirt this year with a world of talent. I think next year is much brighter than this year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I'm not really that impressed by Duke beating Carolina in that game. Do you know how little time Carolina spends in the gym? Roy Williams insists on academic excellence above all else. I'm sure the Tar Heels were way more fatigued than Duke after clocking all of those extra hours in the libraries and computer labs of Chapel Hill. Ole Roy puts the STUDENT in student-athlete!

I really think we can go down there, steal a win, and give ourselves a strong opportunity for a top 4 seed and a really outside shot at a share of the big ten title.
I wouldn't even say stealing a win. We are better than iu and have been for some time. More like go down there and take care of business and AJH can slap Crean on the ass on the way out.

Reactions: rasrar
I hope Purdue shows they are better , maybe the refs will call Yogi for pushing off for a change and we get 3 non biased refs

I think this may take care of itself next season. AJH for all his ability seems to shy from the role of team leader and is not a rah-rah guy. RD is a great intense defensive player with occasional glimpses of offensive ability but is also not an inspirational on-the- floor leader. I appreciate all they do for the team but they also set the tone for the rest of team and just don't have a strong spark when needed. Haas, Cline, Mathias and from brief glimpses, Taylor, seem to be more demonstrative and at present defer to the senior leaders. We are getting a seemingly very good guard in Edwards next year and will have an often unmentioned forward that has been on redshirt this year with a world of talent. I think next year is much brighter than this year.

Davis is an on-the-floor leader. Is it just the inspiration aspect that you think he lacks?

Davis is an on-the-floor leader. Is it just the inspiration aspect that you think he lacks?
Yep. He leads through his actions but is so dedicated to what he is trying to do that it doesn't often spill over to others.

I won't slaughter you for that assessment. I think it is fair to say that some of our players are not always 'out for blood' so to speak. But I'm not holding my breath on that suddenly changing either.
One thing I have observed about this younger generation is they are much more okay with losing than my generation (gen X). Chalk it up to growing up with participation trophies or whatever you want. But it is hard nowdays to find that stone cold killer, winner-take-all mentality, and you can't instill it in someone if they don't have it by a certain age. I sense from reading this board that many like me absolutely hate to lose. I just don't think many of these players today feel that way and it is really hard for us as fans to swallow.

Yep. He leads through his actions but is so dedicated to what he is trying to do that it doesn't often spill over to others.

This statement does not make logical sense. Being overly dedicated does not usually result in failing to inspire others. Also, 99% of Davis' leadership roles would be at practices, teams meetings, etc. - things that the average fan does not have access to, so I don't think some of these statements are fair without more information.

This statement does not make logical sense. Being overly dedicated does not usually result in failing to inspire others. Also, 99% of Davis' leadership roles would be at practices, teams meetings, etc. - things that the average fan does not have access to, so I don't think some of these statements are fair without more information.
When is that last time you've read something on here that makes "logical" sense???
I'm talking "in game" leadership. I'm sure he's a great leader in practice. The problem is "in the game, on the floor". Our practices are obviously intense. Now how do we carry that over to the game? We're not. Something is lacking. I think it's "demonstrative" leadership.

When is that last time you've read something on here that makes "logical" sense???
I'm talking "in game" leadership. I'm sure he's a great leader in practice. The problem is "in the game, on the floor". Our practices are obviously intense. Now how do we carry that over to the game? We're not. Something is lacking. I think it's "demonstrative" leadership.
And I say again .... you can't use logic to talk someone out of an emotionally based opinion.

I won't slaughter you for that assessment. I think it is fair to say that some of our players are not always 'out for blood' so to speak. But I'm not holding my breath on that suddenly changing either.
One thing I have observed about this younger generation is they are much more okay with losing than my generation (gen X). Chalk it up to growing up with participation trophies or whatever you want. But it is hard nowdays to find that stone cold killer, winner-take-all mentality, and you can't instill it in someone if they don't have it by a certain age. I sense from reading this board that many like me absolutely hate to lose. I just don't think many of these players today feel that way and it is really hard for us as fans to swallow.
I think what you are saying has a lot to do with the way the kids of today grow up in just one sport. If you look at a kid like RD, how many games do you think he has played in his life? Tons I would guess. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe for a second that our players don't care about winning. I am saying that they have all won and lost a lot of game in their careers. My son is an elite level youth soccer player and has played over 100 matches in the last three years against the best completion the Southern states have to offer. They win a lot, but also lose every now and then. I have seen a difference in my kid over the years. 6-12 years old = tears of pain after every loss. 12-14 = shrugs and not much talk after a loss. It has to have something to do with the amount of games being played these days. He still hates to lose, but the losses don't seem to mean as much.

Reactions: PUBV
I hate Duke, but always more happy to see Boy Roy lose. He's a cheater.

I'm 53 y/o old I gotta say this generational argument is the silliest crap going! Guess what, every generation thinks the one that follows is defecient is some capacity. I know I'm tougher than these young'ens, they didn't have to walk to school 3 miles a day uphill both ways like I did!

I'm 53 y/o old I gotta say this generational argument is the silliest crap going! Guess what, every generation thinks the one that follows is defecient is some capacity. I know I'm tougher than these young'ens, they didn't have to walk to school 3 miles a day uphill both ways like I did!
I'm 62, is that all you had to do??? Geez, what an easy life you had ....

I'm 62, is that all you had to do??? Geez, what an easy life you had ....
Well, I was also waterboy, and by waterboy I mean I carried water from the crick in 2 large pails on a stick...uphill both ways, fending off wolves....

Well, I was also waterboy, and by waterboy I mean I carried water from the crick in 2 large pails on a stick...uphill both ways, fending off wolves....
We raised wolves to protect ourselves from the Sasquatch family living in our woods , and school was to the south, so we walked the same three miles as you, but into howling 35mph winds gusting to 60 with blowing snow and ice until Easter. It was uphill on the way home and the winds always stopped about 2:30pm. I always wished we could afford shoes.

And I'm done hijacking this thread.

Reactions: PUBV
We raised wolves to protect ourselves from the Sasquatch family living in our woods , and school was to the south, so we walked the same three miles as you, but into howling 35mph winds gusting to 60 with blowing snow and ice until Easter. It was uphill on the way home and the winds always stopped about 2:30pm. I always wished we could afford shoes.

And I'm done hijacking this thread.
Is that all you've got. Back in my day we fought off dinosaurs to get to the woods to take a crap.

Reactions: nagemj02
Is that all you've got. Back in my day we fought off dinosaurs to get to the woods to take a crap.
my Mom made our socks from the lint balls collected from our belly buttons
download.php

Professor Emeritus...you forgot the "TIC' after your post. That's UNC where the largest academic fraud case in history lives that the NCAA forgot!

I'm not really that impressed by Duke beating Carolina in that game. Do you know how little time Carolina spends in the gym? Roy Williams insists on academic excellence above all else. I'm sure the Tar Heels were way more fatigued than Duke after clocking all of those extra hours in the libraries and computer labs of Chapel Hill. Ole Roy puts the STUDENT in student-athlete!

It's bound to take a lot of time going in circles looking for classes that don't exist.

I don't know if coach can teach players to have "strong heart and spirit", because most people are just born with it.

I think what you are saying has a lot to do with the way the kids of today grow up in just one sport. If you look at a kid like RD, how many games do you think he has played in his life? Tons I would guess. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe for a second that our players don't care about winning. I am saying that they have all won and lost a lot of game in their careers. My son is an elite level youth soccer player and has played over 100 matches in the last three years against the best completion the Southern states have to offer. They win a lot, but also lose every now and then. I have seen a difference in my kid over the years. 6-12 years old = tears of pain after every loss. 12-14 = shrugs and not much talk after a loss. It has to have something to do with the amount of games being played these days. He still hates to lose, but the losses don't seem to mean as much.
Good stuff. There is certainly a wide spectrum of competitiveness. We've all heard the stories of great competitors hating to lose even in "friendly" or charity games. There's Pete Rose going hard into home plate during an all star game. But if I am someone who is not hyper competitive to begin with and have played hundreds of competitive games at various levels growing up, by the time I get to college of what great importance is any single game? And if I have worn many different uniforms, what is my school but another stepping stone on my journey? Might be some truth to that mindset.

Let's all just hope whatever the case with this team they bring their absolute best when chips are on the table in a lose and go home scenario.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT