ADVERTISEMENT

Drums are Sounding Loud for Transfer Portal Windows

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
to be established asap by the NCAA from Head Coaches across the country! They are sick of the mess it plays with establishing Recruiting numbers to stay at the scholarship limit!

Reactions: Indy_Rider
A window makes sense as does the elimination or expansion of 25 scholarship limit. When a team loses 20% of its roster in a week they need to be able to replace them.

Reactions: JHetfield99
A window makes sense as does the elimination or expansion of 25 scholarship limit. When a team loses 20% of its roster in a week they need to be able to replace them.
If anything, I think you’ll see the scholarship limit reduce somewhat. Fewer ‘ships saves money and serves as a brake for anyone who thinks they can leave for a new start whenever they run into adversity or just decide to start fresh. Either that or there will be a portal limit imposed, with any school restricted as to the number of portal players they can accept in a given year.

If anything, I think you’ll see the scholarship limit reduce somewhat. Fewer ‘ships saves money and serves as a brake for anyone who thinks they can leave for a new start whenever they run into adversity or just decide to start fresh. Either that or there will be a portal limit imposed, with any school restricted as to the number of portal players they can accept in a given year.

I don't know if that'll put the brakes on. Did something like 1/3 of all of those D1-A football players that entered the portal not fin a home. If stark figueres like that aren't slowing them down, I do not think reducing the scholarships by a few will either.

Reactions: Bippus33
The limits don't need to be adjusted for the schools who are portal shopping but for the schools who will be losing a sizeable chunk of their team to the portal every year. If you are at 85 schollies and graduate 18 seniors, lose 8 to the portal, and 4 others to attrition, then you need an influx of 30 new scholarship players just to get back to 85. A 25 yearly cap isn't enough in this new paradigm.

I heard yesterday on a Ky sports radio show. That NCAA thinking about undoing the set limit on coaches and players scholarship.

That way the college can paid for how many they want with no set limit.

They altered the initial qualifier rule (25 schollies) to account for attrition. I think it can go up to 32 now

I don't know if that'll put the brakes on. Did something like 1/3 of all of those D1-A football players that entered the portal not fin a home. If stark figueres like that aren't slowing them down, I do not think reducing the scholarships by a few will either.
I don’t believe any of the players knew of those numbers in real time, though I’m sure a few of them realized at some point that their movements weren’t going to produce the desired results. The NCAA never intended for the mass transfers we’ve seen, and they’ll try to figure out a way to reduce / limit them in the future. Reducing overall scholarships is one way, as is reducing the number of incoming portal players. They’ll find a way to slow this down though.

Reactions: ghostoffatjack
ADVERTISEMENT