ADVERTISEMENT

Drew

Will always be a huge Brees fan and he did great today. That being said, I cringe that he is a part of that broadcast team. For a Purdue fan it is like Gene Keady doing color on IU radio broadcasts.

Tirico is Dick. That is all.
Drew? Drew who?

Brees is dead to me.

DEAD.

And how short is Tirico anyways?
Drew is 5’11” - and towered over him in the booth…

Drew is getting paid by the ND network to do ND games. You think he is allowed to just gush all over their opponent? Look what a guy like Flutie or the USC Haden guy had to do for years. You'd think they were tried and true ND guys. That's just the way NBC rolls. Given that I thought it was ballsy for Drew to make the comment about the PI noncall. Something like, "well that normally would draw a flag, but for SOME reason it didn't in this case."

This is likely a stepping stone job for him and provides him an opportunity to do something he enjoys - talking about football. That's what pros do, you do the job.

Also, I must have missed a comment by Tirico. I respect the fact that Tirico and Drew were on campus in W/L talking to players and coaches during the week. Tirico has always struck me as a pro's pro in the business. But then again, I have respect for guys like Joe Buck who can cover a lot of ground and aren't just your typical one track homer announcer.

Last edited:
Drew is getting paid by the ND network to do ND games. You think he is allowed to just gush all over their opponent? Look what a guy like Flutie or the USC Haden guy had to do for years. You'd think they were tried and true ND guys. That's just the way NBC rolls. Given that I thought it was ballsy for Drew to make the comment about the PI noncall. Something like, "well that normally would draw a flag, but for SOME reason it didn't in this case."

This is likely a stepping stone job for him and provides him an opportunity to do something he enjoys - talking about football. That's what pros do, you do the job.

Also, I must have missed a comment by Tirico. I respect the fact that Tirico and Drew were on campus in W/L talking to players and coaches during the week. Tirico has always struck me as a pro's pro in the business. But then again, I have respect for guys like Joe Buck who can cover a lot of ground and aren't just your typical one track homer announcer.
I never thought I’d say this but the things people are mad about this week are pretty bizarre lol

I never thought I’d say this but the things people are mad about this week are pretty bizarre lol
Fans just aren't rational. That's what I have to keep telling myself. We could lose a game to Alabama in which they were 21 point favorites and people who predicted we would go 6-6 would be on here acting like it was a shocker. I get the real-time emoting in a game thread. But the gnashing of teeth 2 days later.. :rolleyes:

Fans just aren't rational. That's what I have to keep telling myself. We could lose a game to Alabama in which they were 21 point favorites and people who predicted we would go 6-6 would be on here acting like it was a shocker. I get the real-time emoting in a game thread. But the gnashing of teeth 2 days later.. :rolleyes:
My approach is more to lay out all potential negatives before the year, be pleasantly surprised if we are better than I thought, but also remain even keeled if we are right about where I thought.

if someone predicted 6-6 and then they were mad about this game, that’s just moronic.

I myself will be irate if we lose to Illinois, unless it’s obvious that bells absence is the reason why.. if he’s indeed absent. There’s no one else we will lose to, so long as we put up a fight, where I will be ticked off other than maybe northwestern..

So long as brohm does the same makeover on the OL this off-season as he did with the D last offseason

Reactions: Level 42
Is this a joke?

if not, why is he dead to you?
Don't want to speak for Tommaker, but it may have to with Jacob Blake, the anthem, etc., and nothing to do with objectivity during the broadcast.

Brees seemed to do fairly well; was sped up a few times but I would imagine learning how to do color given the pace of the game, using the telestrator, having a producer in your ear, trying to be objective, and not talking over Tiricio is a lot to digest.

Speaking of Tirico, he is a hard-working professional and usually down the line, but I didn't care for his thinly-veiled snark about the drum situation throughout the afternoon.

I realize he is likely contractually prohibited from thinking about criticizing Notre Dame, but he shouldn't have fed into their pettiness, which tarnished the pageantry of college football in general, and the traditions of the rivalry in particular.

Reactions: Inspector100
My approach is more to lay out all potential negatives before the year, be pleasantly surprised if we are better than I thought, but also remain even keeled if we are right about where I thought.

if someone predicted 6-6 and then they were mad about this game, that’s just moronic.

I myself will be irate if we lose to Illinois, unless it’s obvious that bells absence is the reason why.. if he’s indeed absent. There’s no one else we will lose to, so long as we put up a fight, where I will be ticked off other than maybe northwestern..

So long as brohm does the same makeover on the OL this off-season as he did with the D last offseason
He has tried each season to improve the OL talent. Some of his better OL recruits got career ending injuries. Some of the transfer targets go elsewhere. He went after the local IU kid who transferred to Iowa. And some are just downright flakey - TJ Storment, anyone??

What I would like to see ideally is more transfers from P5 programs. Guys who are buried in the depth of a really good OL. Like a junior for Ohio St who has a sophomore starting ahead of him. Is there any way to start putting feelers out on guys like that? You know other programs are doing it. I'm sure its covered by NIL somehow. :D

Reactions: pboiler18
He has tried each season to improve the OL talent. Some of his better OL recruits got career ending injuries. Some of the transfer targets go elsewhere. He went after the local IU kid who transferred to Iowa. And some are just downright flakey - TJ Storment, anyone??

What I would like to see ideally is more transfers from P5 programs. Guys who are buried in the depth of a really good OL. Like a junior for Ohio St who has a sophomore starting ahead of him. Is there any way to start putting feelers out on guys like that? You know other programs are doing it. I'm sure its covered by NIL somehow. :D
would have been nice to get that OL transfer ( Jacoby) from osu that we recruited pretty hard who chose Pitt which just lost to WMU this past weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT