ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's a complete waste of time. She's keeps moving her kid around and treating him like a paycheck. This probably won't end well for this kid. Personally, I think he's getting bad advice. I do think he should've taken all his visits before committing anywhere. This is exactly our society today though....zero commitment.

Yeah Purdue dodged a bullet alright...
rSDWOFy.jpg
xdjCbR7.jpg
4mXjKb2.jpg
HQFSq7v.jpg

Reactions: purduepat1969
Taking her rant at face value, what do you think she means? It sounds like something Painter said cut into her. She calls him all kinds of names. I know Painter is a man of his word, and he can be critical of people who are duplicitous, people who break their word or double deal. Those of us who know Matt or at least know of him, would recognize that she is spouting some really false information.

So where does this come from? I like to see the entomology of people's opinions. Was Painter a victim of negative recruiting? Did some handlers get involved and push the kid away from Purdue since his commitment was already a 'done thing', and their involvement was then limited? Anybody got any further perspective than the mother was crazy?

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Wow, that’s the kind of rant that you would see on Peegs. I hope they find some peace.

Taking her rant at face value, what do you think she means? It sounds like something Painter said cut into her. She calls him all kinds of names. I know Painter is a man of his word, and he can be critical of people who are duplicitous, people who break their word or double deal. Those of us who know Matt or at least know of him, would recognize that she is spouting some really false information.

So where does this come from? I like to see the entomology of people's opinions. Was Painter a victim of negative recruiting? Did some handlers get involved and push the kid away from Purdue since his commitment was already a 'done thing', and their involvement was then limited? Anybody got any further perspective than the mother was crazy?
She makes a former player Mom seem stable...

Purdue dodged a bullet...talented kid, but, really poor influences around him (as evidenced here).

The commitment to Illinois is odd, but, his entire recruitment has been...he is as likely to honor it as he is to decommit in a month...the kid has bounced around repeatedly...it is a pattern...and, all in search of attention and acclaim.

The little that I know or have heard, it was a case of handlers not wanting him at Purdue...some of his own ego getting tapped into...some negative recruiting that you alluded to...and, ultimately, him/them more worried about him being showcased than anything else (which, aligns with Underwood taking a shot at Painter regarding Ivey, but, with all of the guys he has brought in, hard to believe that he could promise him what he seemingly wanted (or, can deliver on it if he did).

She makes a former player Mom seem stable...

Purdue dodged a bullet...talented kid, but, really poor influences around him (as evidenced here).

The commitment to Illinois is odd, but, his entire recruitment has been...he is as likely to honor it as he is to decommit in a month...the kid has bounced around repeatedly...it is a pattern...and, all in search of attention and acclaim.

The little that I know or have heard, it was a case of handlers not wanting him at Purdue...some of his own ego getting tapped into...some negative recruiting that you alluded to...and, ultimately, him/them more worried about him being showcased than anything else (which, aligns with Underwood taking a shot at Painter regarding Ivey, but, with all of the guys he has brought in, hard to believe that he could promise him what he seemingly wanted (or, can deliver on it if he did).
Negative recruiting is a typical sleazy sales pitch. He's been dealing with handlers for some time. Look what he did at Ok. State got them punished. He's perfect for the course on how to cheat or steer kids to a handler.

It would be interesting to hear Painters take about all this later down the road but in the meantime I don’t even need to know the whole story to take Painters side after reading those comments from his mother lol. Not sure what Dre’s relationship is with his mother but he should be extremely embarrassed of her expressing her feelings like that on social media…and if he wasn’t it just shows you his own character.
Is he talented? Yes! Does Purdue need him? No! Let him keep sailing on that misguided ship and see where it gets him!

It would be interesting to hear Painters take about all this later down the road but in the meantime I don’t even need to know the whole story to take Painters side after reading those comments from his mother lol. Not sure what Dre’s relationship is with his mother but he should be extremely embarrassed of her expressing her feelings like that on social media…and if he wasn’t it just shows you his own character.
Is he talented? Yes! Does Purdue need him? No! Let him keep sailing on that misguided ship and see where it gets him!
Painter will never address it.

Painter will never address it.
I know but I’m just referring to in a few years on a podcast or something on why he decommitted not nothing about his mothers crap! His mother sure wanted the world know it was Painters fault her son walked though.

Wow, that’s the kind of rant that you would see on Peegs. I hope they find some peace.
This situation had Ronnie Johnson written all over it.

I have to think that the kid is different/better, as, I can't even see Painter getting involved...much less offering...if that were not the case.

Reactions: TX4GB
So if DGL’s mom is a psycho, what’s the excuse for missing on Pack? Sorta seems like all the good guards realize that Painter’s system is terrible for lead guards. Hell, the talk in college basketball is that he held Ivey back and that’s why none of these kids want to have to play for him, feeding the post 40 times a night
What is Underwood’s excuse for his players hating playing for him? Does any school have more players transfer out than Illinois?

Your coach is 58 and has accomplished pretty much nothing.

I wouldn’t read much into the ranting of a methhead.

I am a Facebook poster! I read and reviewed her posts for the past 9 months to see if something bad happened. His mom has some issues I don’t usually see posted publicly by a mother of a basketball recruit. Obviously somebody said something to her or about her. Perhaps something was said behind her back. Perhaps another coach or player said sighing to her about Painter. I’m not positive when his actual decommit decision was. But she was posting pictures of him going to Illinois at least 4-6 months ago. I doubt this was a NIL decision. I think she just wanted her son to go to Illinois all along. Illinois is not a bad school. Their coach is not a bad coach. I doubt their coach would say anything bad about Painter. However, I think it’s possible she may have talked to the parents of a couple of players who left Purdue or maybe some handlers or players painter recruited. We read a lot of posts by Eastern’s mom talking about how Izzo lied to her son. When he coached at SIU, Painter lived next door to my church’s minister in Carterville, IL. Painter is a very straight forward but also honest and boring guy. I can believe Painter telling her son he’d have to compete and nothing is guaranteed! That’s probably not what he wanted to hear. He may have even discussed red shirting. I can’t believe he would lie to her son. And I highly doubt Painter would ever talk to anyone about a recruit’s family or mother. Maybe she’s afraid her son would redshirt at Purdue! Or maybe she’s afraid her son would never be showcased.

judging by her Facebook posts over the last year, it’s obvious she has emotional issues. Maybe somebody told her to tone down her public Facebook posts. She doesn’t seem to be a typical mom of a college athlete! It’s obvious she has formed an opinion about Painter. Maybe it was about the sexual case she posted a link to on her Facebook page. Maybe the link said something about Painter. I will say I believe what she learned didn’t come from the Illinois head coach.

It appears Brian made some comment using the term unstable in a write up or something. His mom put that word in quotes a couple of times and then made a short video saying would you rather be unstable or ignorant. It looks like she posted giving her finger to the world on the day he decommited. And she called Brian an idiot saying she will prove him wrong!

I am a Facebook poster! I read and reviewed her posts for the past 9 months to see if something bad happened. His mom has some issues I don’t usually see posted publicly by a mother of a basketball recruit. Obviously somebody said something to her or about her. Perhaps something was said behind her back. Perhaps another coach or player said sighing to her about Painter. I’m not positive when his actual decommit decision was. But she was posting pictures of him going to Illinois at least 4-6 months ago. I doubt this was a NIL decision. I think she just wanted her son to go to Illinois all along. Illinois is not a bad school. Their coach is not a bad coach. I doubt their coach would say anything bad about Painter. However, I think it’s possible she may have talked to the parents of a couple of players who left Purdue or maybe some handlers or players painter recruited. We read a lot of posts by Eastern’s mom talking about how Izzo lied to her son. When he coached at SIU, Painter lived next door to my church’s minister in Carterville, IL. Painter is a very straight forward but also honest and boring guy. I can believe Painter telling her son he’d have to compete and nothing is guaranteed! That’s probably not what he wanted to hear. He may have even discussed red shirting. I can’t believe he would lie to her son. And I highly doubt Painter would ever talk to anyone about a recruit’s family or mother. Maybe she’s afraid her son would redshirt at Purdue! Or maybe she’s afraid her son would never be showcased.

judging by her Facebook posts over the last year, it’s obvious she has emotional issues. Maybe somebody told her to tone down her public Facebook posts. She doesn’t seem to be a typical mom of a college athlete! It’s obvious she has formed an opinion about Painter. Maybe it was about the sexual case she posted a link to on her Facebook page. Maybe the link said something about Painter. I will say I believe what she learned didn’t come from the Illinois head coach.

Painter is not boring... you have never talked to Painter I take it? Or seen him interact with other coaches?

Painter is not boring... you have never talked to Painter I take it? Or seen him interact with other coaches?
At the risk of a certain poster calling me a certain name, My son played AAU basketball. So, I met coach painter at a few tournaments. When he was coach at SIU, he lived next to our church parsonage! He mowed his yard, didn’t have wild parties, went to bed early and never required the police to settle any domestic disputes. He lived a boring lifestyle. I’ve listened to and watched his press conferences . He sticks to one subject. He never talks bad about anybody even when it’s obvious he’s pissed off. He could have said volumes about eastern and his mom’s antics. He said nothing and wished him well. I guess if you breath and live basketball 24/7, he’s an interesting person. He’s very animated during a game. But in person when not talking basketball, he’s basically very laid back and a rather boring person. He doesn’t swear. He’s clean cut and professional. He’s a family guy. He doesn’t drink and drive! He’s no Bobby Knight! He’s also no Alice Cooper! That’s not a bad thing!

At the risk of a certain poster calling me a certain name, My son played AAU basketball. So, I met coach painter at a few tournaments. When he was coach at SIU, he lived next to our church parsonage! He mowed his yard, didn’t have wild parties, went to bed early and never required the police to settle any domestic disputes. He lived a boring lifestyle. I’ve listened to and watched his press conferences . He sticks to one subject. He never talks bad about anybody even when it’s obvious he’s pissed off. He could have said volumes about eastern and his mom’s antics. He said nothing and wished him well. I guess if you breath and live basketball 24/7, he’s an interesting person. He’s very animated during a game. But in person when not talking basketball, he’s basically very laid back and a rather boring person. He doesn’t swear. He’s clean cut and professional. He’s a family guy. He doesn’t drink and drive! He’s no Bobby Knight! He’s also no Alice Cooper! That’s not a bad thing!
Again, you are wrong. If you knew Painter you’d know he’s been known to cuss like a drunken sailor at times, especially in practice. In fact, one of the reasons given by a well-known recruit from IN who has had a long NBA career as to why he did not choose Purdue was because Painter cursed too much for the player’s and his family’s liking.

You also gloss over the fact that Painter had an affair with a student at Purdue (perhaps a cheerleader) and his first wife divorced him over it.

Like everyone else in this life, Painter is no Saint but he’s also matured a lot from his younger days.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Two thoughts.
1) If he isn't one and done I expect him to play for at least 3 different schools.
2) We may have missed out on a more colorful TReed.

my main issue was with you saying the kid "would never succeed in life" that's unnecessary and unbecoming.
Also facebook. Oof.
He won’t. He runs at every sign on a controversy. He’s on his 7th school since middle school. He’s changed AAU teams countless times. He is already in his second college commitment.

Not really his fault since it’s his parents that have instilled this in him, but yeah the future isn’t bright.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
He won’t. He runs at every sign on a controversy. He’s on his 7th school since middle school. He’s changed AAU teams countless times. He is already in his second college commitment.

Not really his fault since it’s his parents that have instilled this in him, but yeah the future isn’t bright.
True, nobody has ever changed as a person after age 17. He's doomed.

She's batshit crazy. Go look at her FB page...

I have lots of thoughts on this situation, but will take the high road. At the end of the day this is a 17 y/o kid and I hope he finds his way and is successful in life. This thread probably needs zapped.

If someone used my image or name to make money for themselves, I would feel cheated. I have no issue with the NIL as long as it reflects a reasonable income that could be expected from the use of the NIL. That is not being "paid like a man". Payment for the labor or work done by the individual is a bit different than getting some sort of "royalty" from your name or image. On the other hand, when you play for an organization, that organization has NIL rights too, and those probably include the images of the players in the organizations uniform.

Okay, sorry for the rant.

As for young DGL, I hope he finds what his mother and he are looking for. I do wish she had taken the high road when it came to his de-commitment. I think her foul treatment of the university and the coach (both known for being fair and ethical) seems over the top. I could say that posters here are justified in joining her on that dirt road, but I really think we should refrain. Let us take that high road she didn't.

It is pretty clear, at least to me, that DGL is in a very unfortunate situation. His mother obviously has problems. That has likely manifested itself in his numerous changes to schools, AAU teams and collegiate commitments.

I hope for his sake and that of his family that things work out well for him. However, I have serious doubts that will be the case. Unstable family situations cause serious problems for the kids and things tend not to work out well for them. I believe that we here have direct evidence of that having experienced the harm caused to a player by having unrealistic expectations and pressure being placed on him as a potential savior for his family. That didn't happen and ended poorly.

If someone used my image or name to make money for themselves, I would feel cheated. I have no issue with the NIL as long as it reflects a reasonable income that could be expected from the use of the NIL. That is not being "paid like a man". Payment for the labor or work done by the individual is a bit different than getting some sort of "royalty" from your name or image. On the other hand, when you play for an organization, that organization has NIL rights too, and those probably include the images of the players in the organizations uniform.

Okay, sorry for the rant.

As for young DGL, I hope he finds what his mother and he are looking for. I do wish she had taken the high road when it came to his de-commitment. I think her foul treatment of the university and the coach (both known for being fair and ethical) seems over the top. I could say that posters here are justified in joining her on that dirt road, but I really think we should refrain. Let us take that high road she didn't.
Players aren't being paid for "Name, Image, Likeness". They're being paid by boosters to show up and play for a specific university whether you want to believe it or not. So if they get paid in excess of $800K in some cases, they become professional players. And at that point, they're not just innocent college kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT