ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing him sucks from a talent standpoint, but, this guy was not going to be a fit...and, that became clear unfortunately.

Purdue was a better team from a talent standpoint certainly, but, he is not a team guy...and, in reality, there is a chance that he would not have handled playing with Colvin well (despite them being individually ultra-talented).

There are some valid concerns with respect to recruiting...time will tell if it will persist...and, whether or not Purdue genuinely solves the NIL matter...or, can actually figure the portal out (in conjunction with NIL).
What makes you say he isn't a team guy? I don't know but it sounds like a lot of rationalizing on your part as to why he wouldn't have been a good fit, when in reality no one knows. What we do know though, is that he has a lot of talent in an area we desperately need it. And I'm not trying to get on you, because you're one of the very few posters here who can handle a differing opinion without turning into an overly emotional teenage girl, and immediately going to insults.

Reactions: DAG10
What makes you say he isn't a team guy? I don't know but it sounds like a lot of rationalizing on your part as to why he wouldn't have been a good fit, when in reality no one knows. What we do know though, is that he has a lot of talent in an area we desperately need it. And I'm not trying to get on you, because you're one of the very few posters here who can handle a differing opinion without turning into an overly emotional teenage girl, and immediately going to insults.
Fair point in that there is no way for me to genuinely know...it is just based on having seen him a few times...that he has bounced around as he has....that he committed ONLY because others had backed off, but, Painter/Purdue stuck with him...then he bailed as soon as he could...and, he is a guy that LOVES the spotlight...to the point that it appears on the surface at least that he loves it more than actually winning.

Again, no way to know it...just my impression and thoughts...that said, interesting that he went to Illinois with the guys that they have and are bringing in.

You are right though with respect to your "what we do know" piece above.

Fair point in that there is no way for me to genuinely know...it is just based on having seen him a few times...that he has bounced around as he has....that he committed ONLY because others had backed off, but, Painter/Purdue stuck with him...then he bailed as soon as he could...and, he is a guy that LOVES the spotlight...to the point that it appears on the surface at least that he loves it more than actually winning.

Again, no way to know it...just my impression and thoughts...that said, interesting that he went to Illinois with the guys that they have and are bringing in.

You are right though with respect to your "what we do know" piece above.
With regard to your last sentence, that's what makes this sting so much IMO. We just don't have the talent at guard to be able to afford these kinds of decommits. Was also upset when that kid from the east coast decided to follow Shrewsbury to penn state. If it was a front court player, I wouldn't even be concerned at all.

With regard to your last sentence, that's what makes this sting so much IMO. We just don't have the talent at guard to be able to afford these kinds of decommits. If it was a front court player, I wouldn't even be concerned at all.
And while I agree in general at least, I am disappointed about the thought of what he may have brought from a talent standpoint...but, far less disappointed about the actual individual/player moving on. Admittedly, I could be dead wrong on that...but, at the moment, that is just how I see it and feel.

I can't even think of the last legit premier PG that Purdue landed....they have had a lot of good guys/players certainly, but, it was a problem for Painter's predecessor, and, has been for Painter as well...and, as such, it has just become way more convenient to downplay the importance of the position, especially in either Coach's system...in reality, they both struggled to appeal to such a player...largely BECAUSE of their system.

All of that said...Guards are what matter, and, it is no coincidence that Purdue has generally been REALLY good when it has had a REALLY good guard...and, to your point, imagine how good they might be if they were somehow able to pair a couple of them. They almost did it with Colvin and Gibbs-Lawhorn...but, again, as much as it seemed like a great thing, I am not sure that it truly was/would have been the more I saw (and heard...and read) about the latter.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
With regard to your last sentence, that's what makes this sting so much IMO. We just don't have the talent at guard to be able to afford these kinds of decommits. Was also upset when that kid from the east coast decided to follow Shrewsbury to penn state. If it was a front court player, I wouldn't even be concerned at all.
DGL has talent. I think there is a significant pattern of him moving around the country looking for a home. When he was offered stability and a “home” he was quick to decommit and look for somewhere better. It’s his right to do so. Purdue fans are kind of over him.

I was excited about him. He had some upside with scoring and athleticism. Quick guy. Good handles. Good shot. Some negatives are that he’s thin. He’s had some issues with injury.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a few really good games in his freshman year. Then, he hits the portal or tries to go to the NBA. Honestly, he has some physical maturity to do. He probably won’t be really good until he’s in his 20’s and he won’t be playing for Illinois at that point.

Kids are a reflection of their parents. His mom is an illiterate cvnt. He has no place here and should have never been offered. He will never succeed at Illinois or in life in general.

Purdue has been to 4 of the last 5 S16's and consistently out recruited by number rankings by half of the B1G. When does the fan base start believing in their coach.

You do realize MSU has been to 2 S16'S in the last 7 tournaments. Wouldn't MSU apply to your logic? You sound like it's not about years prior, but where you are ranked this year.

If we get the NIL(which I'm not a fan) in the right place. I truly believe we are going to match our coaching ability and that should be competing for NC's. IMO

I said in an earlier post "I believe Painter is the best coach in the B1G".

That being said I may be one of the few who will say it but I believe last year was his worst coaching job outside of the whole Ronnie Johnson fiasco. Last year we had a top 5 draft choice and two or three other big time pieces and we won absolutely nothing other than a preseason tournament. The fact that our lowest ranking the entire year was the last poll taken prior to the NCAA Tournament and then losing to St Peters in the Sweet 16 indicates that Painter couldn't take the individual talent others thought he had and fit the pieces together to maximize the teams potential.

Painter will surprise people when he doesn't have elite talent. This team kind of has that feel. We really only have one guy who has proven himself to be a potential All B1G pick but I believe Painter will find a way to put the pieces together and make it work. That's kind of how I feel about the recruits coming in. Other than maybe Colvin, they don't seem to have star potential but they seem like the type of guys that Painter can work with to make us competitive in the B1G and make it to the tournament. I just don't see enough talent there to get us past a sweet sixteen.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If you’ve seen what she posted on Facebook about Purdue/Painter, you would say the same.
1. Facebook? Oof.
2. We've seen first hand the effects of bad advice from overbearing/borderline delusional parents here. Kid can't help that. No need to drag him as a failure just because he's listening to potentially harmful advice from those he loves and trusts.
3. Facebook? Oof.

1. Facebook? Oof.
2. We've seen first hand the effects of bad advice from overbearing/borderline delusional parents here. Kid can't help that. No need to drag him as a failure just because he's listening to potentially harmful advice from those he loves and trusts.
3. Facebook? Oof.
Very true. It has worked for us and against us.

I do see he has a history of moving. I don't think any of us would be surprised of a move eventually.

What did his mom say about Purdue / Painter that has ruffled feathers? Also, who cares? Doesn’t seem like it’s affected anyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders.

Reactions: Gemini95
I love how a Illinois turd is telling us what Purdue needs to do lol. How about Illinois win something or maybe beat us once first?
uh I mean we did win the Big Ten Title last season (granted it was a split with Wisconsin but still lol) and while you guys did sweep us last year, we won the 3 previous games against you guys before that so I really don't know what you are getting at.

As far as the talk of great success in the Big Dance, can't argue with that. Illinois has been either subpar or guilty of underachieving for quite some time now (you could make the case for all the BT teams in that regard considering a BT team hasn't won it all since 2000) TBH, only Izzo/MSU has had great success in the tourney over all these years.
Getting to the FF is hard af. Illinois had to have so many things go their way in 2005 just to get there. Purdue hasn't been to the FF since 1980. Both Keady and Painter have never been to the FF.

Hopefully that changes moving forward though. I love the addition of DGL and see little to no downside of adding more talent to an already reloaded roster.

uh I mean we did win the Big Ten Title last season (granted it was a split with Wisconsin but still lol) and while you guys did sweep us last year, we won the 3 previous games against you guys before that so I really don't know what you are getting at.

As far as the talk of great success in the Big Dance, can't argue with that. Illinois has been either subpar or guilty of underachieving for quite some time now (you could make the case for all the BT teams in that regard considering a BT team hasn't won it all since 2000) TBH, only Izzo/MSU has had great success in the tourney over all these years.
Getting to the FF is hard af. Illinois had to have so many things go their way in 2005 just to get there. Purdue hasn't been to the FF since 1980. Both Keady and Painter have never been to the FF.

Hopefully that changes moving forward though. I love the addition of DGL and see little to no downside of adding more talent to an already reloaded roster.
What said is patently false - Michigan under Belein and now Howard have had NCAAT success in the last 10-12 years. Michigan got close to winning a NC under Belein. One could argue that Michigan has had the most NCAAT success of all BIG teams in the last 10 years.

Reactions: DAG10
Kids are a reflection of their parents. His mom is an illiterate cvnt. He has no place here and should have never been offered. He will never succeed at Illinois or in life in general.
wow you definitely don't sound bitter at all jfc I couldn't imagine being a grown man calling some innocent 17 year old recruit's mom vile words like you just did then follow it up by doubling down by hoping he never succeeds in life (all because he didn't want to play for Purdue and Painter) smh stay classy man:rolleyes:

Don't kill the messenger here but this is what DGL's dad had to say about why his son committed to Illinois and his thoughts on Coach Underwood and the Illini coaching staff

Four-star 2023 guard Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn has committed to the Illini, as first reported by Joe Tipton of On3.com.

"They believe in me more than anyone else and they showed that," Gibbs-Lawhorn told Tipton.

Gibbs-Lawhorn was in Champaign last week for an official visit. Illini Inquirer caught up with Gibbs-Lawhorn’s father, Ben Gibbs, to discuss the visit and what stood out about Illinois.
“It was really awesome. It totally blew us out of the water a little bit. We knew it was going to be awesome, but man, it was really awesome,” Gibbs said. “The most important thing that stood out to us was they had a plan for every aspect of Drayvn’s life while being there on campus. That made us very happy. Not just a plan for him basketball wise in terms of trying to get him to the next level after college, but also academically.

“I absolutely love Coach Underwood and his whole staff. I really love Adam Fletcher. His presentation was amazing. They broke down Drayvn’s game and how it fits Illinois’ style of play. Every aspect — from the social life to where they stay. We’re from a small town, so we like the small-town vibe. It just felt like family from everybody we met from the beginning to the end.”
Illinois jumped into the mix immediately after the Lafayette, Ind. native reopened his recruitment in August, while decommitting from Purdue. Illini assistant Tim Anderson was the point man and he continues to be on an unbelievable tear on the trail.

He built a really strong relationship in this recruitment and it paid dividends. “I feel like Tim Anderson is related to me,” Gibbs said with a chuckle. “I love Tim. Tim is amazing. Illinois is truly, truly blessed to have somebody like Tim. What I love about him is he’s a straight shooter and that’s the type of people I like to deal with. He said: ‘This is what we’re going to do for him at Illinois. When he steps on campus, this is what it’s going to be like.’ I like the way he speaks as if he’s coming there versus ‘hey, if he comes here’. Tim is speaking things into existence and I like people like that because that’s how I am.”
His father spoke on why he thinks Illinois is the place that can get the most out of him.

“They see him as a vital piece to the future of Illinois basketball. They’re going to be able to use him as a point guard and a combo guard. I think in tough situations, like at the end of the shot clock, he’s a guy they’re going to depend on to make plays. They understand what type of guard he is,” Gibbs said. “The plan they have for him is exactly what we want. Uptempo. Coach Underwood is going to open up the floor and let you do what you need to do. He’s not trying to deter him from what he does best. It really boils down to going somewhere that fits your game. I think playing right away is important. They didn’t say: ‘Oh, he’ll play right away.’ But they know what type of competitor he is, so they know he’s going to play right away — not because they say it but because he’ll earn it. They want him to come on campus and be ready to go next year.

“I think it’s a really, really good situation for Drayvn.”
Who knows how it'll work out but having another 4 star recruit on the roster is never a bad thing imho.

I will give Illinois fans credit. They do love to sniff the jocks of Purdue fans on message boards

What said is patently false - Michigan under Belein and now Howard have had NCAAT success in the last 10-12 years. Michigan got close to winning a NC under Belein. One could argue that Michigan has had the most NCAAT success of all BIG teams in the last 10 years.
key word is "got close to winning a NC". Illinois came close when Bruce Weber was the coach back in 2005 but it was close but no cigar. Point still stands though imo. The Big Ten hasn't won the National Title since 2000 so the back and forth chest bumping bragging about getting to a Sweet 16 a number of times is pretty pointless.

I've acknowledged countless amounts of times on here (check my post history if you want) that Illinois fell flat on their faces when they were a #1 seed and lost to the Ramblers in the 2nd round in the tourney that year. It was one of the biggest letdowns/ nutpunches I've ever witnessed in watching Illinois bball for quite some time now (and that's saying something ! haha ) It was such a crappy ending to an otherwise really good season.

The point is, its called March Madness for a reason. It only takes one off day to be sent packing . You would think you Purdue fans could relate to that considering all the times you got bounced early in the tourney over the years.
and I sorta baffled to any Purdue boasting about last season's tourney results. You guys got upset by a 15 seed St Peters Peacocks for crying out loud🤣 again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers on here ( no pun intended lol) because this is a Purdue forum and I am an Illini fan and guest but just pointing out you shouldn't throw stones if you live in glass houses.

(tl:dr)
in short, the BT has underachieved in the Big Dance for far too long and hopefully my Illini and your Boilers finally break on thru for some deep tourney runs that result in FFs and National Titles.

One thing I think we can all agree on is F the Hoosiers and I hope they fall flat on their faces this season. 😁

Reactions: mathboy
May want to delete this one, boss.
Agree. Especially after reading DGL’s quotes - you can tell he thinks in a smart way, and what that poster said about his mom was detestable, regardless of what she said on FB.
We all know Painter is a straight shooter, and maybe the kid realized how hard he’d have to work to fulfill his goals and constantly compete with less talented but hard working teammates. Painter doesn’t strike me as the kind of coach who would tell a recruit whatever they needed to hear if it weren’t true, but who knows.

One thing I think we can all agree on is F the Hoosiers and I hope they fall flat on their faces this season. 😁

Come Here Mike Woodson GIF by Indiana Hoosiers

wow you definitely don't sound bitter at all jfc I couldn't imagine being a grown man calling some innocent 17 year old recruit's mom vile words like you just did then follow it up by doubling down by hoping he never succeeds in life (all because he didn't want to play for Purdue and Painter) smh stay classy man:rolleyes:

Don't kill the messenger here but this is what DGL's dad had to say about why his son committed to Illinois and his thoughts on Coach Underwood and the Illini coaching staff

Who knows how it'll work out but having another 4 star recruit on the roster is never a bad thing imho.
Go look up his mom’s post. She’s a known meth-head from WL.

key word is "got close to winning a NC". Illinois came close when Bruce Weber was the coach back in 2005 but it was close but no cigar. Point still stands though imo. The Big Ten hasn't won the National Title since 2000 so the back and forth chest bumping bragging about getting to a Sweet 16 a number of times is pretty pointless.

I've acknowledged countless amounts of times on here (check my post history if you want) that Illinois fell flat on their faces when they were a #1 seed and lost to the Ramblers in the 2nd round in the tourney that year. It was one of the biggest letdowns/ nutpunches I've ever witnessed in watching Illinois bball for quite some time now (and that's saying something ! haha ) It was such a crappy ending to an otherwise really good season.

The point is, its called March Madness for a reason. It only takes one off day to be sent packing . You would think you Purdue fans could relate to that considering all the times you got bounced early in the tourney over the years.
and I sorta baffled to any Purdue boasting about last season's tourney results. You guys got upset by a 15 seed St Peters Peacocks for crying out loud🤣 again, I don't want to ruffle any feathers on here ( no pun intended lol) because this is a Purdue forum and I am an Illini fan and guest but just pointing out you shouldn't throw stones if you live in glass houses.

(tl:dr)
in short, the BT has underachieved in the Big Dance for far too long and hopefully my Illini and your Boilers finally break on thru for some deep tourney runs that result in FFs and National Titles.

They just lost to St, Peter’s 😛

Reactions: Vassar69
So if DGL’s mom is a psycho, what’s the excuse for missing on Pack? Sorta seems like all the good guards realize that Painter’s system is terrible for lead guards. Hell, the talk in college basketball is that he held Ivey back and that’s why none of these kids want to have to play for him, feeding the post 40 times a night

So if DGL’s mom is a psycho, what’s the excuse for missing on Pack? Sorta seems like all the good guards realize that Painter’s system is terrible for lead guards. Hell, the talk in college basketball is that he held Ivey back and that’s why none of these kids want to have to play for him, feeding the post 40 times a night
BS narrative. Ivey was selected 6th in the NBA draft by the Pistons and was an All-America player. He’s going to be a better pro than your beloved Dosunmu, too.

When Miami ponied up $800K plus a car, what do you think you’d do? DGL’s mom IS a psycho. Just look at her FB posts - tells you everything you need to know.

I never knew Illinois was this obsessed about Purdue. Lol none of us give a f*ck about your program. You’re on our message boards looking like a clown embarrassing yourself and your program worse than DGL’s mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT