ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol Purdue will be fine as always. Myles Colvin is way better than DGL.

Illinois should worry about getting to their first sweet 16 since 2005 before they start worrying about anyone else.
Let’s take a poll. Where will the length of time it takes Underwood to make his first S16 at Illinois fit in?

This year.
The 7 years Painter skipped the S16.
The 40+ years since Purdue has made a F4.

Fair but how many of us knew who Carsen Edwards was before we offered?
beat it only by a few days "maybe" when sauce was too much and the interest shifted to Xavier Simspon and Carsen. Can't recall for certain if both were already offered before I reviewed them or if there was rising interest for an offer. STill, your point is accurate and relevant!

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
beat it only by a few days "maybe" when sauce was too much and the interest shifted to Xavier Simspon and Carsen. Can't recall for certain if both were already offered before I reviewed them or if there was rising interest for an offer. STill, your point is accurate and relevant!
and the last time Purdue has been to a Final Four??????? 1980?

Lol Painter squandered the best team he’s had in 20 years and can’t reload because he’s too old fashioned to recruit in 2022. You can say “we don’t need DGL or Nigel Pack” I think you’re about to learn that you need a hell of a lot more talent to keep up with the rest of the conference.

and the last time Purdue has been to a Final Four??????? 1980?
I have absolutely no idea what your reply to my post was, but I'm sure it isn't important. If you think a couple of weeks play against hand selected competition for a program is somehow threatening to me you are wrong. I'm much more interested in head to head and against the same competition in a longitudal review than a miniscule time frame with respect to cheating out of Chicago. However, there are some that you might find an interest, but for me this is rather boring...

We lost to St Peters in a round your team hasn’t been to in almost 20 years.

Weird for you to be here talking crap when your program hasn’t accomplished much of anything in almost 20 years. Let’s see how Underwood does without Kofi.
Congrats, your season lasted 1 game longer than ours and you got humiliated on national TV. I hope it was worth it

Congrats, your season lasted 1 game longer than ours and you got humiliated on national TV. I hope it was worth it
I get that it’s exciting for you guys not to be bottom feeders finally, but you should probably actually accomplish something before talking crap.

Do we want to talk about how you only beat Chattanooga by 1 in the first round followed by getting your teeth kicked in by Houston? Underwood had loaded teams the last two years. 1 win by 1 point against Chattanooga to show for it.

Lol Painter squandered the best team he’s had in 20 years and can’t reload because he’s too old fashioned to recruit in 2022. You can say “we don’t need DGL or Nigel Pack” I think you’re about to learn that you need a hell of a lot more talent to keep up with the rest of the conference.
Wasn’t the best team he’s had in 20 years big guy. Hey maybe this is the year Underwood finally breaks through to the second weekend.

Reactions: Poprudy
Last Final Four appearance for Purdon't? 42 years lol. Ever been to a championship game?
Let me guess, your other username got banned so you made a new one? Hey maybe this year Underwood will break through.

I don't think he'll change his mind now. Only a little over a month to signing day.

It is interesting that he chose Illinois knowing they have 2 top 50 type guards in their 2022 class. Both have been mentioned as point or combo guards on the various websites and they were both recruited by the blue bloods. On paper there was a much easier path to big minutes at Purdue early.

Like it or not Underwood is really picking up his recruiting, At this point our recruiting is a little blah. Not great but not bad. At the end of the day Purdue will be able to hang with Illinois because we have the best coach in the B1G but I'm not sure we're getting the level of recruits that will allow us to compete nationally.

I don't think he'll change his mind now. Only a little over a month to signing day.

It is interesting that he chose Illinois knowing they have 2 top 50 type guards in their 2022 class. Both have been mentioned as point or combo guards on the various websites and they were both recruited by the blue bloods. On paper there was a much easier path to big minutes at Purdue early.

Like it or not Underwood is really picking up his recruiting, At this point our recruiting is a little blah. Not great but not bad. At the end of the day Purdue will be able to hang with Illinois because we have the best coach in the B1G but I'm not sure we're getting the level of recruits that will allow us to compete nationally.
What do you mean by nationally? We have been competing nationally and are consistently in the top 10-20. Heck, we just had a #1 ranking with our best player that was ranked #89 and became a top 5 draft pick.

I think you're looking at f4's or NC's, but those are about as likely as making the pro's for an athlete. It's just a very small window

Let’s take a poll. Where will the length of time it takes Underwood to make his first S16 at Illinois fit in?

This year.
The 7 years Painter skipped the S16.
The 40+ years since Purdue has made a F4.
This is your one message in 5+ years? Did it take you that long to figure out how to post IU dude?

What do you mean by nationally? We have been competing nationally and are consistently in the top 10-20. Heck, we just had a #1 ranking with our best player that was ranked #89 and became a top 5 draft pick.

I think you're looking at f4's or NC's, but those are about as likely as making the pro's for an athlete. It's just a very small window
I consider competing nationally to being a sweet 16 type team and by my own definition we competed nationally last year, but we lost 4 of our top 5 scorers. Our recruiting class wasn't a top 25 class and we gained no significant transfers. Next year's class has 1 recruit. He looks to be the real deal but is it enough?

Painter will have us competing in the B1G but I don't believe many have Purdue penciled in for a sweet sixteen this year. Anything can happen but in my opinion if you're not a sweet sixteen team, you're not competing nationally.

Reactions: DAG10
I consider competing nationally to being a sweet 16 type team and by my own definition we competed nationally last year, but we lost 4 of our top 5 scorers. Our recruiting class wasn't a top 25 class and we gained no significant transfers. Next year's class has 1 recruit. He looks to be the real deal but is it enough?

Painter will have us competing in the B1G but I don't believe many have Purdue penciled in for a sweet sixteen this year. Anything can happen but in my opinion if you're not a sweet sixteen team, you're not competing nationally.
Purdue has been to 4 of the last 5 S16's and consistently out recruited by number rankings by half of the B1G. When does the fan base start believing in their coach.

You do realize MSU has been to 2 S16'S in the last 7 tournaments. Wouldn't MSU apply to your logic? You sound like it's not about years prior, but where you are ranked this year.

If we get the NIL(which I'm not a fan) in the right place. I truly believe we are going to match our coaching ability and that should be competing for NC's. IMO

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Says the fan of the team that had the most talent in the B1G arguably two years ago, and, bowed out weakly...to LOYOLA, who flat embarrassed them...only to be even blown out worse and made to look absolutely horrible following a Conference championship by Houston.

The mere thought of an Illini fan questioning anyone else's alleged lack of success...with the plethora of talent at hand annually, and, repeatedly, is genuinely laughable...almost hysterically so.

Purdue has been to 4 of the last 5 S16's and consistently out recruited by number rankings by half of the B1G. When does the fan base start believing in their coach.

You do realize MSU has been to 2 S16'S in the last 7 tournaments. Wouldn't MSU apply to your logic? You sound like it's not about years prior, but where you are ranked this year.

If we get the NIL(which I'm not a fan) in the right place. I truly believe we are going to match our coaching ability and that should be competing for NC's. IMO
The game has changed with NIL, and, the transfer portal...Purdue is not a leader in either unfortunately.

Purdue's model for recruiting is not a great one, and, VERY difficult to sustain...and, will be even more so if they don't land genuine top-tier talent.

I would be surprised if anyone at Purdue is losing sleep over this, and, it will be real interesting to see if the commitment even sticks, but, even if it does, how it plays out in Champaign...there might be a case where a kid's talent allows for some of the baggage that accompanies it...my guess is that this is not one of those cases. That said, it will be more fun beating the Illini than it normally is I guess, especially in Mackey.

The game has changed with NIL, and, the transfer portal...Purdue is not a leader in either unfortunately.

Purdue's model for recruiting is not a great one, and, VERY difficult to sustain...and, will be even more so if they don't land genuine top-tier talent.
I truly believe the game changed when the NCAA let teams cheat. The NIL was a scape goat for the NCAA and teams cheating.

Purdue has never had a great model for recruiting, but has had sustainable success or we would consistently be bottom dwellers. The positive/negative are competing fans are over here because we're relevant to them.

Reactions: DAG10
I truly believe the game changed when the NCAA let teams cheat. The NIL was a scape goat for the NCAA and teams cheating.

Purdue has never had a great model for recruiting, but has had sustainable success or we would consistently be bottom dwellers. The positive/negative are competing fans are over here because we're relevant to them.
Purdue has had sustained success for sure, and you are right on the latter point.

But, with the mega-conferences in place/looming...NIL (essentially just approved cheating)...transfer portal...the game is entirely different now, and, it does not bode well for Purdue unfortunately.

Purdue has had some incredibly good fortune with ties to guys, and, Painter is generally stellar at identifying/evaluating talent...it has not translated to ultimate genuine "national success", but, Purdue has been really good in general...the class imbalance issue has hurt them, and, maybe the portal will resolve some of that (assuming Purdue uses it actively, and, does better with it than it has...but, that is a really big assumption)...and, like say, a guy like Colvin is not going to Purdue absent the connection...it was the ONLY reason that Gibbs-Lawhorn ever even considered it.

Reactions: Poprudy
Again, Purdue is not going to be able to compete in the NIL world of today...it is unfortunate, but, it is reality.

The ONLY reason he was ever a commit was his tie(s) to the area. Ironically, his having left the area and not retaining those ties is probably what worked most against Purdue in the end aside of NIL.

I recall at the time that he committed he pointed to the fact that Purdue was the #1 team in the country....something that lasted less than a week, and, after yet another epic fail in the NCAA tournament, the idea of playing there was less appealing as well.

Purdue was on the verge of something special with him and Colvin if they had been able to keep him...disappointing that it won't happen, but, also a precursor of things for Purdue basketball unfortunately.
Glad he is gone!!!!!
Hi V V

A lot of sour grapes in here. Just admit it, losing this kid sucks. I wish we still had him. All of you saying how we're better off without him were singing his praises when he was committed. Every single one of you. He's a quick, athletic, dynamic scoring guard that we are sorely lacking on this roster. And we have no incoming recruits like him either(Colvin seems to be more of a wing, and yes, I'm very excited for him). Painter needs to step it up recruiting(particularly the recruiting of guards), because since furst and Kaufman it has not been good.

A lot of sour grapes in here. Just admit it, losing this kid sucks. I wish we still had him. All of you saying how we're better off without him were singing his praises when he was committed. Every single one of you. He's a quick, athletic, dynamic scoring guard that we are sorely lacking on this roster. And we have no incoming recruits like him either(Colvin seems to be more of a wing, and yes, I'm very excited for him). Painter needs to step it up recruiting(particularly the recruiting of guards), because since furst and Kaufman it has not been good.
Not reading all of that but from the first line sounds like it was stupid anyway

Reactions: mathboy
Losing him sucks from a talent standpoint, but, this guy was not going to be a fit...and, that became clear unfortunately.

Purdue was a better team from a talent standpoint certainly, but, he is not a team guy...and, in reality, there is a chance that he would not have handled playing with Colvin well (despite them being individually ultra-talented).

There are some valid concerns with respect to recruiting...time will tell if it will persist...and, whether or not Purdue genuinely solves the NIL matter...or, can actually figure the portal out (in conjunction with NIL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT