ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless who starts the 4, neither of those three players will start the 3.
Do you have insight into something the rest of us don't? Arguably three of our best 5 players most natural position is the 4, Purdue will not be a good team if we can't find a way to get two of these three guys more than backup minutes. Remember Vince played the three before and after Biggie. Who else will play the two and the three? There is Newman assuming he can regain his RS freshman form but who else is truly a B1G quality starting guard? On paper this may be Purdue's worst or at least most unproven backcourt in the Painter era.

Edey will start. After that its a crapshoot.

Do you have insight into something the rest of us don't? Arguably three of our best 5 players most natural position is the 4, Purdue will not be a good team if we can't find a way to get two of these three guys more than backup minutes. Remember Vince played the three before and after Biggie. Who else will play the two and the three? There is Newman assuming he can regain his RS freshman form but who else is truly a B1G quality starting guard? On paper this may be Purdue's worst or at least most unproven backcourt in the Painter era.

Edey will start. After that its a crapshoot.
Apparently, yes. It’s been reported that none of those 3 will spend much time at the 3 barring an emergency situation. Better chance Waddell is the starting 3 than one of Furst, Gillis, or Kaufman.

And that would be an enormous mistake on Painters part...
So once again Patty knows more than Painter.

We know Gillis and Furst wouldn’t be able to guard an opposing 3. What makes you think Kaufman would be able to? Have you seen him play in practice?

So once again Patty knows more than Painter.

We know Gillis and Furst wouldn’t be able to guard an opposing 3. What makes you think Kaufman would be able to? Have you seen him play in practice?

So once again you have to lash out by name calling. Pretty par for the course for someone who's insecure...

I never said I knew more than Painter. But playing someone like Kaufman at the 3 would be dependent on match ups. You talk about him not being able to guard the opponent's 3. What about the opponent's 3 not being able to guard Kaufman? What makes you think Waddell is more capable of guarding the 3 than Kaufman? The fact of the matter is that you have to provide a means for your best players to be on the court as much as possible. If Painter doesn't do that with Kaufman and Furst, he's making an enormous mistake.

So once again you have to lash out by name calling. Pretty par for the course for someone who's insecure...

I never said I knew more than Painter. But playing someone like Kaufman at the 3 would be dependent on match ups. You talk about him not being able to guard the opponent's 3. What about the opponent's 3 not being able to guard Kaufman? What makes you think Waddell is more capable of guarding the 3 than Kaufman? The fact of the matter is that you have to provide a means for your best players to be on the court as much as possible. If Painter doesn't do that with Kaufman and Furst, he's making an enormous mistake.
You claim that you never said you knew more than Painter while also saying it would be a mistake not to start Kaufman at the 3.

What advantage does Kaufman have over an opponents shorter quicker 3 on the offensive end? Obviously in the post which will already be clogged by Edey. We have already seen this scenario unfold with Vince Edwards, Biggie, and Haas. They started the year with Vince at 3 and it just didn't work well, so they moved Haas to the bench.

I get wanting to get your best players on the court at the same time, but it's just not realistic with matchups.

Waddell is more athletic and quicker laterally than Kaufman.

I'll trust Painter who has been in practice every single day to put who he thinks are the best 5 on the court at a given time. I'm sure you probably argued last year that he needed to play Williams and Edey together.

You claim that you never said you knew more than Painter while also saying it would be a mistake not to start Kaufman at the 3.

What advantage does Kaufman have over an opponents shorter quicker 3 on the offensive end? Obviously in the post which will already be clogged by Edey. We have already seen this scenario unfold with Vince Edwards, Biggie, and Haas. They started the year with Vince at 3 and it just didn't work well, so they moved Haas to the bench.

I get wanting to get your best players on the court at the same time, but it's just not realistic with matchups.

Waddell is more athletic and quicker laterally than Kaufman.

I'll trust Painter who has been in practice every single day to put who he thinks are the best 5 on the court at a given time. I'm sure you probably argued last year that he needed to play Williams and Edey together.

No, I didn't argue to play Williams and Edey together.

Vince did well at the 3. Kaufman would do well at the 3. Do you have direct information that Waddell is more athletic and quicker laterally than Kaufman?

We played Sasha at the 3 last year. He wasn't quick. He wasn't athletic. And he was consistently overmatched by quicker and bigger players (Ron Harper Jr as an example). So I'm finding it hard to believe Kaufman is going to be a worse defender than Sasha. How do you think a 6'7" 175 lb Waddell is going to handle guys like Harper?

No, I didn't argue to play Williams and Edey together.

Vince did well at the 3. Kaufman would do well at the 3. Do you have direct information that Waddell is more athletic and quicker laterally than Kaufman?

We played Sasha at the 3 last year. He wasn't quick. He wasn't athletic. And he was consistently overmatched by quicker and bigger players (Ron Harper Jr as an example). So I'm finding it hard to believe Kaufman is going to be a worse defender than Sasha. How do you think a 6'7" 175 lb Waddell is going to handle guys like Harper?
Vince started at the 3 for the first 7 games of the 2016-2017 season. Shot 41% from the floor and averaged 10 ppg. After the first 7 games he shot 50% from the floor and averaged 13 ppg.

Brian has answered this question numerous times on KHC. When talking with the coaches and players they rave about Waddell's athletic ability and defensive instinct. I'm in the believe it when I see it boat, but he's been compared to Franz Wagner.

Sasha is a lot quicker than Kaufman. Can you imagine Kaufman chasing shooters through screens? Ron Harper was Rutgers' 4 last year, and was torching Furst and Gillis. Morton came in to defend him the second half of the game. Players like Harper are exactly the reason Furst/Gillis/Kaufman shouldn't be guarding the 3. Opposing 4s that were versatile killed us all year long.

Waddel is 6'8" 195 lbs. Harper went unconscious from 3 because our 4s were too slow to guard him out there. There's a reason we switched 6'7" 200 lbs Ethan Morton onto him.

You don't have to be a Painter guy. Just find it odd when grown men bash recruits that have committed to our program before they hit the floor. Especially, when we all could point fingers at ourself, but tend not to do it.
I love the word "bash"

Reactions: johnboiler123
Jenkins is probably going to be a starter, not a limited role player. Do you know anything about Purdue basketball?
By the way, every single scholarship player on our team is a Big Ten level player.
Being on a B10 team doesn't mean someone is a B10 level talent. Anyone can be on the team, but not just anyone can go out and compete on the floor at a high level against B10 level competition.
That's 2 different things.

Being on a B10 team doesn't mean someone is a B10 level talent. Anyone can be on the team, but not just anyone can go out and compete on the floor at a high level against B10 level competition.
That's 2 different things.
Agree, and it’s been a long time since we have had someone that fits that description. The last bust we had was Grant Weatherford.

Reactions: pboiler18
Look at his stats and then look where he transferred. Why didn't he transfer to at least a P5 level school?
5'11, 145 and poor athleticism is not a recipe for success.
Seems he had quite a bit of success while at Purdue.

None of us know why he transferred where he did.

Reactions: pboiler18
Seems he had quite a bit of success while at Purdue.

None of us know why he transferred where he did.
depends on your definition of 'success'. And I'll tell you why he transferred: because he wasn't good enough to play at a B10/P5 level. There's no shame in that, there's 1000's of kids not good enough. He just will have a better chance to succeed playing against a lower talent level.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Vince started at the 3 for the first 7 games of the 2016-2017 season. Shot 41% from the floor and averaged 10 ppg. After the first 7 games he shot 50% from the floor and averaged 13 ppg.

Brian has answered this question numerous times on KHC. When talking with the coaches and players they rave about Waddell's athletic ability and defensive instinct. I'm in the believe it when I see it boat, but he's been compared to Franz Wagner.

Sasha is a lot quicker than Kaufman. Can you imagine Kaufman chasing shooters through screens? Ron Harper was Rutgers' 4 last year, and was torching Furst and Gillis. Morton came in to defend him the second half of the game. Players like Harper are exactly the reason Furst/Gillis/Kaufman shouldn't be guarding the 3. Opposing 4s that were versatile killed us all year long.

Waddel is 6'8" 195 lbs. Harper went unconscious from 3 because our 4s were too slow to guard him out there. There's a reason we switched 6'7" 200 lbs Ethan Morton onto him.
Harper didn't beat us coming off screens. For the most part, he shot off the dribble, and essentially shot right over Gillis. And Gillis was incredibly lazy closing out on him. That's was one of Gillis's main issues last year was playing off shooters too often.

Morton is one of our better defenders who doesn't get credit for it. So yeah, there was a reason he came in the game to guard Harper.

Again, this is a match-up situation. If we were playing a team like Michigan last year, I'd rather Kaufman guard a guy like Houstan than Sasha.

Reactions: mathboy
depends on your definition of 'success'. And I'll tell you why he transferred: because he wasn't good enough to play at a B10/P5 level. There's no shame in that, there's 1000's of kids not good enough. He just will have a better chance to succeed playing against a lower talent level.
Purdue won 68% of the games Thompson played in and he was a starter for 25 of his 96 games. His teams went to the sweet 16 twice with the cancelled tournament being the 3rd year.

He WAS good enough to play at the Big Ten level, because he DID play at the Big Ten level.

I will say it again - Neither of us has a clue the reason IT transferred and subsequently chose FGCU as his new school. Couldn't possibly be that it's one of the most gorgeous campuses in the country I'm sure.

Purdue won 68% of the games Thompson played in and he was a starter for 25 of his 96 games. His teams went to the sweet 16 twice with the cancelled tournament being the 3rd year.

He WAS good enough to play at the Big Ten level, because he DID play at the Big Ten level.

I will say it again - Neither of us has a clue the reason IT transferred and subsequently chose FGCU as his new school. Couldn't possibly be that it's one of the most gorgeous campuses in the country I'm sure.
I'd say Purdue won despite, not because of IT. Look at his B10 stats last year. More importantly, watch him play. Small, unathletic, poor handles. He can hit an open 3, but any D1 guard should be able to do that.

Harper didn't beat us coming off screens. For the most part, he shot off the dribble, and essentially shot right over Gillis. And Gillis was incredibly lazy closing out on him. That's was one of Gillis's main issues last year was playing off shooters too often.

Morton is one of our better defenders who doesn't get credit for it. So yeah, there was a reason he came in the game to guard Harper.

Again, this is a match-up situation. If we were playing a team like Michigan last year, I'd rather Kaufman guard a guy like Houstan than Sasha.
Did I say he beat us coming off screens?

You call Gillis' defense lazy and I call it lack of athleticism to close out on the perimeter. Furst was actually worse than Gillis at that. Yet here you are confident that one of them or Kaufman can guard guys quicker than Harper.

Lol you've never even seen Kaufman defend at this level, so how can you make that claim?

Since it's matchup based, who are you rolling out against Truman State on Nov 2nd?

I'd say Purdue won despite, not because of IT. Look at his B10 stats last year. More importantly, watch him play. Small, unathletic, poor handles. He can hit an open 3, but any D1 guard should be able to do that.
I watched him play. He does not have poor handles. He was a poor defender, but so was the rest of the team. Offensively he was our 3rd most efficient player.

Serious Question: Would you rather have IT or Johnny Hill?

I watched him play. He does not have poor handles. He was a poor defender, but so was the rest of the team. Offensively he was our 3rd most efficient player.

Serious Question: Would you rather have IT or Johnny Hill?
Dont' remember Hill at all.
And no, IT had poor handles. He struggled terribly to bring the ball up the court against pressure and couldn't make the defense pay for playing tight man D.

Did I say he beat us coming off screens?

You call Gillis' defense lazy and I call it lack of athleticism to close out on the perimeter. Furst was actually worse than Gillis at that. Yet here you are confident that one of them or Kaufman can guard guys quicker than Harper.

Lol you've never even seen Kaufman defend at this level, so how can you make that claim?

Since it's matchup based, who are you rolling out against Truman State on Nov 2nd?
We'll have differences of opinions. Doesn't make yours right. I've seen Gillis sag off of his man to the point they were wide open for threes on numerous occasions. That has nothing to do with quickness or athleticism. It just wasn't smart D. Call it what you want. I don't care.

And BTW, when did I say Kaufman could guard defenders quicker than Harper? I said it would be matchup dependent.

Dont' remember Hill at all.
And no, IT had poor handles. He struggled terribly to bring the ball up the court against pressure and couldn't make the defense pay for playing tight man D.
Of course you don't remember hill.

IT had no issues bringing the ball up against pressure. He had the lowest turnover percentage on the team and lowest turnovers per 100 possessions.

We'll have differences of opinions. Doesn't make yours right. I've seen Gillis sag off of his man to the point they were wide open for threes on numerous occasions. That has nothing to do with quickness or athleticism. It just wasn't smart D. Call it what you want. I don't care.

And BTW, when did I say Kaufman could guard defenders quicker than Harper? I said it would be matchup dependent.
We will find out in two months. I think you will be very disappointed if you are expecting Kaufman to get significant minutes at the 3.

We will find out in two months. I think you will be very disappointed if you are expecting Kaufman to get significant minutes at the 3.
All I care about is that Painter gets the best talent on the floor with substantial minutes. If he doesn't get Kaufman big minutes because he can't find room in the lineup (similar to the Newman fiasco last year), then he needs to be more creative in his approach...

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
Of course you don't remember hill.

IT had no issues bringing the ball up against pressure. He had the lowest turnover percentage on the team and lowest turnovers per 100 possessions.
Why do you think teams pressured the ball when IT had it? Why do you think Ivey started bringing the ball up the court about 1/3 through the season?
Turnovers per 100 possessions is a meaningless stat when all he does is try to throw the ball into the post.
Next thing you're going to say is he was a solid defender?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
All I care about is that Painter gets the best talent on the floor with substantial minutes. If he doesn't get Kaufman big minutes because he can't find room in the lineup (similar to the Newman fiasco last year), then he needs to be more creative in his approach...
All I care about is Painter putting the best lineup fit out there so we can be as successful as possible.

Why do you think teams pressured the ball when IT had it? Why do you think Ivey started bringing the ball up the court about 1/3 through the season?
Turnovers per 100 possessions is a meaningless stat when all he does is try to throw the ball into the post.
Next thing you're going to say is he was a solid defender?
I mean it's like you didn't even watch Purdue last year. Ivey was a turnover machine. IT had no issue bringing the ball up against pressure.

There weren't many solid defenders on the team last year and that continues to be the case this year. Nice attempt at moving the goalposts though.

Hi guys, my name is Kelsey Barlow. At one point in my life I played at Purdue University in the sport of basketball.

I give you a non fiction book called Men of Mackey. Please believe I have the answers for the University to compete in this modern NIL era.

When are you gonna get on the boiler ball podcast? That’s gonna be a good episode

I mean it's like you didn't even watch Purdue last year. Ivey was a turnover machine. IT had no issue bringing the ball up against pressure.

There weren't many solid defenders on the team last year and that continues to be the case this year. Nice attempt at moving the goalposts though.
If Ivey was only asked to stand in the corner and shoot open 3s like Thompson his turnovers would have drastically decreased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT