ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
That says it all. The Sweet Sixteen is the Final Four for the math-fanboi types. That's the bar. In their minds Purdue has been to something like 10 FF's since 1980.
What I said is that he's consistently in the SW16 and that's pretty true. I was 5 when we went to a Final4 last and we've only been to 2. If anything the guys that have stuck it out longer than me are the fanboy types. I'm content because I don't coach, recruit, spend or donate enough time to get big money for the NIL. I don't have a dog in the fight and neither do most on this board.

I'm a fan and sometimes get frustrated with Painter, but I also have seen programs go through long droughts after searching for their "guy" and they were considered elite at one time or a blue blood. I'm just not going to get my panties in a bunch over losing a game that I literally have no influence.

I feel bad for you guys...you have been bitching the whole time you've been a Purdue fan. That's crazy to me. Get a hobby!

Last edited:
Yup, for guys like poprudy and mathboy, going to the s16 a few times puts us on par with the elite programs.
I felt honoured to be mentioned by name, in someone's post. :cool:

Then I looked at who posted it. Now, not so much... 8-(

Then I realised that it was derogatory in nature, and given the trail of ugly postings this guy has left behind him, I started to feel better. :cool:

I felt honoured to be mentioned by name, in someone's post. :cool:

Then I looked at who posted it. Now, not so much... 8-(

Then I realised that it was derogatory in nature, and given the trail of ugly postings this guy has left behind him, I started to feel better. :cool:
Below average post, by a below average guy, who is OK with below average results.

As I read through the posts on this thread, I've come to the conclusion Purdue fan's views have more to so with expectations then they do with Painter's performance.

Painter is a good coach and is very consistent. If you look at Purdue over the course of his tenure, we've probably been one of the most consistently good teams (not great) in college basketball. I looked it up the other day and we have been in the top 4 in the B10 7 out of the last 8 years and we've won 2 B1G championships. Keep in mind there are currently 14 teams in the B1G.

Now compare that to football. I can't imagine a world where we would be one of the top 4 teams in the B1G and competing for a B1G championship year in and year out. We complain about not making a final four in basketball yet the idea of competing in the Bowl Championship Series seems like a far fetched dream.

Why is that? It's not like we get all of our basketball talent from Indiana. If I reflect back, other than Ivey and Biggie, who have been the key guys from Indiana that have kept us as a consistent B1G contender in the last 8 to 10 years? A lot of good role players but other than the two mentioned above who from Indiana has been exceptional?

I guess what I'm trying to say is winning the B1G is a BIG DEAL. When I was a student (Keady years), we knew where we were in the standings and every game counted. I don't remember being disappointed in the Scheffler, Rowinski teams. Years like those were great rides. Big fun beating IU when we were underdogs and competing for B1G championships. Last year, it was like no one really cared if we won the B1G championship. It didn't matter because in some fan's eyes it only mattered what we did in a single elimination tournament.

All things being equal we should win the B1G once every 14 years and average being middle of the pack in the B1G. The idea that we measure the success of the basketball team based on final four appearances is just not rational.

Last edited:
As I read through the posts on this thread, I've come to the conclusion Purdue fan's views have more to so with expectations then they do with Painter's performance.

Painter is a good coach and is very consistent. If you look at Purdue over the course of his tenure, we've probably been one of the most consistently good teams (not great) in college basketball. I looked it up the other day and we have been in the top 4 in the B10 7 out of the last 8 years and we've won 2 B1G championships. Keep in mind there are currently 14 teams in the B1G.

Now compare that to football. I can't imagine a world where we would be one of the top 4 teams in the B1G and competing for a B1G championship year in and year out. We complain about not making a final four in basketball yet the idea of competing in the Bowl Championship Series seems like a far fetched dream.

Why is that? It's not like we get all of our basketball talent from Indiana. If I reflect back, other than Ivey and Biggie, who have been the key guys from Indiana that have kept us as a consistent B1G contender in the last 8 to 10 years? A lot of good role players but other than the two mentioned above who from Indiana has been exceptional?

I guess what I'm trying to say is winning the B1G is a BIG DEAL. When I was a student (Keady years), we knew where we were in the standings and every game counted. I don't remember being disappointed in the Scheffler, Rowinski teams. Years like those were great rides. Big fun beating IU when we were underdogs and competing for B1G championships. Last year, it was like no one really cared if we won the B1G championship. It didn't matter because in some fan's eyes it only mattered what we did in a single elimination tournament.

All things being equal we should win the B1G once every 14 years and average being middle of the pack in the B1G. The idea that we measure the success of the basketball team based on final four appearances is just not rational.
Not all seasons are created equal. I don't think most posters on here "expect" a FF every year. But at some point it needs to happen and the disappointment of last year still weighs heavy on our fan base. Had we beaten St Pete and then lost in a close, well played game to UNC I don't think you would see nearly the negative stuff you see right now. Last season was a very disappointing one for many of us and it still fresh in fans minds.

I think there is a difference in "wishing for" and "prediciting". Let's be clear. I am not satisfied with a sweet sixteen level performance, although that is the level we seem to achieve almost every year. Don't get me wrong. That is still a significant acheivement, being in the top 16 teams year-after-year. I still want a NC. I felt that last year we had the team that might have a chance to get there, but blew it when the bracket opened up.

Now some posters confuse my "prediction" of getting to the S16 this year as some sort of satisfaction level. It's not, but I think it is realistic, given our youth and inexperience at guard. I guess it may go back to their inability to understand the nuances of these dialogs, eh?

I think there is a difference in "wishing for" and "prediciting". Let's be clear. I am not satisfied with a sweet sixteen level performance, although that is the level we seem to achieve almost every year. Don't get me wrong. That is still a significant acheivement, being in the top 16 teams year-after-year. I still want a NC. I felt that last year we had the team that might have a chance to get there, but blew it when the bracket opened up.

Now some posters confuse my "prediction" of getting to the S16 this year as some sort of satisfaction level. It's not, but I think it is realistic, given our youth and inexperience at guard. I guess it may go back to their inability to understand the nuances of these dialogs, eh?
You know the best way to get to the final four? Get to the elite eight first.

Know the best way to get to the elite eight?

Reactions: DAG10 and mathboy
Not all seasons are created equal. I don't think most posters on here "expect" a FF every year. But at some point it needs to happen and the disappointment of last year still weighs heavy on our fan base. Had we beaten St Pete and then lost in a close, well played game to UNC I don't think you would see nearly the negative stuff you see right now. Last season was a very disappointing one for many of us and it still fresh in fans minds.
I get it. It was all set up for us. We beat Yale, a Texas team that had lost 3 of their last 4 and then lost to St Peters. St Peters lost by 20 to North Carolina. But lets not forget we lost 6 conference games and finished third in the conference. We also lost in the B1G tournament championship game to Iowa, which in turn lost its opening round tournament game to Richmond.

To me our regular season failures were as bad as the tournament. The St Peters game wasn't just a fluke. We were never ranked outside the top 10 but we lost 6 conference games in a conference that didn't have one team advance to the Elite 8 and the B1G was 4th in conference RPI.

Many on this board thought the team was the best Purdue team ever but after we beat Villanova and North Carolina in November we never really did anything. Everyone just kept thinking we should be that good but as it turns out we really weren't. In hindsight I for one question whether Purdue was really ever a top 5 or even top 10 team, because we really never accomplished anything to earn it.

I get it. It was all set up for us. We beat Yale, a Texas team that had lost 3 of their last 4 and then lost to St Peters. St Peters lost by 20 to North Carolina. But lets not forget we lost 6 conference games and finished third in the conference. We also lost in the B1G tournament championship game to Iowa, which in turn lost its opening round tournament game to Richmond.

To me our regular season failures were as bad as the tournament. The St Peters game wasn't just a fluke. We were never ranked outside the top 10 but we lost 6 conference games in a conference that didn't have one team advance to the Elite 8 and the B1G was 4th in conference RPI.

Many on this board thought the team was the best Purdue team ever but after we beat Villanova and North Carolina in November we never really did anything. Everyone just kept thinking we should be that good but as it turns out we really weren't. In hindsight I for one question whether Purdue was really ever a top 5 or even top 10 team, because we really never accomplished anything to earn it.
It was a very flawed team. Our top 3 offensive weapons were turnover machines, not great on defense, couldn’t all play at the same time, and their styles of play didn’t really fit together well.

On top of that, maybe only 1 legit NBA player in the rotation.

Part of me feels that DGL winds up at someplace that isn’t the caliber of Purdue.
Have you seen the list of schools that are recruiting him? Multiple championship level programs have reached out. He will end up in a p5 conference playing for a good bball program. It's possible we might even playing against him in the b1g, as msu is one of the teams that is reported as having reached out.

He may transfer a couple times with the unlimited transfer rule. He might be at a couple of those schools before he is done.

Reactions: pboiler18
Good grief. I’ll be called a painter apologist but with our NIL and where our program was headed in the early 2000s without painter we would be less than IU. Painter has kept us relevant. Up until painter started IU was historically the sexier job and superior program and they had a series of bad coaching decisions.

Reactions: Poprudy
I came up with a thought no one has mentioned. Taking a look at Purdue preseason schedule for the past 10 years, I have to believe any coach would have been able to generate 10+ wins. I also believe that same coach would be able to generate 6 big 10 wins. So basically what I’m saying is that any coach at Purdue should be able to produce 16 wins every year solely based on their schedule alone. It doesn’t take much coaching ability to generate 4 additional wins and get a 20 win season!

I’m usually a Painter supporter but I have to ask how many of his wins were generated because of Purdue’s schedule? Sure, Purdue throws in 1-2 tough preseason games, but as I said, looking at the schedule, Purdue should get 10 preseason wins every year.

I also found it disappointing that in many instances the team played down to the level of their opponents rather than blowing them away. Some of those gimme games were almost losses!

I came up with a thought no one has mentioned. Taking a look at Purdue preseason schedule for the past 10 years, I have to believe any coach would have been able to generate 10+ wins. I also believe that same coach would be able to generate 6 big 10 wins. So basically what I’m saying is that any coach at Purdue should be able to produce 16 wins every year solely based on their schedule alone. It doesn’t take much coaching ability to generate 4 additional wins and get a 20 win season!

I’m usually a Painter supporter but I have to ask how many of his wins were generated because of Purdue’s schedule? Sure, Purdue throws in 1-2 tough preseason games, but as I said, looking at the schedule, Purdue should get 10 preseason wins every year.

I also found it disappointing that in many instances the team played down to the level of their opponents rather than blowing them away. Some of those gimme games were almost losses!
What makes you think Purdue should be guaranteed 10 non conference wins per year? You know they only play 11 non conference games, right?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
What makes you think Purdue should be guaranteed 10 non conference wins per year? You know they only play 11 non conference games, right?
I know. Look at their schedule for the last 10 years. They usually have at most 2 tough games! And no, they should never lose to Butler! UNC Had a new coach last year who was trying to figure out the talents of his players and right combinations to use. As the year progressed so did he and UNC. Purdue wins a lot of preseason games because they are usually an experienced team. Unfortunately they don’t progress much above their preseason form.

Reactions: bonefish1
It was a very flawed team. Our top 3 offensive weapons were turnover machines, not great on defense, couldn’t all play at the same time, and their styles of play didn’t really fit together well.

On top of that, maybe only 1 legit NBA player in the rotation.
It was flawed, I agree...but, it also was talented, and, it underachieved. Some of that was on the players, some of it on the Coaching staff.

The composition of the roster is absolutely on the HC and staff...as is the deployment of personnel...there were issues with both.

While it may have lacked really top-end talent, top-to-bottom it had arguably as much collective talent as any Purdue team.

We heard repeatedly that sacrificing defense for offense was not that big of a deal, and, it could not have been more inaccurate ultimately.

I feared for Dravyn defensively. Onto the next one. Myles Colvin is the guy. He will be a lottery pick IMO. I dont expect him to be here all four years. I know this is a bit in left field but has Matt Painter ever contacted or looked at Bronny James?

I feared for Dravyn defensively. Onto the next one. Myles Colvin is the guy. He will be a lottery pick IMO. I dont expect him to be here all four years. I know this is a bit in left field but has Matt Painter ever contacted or looked at Bronny James?
From what I've observed bronny isn't all that beyond a role player type guy at the D1 level.

It was flawed, I agree...but, it also was talented, and, it underachieved. Some of that was on the players, some of it on the Coaching staff.

The composition of the roster is absolutely on the HC and staff...as is the deployment of personnel...there were issues with both.

While it may have lacked really top-end talent, top-to-bottom it had arguably as much collective talent as any Purdue team.

We heard repeatedly that sacrificing defense for offense was not that big of a deal, and, it could not have been more inaccurate ultimately.
Dag10, I usually agree with most of your post but I think this is where not just Purdue fans but also the college basketball world at large missed the boat on last years team. At the beginning of the year it looked like we had a really deep team. Heck we even redshirted a top 50 recruit. Furst started out playing really well and we all anticipated Newman being the player he was the year before. But Furst's contributions really fell off and Newman was only a shell of the player he had been in the past. IT starting the first half of the year might have lead many to believe that maybe he was as good or better than Hunter. He wasn't.

By the end of the year guys like Morton, Furst and IT were coming in to give guys a break not because Painter thought they were going to provide a spark. Thompson, Furst, and Morton all averaged less than 3 points per game in conference play and Newman didn't play much after the B1G season started. There were times we struggled at the point but didn't have an alternative. When Sasha went cold at the end of the year, we didn't have a backup plan. So where was all the depth?

We didn't have two equal starting fives, We had two really good centers that split time and two or three guys who came in to give the starters a break. That's it.

Last edited:
Reactions: boilerball2021
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT