ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMP obviously was fully aware of everything when he recruited & offered. Thus, all that on KHC is the BS stuff people say after one of these recruitments go off the rails, CMP & staff knew all & was excited for this kid to be a Boiler, and staff is disappointed now he's not.
I don’t pay for the premium stuff on KHC, but had the same thought reading that. Staff was ok with his commitment last year and no reason to think they’re weren’t still good with it. If this development isn’t a positive in Painter’s eyes, not sure why fans would want to spin it into one.

Last edited:
Love and appreciate it, but, if Zach were a top-100 guy coming out and NIL had existed, it may not have not seemed wild.

It probably is not as wild to those guys...and, in the case of many (guys at 'Zona...Kentucky...LSU...Auburn...Louisville, etc.), it was anything but wild...in fact, the reverse was/is true...deciding on a school for anything but a paycheck seemed wild to those guys likely.

It will be interesting to see if he feels the same when he might have to make a decision after this year (or even the following).
This hasn't been around long enough. He most certainly could get paid big by different programs. Many programs would've taken him right now.

Love the players here and the people that don't believe in Painter are more than welcome to find another avenue. I think this NIL stuff has to be left for the people dealing with the internals of each situation. We are claiming to know the inside of this, but in reality we are on a fan based website trying to claim we all knew or we should have prepared better.

It’s great that all these players are getting money, but what’s going to happen when they decide to stop going classes and are failing? What’s that going to look like?
I thought they were creating a semi pro league or two as an option for these guys to try and get paid and not go to college. Did that never take off? I would love to see Jackie Moon and the Flint Tropics make a comeback

I thought they were creating a semi pro league or two as an option for these guys to try and get paid and not go to college. Did that never take off? I would love to see Jackie Moon and the Flint Tropics make a comeback

I asked a similar question a while back. Unless they don't qualify, why wouldn't someone elect to go to college then go to the gleague elite or the Jeff Bezos league?

Have they worked out the issue with F-1 visas and NIL ? I don’t think Zach can make NIL money and stay in his student visa since that wouldn’t be money earned through something related to his degree program.

Reactions: SuPurduePer
They already have it. It’s called Overtime Elite. MSU recruit Jeremy Fears is playing in it but he had to turn down the money in order to play in it. Article I read, he had to forgo a contract worth approx. $100K in order to maintain his college eligibility.

Most players in that league get paid though.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
They already have it. It’s called Overtime Elite. MSU recruit Jeremy Fears is playing in it but he had to turn down the money in order to play in it. Article I read, he had to forgo a contract worth approx. $100K in order to maintain his college eligibility.

Most players in that league get paid though.
Colvin was offered to play in it and turned it down...

Reactions: PUQBMan.
Love the players here and the people that don't believe in Painter are more than welcome to find another avenue. I think this NIL stuff has to be left for the people dealing with the internals of each situation. We are claiming to know the inside of this, but in reality we are on a fan based website trying to claim we all knew or we should have prepared better.
Purdue was/is very late to the game and there is no denying it.

Whereas in the past, Purdue either lost guys or did not even get involved with them as a result of them getting perks or paid, it now has been impacted in that guys that were not a part of that previously now are, with Pack being the greatest example.

Pack was no doubt a wake-up call for Purdue...and a lot of schools for that matter likely, and I don't know that they even could have combatted that...but, Indinia (not surprising even) was ahead of things and WAY ahead of Purdue specifically for that matter, and, it served them incredibly well as such...thus, shame on Purdue still for being as ill-prepared and as far behind as it was, and is.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Purdue was/is very late to the game and there is no denying it.

Whereas in the past, Purdue either lost guys or did not even get involved with them as a result of them getting perks or paid, it now has been impacted in that guys that were not a part of that previously now are, with Pack being the greatest example.

Pack was no doubt a wake-up call for Purdue...and a lot of schools for that matter likely, and I don't know that they even could have combatted that...but, Indinia (not surprising even) was ahead of things and WAY ahead of Purdue specifically for that matter, and, it served them incredibly well as such...thus, shame on Purdue still for being as ill-prepared and as far behind as it was, and is.
Need to shift our recruiting strategy to the football one - you keep recruiting over "commits" until ink dries on the papers.

if all schools knew the rules and played by them. Matt would compare fine with Izzo. That has not been the case in the past and certainly is not the case now.
I don't think the cheating is as rampant as you've been led to believe. I think MSU runs a clean program, as do UVA and others. Sure, there's a few crooked coaches out that but it's not every top 10 team and it's not why Painters an average recruiter.

Seems like some fans are consumed with the number behind the recruit and Painter seems to always come through for us. I did think that with that backcourt we would potentially see a F4.
How exactly has Painter come through for us?

It takes all kinds. Not everyone is born a rah rah person. I'll never be convinced that Carsen or Ivey developed a deep love for Purdue like Robbie or Rapheal. But they were great assets to the basketball program while they were here and handled their business off the court. Chances are DGL will always be about himself first and wherever he ends up he will feel the same way about. Chances are he will also be a good player.
I could give a rats ass if a player 'loves' Purdue. I just need them to play their ass off when they're wearing a Purdue uniform. Big time college sports is about winning and money, not loyalty and school pride.

I could give a rats ass if a player 'loves' Purdue. I just need them to play their ass off when they're wearing a Purdue uniform. Big time college sports is about winning and money, not loyalty and school pride.
I very much agree with your first 2 sentences. Could not disagree more with the last one.

Reactions: ulrey
Not really. Coming through is winning when it counts. Painter has a history of not winning when it counts...

Most of the 362 NCAA active coaches have not reached a final four. In that group at least CMP has been competive in a major conference with 2 champions in last 12 years, and several top 4 finishes....while maintaining a stellar rep.

I look at list of current active coaches who have been to multiple FFs.....thus winning when it counts. The list is full of slime like Self, Petino, Izzo etc. I guess I am glad we don't have that type of coach.

But yes, still I do agree with you CMP needs a slightly better March performance.....given his team conference performances.

But now Purdue will need more aggressive NIL approach to reach those goals though. And perhaps that is not on CMP.

Most of the 362 NCAA active coaches have not reached a final four. In that group at least CMP has been competive in a major conference with 2 champions in last 12 years, and several top 4 finishes....while maintaining a stellar rep.

I look at list of current active coaches who have been to multiple FFs.....thus winning when it counts. The list is full of slime like Self, Petino, Izzo etc. I guess I am glad we don't have that type of coach.

But yes, still I do agree with you CMP needs a slightly better March performance.....given his team conference performances.

But now Purdue will need more aggressive NIL approach to reach those goals though. And perhaps that is not on CMP.
No, the NIL situation is not entirely on CMP, even though he spoke out against it while other programs were planning. But the time leading up to it is. He went into a recruiting slump for numerous years after the Baby Boilers. IMHO, that hurt his ability to position Purdue into a top contender. And as of recently, he's been playing catch up. Last season was the absolute best opportunity for him to win big and he didn't win the B1G, he didn't win the B1G tourney, and he go beat by St Peters. It was an underperforming situation, IMHO, whether some here agree with it or not.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
No, the NIL situation is not entirely on CMP, even though he spoke out against it while other programs were planning. But the time leading up to it is. He went into a recruiting slump for numerous years after the Baby Boilers. IMHO, that hurt his ability to position Purdue into a top contender. And as of recently, he's been playing catch up. Last season was the absolute best opportunity for him to win big and he didn't win the B1G, he didn't win the B1G tourney, and he go beat by St Peters. It was an underperforming situation, IMHO, whether some here agree with it or not.

We are in agreement on NIL..
as I said the NIL is perhaps not a on him.

Continually wins at a high clip. When we are consistently in the S16 and tops in the B1G that's "coming through".
I guess that depends on your expectations. Unfortunately, Painter has now developed (earned?) the reputation of a coach who can't get past the S16 (1-6).

Give some specifics. Show where Izzo has had violations. And don't give me the crap about hiring a coach for a 1 time ball camp.
Dawson's mom became owner of a bar e
Not really. Coming through is winning when it counts. Painter has a history of not winning when it counts...
I disagree, you can point to certain games for every coach..............

His recruiting slump had everything to do with how the athletic department was funded and very little to do with the coach. It wasn’t until he threw a fit, and looked at the Missouri job that the funding was partially corrected.

Reactions: Poprudy
Dawson's mom became owner of a bar e

I disagree, you can point to certain games for every coach..............
Hasn't Painter lost to double digit underdog seeds 3 of the last 4 tournies?

Last edited:
CMP isn’t perfect (I do wish he would mix up his defenses some), but he averages over 1 NCAA win per tournament since he’s been here. There have been 16 tournaments and he’s won 17 NCAA games.

Not a lot of coaches have done that for 15 plus years.
I'm not sure that's a very impressive metric. In 14 of those 16 appearances, he was favored to win that first round game, and in the one's where Purdue wasn't the higher seed, it was only a 1 seed difference (a pick-em essentially).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Painter has only once beaten a team that was more than 1 seed higher? (and that was a St. Mary's team at 7 when Purdue was 10. Not all that impressive or surprising).

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
I'm not sure that's a very impressive metric. In 14 of those 16 appearances, he was favored to win that first round game, and in the one's where Purdue wasn't the higher seed, it was only a 1 seed difference (a pick-em essentially).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Painter has only once beaten a team that was more than 1 seed higher? (and that was a St. Mary's team at 7 when Purdue was 10. Not all that impressive or surprising).
With this logic, we would always want to be a 10 or 11 seed in the NCAAs.

Reactions: PUQBMan.
With this logic, we would always want to be a 10 or 11 seed in the NCAAs.
No, you always want to be a higher seed. But, eventually you're going to have to beat or upset some really good teams to advance. Painter hasn't been able to do that.

I look at last years team that beat UNC early, and beat them soundly. Had we beat St Pete and faced UNC in the E8, we would have probably lost by 20. UNC might have been missing a couple players when we played them early.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
No, you always want to be a higher seed. But, eventually you're going to have to beat or upset some really good teams to advance. Painter hasn't been able to do that.

I look at last years team that beat UNC early, and beat them soundly. Had we beat St Pete and faced UNC in the E8, we would have probably lost by 20. UNC might have been missing a couple players when we played them early.
They changed rotations and Garcia left the team. Once they had their starters and bench figured out they got better and better in the last 1/3 of the season. Really dramatic turnaround.

Reactions: bonefish1
They changed rotations and Garcia left the team. Once they had their starters and bench figured out they got better and better in the last 1/3 of the season. Really dramatic turnaround.
Purdue shot 56% from the field, 44% from the 3 point line, only turned it over 9 times and made more free throws (15) than UNC shot (12). Shoot the ball well. Don’t turn it over. Sometimes it’s that simple.

Reactions: Roeder
Purdue shot 56% from the field, 44% from the 3 point line, only turned it over 9 times and made more free throws (15) than UNC shot (12). Shoot the ball well. Don’t turn it over. Sometimes it’s that simple.
Efficiency is key. Especially in todays game. Keeping turnovers under 10, get to the line and hit at a good rate. You have to be good at defense too. Top 25 in offense and top 10 in defense gets you a championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT