ADVERTISEMENT

Drayvn Gibbs Lawhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, Purdue is not going to be able to compete in the NIL world of today...it is unfortunate, but, it is reality.

The ONLY reason he was ever a commit was his tie(s) to the area. Ironically, his having left the area and not retaining those ties is probably what worked most against Purdue in the end aside of NIL.

I recall at the time that he committed he pointed to the fact that Purdue was the #1 team in the country....something that lasted less than a week, and, after yet another epic fail in the NCAA tournament, the idea of playing there was less appealing as well.

Purdue was on the verge of something special with him and Colvin if they had been able to keep him...disappointing that it won't happen, but, also a precursor of things for Purdue basketball unfortunately.

It's disappointing. I think we all hoped he'd be here, but in the back of our heads you realize his jumping from HS to HS and AAU team to AAU team are an obvious red flag. His camp obviously wants NIL (can't blame them) and also is hell bent on him making it to NBA and don't think Purdue is the right place even though the last 2 dynamic guards were a top 5 pick and the other had the best NCAA tournament stretch in the last 5 years to get them drafted.

NIL has already made college sports not fun. A verbal commit is worthless these days. But regardless I knew the second I listened to him in an interview there was a 0% chance he was ever putting on the black and gold uniform
NIL will kill college sports...already has impacted it dramatically, but, it will kill it.

It is unrelated to verbally committing...

Talented kid...really had hoped that the hometown ties might be enough to sway him to play a year or two at Purdue, but, NIL pressure proved to be too much unfortunately...won't be the last time (more unfortunately).

I was just told how great of a recruiter Painter is. Izzo level.... LOL
Not fair to say that he "can't recruit" in that it is not true, but, any notion that he is elite in that regard is simply false, and, any notion that he is anywhere even close to Izzo level is outright ridiculous.

With NIL...it will be irrelevant...it already is proving to be.

It’s great that all these players are getting money, but what’s going to happen when they decide to stop going classes and are failing? What’s that going to look like?

Reactions: pboiler18
Not fair to say that he "can't recruit" in that it is not true, but, any notion that he is elite in that regard is simply false, and, any notion that he is anywhere even close to Izzo level is outright ridiculous.

NIL is now a part of recruiting whether or not people like it. And Painter needs to step the hell up in that department. He can influence people to donate more to nil collectives. Classes like 2022 ain't gonna cut it. 4 recruits and not a single one in the top 100. Pathetic honestly, for what is supposed to be a top level b1g program.

NIL is now a part of recruiting whether or not people like it. And Painter needs to step the hell up in that department. He can influence people to donate more to nil collectives. Classes like 2022 ain't gonna cut it. 4 recruits and not a single one in the top 100. Pathetic honestly, for what is supposed to be a top level b1g program.
Purdue will never be at the level needed from a NIL standpoint to do more than what you just saw in '22, and, even if it truly miraculously somehow were...the fallout from NIL will set them back to a point where it may not matter even.

Purdue is about to be an afterthought on a national scale as it stands.

if all schools knew the rules and played by them. Matt would compare fine with Izzo. That has not been the case in the past and certainly is not the case now.

NIL is not suppose to be a recruiting tool. I believe Matt is playing by the rules, his college wants him to play by.

if all schools knew the rules and played by them. Matt would compare fine with Izzo. That has not been the case in the past and certainly is not the case now.
Well, except for the fact that Izzo turned MSU into a national power and attracted elite talent seemingly without cheating...at least initially.

Regardless, it has never NOT been the case more so than now...and, it will never be more apparent than it is now (and moving forward).

Reactions: destewart
Purdue will never be at the level needed from a NIL standpoint to do more than what you just saw in '22, and, even if it truly miraculously somehow were...the fallout from NIL will set them back to a point where it may not matter even.

I think this is a most realistic assessment of Purdue and NIL.

It's so ridiculously out of control that I would have no problem with Purdue University taking a defiant stance and attempting to found a conference or association of like-minded schools that return to the concept of student-athletes. Call it the Federated National Intercollegiate League (FNIL).

Well, except for the fact that Izzo turned MSU into a national power and attracted elite talent seemingly without cheating...at least initially.

Regardless, it has never NOT been the case more so than now...and, it will never be more apparent than it is now (and moving forward).
Izzo has always played loose with the rules, Dawson's mom's bar ownership is one example.

I think this is a most realistic assessment of Purdue and NIL.

It's so ridiculously out of control that I would have no problem with Purdue University taking a defiant stance and attempting to found a conference or association of like-minded schools that return to the concept of student-athletes. Call it the Federated National Intercollegiate League (FNIL).
That’s probably where we’re going. Bigger schools become minor leagues where players have no affiliation with the program they rep besides where their logo and colors.

Some schools will have to break off and form own conference where it truly is collegiate/amateur athletics. The current state with NIL and super conferences are a joke.

Izzo has always played loose with the rules, Dawson's mom's bar ownership is one example.
Izzo had great success WAY before Dawson though...and, it was not because he played loose with the rules.

Later on...in cases like Dawson...when he was no longer securing the talent that he had...he absolutely made sacrifices, but, not initially while he was building the national power that he did.

The pressure to maintain (or approach even) what he had built led him to more or less selling his soul...but, he built a power through relentless recruiting and great coaching that made him a media darling and that has made him a household name and nationally celebrated coach.

Great, you're telling me that UNC and Duke are going to start outrecruiting Purdue now? So unfair!

It's disappointing. I think we all hoped he'd be here, but in the back of our heads you realize his jumping from HS to HS and AAU team to AAU team are an obvious red flag. His camp obviously wants NIL (can't blame them) and also is hell bent on him making it to NBA and don't think Purdue is the right place even though the last 2 dynamic guards were a top 5 pick and the other had the best NCAA tournament stretch in the last 5 years to get them drafted.
Not surprising but it hurts that its so late in the cycle. Purdue will have most everyone back next year so there are a lot of bodies at the guard position but I don't see "that guy" in the backcourt that will take us to the next level. Maybe it's Colvin but I don't see it as a freshmen and he's going to need some help.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Not surprising but it hurts that its so late in the cycle. Purdue will have most everyone back next year so there are a lot of bodies at the guard position but I don't see "that guy" in the backcourt that will take us to the next level. Maybe it's Colvin but I don't see it as a freshmen and he's going to need some help.
And Colvin seems to be more of a wing type player than a primary ball handling guard IMO. Really thought him and Gibbs would have paired well together.

NIL will kill college sports...already has impacted it dramatically, but, it will kill it.

It is unrelated to verbally committing...

Talented kid...really had hoped that the hometown ties might be enough to sway him to play a year or two at Purdue, but, NIL pressure proved to be too much unfortunately...won't be the last time (more unfortunately).
Can't help but wonder what the kids will be thinking when in a few years they're playing to empty or near areas.....

We all freaked out when CJ Walker backed out of his commitment and we ended up with Carsen. Not losing sleep over this one.

I’ve said it before, Painter needs to show loyalty to players for 1 year with an annual renewal. Go out and recruit over kids the moment they commit. If they want someone whispering that they can give them more, go for it. Annual full roster swap type classes.

Great, you're telling me that UNC and Duke are going to start outrecruiting Purdue now? So unfair!
It has never been an issue of "fairness"...nor is it one now.

UNC and Duke will continue to out-recruit Purdue...so will many other schools that already did...the difference now is that schools that had not, will also now out-recruit Purdue.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Maybe Purdue's best bet going forward in the NIL world is to continue getting hulking centers who are unlikely to play in the NBA and surround them with good shooters. I'm not sure you can go to a final four with that model but its model that can keep you competing for B1G crowns without any real NBA talent.

Can't help but wonder what the kids will be thinking when in a few years they're playing to empty or near areas.....
As long as they are getting paid, they won't care...

Not a lot of elite guys that were playing for the atmosphere (or even fans/fanbases) anyway.

It will be more interesting to see what schools think about it, as, it stand to impact them where it does not impact kids directly at all. Those that are paying kids and having success as a result won't care, but, the Purdue's of the world...the Minnesota's of the world...more so the Northwestern's of the world (or, even more so...the MAC schools of the world) will likely care.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
We all freaked out when CJ Walker backed out of his commitment and we ended up with Carsen. Not losing sleep over this one.

I’ve said it before, Painter needs to show loyalty to players for 1 year with an annual renewal. Go out and recruit over kids the moment they commit. If they want someone whispering that they can give them more, go for it. Annual full roster swap type classes.
Seems like some fans are consumed with the number behind the recruit and Painter seems to always come through for us. I did think that with that backcourt we would potentially see a F4.

Maybe Purdue's best bet going forward in the NIL world is to continue getting hulking centers who are unlikely to play in the NBA and surround them with good shooters. I'm not sure you can go to a final four with that model but its model that can keep you competing for B1G crowns without any real NBA talent.
How many B1G crowns has Purdue won with that model in recent years?

And, it has already shown that it is an incredibly monumental task for them to approach reaching a Final Four...that task is about to grow even more difficult likely...unless college basketball goes the way of college football where guys sit out the post-season to protect their draft stock.

The best opportunities that it had to reach a FF were with premier backcourt guys that were indeed NBA-talent (or, close to it in Edwards' case)...the odds of them landing a guy maybe like Edwards or Ivey may remain about the same, but, the odds of retaining them if/when they explode are less with the way things are (NIL and immediate eligibility with the transfer portal).

Eh, CJ Walker was not near the talent...then, or ever for that matter...and, there was no NIL then either.

Seems like some fans are consumed with the number behind the recruit and Painter seems to always come through for us. I did think that with that backcourt we would potentially see a F4.
I’m not overly concerned with the ranking number but stats don’t lie on 5star kids on a roster and making final fours. With that said, if the market is shifting around you and these kids aren’t loyal, why do you show them any loyalty?

Perhaps we are all wrong and the teams competing for the title in the next few years will be the ones who don’t pony up massive deals to get kids. Maybe it is the programs who get solid players who will stick around 3 years or more. Those are the kids who are bigger and more mature who bully young “superstars” when tourney time comes around.

Just spitballing.

I don't want to go off on some tangent or down any rabbit holes, but, just out of curiosity for the moment...what does "always come through" mean? In what respect?

And, regardless of the answer, NIL likely renders it irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT