ADVERTISEMENT

Draft experts raving about Hopkins

bananabucket

Redshirt Freshman
Feb 21, 2017
After our depressing omission from the draft last year, it's nice to actually have a few legit prospects this time around.

The guys from The Draft Network really know their stuff (I highly recommend it for any draftniks out there). Well lately a couple of them stumbled across Brycen Hopkins and dished out some serious praise:

Podcast (Hopkins part starts at 18:38)
https://player.fm/series/locked-on-...outing-tes-blah-blah-blah-we-found-a-good-one

Article:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/this-is-a-brycen-hopkins-fan-account

Last edited:
Does this possibly mean 2 first rounders next draft and one probably the 2021?

Bryce has the size and talent to do it. Hoping for a injury free year this year to show everyone what he can really do.

Bryce has the size and talent to do it. Hoping for a injury free year this year to show everyone what he can really do.
one of my favorite players on the team. Since he committed, kept my eye on his progress due to his height, weight, and pedigree. Once in awhile he drops a catchable ball but an overall really good prospect imo. Reminds me of Zach Ertz.

Last edited:
Didn’t CJB mention in an interview that everyone will be ready for Fall Camp except Worship?

Lorenzo Neal. McShay has him as 12th pick in first round

I LOVE me some Lorenzo Neal, but I'm surprised they have him that high after an ACL tear.

Talent wise though I believe he could go top 15. He was pushing the pocket and and being disruptive despite being double teamed and playing every snap last year. The defensive line getting destroyed by Auburn and Neal being out was not a coincidence IMO....

I LOVE me some Lorenzo Neal, but I'm surprised they have him that high after an ACL tear.

Talent wise though I believe he could go top 15. He was pushing the pocket and and being disruptive despite being double teamed and playing every snap last year. The defensive line getting destroyed by Auburn and Neal being out was not a coincidence IMO....
True nose tackles that can get a push on passing downs are rare. Neal, when healthy, is unique

Spent some time talking with Boilermaker great and fellow Class of 1980 alum, Keena Turner, at last fall's Iowa game. Following his outstanding playing career with the 49ers and helping win four Super Bowl rings, Keena now serves as Vice President of Football Affairs for the 49ers. He had very positive unsolicited comments about Hopkins during the game. Coming from someone who sees talent at the highest level, I believe that bodes well for Brycen following what we all hope will be a strong season for both him individually and the team.

Last edited:
Saw Hopkins play at Ensworth in high school and was really never that impressed. He always seemed a little lazy and not eager to finish plays.

I remember being shocked when he got the offer from PU.

But he has really blossomed at PU. There is a reason coaches get paid to evaluate and develop talent.

Saw Hopkins play at Ensworth in high school and was really never that impressed. He always seemed a little lazy and not eager to finish plays.

I remember being shocked when he got the offer from PU.

But he has really blossomed at PU. There is a reason coaches get paid to evaluate and develop talent.
What do IU fans know about football?

Were you at the Purdue @ IU basketball game this year? Did you hear the detestable slurs yelled at our players, including Matt Haarms? Don’t lecture me about class, Loosier.

What does that have to do with me? Even classier response btw.

What does that have to do with me? Even classier response btw.
Just love your backhanded compliment of one of the best TEs in the nation coming into this season. Hopkins was always a high-major recruit. He had an offer from Florida and interest from Auburn, UGA, NC ST, and Vandy. It’s not like he was a scrub. He may have been raw in HS, but his size (6’5” 240 lb), speed, and father’s tutelage certainly indicated a talented player. Just because you saw him poorly play in one game doesn’t mean he wasn’t going to make a good college (and potentially pro) player.

Pretty classy.....
LOL. An IU fan calling a high-school aged kid "lazy", and you want to call someone else "classy"?

Hypocrite much?

Why don't you go back to bed, and dream that your team actually wins a bowl game sometime in this century (i.e., something it hasn't done since 'Love Shack' was a hit).

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Just love your backhanded compliment of one of the best TEs in the nation coming into this season. Hopkins was always a high-major recruit. He had an offer from Florida and interest from Auburn, UGA, NC ST, and Vandy. It’s not like he was a scrub. He may have been raw in HS, but his size (6’5” 240 lb), speed, and father’s tutelage certainly indicated a talented player. Just because you saw him poorly play in one game doesn’t mean he wasn’t going to make a good college (and potentially pro) player.

Wasn't meant to be a "backhanded" compliment. I meant to credit the coaches (and Hopkins) for turning him into a potential pro. I saw him play football and basketball at least four times and (no offense) but he just never stood out. But then he played on an Ensworth team that was very good at running the ball and they didn't need to pass much at all. In basketball he was just bigger and taller than most and not overly athletic. Obviously, college weight training has paid off.

Last edited:
Wasn't meant to be a "backhanded" compliment. I meant to credit the coaches (and Hopkins) for turning him into a potential pro. I saw him play at least four times in person btw and (no offense) but he just never stood out. But then he played on an Ensworth team that was very good at running the ball and they didn't need to pass much at all.
Didnt he play only one year of HS ball?

LOL. An IU fan calling a high-school aged kid "lazy", and you want to call someone else "classy"?

Hypocrite much?

Why don't you go back to bed, and dream that your team actually wins a bowl game sometime in this century (i.e., something it hasn't done since 'Love Shack' was a hit).

I see nothing wrong with what he said. If you want IU to treat us with class, you need to start showing them some class too.

Reactions: delish1
LOL. You think it's okay for someone to insult a high school kid??? That speaks volumes about your character, or lack thereof.....

BTW, I saw some grade-school girls playing kickball this morning, and I feel as if they weren't giving it 100%, and were only going through the motions....I suppose want to hurl some insults at them?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT