ADVERTISEMENT

Doug McDermott signing with Pacers for 3 years and $22 million...compare to Dakota?

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
does McDermott have that much more athleticism than Dakota? Doug is a player that I think fits Dakota’s style and if he can get a contract like that after averaging 7.9 ppg, .8 ast, and 2.3 rbs...I honestly think Dakota has a legit chance of sticking in the league for awhile along with Vince.

does McDermott have that much more athleticism than Dakota? Doug is a player that I think fits Dakota’s style and if he can get a contract like that after averaging 7.9 ppg, .8 ast, and 2.3 rbs...I honestly think Dakota has a legit chance of sticking in the league for awhile along with Vince.

I think Dakota can carve a role in the NBA if he can prove he is not a total defensive liability at NBA level. McDermott is 6'8, which allows him to guard forwards. Mathias at 6'4 will have to prove he can stay in front of NBA 1s and 2s.

Per WiKipedia:

McDermott led the nation in scoring at 26.7 points per game.[19] At the end of his college career, he ranked fifth on the all-time NCAA Division I scoring list, with 3,150 points, which passed basketball Hall of Famer Larry Bird.[20] He became the first player in 29 years to be named to the AP All-America first team three times.[21] McDermott is one of three players in NCAA men's basketball history to record 3,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. He also set an NCAA record by scoring in double figures in 135 games.[1]

Per WiKipedia:

McDermott led the nation in scoring at 26.7 points per game.[19] At the end of his college career, he ranked fifth on the all-time NCAA Division I scoring list, with 3,150 points, which passed basketball Hall of Famer Larry Bird.[20] He became the first player in 29 years to be named to the AP All-America first team three times.[21] McDermott is one of three players in NCAA men's basketball history to record 3,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. He also set an NCAA record by scoring in double figures in 135 games.[1]
Again, I mentioned athleticism....not scoring.

A better-shooting, slightly worse handles, but equally consistent max effort Matthew Dellavedova is IMO a good blueprint for Dakota making and sticking in the NBA.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
A better-shooting, slightly worse handles, but equally consistent max effort Matthew Dellavedova is IMO a good blueprint for Dakota making and sticking in the NBA.
Very true but my original thought was that if Doug McDermott can make a living and get a contract like that, Mathias coukd as well.

Truth be told...i am really hoping Mathias makes a roster so I can go on the national board and call out a few posters who said I was an idiot for claiming as such. Clearly Mathias was highly regarded as he was signed ASAP with a great FA contract.

Lol

Even if mathias somehow makes a roster, which is highly unlikely, he would most likely never play any meaningful minutes. Have never saw him as an nba caliber player.

lol what kind of a response is this? It's like you're just trying to pick a fight. It has nothing to do with this discussion nor does it prove anything about Mathias.
WRONG! Bryant failing absolutely proves Dakota is a star in the making.

Wait... Sorry... I thought this was the Official Argument Thread.

Reactions: IUbaseball10
"Doug McDermott signing with Pacers for 3 years and $22 million...compare to Dakota?"

Well one is very rich, the other not so much.

But the rich guy only has to guard frontliners. Dakota IF he makes it, would have to guard the quick guys....that might be enough difference to keep him out of the NBA money.

The Matthew Dellavedova is the only comparison that makes sense. He'll need luck, but I would love to see him make the Cavs. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to make an NBA roster.

Just for comparison, our consensus All-American and best pro prospect of the last decade was in the G-league last year.. but I think he will be playing good minutes this season.

The Matthew Dellavedova is the only comparison that makes sense. He'll need luck, but I would love to see him make the Cavs. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to make an NBA roster.

Just for comparison, our consensus All-American and best pro prospect of the last decade was in the G-league last year.. but I think he will be playing good minutes this season.

I think losing LeBron helps because they can play Mathias and ‘tank’ for a few years while they stock up on draft picks. He’d be a good end of the bench and culture guy for a rebuilding organization.

ADVERTISEMENT