ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t Miss Tim Newton’s interview of Katie and Sharon

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
It is nearly 27 mins and Katie says almost all the things you want to hear. Such as “Getting out and recruiting is first and foremost on my mind.” - Katie Gearlds.

The interview made me realize how little experience Katie has. Only ONE assistant coach on her entire staff. As others have said, NAIA is much different than the Power 5.

Versyp said there will be over 1000 players in the portal. WOW! Of course, who knows what the NCAA will be like after the Supreme Court ruling in June or whenever. I don’t think it went well for them in their hearing this Monday.

Tim Newton Interview

Last edited:
Reactions: z_one and Russ Ford
Not very hard hitting. Tim works for the University so it's going to be sugarcoated fluff. I love Katie and wish her well but she's got a really hard job getting this program back to any semblance of competitiveness.

No questions about the current Purdue players in the transfer portal and Sharon was really trying to spin this upcoming season and the current squad as exciting and high expectations, etc. I just wish that a regular media source would interview them and ask more hard hitting questions. It's a fluff piece and a promotion tool for the program and if you know that and are ok with that it's a good interview. Just didn't address the elephants in the room though.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I would like to know what Katie thinks of Sharon having to recruit in Canada, Switzerland, England, etc. That's how far this program has fallen. Will she accept the 2022 class that Sharon has recruited where 2 of the 3 are from Toronto and Switzerland? What are Katie's thoughts of 4 starters from this last season being in the transfer portal and has she reached out to them...why are they transferring? Those are the elephant in the room questions that Tim Newton avoided asking, and much, much more!

• Haha
I would like to know what Katie thinks of Sharon having to recruit in Canada, Switzerland, England, etc. That's how far this program has fallen. Will she accept the 2022 class that Sharon has recruited where 2 of the 3 are from Toronto and Switzerland? What are Katie's thoughts of 4 starters from this last season being in the transfer portal and has she reached out to them...why are they transferring? Those are the elephant in the room questions that Tim Newton avoided asking, and much, much more!

What's with the assumption that foreign players can't play? Or have you watched these players extensively?

Reactions: z_one and DocRon
What's with the assumption that foreign players can't play? Or have you watched these players extensively?
Agree. Fatou was honorable mention All Big Ten. Farquhar could have been All-Big Ten if she had not blown out her ACL. Lots of Americans played in the Big Ten and did not achieve that level.

Reactions: TC4THREE
No questions about the current Purdue players in the transfer portal and Sharon was really trying to spin this upcoming season and the current squad as exciting and high expectations, etc. I just wish that a regular media source would interview them and ask more hard hitting questions. It's a fluff piece and a promotion tool for the program and if you know that and are ok with that it's a good interview. Just didn't address the elephants in the room though.
I understand your frustration. I recommended the interview because I think it did give insight into the interaction between Versyp and Gearlds. And it was good to hear Katie stress the things that she did. Of course a Purdue Sports interview is not going to rake Versyp over the coals for her failings... did you really expect that? Where do you really see interviews like that in college sports?

You can dwell on the negative and how bad the team has been this year and others, or you can be hopeful that this change will result in improvement and, ultimately, excellence. I chose the latter path.

Oh come on....Sharon has recruited at least half a dozen or more foreign players and only one Farquhar turned to out be an above average player....It's a sign that this program is in the dumper....that for whatever reasons she can't recruit quality recruits on a consistent basis in Indiana, and the U.S. It's an embarrassment imho.

Tell me what foreign players that Sharon has recruited that have been considered good to very good and were all big ten players or even starters besides Farquhar? I'll wait for that non existent long list...

One of the long laundry list of reasons that Sharon is on her way out the door is her having to rely on Canadian, UK and now Swiss players because she can't recruit in her own country on a consistent basis. I realize that there could be quality recruits in other countries but that isn't the case here. And you know it!

Oh come on....Sharon has recruited at least half a dozen or more foreign players and only one Farquhar turned to out be an above average player....It's a sign that this program is in the dumper....that for whatever reasons she can't recruit quality recruits on a consistent basis in Indiana, and the U.S. It's an embarrassment imho.

So you know nothing about the recruits other than where they are from. That's what I figured.

One of the long laundry list of reasons that Sharon is on her way out the door is her having to rely on Canadian, UK and now Swiss players because she can't recruit in her own country on a consistent basis. I realize that there could be quality recruits in other countries but that isn't the case here. And you know it!

You don't know it. You're just throwing an online temper tantrum.

Agree. Fatou was honorable mention All Big Ten. Farquhar could have been All-Big Ten if she had not blown out her ACL. Lots of Americans played in the Big Ten and did not achieve that level.

You don't know it. You're just throwing an online temper tantrum.
not at all... you're trying to defend the indefensible and the reason that Sharon didn't succeed is wrapped up in her inability to recruit...And the biggest sign of that is her reliance on players from Canada, the UK and in 2022 another Canadian player and a Swiss PG... It's embarrassing.

This was a top WBB program in America just a few short years ago... and it's been driven into oblivion and one of the signs of that is Versyp having to dip into Canada to get recruits and other countries and only one has really panned out and the question to Katie Gearlds should be "Are you ok with that?" "Do you see yourself dipping into Canada to recruit players or do you feel that you have good enough contacts here in America to recruit high level American players?".

not at all... you're trying to defend the indefensible and the reason that Sharon didn't succeed is wrapped up in her inability to recruit...And the biggest sign of that is her reliance on players from Canada, the UK and in 2022 another Canadian player and a Swiss PG... It's embarrassing.

Who cares where a player is from? Not me. If they can play, they can play. If they can't, they can't. Your issue should be the quality of the player, not their country of origin.

This was a top WBB program in America just a few short years ago... and it's been driven into oblivion and one of the signs of that is Versyp having to dip into Canada to get recruits and other countries and only one has really panned out and the question to Katie Gearlds should be "Are you ok with that?" "Do you see yourself dipping into Canada to recruit players or do you feel that you have good enough contacts here in America to recruit high level American players?".

The main reason the women's program has gone down hill is old man Merriweather. After Katrina got in trouble and had to resign or be fired he has poisoned the well with regards to women's basketball. He has made no secret over the years that he was out to destroy women's basketball at Purdue and he got it done. Maybe now that his daughter has taken over at Memphis he will cool his jets. Somehow, I doubt it. Gearlds should be able to counteract some of his bile, but Versyp couldn't get over the hump. I'm not totally absolving Versyp as her stlye of play left much to be desired. But early on she ran into roadblock after roadblock left by Merriweather.

Reactions: DocRon
The point is the surest sign of Versyp's recruiting disasters was her having to find warm bodies anywhere she could. And it was an embarrassment. She can't recruit the talent to take the program to the next level and that's why her tenure is basically now over.

The point is the surest sign of Versyp's recruiting disasters was her having to find warm bodies anywhere she could. And it was an embarrassment. She can't recruit the talent to take the program to the next level and that's why her tenure is basically now over.

The majority of her disasters stem from the minefield that Merriweather set. Again, I'm not a fan of Versyp's style of play, but let's be honest about the situation that she walked into. It wasn't good and she was left to still the waters of a raging sea. And that is putting it mildly.

The main reason the women's program has gone down hill is old man Merriweather. After Katrina got in trouble and had to resign or be fired he has poisoned the well with regards to women's basketball. He has made no secret over the years that he was out to destroy women's basketball at Purdue and he got it done. Maybe now that his daughter has taken over at Memphis he will cool his jets. Somehow, I doubt it. Gearlds should be able to counteract some of his bile, but Versyp couldn't get over the hump. I'm not totally absolving Versyp as her stlye of play left much to be desired. But early on she ran into roadblock after roadblock left by Merriweather.
Seems to me the culprit in all of the wbb disasters is Lin Dunn. Merriweather seems to be still a Purdue fan on Oldgoldfreepress. I recall SV going to try to salvage the big girl from Indy and being quoted as "I am not going to beg anyone to come to Purdue" which is typical SV if you have ever had a conversation with her. She is verey receptive of compliments and very defensive otherwise. Her significant other was the personable member of the pair and I assume when she had physical problems she could not be SV's front person. BTW I think Harris from Indy was a Merriweather recruit who could have gone a lot of different places. I think SV failed to develop her athleticism for whatever reason.

Seems to me the culprit in all of the wbb disasters is Lin Dunn. Merriweather seems to be still a Purdue fan on Oldgoldfreepress. I recall SV going to try to salvage the big girl from Indy and being quoted as "I am not going to beg anyone to come to Purdue" which is typical SV if you have ever had a conversation with her. She is verey receptive of compliments and very defensive otherwise. Her significant other was the personable member of the pair and I assume when she had physical problems she could not be SV's front person. BTW I think Harris from Indy was a Merriweather recruit who could have gone a lot of different places. I think SV failed to develop her athleticism for whatever reason.

But Dunn was long gone before the Curry situation. I never thought it was all on Katrina Merriweather in that situation either. I really blamed Curry and thought she was really responsible. Of course, I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation. I got most of my information from what I read on here and other places. But in the end, the school was saddled with the situation. Just like with Keady and Kendrick, the school took the heat in the end and suffered the consequences, along with Kendrick and Merriweather. Seems like in the end all parties pay a price.

Reactions: TC4THREE and DocRon
But Dunn was long gone before the Curry situation. I never thought it was all on Katrina Merriweather in that situation either. I really blamed Curry and thought she was really responsible. Of course, I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation. I got most of my information from what I read on here and other places. But in the end, the school was saddled with the situation. Just like with Keady and Kendrick, the school took the heat in the end and suffered the consequences, along with Kendrick and Merriweather. Seems like in the end all parties pay a price.
Well, Merriweather certainly came out of it better than the Purdue program did.

Reactions: z_one
Well, Merriweather certainly came out of it better than the Purdue program did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT