ADVERTISEMENT

Does the schedule need to be lightened up going forward?

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
doesnt get much lighter than EMU, that I know...but to move forward does Purdue need to take the Minnesota and IU approach of easing in to conference play to ensure 2-3 victories and getting to a bowl game? At the end of the season, nobody cares who you played in September as long as you got to 6 wins because it means 2-4 weeks of extra practice and that can’t be overstated in how important that is to improve a program.

2018:
EMU
BC
Missouri

2019:
@ Nevada
TCU
Candy

2020:
Memphis
Air Force
@ BC

2021:
Oregon State
@ Notre Dame

2022:
Indiana State

2023:
@ Virginia Tech

2024:
Indiana State
Notre Dame
@ Oregon State

So how is that cream puff approach working for IU? Lots of successive bowl games for them so far.

I really don't like starting the season against a conference opponent; especially given the result. It is kinda of like not having a preseason. I sort of agree that a couple of cream puffs helps get your momentum going before the tougher games begin. EMU was supposed to be a cream puff but we found a way to let them win.

Who is Candy ?

My opinion is that for a school like Purdue that has faced such a long drought of success, and we're not really that great of a team, we need a cream puff schedule to build upon and up our record until we can start recruiting and fielding a better team.

at the end of the day, winning sells tickets and also attract recruits. if we lose to Missouri, which is highly likely, all the buzz from last year will have worn off as we start the year 0-3. . I hate to say it, but nobody is a fan of a 5-7 or 4-8 team. and yo u can be t if we lose next week, this board will be overloaded with negative posts. and then there wil l be the arguments from people trying to defend the program.

and once the buzz has worn off, you'll quickly see the fans and recruits looking elsewhere. At this point, no recruits are signed. We just have verbals. And we have some elite recruits who are watching us, but haven't committed. if we continue to lose, we will no doubt lose some of our current verbals, and those other recruits who are currently considering us will also soon lose interest and sign elsewhere.

To keep our current recruits and attract other elite recruits, we need to WIN. it doesn't matter against who. if we don't win, we don't go to bowl games. and no bowl games equals fewer fans and fewer elite recruits. it's a downward spiral. Why was Hazell fired? Loss of Revenue !!! and what produces revenue? WINNING !

it doesn't matter against who. People don't come to games to watch a quality opponent play. A 7-6 or 8-5 record against creampuffs is what people want. a 4-8 record against tough competition doesn't sell tickets. No Purdue fan wants to come to a Purdue game just to watch Penn St or OSU or Notre Dame. they come to see Purdue WIN !!!

doesnt get much lighter than EMU, that I know...but to move forward does Purdue need to take the Minnesota and IU approach of easing in to conference play to ensure 2-3 victories and getting to a bowl game? At the end of the season, nobody cares who you played in September as long as you got to 6 wins because it means 2-4 weeks of extra practice and that can’t be overstated in how important that is to improve a program.

2018:
EMU
BC
Missouri

2019:
@ Nevada
TCU
Candy

2020:
Memphis
Air Force
@ BC

2021:
Oregon State
@ Notre Dame

2022:
Indiana State

2023:
@ Virginia Tech

2024:
Indiana State
Notre Dame
@ Oregon State

Are you proposing we back out of our current agreements? The first year we can take action on your idea is 2021. I hope we’re still not this bad then.

The way they are playing, I don't know if there can be any easing at all that would help them unless perhaps they can get the opposing team not to show up!

Yes. Wow at 2019 and 2020. When did we decide these? Fully ok with just 1 tough non-conf matchup a year.

2018:
EMU
BC
Missouri

2019:
@ Nevada
TCU
Candy

2020:
Memphis
Air Force
@ BC

2021:
Oregon State
@ Notre Dame

2022:
Indiana State

2023:
@ Virginia Tech

2024:
Indiana State
Notre Dame
@ Oregon State
That 2019 game with Candy will be a B.

It is hard to lighten or strengthen a schedule too much as this stuff is done years out. Like when they put Hawaii on for 2006(?) that was when Hawaii was really trending up and we lost. It was scheduled in the 90s when Hawaii was trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT