ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Marquette game increase our ranking?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Was that a marquee game that improves our top 25 ranking?

Time will tell but hats off to these Boilers who kept fighting and pulled out the win.

Reactions: Schnelk
Was that a marquee game that improves our top 25 ranking?

Time will tell but hats off to these Boilers who kept fighting and pulled out the win.

Michigan State will surely get into the AP rankings after knocking off Kentucky. They were getting the most votes among the unranked, and next was Purdue. I think Purdue might sneak into the 20's in the AP and maybe move a spot or two up in the coaches poll. Of course, if there are some other losses, that will help.

Enjoy it while you can (I say that a lot these days as Father Time keeps trying to knock).

giphy.gif

I doubt it. While PU came back and won, Marquette isn't a powerhouse of any making.
But... but...but...Shaka was the next best thing to sliced bread and PJ Fleck.

I see your point. Let's see how the games play out this week and next and maybe Purdue can move up some.

Rankings mean nothing. That being said, hopefully Marquette does well throughout the season so this looks like a good win by the time March comes around. I feel like we may need it.

I think it will end up being a decent NET win.....optimistically they could be a fringe/bubble team if they have a good year. Big East is good, but I don't think it's as strong as some recent years.

And now, I will remove my Black & Old Gold glasses.....where did everybody go???

Reactions: purduepat1969
Marquette is a good team and respected by many voters! The fact Purdue won is likely to push them up in the poll because somebody will lose and fall. Before the year started, this was seen as a game against a quality opponent. At the end of the year, I believe this win will be looked at as a quality win.

I look at in a little different perspective. Rather than helping improve our rating, I look at it as improving our play. We were down by almost 10 points in the second half. We could have tossed in the towel. Rather, we got our game together and took the lead. And rather than like the past, we were able to control that last minute and our lead when in the past we would lose that lead! There are a lot of positives from this game!

Reactions: Emartin70287
I think it will end up being a decent NET win.....optimistically they could be a fringe/bubble team if they have a good year. Big East is good, but I don't think it's as strong as some recent years.

And now, I will remove my Black & Old Gold glasses.....where did everybody go???
I wouldn’t be surprised if they made the tournament as a 9 seed or something like that. Definitely not a bad team. I think they defend pretty well and can make shots. I have no idea how good Purdue really is. I think it will change over time.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I look at Maquette as a bubble team. A lot of people look at Purdue as a bubble team. When the selections begin, it’s always nice to say you beat a bubble team.

Look At Louisville. They are 0-3 losing all three of their games by 1 point. If Purdue beat Louisville, despite their record, most people would say it was a win over a traditional quality team.

I would assume so. Computers did not seem to value Marquette much at all though. Hopefully they can make some noise in the Big East. Seems pretty open behind Creighton

It depends what teams in 20-25 do. I don’t think we will leapfrog anyone that wins and wil need at least 2 to lose wirh MSU getting in.

It depends what teams in 20-25 do. I don’t think we will leapfrog anyone that wins and wil need at least 2 to lose wirh MSU getting in.
even if we sneak into the top 25 w/ the upcoming schedule who knows how long that would last. I wanna see how this team looks at the end of the year.

Purdue debuts in AP Poll this year @ #24. Up a spot to #23 in the coaches poll.

Maryland in @ 23 and Iowa @ 25.....Michigan State catapults to #12 off the Kentucky win and beating Villanova. Indiana is up to #11 with Illinois up to #16. Michigan dropped out.

Some big games just ahead for the Boilers......should be an interesting holiday season.

Last edited:
Purdue debuts in AP Poll this year @ #24. Up a spot to #23 in the coaches poll.

Maryland in @ 23 and Iowa @ 25.....Michigan State catapults to #12 off the Kentucky win and beating Villanova. Indiana is up to #11 with Illinois up to #16. Michigan dropped out.

Some big games just ahead for the Boilers......should be an interesting holiday season.
Michigan did not look impressive last night against Ohio. They needed an extra frame to win that one. I am personally looking forward to another Juwan Howard meltdown this year. Wonder if he will choke slam someone?

Michigan did not look impressive last night against Ohio. They needed an extra frame to win that one. I am personally looking forward to another Juwan Howard meltdown this year. Wonder if he will choke slam someone?
Howard is an embarrassment but I hope he doesnt ruin it for his son. That kid has some real talent

What was the word on Marquette and their season expectations before we played them...anyone know offhand?

I was looking at Baylor’s W/L’s and was wondering why they were ranked 6th. Preseason hype coming full circle. Arkansas kind of feeling the same after their last 5 minutes win over Troy last night but they will definitely right that ship soon. Marquette is legit, we knew it when we played them. Expect a respectable ranking after some of these preseason prima donnas start getting exposed a bit.

Early rankings can definitely be misleading, but that was some curb stomping.

It would be great if Marquette turns out to be an NCAA Tournament team.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I was looking at Baylor’s W/L’s and was wondering why they were ranked 6th. Preseason hype coming full circle. Arkansas kind of feeling the same after their last 5 minutes win over Troy last night but they will definitely right that ship soon. Marquette is legit, we knew it when we played them. Expect a respectable ranking after some of these preseason prima donnas start getting exposed a bit.
I don’t think anyone knew Marquette was “legit” when we played them. Same could be said about Purdue. Now I think it’s safe to say preseason expectations (eg marquette to finish 9th) we’re clearly off.

I don’t think anyone knew Marquette was “legit” when we played them. Same could be said about Purdue. Now I think it’s safe to say preseason expectations (eg marquette to finish 9th) we’re clearly off.
I suppose I should’ve said “we figured that out pretty quickly when we played them”. They played us hard and will win a lot of games this year based on their grit, pace of play, and talent.

I suppose I should’ve said “we figured that out pretty quickly when we played them”. They played us hard and will win a lot of games this year based on their grit, pace of play, and talent.
To be honest I thought we escaped with a win over a mediocre team at that point. I didn’t think we were great. Those early games with dismal 3 point shooting were tough to watch. St John’s seems to be pretty good in the Big East. Will be interesting to watch that conference shake out. Right now our last four wins are all looking like they will be great NCAA resume boosters.

How can you say Marquette is a good team even though they beat #6 Baylor by more than 25 points? Kirkwood Hoosier assured us that Marquette was nothing but mediocre at best. dws

Last edited:
Doubt it will but if they end the year top 25 could help seeding a lot. Would be 3 or 4 top 25 non conf wins and 3 off home floor. Not many resumes will stack up that well against us. Hopefully we can win today and FSU can figure it out and end up around .500 in ACC too

Kenpom defense efficiency went up 4 spots from 27 to 23 because of the Marquette blow out win over Baylor!

Reactions: TX4GB
7 footer Zach Loveday with only 3 minutes for Baylor as a junior. I remember he was on our radar. LJ Cryer seems to be their best player.

I think a lot of kids on our radar went places where they were not coached as well. They dont see the success they might have if they had chosen a better coach.
Quite right. Painter & Staff are great at developing players, especially in the post. Over the weekend, Eddy's Mom was interviewed on tv. She said Zach was so happy playing for Purdue and how much he appreciated the work of the coaches in helping him improve as a player. She was very happy and very complimentary.

7 footer Zach Loveday with only 3 minutes for Baylor as a junior. I remember he was on our radar. LJ Cryer seems to be their best player.

Their 3 guards Cryer, Flagler, and George are all very good and do most of their scoring. Cryer and Flagler average almost 35 minutes per game against actual competition (Virgina, UCLA, Marquette) Their front court is suspect for sure.

Reactions: TX4GB
Quite right. Painter & Staff are great at developing players, especially in the post. Over the weekend, Eddy's Mom was interviewed on tv. She said Zach was so happy playing for Purdue and how much he appreciated the work of the coaches in helping him improve as a player. She was very happy and very complimentary.
From a reserve in HS to a potential NCAA POY. We all know that Edey is not the prototypical NBA center in the 21st Century NBA. But the fact that scouts are looking at him and are intrigued by him shows that he has come a long way since he was recruited and wasn't starting on his HS team.

Their 3 guards Cryer, Flagler, and George are all very good and do most of their scoring. Cryer and Flagler average almost 35 minutes per game against actual competition (Virgina, UCLA, Marquette) Their front court is suspect for sure.
Looks like they get a lot of steals, too. Purdue will have to continue their trend of taking care of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT