ADVERTISEMENT

Does focusing or putting the emphasis on defense retard your offense?

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Serious question. I never played organized ball, it was all pickup where you "run-n-gun" (or perhaps "run-n-chuck" was more accurate in my case) and your D was trying to stop one guy from shooting or getting past you. At the collegiate level, if you are putting all of your energy and concentration into the D, how easy is it to switch back over to the offensive flow at the other end of the court? What are the stats offensive for good D teams?

Reactions: Schnelk
sorting on KenPom, the top 10 defensive teams are ranked this way on O (we are 31 on D and 5 on O)

1 - 38
2 -14 - Houston
3 - 110
4 - 10 - UCONN
5 - 35
6 - 7 - UCLA
7 - 195
8 - 50
9 - 52
10 - 113

sorting on KenPom, the top 10 defensive teams are ranked this way on O (we are 31 on D and 5 on O)

1 - 38
2 -14 - Houston
3 - 110
4 - 10 - UCONN
5 - 35
6 - 7 - UCLA
7 - 195
8 - 50
9 - 52
10 - 113
Thanks, I was looking for something like that. Is/was Rutgers 3rd on D? I would also wonder if Zach doesn't help us out a LOT on offensive efficiency since he's putting them away around the rim on a consistent basis. Take him out and..... UCLA, what an odd position. The "leap to conclusion" would be they should be the best team in the nation (since they have he best numbers for both).

Thanks, I was looking for something like that. Is/was Rutgers 3rd on D? I would also wonder if Zach doesn't help us out a LOT on offensive efficiency since he's putting them away around the rim on a consistent basis. Take him out and..... UCLA, what an odd position. The "leap to conclusion" would be they should be the best team in the nation (since they have he best numbers for both).
No, because statistics never tell the whole story.
It does suggest that they should be one of the best teams for sure.

Rutgers is 3 - 112

Good question. Not sure how many really good D players are also really good offensive players. O is the priority in the NBA where D seems to be a casual after thought.
If I had to choose, I'd trade offense for defense.

The top KenPom Def teams are ranked 2, 1, 15, 4, 9 overall
The top KenPom Off teams are ranked 6, 11, 13, 12, 7 overall
Purdue is #5 off - 32 Def - 7 overall
O$U is #2 Off - 66 Def - 11 overall

ADVERTISEMENT