ADVERTISEMENT

Do we really want USC in the B1G?

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Lendale White was interviewed recently and he declared that while at USC, he moved into an apartment and upon doing so was greeted with a duffel bag containing $150K in cash. It obviously came from a booster of the football program. He was not an isolated case; Reggie Bush got improper payments as well and this has been certified. Does anyone believe that these are the only two cases? Why does it make sense to let USC in when they cheat and are likely to still behave in this manner? I would rather see Stanford than USC in the B1G?

Last edited:
“Allegedly”
Lol, but Illinois is proven fact?

First of all, I’m not sure what is event “cheating” anymore with NIL … if you have the money, you pay it. Second of all, from the few D1 football/basketball players I’ve been able to talk to, I think “gray area” stuff has gone on at every Power Five/BCS program in the nation for decades … Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, doesn’t matter. There’s so much money to be made in these sports.

As for the question of the thread … we don’t have to LIKE it, but we do have to ACCEPT that mega conferences are the (near) future, and the teams that get added will be judged on how much immediate or (possibly more importantly) potential money they can bring the conference. “We should add Iowa State, they’re a natural fit!”-type arguments are practically simple-minded, at this point. Just the world we live in. 😞

Last edited:
Reactions: indyogb
On the contrary I believe one has to cheat to lock up the bottom of the B1G on an annual basis.
Forget BT. They have locked up worst all time FBS program by losses, which they don't appear to be relinquishing anytime soon, if ever. Good for them. Prestigious award.

Reactions: delarno
USC and UCLA are both good at football and basketball. They would drastically expand the Big10's TV markets. It would probably allow the Big10 to put a football game in a time slot that would be very well viewed nationally on Saturday evenings. The viewer could watch a mountain west game or a Big10 game. I would imagine that everyone would make money.

Lendale White was interviewed recently and he declared that while at USC, he moved into an apartment and upon doing so was greeted with a duffel bag containing $150K in cash. It obviously came from a booster of the football program. He was no an isolated case; Reggie Bush got improper payments as well and this has been certified. Does anyone believe that these are the only two cases? Why does it make sense to let USC in when they cheat and are likely to still behave in this manner? I would rather see Stanford than USC in the B1G?
you make excellent points

It’s not about cheating! It’s plain and simple about$$$ and market share and media coverage. What the BIG 10 network wanted, they got. In the future we’ll be watching reruns of usc and notre dame games

Here’s how I think about it:

- All things being equal, I would rather play Michigan/Wisconsin every year than play Rutgers/MD/UCLA/Nebraska.
- but everything is not equal. The additions over the past few years has lined Purdue’s pockets with an absurd amount of money.

Look at it like Purdue’s getting paid $20M per year to play USC/UCLA every once in awhile.

A secondary note:
I am one of those fans farther out in the diaspora. Going to a game in LA is closer than going back to WL. So I also am excited for selfish reasons.

Reactions: indyogb
ADVERTISEMENT