ADVERTISEMENT

Ditch the 2 QB system

Mizzou's defense was generous last night.

But, quarterback instability has been a chronic problem at Purdue for a decade. Since Curtis Painter graduated in 2008, only Joey Elliott (2009) and David Blough (2016) have played an entire season at the position.

Sifted through some Purdue passing stats from 2017 and 2018. Put each game into 1 of 2 categories: (1) one in which there was a clear-cut starting QB going into the game due to injury and (2) one in which both QBs were prepped and ready to play in some capacity. I threw out last year's Wisconsin game because although Blough was cleared to play and the team likely prepped as if he could, Sindelar ended up playing the entire game, so it doesn't fit cleanly into either category.

Here's what I found..

When there was a clear-cut starter who prepped to start and played the entire game: 162-262-1896 (61.8 CMP%, 7.2 YPA), 15 TD, 3 INT [6 games]

When the reps were split: 197-320-2128 (61.5 CMP%, 6.6 YPA), 17 TD, 11 INT [9 games]

Is it a surprise yesterday was Blough's breakout game and not the previous 2 weeks?
I was an Eli guy to start the year. But right now, I'm just interested to see what happens going all-in on one QB.

Last edited:
The big difference in the statistics is the number of interceptions. Perhaps warming up a new quarterback and getting him involved in the flow of the game is responsible for this.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
The big difference in the statistics is the number of interceptions. Perhaps warming up a new quarterback and getting him involved in the flow of the game is responsible for this.
Or perhaps it's because they know they're going to get the hook and are pressing to do more in less time.

It's all categories, really. I failed to mention it is 6 games versus 9. So there have been more TD's per game (2.5 versus 1.9) and more yards per game (316 versus 236) when it is a one QB team.

There are probably instances where the 2 QB system works, and I'm not saying Brohm is philosophically wrong. But in this particular case it would appear we have a sufficient sample size to say both guys perform better when they have a firm grip on the reigns.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT