ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed But Not Disheartened

ghostoffatjack

Sophomore
Jun 15, 2013
No doubt Purdue needs to clean up a few things. Rushing game only had a few good plays. If they were Zone Read calls rather than straight runs Card needs to step up! O Line had a tough day and with our third or fourth center playing maybe they made bad blocking scheme calls at the line of scrimmage! Both the O and D had their moments but the D faultered on too many third downs. Biggest issue to me was we looked a little out of shape to handle the day game and I did not expect that. Good news is that the B1G West Division teams all looked rather bad despite winning! All can be fixed so we will see if they are in the non-conference part of the schedule!

Agree. Even with a new coaching staff and many new players the same old problems were evident. Missed tackles, no push on the lines, not much D backfield pressure and sloppy receiver coverage by the corners giving up big plays. This was a winnable game. Would have liked to seen Mock given some plays on the outside edges and used those crazy legs to do what he does best. There were some good plays made on both sides of the ball, just not consistent. Dillon T looks to be a legit rising star. Eager to see how the coaching staff adjusts and uses what they saw to improve.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Agree. Even with a new coaching staff and many new players the same old problems were evident. Missed tackles, no push on the lines, not much D backfield pressure and sloppy receiver coverage by the corners giving up big plays. This was a winnable game. Would have liked to seen Mock given some plays on the outside edges and used those crazy legs to do what he does best. There were some good plays made on both sides of the ball, just not consistent. Dillon T looks to be a legit rising star. Eager to see how the coaching staff adjusts and uses what they saw to improve.
You could say it was only Danny Hope bad and not Darrell Hazell bad.

No doubt Purdue needs to clean up a few things. Rushing game only had a few good plays. If they were Zone Read calls rather than straight runs Card needs to step up! O Line had a tough day and with our third or fourth center playing maybe they made bad blocking scheme calls at the line of scrimmage! Both the O and D had their moments but the D faultered on too many third downs. Biggest issue to me was we looked a little out of shape to handle the day game and I did not expect that. Good news is that the B1G West Division teams all looked rather bad despite winning! All can be fixed so we will see if they are in the non-conference part of the schedule!
This is pretty much where I am. Biggest issues were Secondary and O-line depth, which was expected. Recruiting is working to rectify that. Aside from Ohio State and Michigan every game is winnable. Also, Fresno is a solid program with four 10 win seasons in the last six years. They are one of the better Group of Five teams and are probably better than a decent number of Power 5 teams.

This is pretty much where I am. Biggest issues were Secondary and O-line depth, which was expected. Recruiting is working to rectify that. Aside from Ohio State and Michigan every game is winnable. Also, Fresno is a solid program with four 10 win seasons in the last six years. They are one of the better Group of Five teams and are probably better than a decent number of Power 5 teams.
agree on Fresno, that's why I picked them to win game. Our D, I wasn't expecting to see the 85 Bears but I didn't think we'd give up 39 to them.

Reactions: Bippus33
I’d trade average return efforts we saw from Brohm for his offensive and defensive scheming right about now.
Hard to disagree with this - but to be fair, Brohm’s defense was nothing to brag about; we couldn’t get off the field consistently under CJB, and I saw scant evidence today that this glaring weakness is going to be corrected anytime soon

Tedford and his staff thoroughly schooled Walters- that’s the most disappointing thing to me- Purdue had more than enough talent to win by double digits, but couldn’t recognize and adapt correctly to situations…

That is SQUARELY on CRW and his staff, and it’s my biggest worry as the boy and I head to Blacksburg this weekend to face a beatable VA Tech team.

Coach Walters really started from behind the 8-ball. Late choice of coach who had to make do with what was available, and for a first-time coach he did well. Blame O line problems and secondary problems on the last coach who left the cupboard bare having these problems when he was coach. Note how one of the better O linemen went into the transfer portal, he knew what to expect this year. Walter's tried to fix these problems with the best players available, he can't be faulted that no better players were out there that wanted to come to Purdue.

So he could have made some better choices during the game, but after all this was his first game as a head coach. When his recruits arrive in a few years things should get better. Hopefully adjustments can be made on both offense and defense to take care of some of the problems. It would have been nice to see them made during the game, for instance instead of seeing multiple plays made to score a few yard touchdown running the same ineffective play over and over again.

But what I find disturbing this season and last season is that when the team is ahead the offense quits playing and scoring unless the opponents score. It's amazing how then they can march down the length of the field and score, but then return to their complacency, be it the players and/or coaches. No wonder the defense gets tired.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Coach Walters really started from behind the 8-ball. Late choice of coach who had to make do with what was available, and for a first-time coach he did well. Blame O line problems and secondary problems on the last coach who left the cupboard bare having these problems when he was coach. Note how one of the better O linemen went into the transfer portal, he knew what to expect this year. Walter's tried to fix these problems with the best players available, he can't be faulted that no better players were out there that wanted to come to Purdue.

So he could have made some better choices during the game, but after all this was his first game as a head coach. When his recruits arrive in a few years things should get better. Hopefully adjustments can be made on both offense and defense to take care of some of the problems. It would have been nice to see them made during the game, for instance instead of seeing multiple plays made to score a few yard touchdown running the same ineffective play over and over again.

But what I find disturbing this season and last season is that when the team is ahead the offense quits playing and scoring unless the opponents score. It's amazing how then they can march down the length of the field and score, but then return to their complacency, be it the players and/or coaches. No wonder the defense gets tired.
In the age of the transfer portal I dont think we can use the excuse so and so left the cupboard bare. The secondary guys Walters brought in are actually substantially more talented than what we've had in the past..at least on paper.

Reactions: RossMackey

If this were a graduate- level course in Rationalization, this offering would earn magnum cum laude.

I will gladly concede that I jumped the gun if CRW and staff turn this around, but the lack of ability to recognize and adjust in-game was astonishing— for a staff that talks such a good game to the press.

As others have indicated, the “short prep time” rationale is a rather lame cop-out in today’s game, ESPECIALLY when you look at what ol’ coach Prime did yesterday to TCU….

I’m hoping I see firsthand next Saturday why CRW was a good hire.

Disagree the biggest issue is that our oc can't scheme the ball away from our oline weakness.

Disagree the biggest issue is that our oc can't scheme the ball away from our oline weakness.
Yup. We move Card outside the pocket and run more to the tackles (which we’re always going to be our strength) we win this game…and that’s with an abysmal defensive performance. We have dudes. We COULD beat 7-9 teams on the schedule based on talent alone…but coaching is that other 20% and it only cared how it looked on tv when the cameras were on on Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT