ADVERTISEMENT

Did a TE leave?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
See the subject title on KHC and source was Mike Carmin. Kyle Bilodeau an incoming 4*, but never saw the field much if at all. Looks like Paul Piferi was climbing the charts and reality is it happens.
Hope it was Kyle's choice and nothing more behind the story. I would have expected to see a Portal Transfer vs leaving the team.

He is staying at purdue through december then hitting the portal.

He was 4th on the depth chart.

Reactions: pboiler18
See the subject title on KHC and source was Mike Carmin. Kyle Bilodeau an incoming 4*, but never saw the field much if at all. Looks like Paul Piferi was climbing the charts and reality is it happens.
Hope it was Kyle's choice and nothing more behind the story. I would have expected to see a Portal Transfer vs leaving the team.
To me not surprising.. I’m sure he’s just as likely to be a good guy as any other random person from society, but If you watched the UConn game it looked … ehhh, and.. it was UConn, who really should have had a dog food instead of a dog for their mascot

We hit about 50%.
Can lymon come back due to covid ? JB paxson? Man I hope old JB didn’t look too close at what George was doing these last few years.

man.. I can’t believe we wasted one of George’s three years on Diaco my god

We hit about 50%.
Probably less than 50% for non WR 4*.
For guys who you build a recruiting class around, that number needs to be much higher. These are the guys you want to pencil in as 2-3 year starters. Guys who you promise not to over recruit their position or simply can’t get another quality guy to sign for fear playing time. When these guys never see the field it is a big loss. Fortunately the TE position can sustain this, but recently some of the DL and RB misses have really hurt.

Probably less than 50% for non WR 4*.
For guys who you build a recruiting class around, that number needs to be much higher. These are the guys you want to pencil in as 2-3 year starters. Guys who you promise not to over recruit their position or simply can’t get another quality guy to sign for fear playing time. When these guys never see the field it is a big loss. Fortunately the TE position can sustain this, but recently some of the DL and RB misses have really hurt.
We’ve had 3 4 star dl in brohms tenure. Only one was a bust

there weren’t any 4 stars. Murphy got downgraded before signing day.

We’ve had 3 4 star dl in brohms tenure. Only one was a bust

there weren’t any 4 stars. Murphy got downgraded before signing day.
Mary Jane Murphy is still showing as a 4-star on 247. In my mind I wasn't restricting it to only Rivals or Composite. Outside of WR, for what you would hope for from a 4* there has been 1 stud, 2 solid starters, and 5 other guys who attended practice and ate at training tables.

Karlaftis = rock star
Grant = solid
Hartwig = solid

Alaimo = tbd but its getting late...
Hudgins (Rivals) = tbd but its getting late...

Murphy (Composite) = bust
Faucheux (Rivals) = bust
Bilodeau (247) = bust

Yanni = too soon

Bell = rock star (WR)
Wright = solid, potential star (WR)
Yaseen = promising (WR)
Rice = potential (WR)
Carr = bust (WR)

Mary Jane Murphy is still showing as a 4-star on 247. In my mind I wasn't restricting it to only Rivals or Composite. Outside of WR, for what you would hope for from a 4* there has been 1 stud, 2 solid starters, and 5 other guys who attended practice and ate at training tables.

Karlaftis = rock star
Grant = solid
Hartwig = solid

Alaimo = tbd but its getting late...
Hudgins (Rivals) = tbd but its getting late...

Murphy (Composite) = bust
Faucheux (Rivals) = bust
Bilodeau (247) = bust

Yanni = too soon

Bell = rock star (WR)
Wright = solid, potential star (WR)
Yaseen = promising (WR)
Rice = potential (WR)
Carr = bust (WR)
So out of those you didnt label TBD, 5 were hits out of 10.

So out of those you didnt label TBD, 5 were hits out of 10.
50% isn't high enough if the bar is set at solid contributor. This is an issue that goes back to the Tiller years. Admittedly, it is probably not as bad now as it was 10-15 years ago. IMO there is a percentage of kids who choose Purdue because they want a Big Ten school but don't want to bust their ass to earn a spot on the depth chart.

50% isn't high enough if the bar is set at solid contributor. This is an issue that goes back to the Tiller years. Admittedly, it is probably not as bad now as it was 10-15 years ago. IMO there is a percentage of kids who choose Purdue because they want a Big Ten school but don't want to bust their ass to earn a spot on the depth chart.
I went back to the start of Rivals rankings. If you remove tbds. its about 50%. The DVD and Paxson years back to back i think are swaying your opinion.

I went back to the start of Rivals rankings. If you remove tbds. its about 50%. The DVD and Paxson years back to back i think are swaying your opinion.
Do you think that only 50% of 4* recruits ever seeing the field on game day is a reasonable expectation?

To me that seems to be more of a 3* expectation. I would expect 4* to be more like 75% seeing the field, 50% multi year starters, 25% all conference. We seem to hit the high end enough but not the minimum expectation, which has a domino effect and forces less talented players into the depth chart.

Do you think that only 50% of 4* recruits ever seeing the field on game day is a reasonable expectation?

To me that seems to be more of a 3* expectation. I would expect 4* to be more like 75% seeing the field, 50% multi year starters, 25% all conference. We seem to hit the high end enough but not the minimum expectation, which has a domino effect and forces less talented players into the depth chart.
Rivals had someone come on kc once and say that they could never pretend to rate who will be good, because so many are late bloomers and externalities to athleticism like work ethic etc.

All they are actually rating with any certainty is the likelihood that a player will be an early contributor. George was a five star regardless of rivals and their camp situation.. he was pretty much good from day one. Ranking matches.

we have four stars flop. Many are boom or bust prospects. But you get as many as you can and for every bust you can hopefully cancel it out with a guy who is a walk on being the third highest rated passer in the nation.

Reactions: krf3632
Do you think 50% of 4* recruits ever seeing the field on game day is a reasonable expectation?

To me that seems to be more of a 3* expectation. I would expect 4* to be more like 75% seeing the field, 50% multi year starters, 25% all conference. We seem to hit the high end 25% but not the minimum expectation, which has a domino effect and forces less talented players into the depth chart.
I put the threshold at starter.

I know most laugh at rankings, but to me there is little difference between a 5.8 4 star and a 5.7 3 star. Those guys should be solid starters for you. Once you get a top 150 prospect, like GK, Baker, Lymon and Bell, you should have studs. GK and Bell were. Baker was a multi year starter and had a cup of coffee in the pros. Lymon was a flop

I was a big believer that we only had 7 players who established themselves as big ten level quality starters before the season … look what we have going into this season

QB Oconnell
TE Durham
WR Wright
WR Thompson
C Hartwig
OT Miller

NT Johnson
LB Graham
CB Brown
S Allen
S Grant
CB Trice

That’s 12 guys with many many more who’ve seen game action who could show on day one that despite not proving it yet, they were on their way:

RB Doerue
TE Miller
WR Yaseen
WR Rice
OG Holstege
OT Mbow
OT Moussa

DT Deen
LB Douglas

with yet another wave throughout the season.

that’s much more important than four star hit rate. That’s how northwestern has had all the success they’ve had under Fitzgerald with the academic constraints they have.

I know most laugh at rankings, but to me there is little difference between a 5.8 4 star and a 5.7 3 star. Those guys should be solid starters for you. Once you get a top 150 prospect, like GK, Baker, Lymon and Bell, you should have studs. GK and Bell were. Baker was a multi year starter and had a cup of coffee in the pros. Lymon was a flop
Lymon only a flop cause of what was missing upstairs.. his performance vs ND was unreal .. not just the yards but being cracked in the chest by Zbilowski and watching Tommy just fall off of him while he took off and sprinted to the end zone.

Say with a straight face that there's a 50/50 shot that Yanni never starts for Purdue, and you're ok with that.

Lymon only a flop cause of what was missing upstairs.. his performance vs ND was unreal .. not just the yards but being cracked in the chest by Zbilowski and watching Tommy just fall off of him while he took off and sprinted to the end zone.

Yeah, i remember that game. Then the dude got stabbed and turned pro. Dafuq.

Say with a straight face that there's a 50/50 shot that Yanni never starts for Purdue, and you're ok with that.

Im fine with that. Dude is playing LEO now. Shit happens. We have another 4 star freshman coming in behind him.

Im fine with that. Dude is playing LEO now. Shit happens. We have another 4 star freshman coming in behind him.
Ok, I know your perspective now. Think about 95% of people here would predict that he starts at some point in his career due to the recruiting hype. Many people were talking this time last year about him walking right into a starting LB role. People are saying similar things about Strickland plugging in for GK.

Back to the original discussion point, I think we agreed in there somewhere that Bilodeau being a bust is somewhat typical, or at least not atypical, for our 4* recruits.

Ok, I know your perspective now. Think about 95% of people here would predict that he starts at some point in his career due to the recruiting hype. Many people were talking this time last year about him walking right into a starting LB role.

Back to the original discussion point, I think we agreed in there somewhere that Bilodeau being a bust is somewhat typical, or at least not atypical, for our 4* recruits.
I think Yanni is overhyped because he is a local kid and the younger brother of a recent All American. I think there is a reason he didnt have near the offers you would expect for a 4 star.

Reactions: krf3632
I think Yanni is overhyped because he is a local kid and the younger brother of a recent All American. I think there is a reason he didnt have near the offers you would expect for a 4 star.
UM, ND, OSU, PSU don't do it for you?

Most of those dried up. Verbal offers are horseshit. Watch who sends paper offers on Aug 1. By the end it was Cal, Wisky, Purdue
Word up here was Wisky cooled on him and went after another player. Who cares? We have him and if he recovers well from his H.S. injury, he may be a solid contributor to our Boilers. I'm fine with that.
As evidenced by history and this discussion, 50% of high profile 4* players are hit and miss.

It is well known that NW and Wisky have feasted for years off of 3 star athletes that are both trainable and coachable. Much rather have a load of that talent than head case 5* and 4*'s.

Hell, Pitt, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Ole Miss, Oregon and Penn State have plunked down a scholie for an 8th grader!? His head & his bank account from NIL will be so big by the time he shows up to one of that campuses he may end up being a BUST as nobody will like the attitude and who knows if he can be coachable?

The NIL will be a factor that we haven't seen completely unfold yet. In 5 years, a lot can change the complexion of this dynamic college sport. I can only imagine the coddling that some players will need in order to consider a college. Sorry, I digress, but this discussion makes me wonder where this may end up in 5,10, or 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT